lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Is Malak cool?
Yes, of course 24 47.06%
No way 11 21.57%
He can go die 16 31.37%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Anyone think Malak looks cool?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
MajinMikeyX
Rookie

Current Game: Halo Reach, BFBC2
Anyone think Malak looks cool?

Well, I sure don't. Wannabe Vader with his Jaw cover thing and his crappy little cape thing. He doesn't even feel like a sith lord when I duel him. He probably thinks he's all tough with his missing jaw injury. Look at Vader, he got both arms cut off, both legs cut off, and was basically cremated. I guess I am comparing him to Vader, the most classic Star Wars villain, the first really, but wasn't Malak somewhat based on Vader? They should've made Malak more of a Bad*** IMO.

"All too easy."
MajinMikeyX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
We need tall imposing villain figures. Besides, lost a jaw. That was original, instead of hand or arm or leg or lung.

He's badass. Like Vader--tho vader is probably angrier.

Yeah, vader had the constant agony of the burns from 23 until death. To be calm and still able to fight almost as badass as he ever did...is impressive.

Look it up--I remember reading somewhere that, yes, Malak was somewhat inspired by vader--they got orders from lucasarts that the main villain had to have a familiar feel.

He'd be more of a wannabe if he were dressed in black.

Nihilus is more Vader esque.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 03:56 AM   #3
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
Malak was nothing compared to Revan in the appearance department. Sure Malak looked threatening enough being 7 feet tall. But Revan actually looked like you were staring into the darkside of the force. He deserved to be Dark Lord of the Sith. Though I thought Nihilus felt like an avatar of the darkside of the force. But that is a completely different topic.

Malak seemed like a homage to other major Sith Lords in the new republic era.

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 04:05 AM   #4
MajinMikeyX
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
We need tall imposing villain figures. Besides, lost a jaw. That was original, instead of hand or arm or leg or lung.

He's badass. Like Vader--tho vader is probably angrier.

I guess your right about originality, but he should've had full cape and maybe different color outfit. His outfit just reminds me of something I can't put my finger on....

So we can say badass without censoring it? I'm relatively new to forums so I don't know these rules that much.

"All too easy."
Old 08-29-2008, 05:38 AM   #5
Trex
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Loved his head. Skintight red bodysuit occasionally looked a bit too camp though.

KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC : THE JEDI MASTERS
PLAY THE TOTAL CONVERSION MOD NOW! . | If you're interested, my almighty fanfic can be read here.
Trex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
Burnseyy
Forumite

I voted 'no way'.

I mean, come on, he has no chin!

And his suit was just so...

...*shudder*

"If God is a DJ, then life is a dance floor, love is the rhythm and you are the music."

Burnseyy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I liked the fact that Malak wore red instead of black. Little details like that can make a character seem more original.

Fake edit:
Quote:
And his suit was just so...

...*shudder*
Thank you for conveying no actual information.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinMikeyX View Post
but wasn't Malak somewhat based on Vader?
Somewhat? He's an utter ripoff of Vader. Both are tall as you can see, harbors grieving injuries, have a scene where they purposedly scare an imperial officer and whatnot. Vader is better though, simply because Malak doesn't have sons randonly distributed throught the galaxy.

And he can go die.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
Revan 411
Forumite

Malak sucks. I hate Malak. He's your typical Star Wars villain, and he just blows up everything for no reason.

He's a typical archetype, that's it.

I voted ''He can go die''

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
Burnseyy
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Thank you for conveying no actual information.
I think the less information on Malak's outfit, the better...

"If God is a DJ, then life is a dance floor, love is the rhythm and you are the music."

Burnseyy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #11
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
See above.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
Corinthian
Banned

I liked the way he LOOKED. The only problem is that he had a mediocre voice actor, was pretty much a ripoff of Vader, and he had no motivations beyond MAIM KILL BURN MAIM KILL BURN. And frankly, Kharn the Betrayer and the Khorne Berserkers provide all the mindless slaughter in my life.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
GodsillY
Rookie

I hated Malak, he was completely unoriginal, his outfit did not do anything to make me think star wars super villian, and when I fought him he seemed like more of a pussy than anyform of badass, but that has nothing to do with him looking cool.

He can and should go die.
GodsillY is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 AM   #14
MajinMikeyX
Rookie

Well, lucky for all of you people who voted, "He can go die," hooray for his death by your own hand

"All too easy."
Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I think BioWare did a fantastic job on him, but could have probably worked on his personality and voice acting to make him sound less like a pussy.

Aesthetically, I thought Malak looked awesome. Missing Jaw Injury, red tights, awesome-weird half-cape, tattooed bald head: very offbeat looks for a seemingly killer Sith Lord.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #16
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Moved to Republic Newsfeed from Telos Tourist Bureau.

If you think he's too easy to beat, take your uber-mods out of the game and add in one of the hard mode mods.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #17
Ascendant_Justice
Rookie

Current Game: Half Life 2 pending
I love his voice :\. I think his laughing can be a little forced and cheesy at times, but hey, he's missing a jaw. Regardless, I always look forward to the scenes with him in it. I love his "pathetic planet" line at Taris.

