lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Universal Healthcare?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #81
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Borderlands
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! LFN Staff Member 
Financially, what's the difference between paying taxes into a health care system that benefits everyone and paying premiums for an insurance policy you may potentially never end up making use of? Those premiums you pay to your insurance company are paying for the health care of other people.

What exactly is the difference, realistically? Because it seems to me that one of the biggest qualms is people don't want to be paying for someone else's care. Guess what? You are either way.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #82
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri View Post
Financially, what's the difference between paying taxes into a health care system that benefits everyone and paying premiums for an insurance policy you may potentially never end up making use of?
None! Other than the fact you make everyone share in the burden with UHC there is no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri View Post
What exactly is the difference, realistically? Because it seems to me that one of the biggest qualms is people don't want to be paying for someone else's care. Guess what? You are either way.
QFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
No. He should be doing more than lawn jobs. If that's all he chooses to do he's not working hard. I don't want to give money or a handout to a lazy.
I don't know if I have every read anything more offensive on this forum. My Grandfather worked hard every day of his life. He was not lazy. I’m by far way more lazy than my grandfather ever was, although I most likely earn in a couple hours what it took him a month to earn. If you have not guessed my Grandfather earned his livelihood by mowing lawns. I did not say that was his occupation, because he was Presbyterian Minister. However, he was also an idealist and would not accept compensation for doing the Lord’s work.

Just because you do not approve of a person's occupation does not mean they are lazy. That is a fact and not just my opinion.

Last edited by mimartin; 09-24-2008 at 07:51 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #83
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri
Financially, what's the difference between paying taxes into a health care system that benefits everyone and paying premiums for an insurance policy you may potentially never end up making use of? Those premiums you pay to your insurance company are paying for the health care of other people.
That's a very good question, one I would be very interested to know the answer to. I've been trying to find a figure for the NHS per taxpayer, and i'll post it as soon as I have it.

As to the actual health systems, a study last year by the Commonwealth Fund reviewed healthcare in six different countries. The UK's NHS came first in both cost, and in quality of care, while the US health system ranked last.

Source

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #84
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I just hardly see any detriment in adding a tax model on an already existent program, therefore forcing it to comply with well regulated standards allowing for proper budgeting of it's expenses. As well provided a universal program for which insurance must comply with, there it extends either a government established insurance program or you get private insurance with better coverage and reasonable rates. The company still makes profit, however they aren't sitting on fat collections with no output into the actual people it's meant for.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #85
Lance Monance
Rookie

So if you admit that some people will end up without the means to get healthcare despite their hard effort, Sd Nihil, how exactly do you justify denying it them?
Lance Monance is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #86
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Another question would be: Which is cheaper to provide emergency care or preventive care?
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #87
SD Nihil

Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
Because I believe government has ultimate control over the UHC system. If it can regulate pay, advancement, and what is considered standard of care then that's the government making those decisions.

SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #88
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
And, again, speaking as a resident of a nation with a functioning UHC system, the government does not control the standard of care.

A government department oversees the operation of hospitals. A government minister is held to account by Parliament and the people for the operation of the Health Service. The government minister reports to the Prime Minister, who reports to Parliament and the people.

The government works out how much of the budget should go to the NHS. The NHS trusts decide how it should be implemented. Your doctor decides what level of care you need.

Last edited by SW01; 09-24-2008 at 07:47 PM.
SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #89
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Massive thread clear - basically one individual's posts I felt were of poor quality, frequently obnoxious; and were causing many of the problems in thread, so thought it best to be pruned. I apologise to all those of you whom spent time replying to said individual - but thread wouldn't of made much sense if I left your posts in. - GB j7

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #90
Astor
It's Thornhill!

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The simple fact is that a UHC is not government controlled. Funded, yes, controlled, no.

A UHC removes a Doctor's concerns about their paychecks, allowing them to focus solely on the needs of the patient, not how much they can pay. UHCs also do not stall or prevent advancement in the system - if anything it creates a more level playing field because everyone is, in effect working for the same employer.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2008, 03:02 AM   #91
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
The simple fact is that a UHC is not government controlled. Funded, yes, controlled, no.

A UHC removes a Doctor's concerns about their paychecks, allowing them to focus solely on the needs of the patient, not how much they can pay. UHCs also do not stall or prevent advancement in the system - if anything it creates a more level playing field because everyone is, in effect working for the same employer.
I find some irony in the fact that we lack a UHC, my aunt, who makes a dang lot of money for a doctor(she made more than the president until he raised his income), makes it in the California prison system. Which pretty much has a Universal care program paid through taxes(though, ironically, not through the taxes of the people it serves).

