lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Reasons why you play Kotor over and over again?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Knight Of Honor
Rookie

Reasons why you play Kotor over and over again?

I imagine many of us do So what is your reasons?

If we are all clones, why am i the only one with a sense of humor?
Knight Of Honor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
The game is fun. Duh!

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Burnseyy
Forumite

I actually don't know...

I mean the games fun, but I must have played it at least 20 times through!

Yeah, I'm addicted

"If God is a DJ, then life is a dance floor, love is the rhythm and you are the music."

Burnseyy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

I've played it... twice. If it was an adventure game I probably would've played it more.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
I think it has something to do with being a Star Wars game.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Gizka smashing!

At first I played it over and over to see how the different choices and actions affected the story line. Now I play it when a mod comes out I want to see or when I just want to visit some old friends. I play TSL more than KOTOR, but every once in a while I have to play KOTOR again.

Last edited by mimartin; 08-29-2008 at 02:51 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Every once in a while, when a very large and reputable mod comes out, I give one of the KOTOR games a play-through, but not under any other circumstances. Strictly speaking, I don't play it "over and over" again, because the phrase implies not having breathing room.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
Revan 411
Forumite

I played KOTOR when it came out, the game was fun at first, but then I got bored of it fast, which was.... in December 20th 2004, when KOTOR II came out.

I stopped playing KOTOR I that time, and played KOTOR II, I had so much fun with KOTOR II, I had more fun with KII then KI.

So, I played KOTOR I about around... 10 times. I haven't played the game in a LONG time, I don't remember that much from it...

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
Allronix
Forumite

The characters. Seriously, I put the game up for a while as I worked like crazy in another fandom, and got around to reinstalling it.

I forgot how much I adored Mission's good cheer and kind nature. I forgot how much I wanted to pull Juhani into a hug when she surrenders at the grove. I forgot how poetic Canderous was capable of being, and how Carth was really an honest, decent guy once he pulled his act together. I forgot how brittle Bastila truly was, and Vrook's gruff demeanor (though I heckled the screen with "Hey, I'm not gonna be the death of you - that's the OTHER GUY!")

It is a good, solid story. Classically Star Wars in in every sense of the word - epic scope, high adventure, pathos, romance, and humor. I forgot how much I missed it.

Allronix - KOTOR Filefront Supporter
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/

Please bring your mods. They'll give them a good home!
Allronix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
HIGH ON PIE 14
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man_2423 View Post
The game is fun. Duh!
QFT.

~HOP

Viva La Resistance!
HIGH ON PIE 14 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
I like to go back and see what I missed the first time. Even after a dozen playthroughs, I still come across new content... or rather new to me.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
mattig89ch

I still haven't gotten HK-47's conversation options. I've barely used him till this point. But i'm going to give it another play-through and use him as a main party member.
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Oh, HK was a perm. party member once I got him!

I have no clue why I keep playing it. Maybe I just want to try out some of the other heads, I dunno...

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
Great Scott!

I never played through it and don't intend to. Just didn't appeal to me, and seeing how this whole place is basically a KotOR forum, I know everybody hates me now.

Hill Valley

"A nice place to live."
Great Scott! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #15
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
You're a horrible person.

Need Help? massage message me
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #16
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Scott! View Post
Just didn't appeal to me, and seeing how this whole place is basically a KotOR forum, I know everybody hates me now.
Nah. I never intended to play it, but then I received it as gift. (I thought it would be discourteous not to play it) I'm guessing you're here because it's currently the most active forum.

Last edited by Giant Graffiti; 09-18-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #17
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
That's what we like to call a "+1 post", where the poster clearly has nothing to contribute but posts anyway just to add a numeral to his post count. This is common among obsessive posters, younger posters, and posters with lobotomies. The only cure for this particularly devastating disease is to remove the afflicted user's post count and return it to zero (0).

-Doctor Iny

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #18
Great Scott!

