View Poll Results: Will You Buy Star Wars: The Old Republic when Released?
Yes! 45 47.87%
No! 20 21.28%
I'm Not Sure Yet. 29 30.85%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Will You Buy the Game? Yes Or No
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #41
Christos K
Forumite

I will probably try it but there is no way my Desktop or Laptop will be able to handle (Considering it will be atleast some what as good as games today) SO I am hoping for an X360 release too so that X360 users can play with PC/Mac users. There is a chance it wont be PPM (Pay per month) I mean as far as I am concerned and as it is the truth this game might be competing with Guild Wars 2.

"It's the one that says Bad Mother ****er." - Jules Winnfield... Describing his wallet, Pulp Fiction.
Christos K is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #42
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos K View Post
I will probably try it but there is no way my Desktop or Laptop will be able to handle (Considering it will be atleast some what as good as games today)
This is a major concern for me too, but apparently there was some mention in yesterday's presentation of it being able to perform on a vareity of system specs. What precisely that range is remains to be seen, but I live in hope that it will run alright on TSL-type minimum graphics specs (i.e. what I have at the moment!)

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #43
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
The wait to see the future of the KOTOR gaming franchise. You now have your answer.
*snip*

Too bad the screenshots don't make it look advanced at all.

That is pretty much going to be the make or break for me I think. How much can I avoid interacting with people I don't want to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
QFE

I don't want to have to rely on teaming up with others to advance my character and experience the content. I want to be able to play on my own terms for the most part and may not be able to work out a time to go raiding with people I want to actually raid with.
Well, I already sort of though about this...
GW had this problem. Everyone had the same heroes, so it was awkward to see one's twin brother.
What if TOR does this differently?
-You get a soldier companion. Looks, like gender, face and armour are randomised and so is his/her name.
-You get a Droid companion. Simple: different colour, different series number

You will then eliminate the stupid twin brother thing Guild Wars had. Also, since they are randomised, they belong to you, story feel is enhanced.

About the screens:
The 1-up live blog asked if this was pre-alpha footage. It was.
http://www.heroengine.com/charsys.asp

See? It's a VERY cartoony engine. Bioware will need time to tweak this to their needs. Like the oversized lightsabers. I remember how Guild Wars and WoW (to some extend) looked in their alpha's and beta's. Better take a look at the concept art or website art. It's where Bioware is going, not where they start.

Anyways, I like the style. Big shouldered Jedi...kinda cartoony. Quality isn't that good yet though

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #44
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I will be playin this hell yeah, not certain it's how I wanted it... but I must
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #45
Web Rider

If it is affordable, and looks interesting, yes. But right now I'm betting on: no.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #46
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

It really depends on how and how much I'll be paying and whether or not I think the story/gameplay look good. Right now, I can't make a judgment on either of those things.

Yea, I'm disappointed that this isn't a single-player KotOR III, but that doesn't meant I can't have fun with it.
Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #47
Burnseyy
Forumite

Yes! Because it's still based in the old republic and it's a Star Wars game...

I'm not going to get all beaten up and annoyed about 'no continuation from KOTOR' - I like the idea.

"If God is a DJ, then life is a dance floor, love is the rhythm and you are the music."

Burnseyy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #48
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
YES of course. I loved the KoTOR prequels, and formats for games change, and improve over time, MMO's are an improvment and offer vastly larger horizons than a SP game can, and we can be very very grateful to both LucasArts and BioWar they both listened to us and all the fans who asked for years for more of the SW and also the Knights of the Old Republic themes.

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #49
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Maybe. Probably not.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #50
golddon
Lurker

Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicatorJade View Post
When the game is released(either by internet, pc or video game) do you think you will buy Star Wars: The Old Republic?
Heck Yes. after starwars galaxies downfall, must be improvement elsewhere.
golddon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #51
John Galt

hells. yes.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #52
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
I'll hold out until I see that it's a game I want to play.

@Everyone who will get it at release: If they have no free demo but they do have a buddy trial can I have yours?

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #53
RyuuKage

only if:

Graphics get a SERIOUS overhaul, especially lightsaber hilts (wtf?)
Either no monthlies or relatively cheap monthlies. Or a single lifetime payment as an option would be fine too.
RyuuKage is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 11:13 PM   #54
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
I would buy a KOTOR MMO if it were created, but since TOR is not what this fan wanted, I'm not buying it.