I don't really mind his suit either. Skintight red is probably pretty fashionable in the Star Wars universe, seeing as how all normal citizens seem to wear rags.
Ascendant_Justice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #18
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendant_Justice View Post
I love his voice
I wouldn't go that far but I certainly like Raphael voice acting.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #19
MajinMikeyX
Rookie

I think I'll download that one mod that makes Malak like, super-uber or somethin, with his stats being boosted VERY high. Then me and him will be even(I made my own items or edited other items to make my PC very strong)
Even though, I don't think Malak is even worthy of a Mod that makes him super-strong. He's not the type to be all-powerful to me. He's more like the talk the talk but can't walk the walk kinda guy IMO.

"All too easy."
Old 09-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
I liked the way he LOOKED. The only problem is that he had a mediocre voice actor, was pretty much a ripoff of Vader, and he had no motivations beyond MAIM KILL BURN MAIM KILL BURN. And frankly, Kharn the Betrayer and the Khorne Berserkers provide all the mindless slaughter in my life.
Agreed I am however not a fan of the missing jaw look. I actually did like his role in TSL.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #21
DarthVandar205

I really dont like villians that just mindlessly kill things for no reason. If theyre gonna do something bad at least do it for a reason. Also Revan was the better sith because at least he was a better military tactician and he planned things better and destroyed things for specific reasons. Also he didnt have any appearant injuries besides the whole mind wipe thing and he could fight with two lightsabers and actually had a costume that hid his whole face. Least if he was gonna face Malak he would do it face to face and not just try to blow him up on his ship.
DarthVandar205 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #22
Corinthian
Banned

To be fair, the whole Evil For Evil's sake is kind of par for the course when it comes to Star Wars.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:28 AM   #23
Pwnzor326
Rookie

Current Game: TES III: Morrowind
Malak was pretty badass
Pwnzor326 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #24
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVandar205 View Post
I really dont like villians that just mindlessly kill things for no reason. If theyre gonna do something bad at least do it for a reason.
I was under the impression that Malak did what he did to become the supreme ruler of the galaxy.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #25
Rachel_Ewok

Current Game: Bioshock! =3
I always thought he was cool....

But he needed to lose the wierd head tatoos (made him look like that kid in that kid's show on Nickelodeon)... He also needed to lose the bright orange, and ditch the purple... He needed to develop some Sith-Lord-Style-Sense.

I liked his voice though, and the fact that it was his *jaw* missing is pretty flippin sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVandar205 View Post
Also Revan was the better sith because at least he was a better military tactician and he planned things better and destroyed things for specific reasons.
Uhm... Revan was a *girl*.... =P (Just kidding with you... of coruse. XD)

This siggy is about truth, beauty, freedom, and above all things love.
Rachel_Ewok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #26
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel_Ewok View Post
He needed to develop some Sith-Lord-Style-Sense.
He was brave enough to break the mould in that regard.

He wanted to set himself apart from all the other boring, black-clad sith lords - so why not go completely opposite with a nice orange?

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #27
Rachel_Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
He was brave enough to break the mould in that regard.

He wanted to set himself apart from all the other boring, black-clad sith lords - so why not go completely opposite with a nice orange?

It made him kinda look like he just escaped from prison, and decided to keep his jumpsuit but add some purple cloth.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #28
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel_Ewok
It made him kinda look like he just escaped from prison, and decided to keep his jumpsuit but add some purple cloth.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I hate the character, and most elements about him - but at least it was nice to see something other than black robes.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #29
Sidias.R
Rookie

I like Malak. First, he has awesome looks, plus, he's tall.
As for his skills, he might be easy to beat, but he does have skills of a real warrior. Malak is no match for Revan anymore however.

To all who dislike Malak; *Very silent*.. no comment.
Sidias.R is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #30
Rachel_Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
Oh, don't get me wrong, I hate the character, and most elements about him - but at least it was nice to see something other than black robes.
Fair enough.

But I'm still not likin' the head tattoos. =P

Old 09-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #31
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Malak is my favorite villain in the series, and one of my favorite Dark Lords of the Sith. Revan is overrated.

And yes, he looks wicked awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #32
DarthVandar205

Quote:
I was under the impression that Malak did what he did to become the supreme ruler of the galaxy.
Seems like they all have that goal but there are other better ways of doing that than destroying everything because if you blow up everything, what is left to rule over? I would think itd be better to scare people and make them "think" youre gonna blow them up most of the time and just pick and chose when it would be best to actually destroy something, like when it would benefit you somehow. Thats why these badguys who show no mercy and kill/destroy everything for the sake of it dont last. Its better to just keep people guessing about your intentions or make them at least think youre doing everything for a good reason and their benefit.
DarthVandar205 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #33
Allronix
Forumite

He was probably more interesting before he went Dark. He's has brute strength, and is a wicked fighter, but something of an idiot. His tactical sense appears to go no further than "take club; smash obstacle."