I have it, played it a bit, and just didn't have fun. I know a lot of work was put into the game, and understand the large fanbase, but I don't really understand why it's like the most popular Star Wars thing to date.

When I said this whole place, I meant LucasForums as a whole because they seem to talk about KotOR modding and stuff more than anything. I just click New Posts to find out what's up and this thread title made me laugh. I'm not bashing it, I just don't get the huge deal over it.

Okay Inyri, so what exactly was YOUR post?

Hill Valley

"A nice place to live."
Great Scott! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #19
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
My post was humor.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #20
Ferc Kast
Modder

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
You're a horrible person.
QFT.

Anyways, I play KotOR multiple times due to humor, killing-sprees, modding and, oh yeah, kill any "free time" I have. Though, just a couple days ago, I did my first full playthrough of the year. I mostly tend to "mod & go", due to bad habits. I almost forgot entirely about the revelation scene with Malak. As I thought when I first completed KotOR, it is still very enjoyable to me.

Ferc Kast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #21
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Well, my number one reason is that I am a gigantic Star Wars fan, so I play my games over and over again and I love them. The second reason is all the modding capabilities. It's always fun to go back and re-experience the game with the newest mods I've accumulated since the last playthrough. It keeps the game semi-fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #22
Feagildin

Current Game: KotOR
It's fun, it feels like Star Wars, and you get to be Darth Revan and a play lightside all at once. Lightsabers are just cool. The game was made well, it is captivating and enjoyable.

Feagildin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #23
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Kotor was one of the first games I picked up for my Xbox back in the day (Circa 2004), and I can remember getting massacred by the Vulkers and Rakghouls my first play through, and having to retreat and toss frag grenades in order to pick up the win. I replayed the game for the same reason every other Kotor fan has; for fun, but to also play through as a different Class, or walk an alternate path (LS/DS).

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #24
Sidias.R
Rookie

The reason why I play KoTOR is because of the modding part. Played and completed it too many times.
The reason why I play TSL is because I like the various things you can do here compared to KoTOR.

Guess we all have our reasons...
Sidias.R is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #25
Ascendant_Justice
Rookie

Current Game: Half Life 2 pending
K1 has always been what kept me from replaying TSL, which I've only played through twice. KotOR is like a cycle for me. I'll stop playing it (usually after completing it), for about 4,5,6 months. Then, all of a sudden, I'll start getting that special feeling, and, after about a week of thinking about it, I'll pick it up and embark on another 60 hour epic. Thing is, whenever that special feeling kicks in, K1 is always just ahead of TSL in terms of nostalgic longing.

I think it's that I just enjoy K1's atmosphere and characters more than TSL, which is strange because I find TSL's characters more developed in certain respects. I guess I just like Bastila too much . The environments of K1 are certainly more appealing to me, as I find many of TSL's to be a bit uninspired. I think the "dark" atmosphere of TSL sort of sucks the ..well, life out of the environments you visit. In K1 the planets were all so different and colorful. TSL's just feel too dank and miserable for me to even want to visit them. K1 also feels more epic to me. While I appreciate TSL's attempt to convey a darker aftermath to the events of K1, I don't find it quite as gripping as its predecessor.

TSL's horrible flaws toward the end also keep me sticking with K1. I anxiously await Team Gizka, however. As soon as that comes out, I'll certainly be purchasing a PC copy of TSL. I'm positive they will enhance TSL to a new level of greatness.
Ascendant_Justice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #26
Pwnzor326
Rookie

Current Game: TES III: Morrowind
I play Kotor because each time I play it I get a different adventure. I can be good one time I can be evil one time. I can have a lesbian relationship with a cat woman and I can insult fish people.
Pwnzor326 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2008, 07:36 AM   #27
Corinthian
Banned

I don't. KotoR is a genuinely good game, but it's not Fallout. It's not Baldur's Gate. It's not Deus Ex. The game is linear, the characters aren't all that deep, the dialogue options are limited...I play through KotoR every few years. I think I've played through it thrice.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #28
TheExile

Well, I don't replay it again as soon as I finish it...

