View Poll Results: What do you think of The Old Republic's premise?
Awesomesauce! I love it! 15 34.09%
Meh, it's like all other Star Wars plots 9 20.45%
It sucks, BioWare could have done better 10 22.73%
Yoda 10 22.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Plotline/Premise
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Plotline/Premise

What do you people think of the whole plotline/premise thing for this game? It's put up here, with detailed info on some planets, factions etc. Here's the basic premise:

Quote:
The Galactic Republic stood for generations as a bastion of peace in a galaxy of warring star systems. Protected by its stalwart Jedi guardians, the Republic held the greatest hope for the progress of civilization and galactic unity.

Deep in unknown space, however, a mighty Sith Empire was forged, led by dark Sith Lords who dreamt of galactic domination and vengeance against their ancient Jedi enemies. After centuries of preparation, the time came for the Sith to make their return.

With a massive fleet and an awe-inspiring army of fearless troops, the Sith Emperor launched a surprise assault, quickly capturing dozens of worlds in the Outer Rim, and sparking a war unlike any other in the galaxy’s history.

From the frozen wastes of Ilum to the desert plains of Dathomir, violent battles killed untold millions. Despite its avowed neutrality, surface structures on the water-covered world of Manaan were completely destroyed, forcing the Selkath to retreat to their ocean underworld. Other star systems fared worse—some destroyed, others left uninhabitable. The carnage concluded with the Sith Empire sacking the Republic's capital planet of Coruscant and forcing the Republic Senate into the controversial Treaty of Coruscant.

In the years since the treaty, fear and uncertainty have gripped the galaxy, enabling the Sith Emperor to pursue his own mysterious purposes while the Republic has made efforts to rebuild its infrastructure and adjust military priorities to the new galactic landscape.

Now, tensions between the Republic and the Empire are running high, and a series of border skirmishes and proxy wars have broken out, even on planets as historically peaceful as Alderaan. The uneasy truce established by the Treaty of Coruscant is quickly tearing apart at the seams, and a return to all-out war has begun in all but official terms.

A new generation of heroes, both light and dark, emerges to face the difficulties of these chaotic times, and fight for the fate of the galaxy in this most desperate age.

I think it's great. It reminds me of both A New Hope and KotOR. The situation in ANH was also similar: a galaxy-spanning Empire and an underdog lightside enemy. I think it's the aesthetics that remind me of KotOR more than anything.

For some reason, the game feels extremely fresh, as if it's the first thing Star Wars that has come out after the movies. It's got me excited!

I have full faith that BioWare will craft out an awesome story and this premise is indicative of that.

And just because I like polls, I'm going to put up a poll now.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > Plotline/Premise