If people don't like what lucasarts just introduced, I encourage you to not buy their future product. That way, you won't set yourself up for another disappointment by them and they'll realize products like TOR won't appeal to KOTOR fans.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #55
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
It's not K3 SP RPG, no, but who cares? It looks like a fun game all on its own merits, and I'm not going to let my disappointment at not getting the K3 I really wanted stop me from playing what looks like will be an entertaining game. I'll be there on day 1, and if I can somehow finagle my way into a beta, I'll be there even sooner.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 04:31 AM   #56
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

Dunno yet, but if (and which is very likely) it has monthly payments, then HELL NO! I think im going to be sick... *pukes* Somebody is in grave danger of losing his/her head right now...

Saivo´s New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 AM   #57
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
All the people freaking out about montly fees, wtf? You expect the server maintenance to be free? When I was playing WoW, paying a montly fee SAVED me money. I used to buy three or four games a month at least to cure my boredom, but paying for and playing only one game stopped me from doing that. I'd say it saved me at least £100 a month. Seriously, monthly fees aren't the devil you are making them out to be, and to expect to play an mmo without there being one is just ridiculous.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 06:05 AM   #58
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller View Post
I am definitely going to buy it. I currently play World of Warcraft so no way I can play both, I plan to try this for a month or two and if I like it enough, quit WoW.
That's probably what I'll do too. I'm afraid to have high hopes on TOR though, since I've seen so many MMO's fail. I've also never liked the Old Republic era that much.

And yeah, I don't get all the fuss about monthly fee's, since It's a norm for MMO's. :/

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #59
Katarn84
Rookie

I'll NEVER buy an MMO. I didn't buy Galaxies, I won't buy this other ruin of the Star Wars franchise. I want to know how the plot of kotor ends, not going pvp without a reason for the whole galaxy. And I hope many will get by my side.

Stay Away from the darker side, and if you start to go astray, let the Force be your guide.

http://ironthrone.games.cz/images/Kyle.jpg
Changed pic to link. Please find a sig pic that is in line with our sig rules, 500X120 and 80kb max, Forum Rules. ~ SWK Staff
Katarn84 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 07:11 AM   #60
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Well don't worry Katarn84, I'm sure you won't be alone in not buying the game.

Me: I'm buying it. I'll get a month free with the purchase of the game(this is standard). That's the average time I spend with most new games I get. If the MMO is worth it, I'll continue the monthly subs. Unless of course they have a lifetime membership option.... I might try that out haha.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #61
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Me: I'm buying it. I'll get a month free with the purchase of the game(this is standard) ... If the MMO is worth it, I'll continue the monthly subs. Unless of course they have a lifetime membership option
I'll probably end up doing the same. I have to say, though - this idea is growing on me - it sounds more and more interesting the more I read of it! In the end, though, for me it will all come down to required specs...

Old 10-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #62
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Yes, why not?

That's assuming my computer is fixed, I have a laptop, or my family buys a new one.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #63
Paddythegreat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz1928 View Post
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starw...ot;watchlink;1

They say that the MMO broke alot of boundries that they wouldn't have been able to do with KOTOR 3. They said that it was like making KOTOR3-12. Im excited. I've been waiting for a New MMO, since me quiting Star Wars Galaxies.
I agree completly, tried a few mmos after i quit cu swg and found them all boring, to be honest having the support chars in this mmo will be the most intersting thing for me to see, as in how they react to other players.
Paddythegreat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #64
jamestl2
Rookie

Most likely no, but only if:
  • It's released on the Consoles (I've always played the console KOTOR versions, plus can't stand computer game controls)
  • No Monthly Fees (Can't afford more fees along with Xbox Live's)
  • At least TWO Companion Characters follow you (Just One makes me feel that my team is incomplete)
jamestl2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #65
TSi21
Rookie

Current Game: MLB 2k7
I'm leaning towards no on this one.

Things I Like:
HeroEngine
Bioware

Things I Don't Like
LucasArts and their disregard for the fans
How many times can we make this story before people actually notice?
Oooh, let's draw in KoTOR fans by making decendants of the original characters!
Instead of creating a new, full-flavored antagonist, let's bring back an old, paper-thin cliche!

