lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: what dissapoints me
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #41
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine
Just wait till they come out with an ambidextrous Jedi with a p4wnz0r hand-switching style, the lightsaber dancing between his hands faster than the opponent can follow. It'd be like in Princess Bride: "I have something to tell you. I am not left-handed."
That's harder than it looks.

I'm ambidextrous, and I can say that switching hands fast as if you didn't had any off-hand is kinda hard to do. We (at least I do) need ten seconds to fully change hands.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #42
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del

I'm ambidextrous, and I can say that switching hands fast as if you didn't had any off-hand is kinda hard to do. We (at least I do) need ten seconds to fully change hands.
Oh. Well, you could always fall back on the "Well they're Jedi, they can do almost anything," card.

/exaggeration.

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2008, 01:03 AM   #43
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del

Practice.

But its true that even for the ambidextrous few have "off-hand" when it comes to specific tasks. I can only write/fps well with my right hand.

But yes, switching hands is useful in swordfights. Remember, you usually get a few inches more if you stab with the left hand, amongst other things such as different attack angles and distance.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #44
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

Current Game: Team Fortress 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
Practice.
QFE.

You can do almost anything if you practice enough. It's called "Learning."

Da_man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #45
Ryazan
Rookie

All you have to do to switch is grip the weapon with both hands for a split second and let go with the hand that was holding it before. It's useful for switching up your attack angles to catch the opponent off guard.
Ryazan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #46
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post

I'm somewhat ambidextrous, I taught myself to play the drums left and right handed, it's fun

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #47
Ryazan
Rookie

Ctrl Alt Del, I'm sure you're exaggerating when you say 10 seconds. Unless your hands are partially paralyzed or something.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 AM   #48
heartless
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired View Post
Its a form that would nullify the advantages of BOTH the tonfa and the lightsaber AT THE SAME TIME.

Go try something like that at a sparring session and you can see how many times you would be pwn3d trying to use a weapon like that. That is why she deserves to be killid by SA I guess.
Whoever adapted the tonfa to be used as a weapon is turning in his grave every time Maris Brood's ludicrous weapons are mentioned.
heartless is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #49
Ryazan
Rookie

PoiuyWired, think about it. If tonfas are so ineffective and unsafe, all that means is that Maris Brood has some serious skill. And she could hold them like regular sabers if she wanted.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 AM   #50
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartless View Post
Whoever adapted the tonfa to be used as a weapon is turning in his grave every time Maris Brood's ludicrous weapons are mentioned.
I am a Balck Belt in karate, and using tonfas as a weapon isn't as hard as it seems. The saber tonfa is a little ludicrous, but with some training, it's doable.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:21 AM   #51
heartless
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_man View Post
I am a Balck Belt in karate, and using tonfas as a weapon isn't as hard as it seems. The saber tonfa is a little ludicrous, but with some training, it's doable.
I'm a black belt in Matsubayashi Ryu Karate and I want to slap the newb who wanted to add tonfas as Jedi weapons. Wassup?

Edit: There is a difference between using tonfas and using lightsaber tonfas. If your teacher has ever tought you to use tonfas, picture lightsabers instead of tonfas. Picture trying to brace a lightsaber tonfa after a swing. Just do it.

I can tell you this much, I've studied okinawan karate since I was 11 years old, I'm 29 now, I've also been a huge Starwars fan. But as soon as I saw Maris Brood and her tonfa lightsabers I wanted to throw up. Simply because anyone who knows anything about melee combat will tell you that her weapons will be more of a disadvantage than anything else. And yes, I've studied tonfa combat.

The Dope Boys are in this. Wassup?

Last edited by heartless; 08-22-2008 at 12:35 AM.
heartless is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2008, 12:26 AM   #52
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

What is so different between tonfas and the other freaky lightsabers that make you people hate them?

Old 08-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #53
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartless View Post
But as soon as I saw Maris Brood and her tonfa lightsabers I wanted to throw up. Simply because anyone who knows anything about melee combat will tell you that her weapons will be more of a disadvantage than anything else. And yes, I've studied tonfa combat.

The Dope Boys are in this. Wassup?
Sure, to an ordinary, earth-bound human they'd be a disadvantage. But you're forgetting about a certain magical energy called the Force.

And I don't see why all these martial arts people get so wound up about these things - it's a fantasy world - it doesn't have to follow real world norms and restraints.

If you forget about these things, and try to enjoy it, you might have a little fun by accident.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Force Unleashed > General > The Secret Apprentice's Logs > what dissapoints me