lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Top Secret Aircraft
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #41
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Or they release data in such a way as to confuse the public into assuming it's just a tinfoil hat wearers theory. There are several ways to hide something secret. Keep yer mouth shut. Bury it in useless data. Tell it to a known conspiracy theorist. Leave fake signs up for some one to see so they look for something completely different. They can't look for it if they are looking for something else.
Either way, its tin-foil hat theory until its proven. Hell, Area 51 could be hiding an alien and hid it very well! But until we find out for sure, its a fantasy theory kept alive by the devout.

The Aurora may have in fact have been built, if even just once. If it was, then it is nothing to get worked up about as its probably rusting in a hanger somewhere. If it was mass produced, then we'll never find out because its very existence goes against international law, especially if we actually using it to spy in rival airspace. The Aurora might also be a scapegoat, a public image, for something else that we've been working on that is different from the Aurora entirely.

So, all in all, it probably doesn't exist and if it does then you don't want to know. There is good reason for keeping a lot of this classified.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #42
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
It is also entirely possible that Aurora was a complete fabrication in order to get people thinking we were far more advanced than we were. Keep in mind the whispers of it happened before the collapse of the Soviet Union. It may have been a way to get the USSR to overspend to compete with science fiction.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #43
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
I think that would make sense, but I still don't know how the sketches, reports of strange jet stream patterns, and other such 'evidence' remain fairly consistent. If it were just a fictional craft, then I would have imagined a very large number of different designs would be out there, or that the lack of real evidence would have killed the belief long ago.

I guess that I would assume it was always just figment of science fiction. Such a radical aircraft design could not easily be covered up without leaving a paper trail behind. Even the F-117 wasn't that radical a design compared to a transonic spy plane.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2008, 06:10 AM   #44
vanir
Forumite

In a nation which thought the radio show War of the Worlds was a live broadcast of a Mars invasion I'm not really certain the possibility of being manipulated and lied to by the government is as serious a concern as the fact a university group a few years ago found only 50% of people approached on the main streets of New York City could find the USA on a world atlas (or was it Michael Moore and Washington DC).

Propaganda takes less effort and conspiracy than one might assume. More of it is urban myth than otherwise. As for military intelligence, it works with known factors and fills in the gaps as more is known. It's a jigsaw puzzle, but does have known values in terms of physics. Never as much a mystery as a constant work in progress, like any science.

Easiest way to find out about US development projects is to follow the paper trail. Everything has to be funded by Congress. Everything Congress does is subject to public access, or something like that. Isn't that how the Constitution works?

Sure...you might start noticing black cars parked near your house...

vanir is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #45
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I seriously doubt that any aircraft could have remained secret for this long (~20 years).

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #46
CommanderQ
I should go.

Current Game: Mass Effect
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanir View Post
Sure...you might start noticing black cars parked near your house...

*looks out window*

Oy, that can't be a good sign

Well, I'd think even if you did follow the paper trail, you may not be able to discover these secrets. There are some things that congress may fund that Congress doesn't know about due to a different label placed on it.

You could have "Funding supply progam for this area" and in fact, it is actually, 'Commando Raid in Southern Asia fund." There are somethings that Congress doesn't know due to its high security rating. As Qliveur said, something like that couldn't remain secret for 20 years. It'd be discovered eventually, yes, and maybe no through paper trails...and erm....black cars

you very much
If a tree would fall in the woods.....would the other trees laugh at it?
CommanderQ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #47
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
I'm not sure how relevant to the current discussion this is, but, if we have such advanced aircraft, and we also have un-manned aircraft, is that not a wiser choice for wars?
I mean what are we doing still sending troops to fight a ground war. We're spending money on all this amazing technology. I think we ought to use it...at least until we here on earth learn how to use the force.

POP-SCI had an article awhile back that we now have stealth/invisibility cloak technology for our vehicles in broad daylight.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 02:04 AM   #48
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
I'm not sure how relevant to the current discussion this is, but, if we have such advanced aircraft, and we also have un-manned aircraft, is that not a wiser choice for wars?
We are using UAVs. More or less for recon, although I think that they can be armed with precision bombs now.

I don't think that we should ever stop using manned aircraft for warfare. The people that fly these aircraft have dedicated their lives to understanding and using their aircraft, and there just has to be that human factor. You have to actually be there to fully grasp what the situation is. Yes, it is dangerous, and I am sorry if I sound cold while saying this, but these brave men and women willingly signed up for what they do and I am sure that they are aware of the dangers involves. There should always be that human factor, not just program a UAV into doing something specific. Their programming will get more and more advanced as time goes on until they will not need some, if any, human support. Yes, I think that UAVs are great, but mainly for recon.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 02:11 AM   #49
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The advantage of reconnaissance aircraft over satellites is tactical flexiblility. Satellites can be tracked and their orbits make their approach predictable, whereas an aircraft can overfly an area at any time, which is why there will always be a need for such aircraft, manned or not. While I'm sure that stealth satellites are within the realm of possibility, they would have to be well camoflauged because they could still be tracked visually.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 03:54 PM   #50
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
UAV's are likely to replace manned fighters not because they become tactically superior or expendable, but because they could potentially perform anything that would kill a pilot. The F-16's pilot seat was angled back 30 degrees in order for a pilot to handle 9 G's, but even then, only the most seasoned pilots can perform such maneuvers. It's not the ability of the pilot, but the limitations of the human body that restrict a fighter's potential performance.

The F-22 and F-35 are potentially the last manned fighters we will ever see. The next generation would likely be unmanned and can perform in ways that would otherwise kill a pilot.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #51
vanir
Forumite

I have an interesting thought about the UAV/ULCV. Let's take it to the limit, give it ten years of further development.

Okay so we've got this UAV capable of +13/-5g manouevres like it was nothing and 5 Mach. It's even got its own automated guidence system for limited autonomy and extensive hard-wiring for ECM. It's like a guided missile which releases independent warheads for attack.
Now you want a mothership to release these UAV's from, which are manned and have fully comprehensive ECM and AWACS for effective battlefield control. It should be relatively short range from the operating airspace of the UAV to increase datalink, ECM, communications and Intelligence effectiveness.

Have you noticed we've basically outlined something like a two-seater F-22 launching very advanced, guided missiles with multiple, independent warheads.
vanir is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #52
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
There are many advantages to having UAV/UCAVs, as already stated. They would totally revolutionize the battlefield. Unfortunately, I believe what Darth_Yuthura pointed out, the F-22 & F-35 are probably going to be the lasted manned combat aircraft that we will see. :/

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #53
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7 View Post
There are many advantages to having UAV/UCAVs, as already stated. They would totally revolutionize the battlefield. Unfortunately, I believe what Darth_Yuthura pointed out, the F-22 & F-35 are probably going to be the lasted manned combat aircraft that we will see. :/
My dad and I were having this very same argument the other day. There really is no reason to have manned aircraft these days. On that both of us agreed. However he did have a good point in that the military will always have it's "pilots" even if it's only by remote control. Computer technology has not progressed far enough for a computer to make a judgement call on an unknown situation. They are very good at reacting to a known situation, but factor in the fog of war, and limited intel, and you have a recipe for unnecessary deaths. The Air Force will be reluctant to change to unmanned aircraft mainly because it would have to come from the generals. Many of those generals are former pilots.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Top Secret Aircraft