Forget what I said earlier, I'm not leaning towards no, I'm already in the no camp.
TSi21 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #66
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestl2 View Post
Most likely no, but only if:
Quote:
It's released on the Consoles (I've always played the console KOTOR versions, plus can't stand computer game controls)
There's "talk" apparently about it, but the computer controls are gonna be radically different given it's an MMO, and you gotta learn like 5000 hot keys or be a pro with a mouse to be effective. In my experience at least. I don't know how they get that to work effectively on a console for other games.
Quote:
No Monthly Fees (Can't afford more fees along with Xbox Live's)
You may as well stop thinking about the game right now then. If you bought long-term Live, then you'd only have to worry about the MMO for a long time.

Quote:
At least TWO Companion Characters follow you (Just One makes me feel that my team is incomplete)
Don't know, but I think it's only one. Not sure though. If you want more characters to follow you, group up with other people and make them your slaves.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 01:46 AM   #67
jamestl2
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man_2423 View Post
There's "talk" apparently about it, but the computer controls are gonna be radically different given it's an MMO, and you gotta learn like 5000 hot keys or be a pro with a mouse to be effective. In my experience at least. I don't know how they get that to work effectively on a console for other games.
I wonder how that would work on a console. The B button or something (Perhaps the Start menu) would probably bring up an entire command menu and those have sub-menus, and so forth. It's the only way I can see playing a console version without an input keyboard (or we'll just use the headset).

Quote:
You may as well stop thinking about the game right now then. If you bought long-term Live, then you'd only have to worry about the MMO for a long time.
I'm not sure if there are any Xbox Live games that *also* require a monthly fee. One of the instances I was hoping for is that if it does come to the consoles, it wouldn't cost anything extra to go online.

Like Halo 3, there's thousands of people that play online at any given moment, and they definitely have a way of covering their costs somehow, without charging extra. Not sure about all the differences between basic Online games and MMO's that goes behind the scenes, how much extra resources are needed, used, etc.

Although I know I wouldn't mind paying extra for additional downloads, items, etc. Xbox Live has their Microsoft Points system, so I know things could definitely happen through that.

The thing I don't like about "monthly fees" is that I don't really feel like I'm "getting anything" tangible in the long run, and money's wasted on it.

Quote:
Don't know, but I think it's only one. Not sure though. If you want more characters to follow you, group up with other people and make them your slaves.
If it is that way now, I hope they change it to two, like KOTOR. I thought it might be the standard.

I even wouldn't mind having less options to choose from for potential party members. Having just one along doesn't even feel like it's worth including the feature, to me.
jamestl2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #68
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Putting my head back between my shoulders, the thought that no matter how hard you try, you can't crush the Republic or the Empire, or reduce the Jedi/Sith Orders to ashes is... *sigh*.
Just when i was beggining to convince myself,that this might be a good game,have a good history etc... this brought me crashing down,face first,back to earth
mstr kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #69
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leXX View Post
All the people freaking out about montly fees, wtf? You expect the server maintenance to be free? When I was playing WoW, paying a montly fee SAVED me money. I used to buy three or four games a month at least to cure my boredom, but paying for and playing only one game stopped me from doing that. I'd say it saved me at least £100 a month. Seriously, monthly fees aren't the devil you are making them out to be, and to expect to play an mmo without there being one is just ridiculous.
Well yeah? You know, not all buy games all the time. Its just too much to pay 15 E/month if i mostly play NWN and kotors... Way too much.

Saivo´s New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2008, 07:10 AM   #70
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Damn straight I will

Hopefully if all goes well, I'll be logging on Day 1. I'll have to be sure to schedule a vacation during the first week release

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2008, 07:54 AM   #71
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
I'm not sure I will. It depends on the information that gets released in the next months for a better judgment. I'll probably be waiting for the reviews, too. Haven't played a real MMO before (with monthly fees), and I don't want to make the mistake of getting a failed MMO as my first. But at this moment, I'm guessing I will buy it.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2008, 09:56 AM   #72
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
Hopefully if all goes well, I'll be logging on Day 1.
*Jealousy*

I'm sure we'll get the release over here a good week after you lot...probably have no chance of victory against all those high level week-veterans!

Anyway - I'm starting to look forward to this, distant though the release may be. As ChAiNz.2da, I'll probably buy on release as well!

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > Will You Buy the Game? Yes Or No