lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: How to close Guantanamo?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #41
TheRogueForums
Rookie
 
TheRogueForums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Louisville
Posts: 89
Ok, to the thread topic- should GitMO be closed. I say no. It's an invaluable tool for us (the US). Should it be overhauled? Yes. Should the media and other public watchdogs be there? Of course not. It's a matter of national security. Perhaps a government-sanctioned oversight, but not something public. The media have no place, in my opinion, in matters of warfare.

On to the matter of the rights of the detainees. They are not American citizens. They should not be afforded American rights. However, that said, they should also not be treated like animals. Mentally... they are... well.. "not nice people." I know, I helped put some of them there. But biologically, they ARE humans, and should be treated as such. I say we treat them no better or worse than they would be treated in their countries of origin.

TheRogueForums is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #42
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,625
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogueForums View Post
Ok, to the thread topic- should GitMO be closed. I say no. It's an invaluable tool for us (the US).
If you're talking about the Naval Base, I agree.

Quote:
On to the matter of the rights of the detainees. They are not American citizens. They should not be afforded American rights.
Then they should also not be placed in American Prisons.

Quote:
However, that said, they should also not be treated like animals. Mentally... they are... well.. "not nice people."
And some of them are mentally... well.. 'innocent people'






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #43
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,025
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogueForums View Post
Should the media and other public watchdogs be there?
Who suggested that the media or other public watchdogs be there?

I know checks and balances have become foreign balances over the past eight years, but there should be Congressional oversight. There should be independent international oversight in the treatment of prisons. After all, we expect the same when our citizens are being held by a foreign government.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #44
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian
 
mur'phon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southier than thou
Posts: 1,537
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Face it there are some people you can't negotiate with.
Disagreed, though often it should be combined with other actions.

Quote:
Should the media and other public watchdogs be there? Of course not. It's a matter of national security. Perhaps a government-sanctioned oversight, but not something public. The media have no place, in my opinion, in matters of warfare.
As a conservative, do you trust the goverment enough to let it only be acountable to itself in this matter?

Anyway, I'm still waiting for a good answer from the "Obamaniacs" to the thread question.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #45
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon View Post
Disagreed, though often it should be combined with other actions.
Remember they Negotiated with Hitler and in doing so they emboldened him.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon
As a conservative, do you trust the goverment enough to let it only be acountable to itself in this matter?
Depends on who is in charge, if it were someone like Ronald Reagan in charge, I would trust the government a lot more than I will come January. I do not trust Obama at all, I would trust Hillary Clinton more than I'd trust Obama, and I think Hillary is a pathological liar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon
Anyway, I'm still waiting for a good answer from the "Obamaniacs" to the thread question.
Should be interesting to see the response.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #46
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Remember they Negotiated with Hitler and in doing so they emboldened him.
So? I fail to see how this is relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfy
Should be interesting to see the response.
It doesn't matter to me where you put them (to an extent.) TBH, the Gitmo prison isn't the problem, it's what's occurring there. In other words, maybe you don't need to move them from there at all, just give them due process and actually charge them with a crime, instead of keeping whoever the hell you want in solitary confinement or doing hard labor.

Or move them to a high security military prison here in the US. Just treat them like they're humans. I'm sure you'd agree, Murphon, originally being from a country where the maximum sentence is 21 years... right?

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #47
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian
 
mur'phon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southier than thou
Posts: 1,537
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Remember they Negotiated with Hitler and in doing so they emboldened him.
Remember, I said it should often be combined with other actions, which might include a cruise misile

Quote:
Depends on who is in charge, if it were someone like Ronald Reagan in charge, I would trust the government a lot more than I will come January. I do not trust Obama at all, I would trust Hillary Clinton more than I'd trust Obama, and I think Hillary is a pathological liar.
And since such rules tend to be in place for quite some time, it makes sence to not give them that power in the first place. As for myself, I don't trust the government no matter who is in charge.

Ender: The problem is that you have some detainees which will be close to impossible to get sentenced due to lack of evidence, or how it was obtained, despite being very likely to commit terrorist acts if they walk free. So how do you deal with them? Or, to decide how you deal with them, what will you call them? POW, civilians or something else? My question was directed at those who believe Gitmo will magically disapear leaving a bad taste. Sure, there are answers, but they are all in shades of grey.
Oh, and kudos for doing your homework

Last edited by mur'phon; 12-24-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Ender posted
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #48
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,025
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
It doesn't matter to me where you put them (to an extent.) TBH, the Gitmo prison isn't the problem, it's what's occurring there. In other words, maybe you don't need to move them from there at all, just give them due process and actually charge them with a crime, instead of keeping whoever the hell you want in solitary confinement or doing hard labor.
QFT

The reason they are being held on Guantanamo is not for security, they are there so the American Government can violate its own laws. Like EnderWiggin,I have no problem with keeping Guantanamo open provided there are changes to the treatment of the inmates. I just want to end the reasons we are using Guantanamo instead of another prison under the jurisdiction of the American judicial system.

