lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Kreia handmaiden's mother?
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2008, 02:16 AM   #11
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
Why wasn’t that revealed in the game itself?
Wasn't relevant to the main plot, and Avellone hasn't ever been one to make things explicit in his games*. I've my own suspicion that he likes to keep fans guessing.

*Heck, it took me 3.5 years until after I'd played TSL to have what I'd (now) consider a solid grasp of the plot. And that's mostly thanks to Scorchy's LP. I just wish I'd read it before my interview with him.

Quote:
Kreia died, end of story. What would be the point of not revealing it after the game’s events
Because it was never intended to be (explicitly) revealed.

Quote:
because now it becomes a side issue which really weakens the plot behind it if it were true.
How so?

Quote:
Why hasn’t it been revealed after 3 ½ years since the game has been released? What are they waiting for?
See the reply above my previous one.

Quote:
Could you imagine if they were to leave hints about the Revan revelation, but never actually revealed in K1, but revealed in TSL?
That would be called leaving the game unfinished*. Kreia's identity, again, is irrelevant to TSL's main plot.

* Actually, if enough references were cleaned up KotOR could still have a solid plot without the PC being Revan. Albeit a terrible one lacking in any meaning and deeper themes (or at least as deep as KotOR's were able to get).

Quote:
The female Exile is now considered the canon way of playing the game.
As we don't know at what point LA decided a female Exile was canon that's not something we can postulate on. I'd be inclined to guess they decided after the game was released, as there are numerous references in the game's dialogue files that refer to the Exile as male. That or the devs simply didn't like a female Exile being canon and showed their disregard for the idea in their dialogues. Either way it debunks the idea Avellone was writing with canon in mind (something I can't ever see him doing, given how much he values player choice).

Quote:
The hints used to support the theory they’re the same person are easily debunked
Let's see you debunk them, then. For ease of reference, here they all are in a nutshell: http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/KOTOR%...058/index.html

Quote:
We were told that no twists were going to be in TSL. There’s a hint left in one of the dialogue files about that
Good thing Kreia being Aren Kae isn't a 'Luke I'm your dad!'-level twist.

Quote:
Kreia makes it clear that she was cast out because of her teachings and beliefs. It was also stated that Kae was exiled for having a child. It was also stated that Kae was exiled for having a child.
Neither are exclusive reasons. It could very well have been both and probably was.

Quote:
In TSL, it was clear that Kreia is against love
Against the Exile being in love, sure, but what makes you think that? (And as so much of Kreia's character rests on her being a hypocrite I doubt she was.)

Quote:
If she did believe in love, she wouldn’t have changed her mind about it because that would prove in her mind that one of the Jedi teachings was correct
I think Kreia would've been smart enough to realize what that was.

Quote:
If there were any issues she agreed with the Jedi on; it would be teachings she already believed in before her exile.
Being? Kreia hates the Jedi. And the Sith, too, to be fair.

Quote:
Kreia was on a mission to prove that she was right and the Jedi were wrong.
Kudos goes to you for recognizing that. Everything she does in the game stems from self-actualization.

Quote:
Kreia serving under Revan during the Mandalorian Wars is something I can’t picture her doing.
Given that we hear it from Kreia, I'd take it with a grain of salt. Especially since she wouldn't have benefited from telling the Exile the truth.

Quote:
I believe it was stated that the Jedi thought Kreia “died” during the Mandalorian Wars; never stating she was killed.
I am relatively certain being killed was the leading cause of death in the Mandalorian Wars.

Quote:
Kreia hates Atris with a passion.
How did you figure that? I got the impression she's more bemused with her than anything else.

Quote:
Why would she want to leave her child with Atris of all people?
The hatred you think she has for Atris aside, because Kreia had no control over the Handmaiden at that point. In fact as we see in the game it served her purposes to have the Handmaiden serve Atris.

Quote:
I have a great respect for those who can accept the truth when it’s presented in front of them, even if they don’t like it.
I'm glad to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > Kreia handmaiden's mother?