lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: One quick question about Vista
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-02-2008, 03:15 AM   #1
MajinMikeyX
Rookie

Current Game: Halo Reach, BFBC2
One quick question about Vista

Ok, Let's say I have an XP computer(I do) and have KotOR installed and have many game saves on it(I do), and let's say I get a new computer that's Vista.
Can I install KotOR(Best of PC version so it should work on vista) on the new computer and use my game saves from the XP computer on the new vista computer? Will they be compatible? I'm fearing that they wouldn't, but I might be wrong. Please, anyone who's knowledgeable about this, please reply.

I'm asking because I might get a new computer and it may be vista(I have no control of what my parents get when it comes to computers )

"All too easy."
MajinMikeyX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Unless I'm missing something, no, you won't be able to keep your save games, I'm sorry to say, but someone else who's more technical with computers might correct me, but I don't think it's possible.

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Well, you could transfer the saves to a memory stick or similar, and then see if they'd work, but I really don't know anything about Vista, so they might work and they might not.

But I think they would be ok, because it's the game they use, not the operating system.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
GodsillY
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
Well, you could transfer the saves to a memory stick or similar, and then see if they'd work, but I really don't know anything about Vista, so they might work and they might not.

But I think they would be ok, because it's the game they use, not the operating system.
Not only that but from what I've heard Vista is supposed to run XP games perfectly fine, so if you do save them to a flashdrive they should definatly run perfectly okay, but I've heard bad things about Vista.
GodsillY is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #5
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
From personal experience, I can regretfully tell you, Vista does not run KOTOR, even the Best of PC version, very well. I got through it, but it took a lot of work and patience.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2008, 02:11 AM   #6
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Moving to appropriate forum... MajinMikeyX, please place thread topics in their proper places.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
yup. Kotor and vista is not a happy marriage!

if you are really attached to KOTOR, and also need vista, one option is to dual boot with XP... There is also the WINE emulator in Linux, but I haven't had a go at that personally.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
It seems KotOR probably runs better under Wine than Vista.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2008, 03:53 AM   #9
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
WINE Is Not an Emulator ^^

PS.: If anyone has any questions problems regarding WINE, please feel free to PM me or post a thread here.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #10
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones View Post
WINE Is Not an Emulator ^^

PS.: If anyone has any questions problems regarding WINE, please feel free to PM me or post a thread here.
Lolz, we all know the acronym Ray...

Yes, is it is "really a compatibility layer" ......[/way cooler huh kids!]

Posting an open thread will be fine, others may benefit from it

Come to think of it Ray/Jmac, you could start a dedicated thread, write a little tutorial on it, explain what it is, and tips and tricks for using it....

It'd make a great sticky thread. Helpful for many, Im sure

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 09-05-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
Come to think of it Ray/Jmac, you could start a dedicated thread, write a little tutorial on it, explain what it is, and tips and tricks for using it....
That'd be kinda useless since Wine sucks ass. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate on Wine or the spirit of the project, I'd love to dump Windows for good, but even some of the Wine repository maintainers have just flat out said "Wine sucks". If you have a problem with an application running under it, you're pretty much **** out of luck, and the commercial version of it, Cedega, is no better in terms of functionality.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

CEDEGA sucks badly, indeed. The transgaming guys also got bad reps from the WINE community, as they were believed to take from the WINE project without giving back. There is also Crossover Office and Crossover Games from the Codeweavers folks, who are doing a pretty decent job.

However, how badly the *real* WINE does suck or not, depends on what you are trying to run with it. Those things (games only) I want to run, run flawlessly. Lucky me, I guess. We also use WINE for some business software at my company, which (now) also runs without any trouble. Although as soon as you involve .Net, SQL Server, or MS' Internet information Server, WINE is worth nothing. On the other hand, WINE does not promise anything like that to run at all. And it will never be able to replace fully Windows. But at least it rendered *my* Windows useless.

If you're too lazy to bug around with any WINE settings there are also open source projects like Play On Linux or Work On Linux both providing a "framework" to set up WINE correctly for whatever application.

As for the compatibility layer, yes, that's more appropriate. WINE does not "emulate" anything (hardware and stuff), it only provides all the Windows APIs to make windows programs happy. And yes, it makes a difference, at least technically, and we're in a tech forum here.

Also, a thread explaining WINE would be pointless, there is more than enough information over at www.winehq.org.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:13 AM   #13
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

ok then WINE sucks, but if you want help on it, PM Ray like he said \o/

OT:
IMO: If you really need KOTOR, just stay on XP, or risk being lost in the miasma

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 09-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
MajinMikeyX
Rookie

Current Game: Halo Reach, BFBC2
Sorry for posting so many things in the wrong place, I'll try to learn from that.
But anyway, I got a new computer with Vista Home Premium or something like that and KotOR, Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy all have been working great. Got them running on the first try AND my save games from XP all work.
1 problem so far is that in the title screen of KotOR, Malak is kind of lagging while the mouse cursor isn't skipping or anything.

"All too easy."
MajinMikeyX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2008, 06:50 AM   #15
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

lolz....interesting to hear about Kotor. Just play it a bit more before making a final call on vista v Kotor!

games based an the quake engine will have no probs in vista. JA worked better for me in vista than it did on xp!

good luck

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 09-15-2008, 07:15 AM   #16
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

If everything else fails use WINE for Windows.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > One quick question about Vista