lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Best video game console generation?
1st gen - Magnavox Odyssey, Atari Pong 0 0%
2nd gen - Atari 2600, ColecoVision, Intellivision, Vectrex 1 0.83%
3rd gen - NES, Sega Master System, Atari 7800 11 9.17%
4th gen - SNES, Genesis, Neo Geo, TurboGrafX-16 13 10.83%
5th gen - N64, Playstation, Saturn, 3DO 24 20.00%
6th gen - Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast 23 19.17%
7th (current) gen - Wii, PS3, 360 48 40.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Best video game console generation?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #41
Samuel Dravis

Because only the tk was alive in those horrible days before you could have a supercomputer for a desktop.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #42
Litofsky
Galaxial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
And I posed those questions to generate discussion, since most of the people voting for the 7th generation are only citing graphics as their reason. Way to not answer them.
A bit late, but...

Truthfully, I'm not a real console gamer. Again, having only experienced the 5th Generation and onward, I voted for the latest one. Even there, I've only played a few games, but I enjoy those more than the ones from the 6th. Sure, the graphics are great, but the games I've played have a pretty decent story. It's all about your opinion.

Of course, the PC has a special place with me. I started using it when I was a few years old, and I haven't put it down since.
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 05:15 AM   #43
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
If sheer graphical quality is not enough justification (which, actually I agree with - too many good-looking games with no story), then I justify 7th as, first the generation with the greatest potential.

Of the games that I have played so far on PS3, I have been impressed by the graphics, certainly, but also the better storylines that are cropping up. Assassin's Creed - the first next-gen that I played - for all of it's flaws had brilliant graphics coupled with an engaging, evolving storyline.

GTA IV was, in my opinion, infinitely superior to its PS2 cousins, both graphically and in terms of story.

This was one of the failings for many - not all - games later in the 6th gen. I think it became more of a war for the best graphics that could be squeezed out of the console.

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #44
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman

Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! 
3rd or 4th gen. 16 bit systems One of the last times that game designers were limited by the hardware, and forced them to rely on gameplay over eye candy.

Re-playability was the key. heck, i was playing games on a TRS-80 back in the day and I was enjoying ASCII graphics based games written in BASIC because of simple decent randomness

BOW DOWN BEFORE the Official Forum Pun-isher
Official XWA flight instructor
get busy with it!
K_Kinnison is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #45
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
This was one of the failings for many - not all - games later in the 6th gen. I think it became more of a war for the best graphics that could be squeezed out of the console.
Initially, yes. But the industry naturally matured after a time. That problem exists till today on the current gen, though.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #46
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman

Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! 
I think the biggest tell is promotional trailers for videos games show more cinematics then gameplay. Which also makes more people buy the game for the graphics then playability. FFS i could buy an anime movie if all I wanted was to watch Eyeball popping computer graphics

BOW DOWN BEFORE the Official Forum Pun-isher
Official XWA flight instructor
get busy with it!
K_Kinnison is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #47
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Hmmmm, this is difficult. I have nothing but fond memories of my SNES though so I suppose I should choose that.

Those of you choosing based on "best graphics", are doing it wrong.*

So. So wrong.

Like worse than, "Epic Fail", wrong.

Like, I'm borderline physically disgusted by you.

Go to your room.

* = unless you limit the graphics pool to the consoles' set generation.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #48
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
well, for me, it all comes down more to the games than the consoles. the most revolutionary games all seem to start with the sixth generation of consoles. the fifth generation was more about expanding the idea of a 3D environment, and thus the gamepay was never really that great with a few exceptions. if you think about it, a lot of games that we call "derivative" are all based around solid ideas and gameplay foundations that were introduced mostly in the 6th generation of consoles.

it was a fairly revolutionary time for the gaming industry, and outside of the Wii, it really seems to be nothing more than evolution ever since. still, the best games of today all had their roots somewhere, and you can trace most of them back to that 6th generation of consoles.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #49
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
well, for me, it all comes down more to the games than the consoles. the most revolutionary games all seem to start with the sixth generation of consoles. the fifth generation was more about expanding the idea of a 3D environment, and thus the gamepay was never really that great with a few exceptions. if you think about it, a lot of games that we call "derivative" are all based around solid ideas and gameplay foundations that were introduced mostly in the 6th generation of consoles.

it was a fairly revolutionary time for the gaming industry, and outside of the Wii, it really seems to be nothing more than evolution ever since. still, the best games of today all had their roots somewhere, and you can trace most of them back to that 6th generation of consoles.
I agree wholly with this statement.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #50
zelda 41
Loop Zoop

Current Game: FFX HD/Persona 3 Portable
Voted for 5th.
It was around the era I was able to play video games, basicly leading me into it's mindless-self indulgence. The N64 had some fantastic games (Super Mario 64, Zelda, Donkey Kong 64, etc), and I didn't really play the original playstation (except some Tomb Raider game).

