Thread: Swoop racing
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
Darth_vilas
Rookie

Swoop racing

Who wants to see the swoop racing back in TOR? And how?

I would like to see it back with personal swoops. Also no jumping like in KOTOR2.
Also longer tracks, and racing directly against your oppenents.
Darth_vilas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
I'd definitely like Swoops as mounts, and maybe a quest which involves racing one.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
I was thinking this too - if it was implemented in the same way as it was in KotOR, I could see it being popular, especially head-to-head or tournaments against other players. If it were implemented as head to head, a unique swoop would seem to be necessary.

While I have no skill at swoop racing whatsoever, it would be good for a laugh. And yes, it should be the KotOR version - not TSL.

I'd like to see Pazaak as well. While they are (obviously) not related to a major quest, they are undeniably part of the KotOR universe worth implementing.

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_vilas View Post
racing directly against your oppenents.
You've touched the core of it. I can't see it being any fun if it keeps being recorded times vs. recorded times. If they do make it this way, I can see players making a life out of racing.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
I'd like to see swoop racing look and feel very similar to pod racing: many players on one track at once, dodging obstacles, cutting sharp turns, pulling off aerial stunts, and possibly even outfitted with lasers to shoot one another (one-upping pod racing in that respect). Various power-ups along the track would cause various effects on your swoop or weapons. Finding hidden routes to traverse as shortcuts would also be a nice touch.

So basically a racing game with weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram View Post
So basically a racing game with weapons.
Like this?

Show spoiler

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2008, 01:34 AM   #7
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
No guns. With obstacles, it would be better to just push your opponents into a big block of pain. Weapons would make it too cheesy. Actually Swoop racing could be seen as a precursor to Podracing. So I could see it being switched from the straight "drag strip" track to a longer circuit track with say 3 laps. I could easily see qualifying and racing in those to be quite fun.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2008, 02:27 AM   #8
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Aye, swoops would be awesome as personal mounts, but I think they would be a little impractical seeing as how inhumanly fast they are. It could be interesting, if they work that out. As far as transportation goes, we only have local animals, speeders, starfighters and swoops in Star Wars, so the chances are good.

I'd personally love to see some sort of a swoop racing championship in the game, complete with charts and stuff. With the MMO thing, we may even have off-track fighting, backstabbing, espionage, sabotage, team-ups and god knows what other possibilities.

Yes!

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2008, 06:03 AM   #9
Weiser_Cain
Forumite

I want then as a minigame, sort of less than totally lethal pvp.
Weiser_Cain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Swoop racing as seen in the first KotOR with races against other opponents would make for an interesting competition.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
+1, proper Swoop Racing would sweet

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #12
GwannaSauna
Rookie

But then it would be "Star Wars - The Old Republic who gambled credits on Swoop Races" . I'd rather have something else non-addicting to where only that certain thiing would be overused

You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!
GwannaSauna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I dont quite understand your post Gwanna, But I'd rather spend my non story driven down-time gambling on Swoop races or playin pazaak, then doing something non Star Warsy like house decorating or crafting rug's and furniture. I'm looking to Bioware to establish what a Star Wars MMO is supposed to involve

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
Weiser_Cain
Forumite

Or killing sewer rats.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
knight 12167
Rookie

This is a very good idea.

I think each planet should have it's own set of rules for racing.If you go to Corucant you have to play by the book and if you go to Nal Hutta you can sabotage and use weapons!

Never was anything great achieved without danger.
knight 12167 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #16
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Why not swoop racing, pod racing, and Pazaak.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #17
Weiser_Cain
Forumite

Swoop racing not pod racing, it's already associated with kotor and having both would be redundant.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:25 AM   #18
GwannaSauna
Rookie

Smile lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
doing something non Star Warsy like house decorating
I'd win 1st place

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight 12167
and if you go to Nal Hutta you can sabotage and use weapons!
Dual E-Web blasters on swoops FTW!

You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!

Last edited by GwannaSauna; 11-09-2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: For reasons even I don't know...
GwannaSauna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2008, 01:34 AM   #19
Iron Rose
Rookie

I like the idea of racing actual players in swoop races. If implemented I would like to see some longer tracks then the ones in KOTOR.
Iron Rose is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #20
DarthJacen
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
I was thinking this too - if it was implemented in the same way as it was in KotOR, I could see it being popular, especially head-to-head or tournaments against other players. If it were implemented as head to head, a unique swoop would seem to be necessary.

While I have no skill at swoop racing whatsoever, it would be good for a laugh. And yes, it should be the KotOR version - not TSL.

I'd like to see Pazaak as well. While they are (obviously) not related to a major quest, they are undeniably part of the KotOR universe worth implementing.
Now, being an SWG alum (sort of, I still play, but not like I used to when the game was HOT), they had swoop racing in that game where there was a droid that would give you several waypoints and you had to beat a certain time in order to pass. (The Legacy Quest) And, they also had a badge for the person with the best time of the day around the Boonta Eve Race Track from Episode I, but I could never get it because someone would always place an unbeatable time. But, the downside to that kind was A) The fastest vehicle in the game is either the Barc speederbike or the Jet pack, both of which are rare items. B) You raced alone unless your guild put on an event. I had the privileged of attending such a party. and, C) The legacy quest is almost impossible with the speederbike they give you. I had to resort to my AT-RT to beat it.

Now, the racing in both KoTOR games was fun, but I could never beat it. I had to resort to using the EZ Swoop racing mods. I never knew there was a sidequest on Tatooine that required you to get first prize until I used that mod.

And, pazaak was implemented because BioWare lacked the funds at the time to pay for the rights to sabaac which is the poker game in the Expanded Universe. Now, I wish they would add both to give you a choice like Pirates of the Caribbean Online gives you a choice between Blackjack, from which pazaak is based, or Tortuga (Texas) Hold 'Em poker (Sabaac)

Search your feelings, you know it to be true
CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
The Best Damn Republic Guild
DarthJacen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > Swoop racing