lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Wired Router Security Question
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
SD Nihil

Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
Wired Router Security Question

Hello. I currently have a WRT54GS wireless Linksys router which has been secured by encryption, passwords, its firewall, tcp/ip protection, etc. I use the router for xbox live by way of an ethernet cable. I had this wirelles router and not a regular wired router because of a prevous computer on a network. Now I don't need the wireless aspect.

If I get a wired router are the security issues wirless routers are prone to not apply to wired routers? If so are there different things you must do to secure your wired router, or do you secure it the same way you do a wireless router. Thanks.

SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
Hello. I currently have a WRT54GS wireless Linksys router which has been secured by encryption, passwords, its firewall, tcp/ip protection, etc. I use the router for xbox live by way of an ethernet cable. I had this wirelles router and not a regular wired router because of a prevous computer on a network. Now I don't need the wireless aspect.

If I get a wired router are the security issues wirless routers are prone to not apply to wired routers? If so are there different things you must do to secure your wired router, or do you secure it the same way you do a wireless router. Thanks.
Um I think this is the wrong category for that. I think a mod should move this topic

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Of course there are common security issues for wired or wireless, but you do have the added WEP/WPA/PSK type encryption ontop of a wireless protocol.

If you stick to your standard security measures, tcp/ip protection, firewall, safe browsing habits etc you will be fine. There are also apps like peerguardian and zonealarm(ontop of AVirus adware etc) that people use to keep their pc safe from stuff making it through via web to pc.

always good to put a password on your router config access to stop eager beavers try to get in and fiddle with your junk

good luck

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 09-03-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
I've been using the ZoneAlarm/Avast/CCleaner combo for years now, with wired and wireless routers, and I've never had any major issues with viruses or spyware.

If I were you I'd keep the wireless for ease of use, you never know when someone will buy you a nice new laptop or iPhone for Xmas which would be much easier connected wireless to the internet

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Wired Router Security Question