If there's a good and big mod out, we'll I'll replay it!

Now I'm just waiting for TSLRP to come out

*Note: Chapter 8 is out!*
[Fic] The war of the ancients, seen through the eyes of one young men, as he walks the road of destiny... The Triumvirates War

TheExile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2008, 06:24 AM   #29
Bastila Sham
Rookie

I must have played this game 30 times through. So many different DS/LS/NPC permutations to go through! I've had this game since '04 and only recently realized how much banter there is between Bastila and Carth. Always something new to discover.

TSL bites the big one. This game is so much better. It satisfies all my kotor needs.
Bastila Sham is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #30
Chevron 7 locke
Peace and Sanity

Current Game: The Old Republic
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Five times for each game. i had them for about two years before my graphics card went. each time i had a different mod. the reason? I love KOTOR...I love it so much...

Last edited by Chevron 7 locke; 11-27-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Chevron 7 locke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #31
Yar-El
Banned

Current Game: The Witcher
Knights of the Old Republic was new and familiar at the same time. It was Star Wars in a way we have never experienced in gamming.
Yar-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2008, 12:46 AM   #32
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
I guess that I just I have played it 20+ times because it is a fun game. You get a pretty good glimpse of what the Star Wars galaxy was like at that time. You learn a lot. It also has a pretty good storyline...

I don't think that I am addicted though. I haven't played KotOR in several months. I have had K1 & K2 for about 2 years...so ya...

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2008, 01:35 AM   #33
Chevron 7 locke
Peace and Sanity

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Unlike you Rev...I am addicted to kotor. The graphics...the storyline...the heroes and the villians..the romance...the redemptions...it all makes a beautiful game that is really hard to stop playing. i played it for two and a half days straight once.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #34
mattig89ch

While I can't boast that, I play it on and off. I like that its a game you can stop playing for like a month, and then come back to and know exactly where you are.
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #35
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
I'm with Corinth on this one, except I have only compleeted it once, probably has something to do with being unable to play LS.

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #36
Haroth
Rookie

I'm really not a Star Wars person. Yeah, I watch the movies. Sure, I've played a few of the more popular games (Battlefront, Lego, Unleashed, etc.), but the franchise has never really wrapped me in to the point of obsession. KotOR is different. I don't know if its the d20 system, which appeals to the PnP geek in me, or if it's just the fact that I love Jennifer Hale to death. The story is intriguing, the characters have depth, and the plot twists for both games were original and pleasing. It might have something to do with Bioware, too. Second only to Square, I adore most, if not all, of their games. They're the only reason why I'd ever give the new MMO a chance. Whatever the reason, I can't help but indulge my occasional desire to play these games, whether I play it until the end, or I just finish Peragus and Telos.

"Nice to meet you. I'm an assassin.... Whoops. I wasn't supposed to say that."
- Flonne
Haroth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #37
Lance Monance
Rookie

Star Wars and RPG. Best thing in life.
Lance Monance is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #38
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron 7 locke View Post
Unlike you Rev...I am addicted to kotor. The graphics...the storyline...the heroes and the villians..the romance...the redemptions...it all makes a beautiful game that is really hard to stop playing. i played it for two and a half days straight once.

Yes, my friend, you are.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 AM   #39
Chevron 7 locke
Peace and Sanity

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
That's right.

Last edited by Chevron 7 locke; 12-05-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #40
plokoon87
Rookie

Ok, the reason that I play it is because it is like you are actually in one of George Lucas' movies (though Lucas didn't write this story I don't think). That is what is fun. That and just the fact that it is Star Wars and you can be a Jedi, who by the way, is tempted
plokoon87 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Republic Newsfeed > Reasons why you play Kotor over and over again?