It pays well, has good job security, and judging from the fact that many minor criminals become institutionalized due to better care in prisons than in non-prison life, I would say their quality of care is pretty good.

So, assuming we have a healthcare program at least as good as our massivly bloated prison system, I think we'd have a good deal. We already pay for some 300,000 prisoners who aren't paying for us, seems only right we pay for people who aren't criminals as well.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #92
SD Nihil

Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
I took this week to research UHC and CHC. I've come to the conclusion that both systems have pros and cons to them. I believe national pride makes a difference or can in your decision of which system you prefer. I believe it also depends on what you people feel is best for your own countries.

As an American living in the U.S. I'm content with our CHC. As a person with Goldenhar's syndrome I'm well pleased with the care I've received through our Private health care system.

Below is the link. What it will take you to are a list of articles. Depending on who's writing each person will present what they think are the pros and cons of each system. This is just one link. I believe this shows how much info on both systems is out on the internet. I say make your own decisions. I believe both sides of the coin those that prefer UHC and CHC have the right to give sources, stick with their opinions no matter what, and believe the way they want without fear of retribution.

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ulltext=Search

I also would like to apologize to Jonathan and the other mods. Your right I was wrong in my conduct. With Goldenhar's my sight issues make it difficult to research and read heavily. The source I was given (e-mailed) by my father. Again I apologize. There's so few of the differing opinion on here I think it's my duty to pick up the slack.

Anyway, in the end I believe anyone can speak eloquently enough to discredit, spin, and think the way they want even about facts. So I will not try to convince you. I know what I believe about UHC and CHC. And I have every right to stick to it as you do too.

In the future I would like those to understand though you may disagree with me please do not attack me over my views on poverty and such. I hate no one here. Though you may not like me I like each and everyone of you. I felt I needed to say this. So please let's not make a big deal of it though it doesn't totally fit with the topic.

SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #93
Yar-El
Banned

Current Game: The Witcher
I know this is bringing up an old topic; however, there is a sense of irony in this update. There is time to talk, and there is a time for action. Obama is procrastinating with the health care subject. He talked big during the election, and now he can't seem to deliver.

Article -
Obama asks nation for health-care reform input

Quote:
'We want your exact ideas'
With the transition team contemplating how to deliver on his campaign promise to expand health coverage and lower costs, "what we want to do now is to move to a discussion across the country," Daschle said in a speech yesterday in Denver. "We want your exact ideas."

In addition to the house parties, Obama's transition Web site, Change.gov, is collecting thousands of comments on health-care reform.

By seeking broad public input early in the process, the incoming administration hopes to avoid some of the mistakes of President Clinton's failed initiative 15 years ago, said Daschle, who is also Obama's choice for secretary of health and human services.

"Details kill," he said, recounting that opponents picked apart Clinton's thousand-page bill. "Once we get started, we have to stay focused. Let's finish it, let's not put it down."
Obama is saying, "I don't know how to fix the healthcare issue. We made alot of big promises; however, we don't know how to deliver on them."
Yar-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #94
Litofsky
Galaxial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El View Post
I know this is bringing up an old topic; however, there is a sense of irony in this update. There is time to talk, and there is a time for action. Obama is procrastinating with the health care subject. He talked big during the election, and now he can't seem to deliver.
So, he's not even in office yet, and he "can't deliver?" I prefer to look it as Obama's acting before he can even change things yet, and not waiting until the first day to get started. Kudos to him for taking the initiative before even taking office.

Quote:
Obama is saying, "I don't know how to fix the healthcare issue. We made alot of big promises; however, we don't know how to deliver on them."
In your opinion, that is. In my opinion, he's saying, "Before I officially take office, I'd like the populace's opinion on what your healthcare system should be."
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #95
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:

Article -
Obama asks nation for health-care reform input

Keep your pants on until he gets into office, kay? He's not going to do anything about it as President-elect, so how is asking for information/opinions not a good idea? He's doing something, which is more than nothing, which means he's on the road to delivery.

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #96
Yar-El
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litofsky View Post
So, he's not even in office yet, and he "can't deliver?" I prefer to look it as Obama's acting before he can even change things yet, and not waiting until the first day to get started. Kudos to him for taking the initiative before even taking office.
Don't you find that to be a problem? He made a big promise that helped get him elected; however, his plan to reform healthcare seems to have hit a wall.

Quote:
He is acting, and he is failing. What else does he need to do?

Quote:
In your opinion, that is. In my opinion, he's saying, "Before I officially take office, I'd like the populace's opinion on what your healthcare system should be."
Obama was the guy with a plan, right? Why does he need our input if he was voted into office based upon people believing in his plan? I thought he had all the answers for creating a Universal Healthcare system?
Old 12-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #97
EnderWiggin

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Don't you find that to be a problem? He made a big promise that helped get him elected; however, his plan to reform healthcare seems to have hit a wall.