Also, who didn't love 'Hey You, Pikachu'?

zelda 41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #51
assassing3
Rookie

to play console games online you need a pc so whoever said xbox live and ps3 becuase of there online

now i vote for the 5th gen it was my favorite kicking back playing the
N64:legend of zelda ocarina of time, WWE no mercy the best wrestling game of its time , star wars rogue squadron (got me loving starwars)

Playstation : the best final fantasy games ever FF7 and FF8 , Breath of fire
i still play those RPGs(it brong the first successful use of Disc in gaming)which brings us to these great games with graphics
the cinamatic scenes that make you play games more (this was the first time we saw them)

the replay value on the above consoles was astouding there are days when i dont even use my 360 i play my 64

now dont get me wrong i love my 360 to death and the games coming out for it are beautiful
wii is for kid/familys (i dont play video games for my family to play with me i play them so they will leave me alone)
and this new way of gaming sucks i dont want to move and play
i want to set in my chair eat Sunchips and drink my Can of Sprite
and assassinate people (assassins creed) or blow you to pieces (GTA IV)
assassing3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2008, 03:25 AM   #52
aarathy
Lurker

In my opinion,best video game console generation is the current that is 7th generation. The consoles in this generation has several features like good graphics, good games, good gameplay, light, very energy efficient, Durable,fast loading times, reliable etc.

aarathy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #53
Chevron 7 locke
Peace and Sanity

Current Game: The Old Republic
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
I gotta go with the 6th generation as i have never played the 7th generation
Chevron 7 locke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #54
Revan 411
Forumite

The 5th gen was awesome! The days back when there was still a N64, and a PS1, and everything. The games were also a lot more fun that time too. It was, and still today, pretty much the best video game gen ever.

The one we have today however sucks. Company's focus too much on Online play, and too much on graphics, that they don't care about the story or plot at all. A example would be, Halo III, Call Of Duty 4, Grand Theft Auto 4, and a few others.

The originals will always live on...

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2008, 12:16 AM   #55
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarathy View Post
In my opinion,best video game console generation is the current that is 7th generation. The consoles in this generation has several features like good graphics, good games, good gameplay, light, very energy efficient, Durable,fast loading times, reliable etc.

Allow me to point out how you're completely wrong on every aspect you listed. If you don't feel like reading, just jump to the last sentence.

Each and every generation had "good graphics".

Each and every generation had good games. Some even had great games.

Each and every generation had good gameplay.

Aside from the Xbox, All previous generations were much lighter than the current generation.

The power requirements for the last few generations have been ridiculously high compared to older ones.

RROD. Fans also go out on the Wiis and the PS3 controllers tend to drop signals occasionally. Oh yes, and RROD.

Average load times in general have done nothing but go up.

Again, RROD.

In short, you just God Failed and I am sad because of it.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #56
Great Scott!

Although you make good points, you're not entirely correct.

Not all generations were lighter, it really depended on the console. The NES was definitely heavier than the Wii or the Gamecube, and the 360's lighter than the original Xbox.

I play Wii all the time and have never "dropped signals."

Also, load times for the most part are way better than they used to be (not counting cartridge games of course). I'm sure you have fond memories of playing the Playstation or the Dreamcast, but what you don't remember is the long ass waiting periods because of how awesome they seemed at the time.

Otherwise, you are spot on.

Hill Valley

"A nice place to live."
Great Scott! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #57
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
How much faster load time can you get then plugging in an Atari cartridge and it works immediately?

But hey--the opportunity to have a lightsaber duel with my kids with Force Unleashed on Wii is major win.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #58
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

You're right about the NES, Great Scott. I've been really frazzled all week; can't believe I missed that.

I meant the PS3 controllers actually. The Wii controls have been pretty good to me.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #59
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Watch_Dogs
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Haven't enjoyed any console to the same extent as Atari 2600 in its heyday and my youth.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2008, 07:20 AM   #60
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda 41 View Post
Also, who didn't love 'Hey You, Pikachu'?
Uh...me....

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #61
Great Scott!

Hey, I got Hey You, Pikachu! for my tenth birthday. I played it for hours upon hours.

Hill Valley

"A nice place to live."
Great Scott! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #62
Justus

I experienced the 2nd generation onward, however I would have to say that the current generation is the best. Although I do get rather nostalgic for the old days every once in awhile, but still the current gaming scene is quite impressive. I have to say it was difficult, because I have a lot of really great memories especially with the 3rd, 4th, and 5th generations.

I've had a great time in each console generation though.

Justus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #63
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I voted for the 7th generation.... for a VERY good reason.

The 7th generation allows you to play games from previous generations... a lot more so than previous generations.

With my Wii, I've been playing some damn fine games from the 3rd generation onwards, as well as enjoying the 7th generation games.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > LucasForums Poll > Best video game console generation?