Take Telos for example. The place was a potential hiding spot for Jedi, was crawling with failed apprentices and their FS descendants, had some impressive military structures, and was on a moderately-traveled Outer Rim hyperspace run.

Revan? Okay, plant a handful of spies among the Agri-Corps and send some "recruiters" to sniff out anyone else with ernough anger and Force potential to be useful. Then, stratigically hit the cities, send HK-47 to nail the local government, and activate that fifth column you've put in place to convince the locals that signing on is a good idea.

Malak? Bomb planet to ash. No military salvage, no infrastructure. No Dark Jedi recruits. Just a useless ball of poison rock. Total waste. Worse, the Republic has an atrocity to rally around and inspire their troops. Malak proves he's good for brute force, but that's the ONLY thing that guy can do. He's good as an enforcer, but as the one who will carry out the Big Plan? Not so much.

I'm betting Revan was at least shopping for a second apprentice, if not already training one (see the most excellent Brotherhood of Shadow mod...Matilda would be an excellent choice), and Malak's attack on Revan's ship was part to usurp the titla, but primarily to save his hide.

Allronix - KOTOR Filefront Supporter
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/

Please bring your mods. They'll give them a good home!
Allronix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #34
Sidias.R
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allronix View Post
Malak? Bomb planet to ash. No military salvage, no infrastructure. No Dark Jedi recruits. Just a useless ball of poison rock. Total waste. Worse, the Republic has an atrocity to rally around and inspire their troops. Malak proves he's good for brute force, but that's the ONLY thing that guy can do. He's good as an enforcer, but as the one who will carry out the Big Plan? Not so much.
Well, maybe Malak did not need all those worthless people on Taris, as there weren't any force sensitives on Taris except for Bastila, the Sith apprentice and your PC.

As for Matilda, I agree with you.
Sidias.R is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #35
Corinthian
Banned

Of course, most of this Revan love is based off of stuff that's stated in TSL which pretty much consists solely of unabashed Revan fanboyism.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:25 AM   #36
Allronix
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM_Bane View Post
Well, maybe Malak did not need all those worthless people on Taris, as there weren't any force sensitives on Taris except for Bastila, the Sith apprentice and your PC.

As for Matilda, I agree with you.
Telos, friend. As in Carth's homeworld, and the spot Atris was slumming in. Not Taris as in "jerks on top, rakghouls below." Though, with the Padawan Massacare backstory, who knows?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:08 AM   #37
The Betrayer
Forumite

Current Game: The Godfather II
Helpful! 
Malak is a barbarian Sith Lord. Pretty unique in the sense that he's one of the few who rely on lightsaber skill, not wisdom nor force.

Plus he wears red and looks awesome.

OMNIA MUTANTUR NIHIL INTERIT.
The Betrayer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #38
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allronix View Post
Analyzing Malak's past, one could easily identify his eagerness to blow particularly diffcult to remove obstacles to smithreens. However, despite his recklessness and lack of subttlety, even Malak must have enough tactical sense to stay on top of the Sith food-chain for the time he did.

That's just a guess, though. I think he wouldn't blow Coruscant of the space charts if he had the chance to. He'd much rather invade the planet with his natural brutality, but would try his best to conservate the economy of the place. Of course, the Star Forge might have been the reason as to why he could keep his throne.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.

Last edited by Ctrl Alt Del; 09-07-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #39
Corinthian
Banned

You're judging a lot about Malak based on the fact that he nuked Telos and Taris. Considering, according to TSL, Malak destroyed Telos on Revan's orders, and Taris was a useless world that was harboring two of Malak's greatest enemies, obliterating the planet seems like the most logical thing to do to me.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #40
Allronix
Forumite

Well, those and Dantooine are the only examples we get to see in-game.

As for how he was able to keep it? Well, it's an example of a fundamental flaw in the Sith before Bane said "Screw this, two only." Namely, that the title was held by not whoever was the most clever or devious, but whoever could kill the last guy. This type of succession favored folks who were really good with brawling at the expense of the expense of the long-term planners.

And while Revan wanted Telos, the way it was taken is not Revan's style. As we saw in the Mical conversation, Revan's style was very surgical. Kill politicians, hit a few cities, and keep the infrastructure intact. Furthermore, Atton admits that the war would be won by whoever had the most saber-swingers. Telos would have been a goldmine with all those Sensitives the Jedi discarded. And even a (at the time) low-level merc like Canderous knew that Malak gave the order. If such a thing was common knowledge, it definitely implies that Revan and Malak had a disagreement over it.

Yes, Revan wanted the planet. Yes, Revan told Malak to take the planet. However, I'm of the theory that it was a test to see if Malak had any tactical sence or grasp of the Big Picture. Malak's carpet bombing proved he didn't, and Revan (being the tactical brains of the operation) probably told him in no undertain terms what a fool he was and how much was wasted.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Republic Newsfeed > Anyone think Malak looks cool?