His starting early is a problem? What?

And he's not failing yet, he can't do anything anyway as President-elect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar
Obama was the guy with a plan, right? Why does he need our imput if he was voted into office based upon people believing in his plan?
Input. And more information is never a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your article
"In order for us to reform our health care system, we must first begin reforming how government communicates with the American people," Obama said in a statement yesterday.
Quote:
Tactic aims to circumvent special interests that quashed previous efforts.
Quote:
By seeking broad public input early in the process, the incoming administration hopes to avoid some of the mistakes of President Clinton's failed initiative 15 years ago, said Daschle
_EW_

Yes, I hate you.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #98
Litofsky
Galaxial

Quote:
Yes, that "wall," as you put it is him not being in office yet! The way I see it, he's moving to take action before he's even the President. And for what? You're bashing him because of an ostensible 'lack of ideas?' How do you know this for sure, Yar? Do tell.

Quote:
I'll repeat myself: Barack Obama is not yet President. Abiding by the law, he cannot act! How is he failing, Yar?

Quote:
Obama was the guy with a plan, right? Why does he need our input if he was voted into office based upon people believing in his plan? I thought he had all the answers for creating a Universal Healthcare system?
First off, this was only one of his promises that Obama proposed. Second, he promised to establish a Universal Healthcare System, and, so far as I know, never gave any specifics. What he's doing now is asking for opinions on how it should be implemented.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #99
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yes, I agree that we should wait until he's in office and ultimately fails to deliver on all of the wondrous miracles that he's promised to perform before we criticize him.

Yar-El is wise enough to make an early reservation in the "I told you so" section of the peanut gallery, however.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #100
Yar-El
Banned

Quote:
Yes, that "wall," as you put it is him not being in office yet! The way I see it, he's moving to take action before he's even the President. And for what? You're bashing him because of an ostensible 'lack of ideas?' How do you know this for sure, Yar? Do tell.

I'll repeat myself: Barack Obama is not yet President. Abiding by the law, he cannot act! How is he failing, Yar?
Leaders are not held back by walls. I thought he was a leader. People must be wrong.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #101
EnderWiggin

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Leaders are not held back by walls. I thought he was a leader. People must be wrong.
Are you serious? Do you even read what we write? He's not the president and he can't do anything more than what he's doing.

_EW_

Yes, I hate you.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #102
Litofsky
Galaxial

Quote:
Yar, I am thoroughly confused. You say that he should not be held back by walls, and yet, what about the law? It prevents him from taking any Presidential actions until he is inaugurated.

Why are you jumping on every sentence to attack him? Are you attempting to convince us that Obama is failing? Trust me, many of us have our opinions on Obama already, and attempting to throw useless insults at him doesn't do anyone here justice.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #103
Yar-El
Banned

Quote:
Yar, I am thoroughly confused. You say that he should not be held back by walls, and yet, what about the law? It prevents him from taking any Presidential actions until he is inaugurated.

Why are you jumping on every sentence to attack him? Are you attempting to convince us that Obama is failing? Trust me, many of us have our opinions on Obama already, and attempting to throw useless insults at him doesn't do anyone here justice.
Leaders can create change before they are in power. You don't need to be president to make such changes. Its an excuse.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #104
Litofsky
Galaxial

Quote:
Leaders can create change before they are in power. You don't need to be president to make such changes. Its an excuse.
We are referring to actually creating a Universal Healthcare System, are we not? Continuing with that, it is impossible for Obama to sign into existence such a System, as he is not yet President! The current Senate does not have the power to push it through themselves if Bush vetoes (the) bill, and, therefore, only once Obama has been inaugurated can the change be enacted.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #105
Q
The one who knocks

Yar, I'll have to agree with the HiveMind in that you're being a bit premature here. Just wait until he's in office. You'll have plenty of ammunition to spew forth with ruthless abandon then; trust me.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 12-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #106
Yar-El
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
Yar, I have to agree with the HiveMind that you're being a bit premature here. Just wait until he's in office. You'll have plenty of ammunition to spew forth with ruthless abandon then, trust me.
Oky, I will be patient.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #107
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
HiveMind
Please define what you mean by this?

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #108
jrrtoken

jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #109
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur
HiveMind
Please define what you mean by this?
Put simply, it is my honest interpretation of the behaviors exhibited by the vast majority of the posters here. It was not meant to offend.

-Toker
Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #110
Palpatine_dc
Rookie

I have a question for those who are against UHC: Do you have a private health insurance?
Palpatine_dc is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Universal Healthcare?