Oh, I'm under the opinion since Guantanamo is an American Military Base, it is American soil so all American laws apply there.

Unlike Bush, I hope Obama does not take the easy way out and transfer the detainees to another country that will even treat them more barbarically.

Last edited by mimartin; 12-24-2008 at 09:56 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #49
vanir
Forumite
 
vanir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: south of Gundagai
Posts: 632
Qliveur said pretty much everything that was on my mind, once again

Smart guy.
vanir is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #50
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
Because maybe if they're treated humanely, they, and possible future generations won't be so inclined to blow up buses and buildings?
I really wish this were true. Unfortunately the terrorists(note: I did not say all detainees) will claim they were treated horribly whether or not it is true. The future generations will not have a higher opinion of us because of our treatment of prisoners.

Fact is, many of the detainees are from other countries that will not take them back. Basically they aren't guilty enough to put on trial, but are not legal to be placed back on our soil. So we try to get the originating country to take them back. They refuse. So, what do we do with them?

Some of the detainees were captured during the war in Afghanistan/Iraq. Those countries have neither the facilities nor the desire to deal with the detainees. By keeping them at Gitmo we actually might be preventing them from receiving a far worse treatment.

As to affording them the benefits of POW's. If they want to be treated like soldiers, they need to act like soldiers, rather than terrorists. Firing from the cover of civilians, lessens my desire to treat them like a soldier. Firing from hospitals and schools to draw us into possibly killing civilians, or just letting them shoot at us, really makes me not want to treat them like a soldier. They do not afford our captured soldiers the protections of the GC. Basically they are not following the rules of warfare, so they do not get afforded the protections granted for following the rules of warfare.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #51
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
As to affording them the benefits of POW's. If they want to be treated like soldiers, they need to act like soldiers, rather than terrorists. Firing from the cover of civilians, lessens my desire to treat them like a soldier. Firing from hospitals and schools to draw us into possibly killing civilians, or just letting them shoot at us, really makes me not want to treat them like a soldier. They do not afford our captured soldiers the protections of the GC. Basically they are not following the rules of warfare, so they do not get afforded the protections granted for following the rules of warfare.
It is precisely because of what they do to our boys when they catch them that what we do with them is so important. If we are to represent "Good" then our behaviour must be beyond reproach as far as possible; all war does is bring out the "best" in evil men, and the worst in good ones. Nietzsche was most defiantly correct when he observed; "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you". See the problem with war, is slowly it eats away at people, how far do you need to go to defeat the enemy? And before you know it you have become the very thing you are trying to defeat. In other words, in fighting to defeat the monster, you yourself turned into a monster. That is why our treatment of the detainees is so important; especially if they are guilty. They may have done horrific acts, but in treating them like humans, in giving them a trial etc, you prove what you are fighting for; coming down the their level, makes you no better than them, so what are you fighting for?



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #52
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
It is precisely because of what they do to our boys when they catch them that what we do with them is so important. If we are to represent "Good" then our behaviour must be beyond reproach as far as possible; all war does is bring out the "best" in evil men, and the worst in good ones. Nietzsche was most defiantly correct when he observed; "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you". See the problem with war, is slowly it eats away at people, how far do you need to go to defeat the enemy? And before you know it you have become the very thing you are trying to defeat. In other words, in fighting to defeat the monster, you yourself turned into a monster. That is why our treatment of the detainees is so important; especially if they are guilty. They may have done horrific acts, but in treating them like humans, in giving them a trial etc, you prove what you are fighting for; coming down the their level, makes you no better than them, so what are you fighting for?
By no means am I saying that we should sink to their levels. The GC were put in place to protect the legitimate soldiers. They were also put in place to give a reason NOT to violate them. By violating them you forgo those protections. Basically meaning that we CAN do with those detainees captured that were not covered by the GC, whatever we wish. Not saying that we SHOULD, just that we CAN. HUGE difference there. I personally think we should treat them better than they treat ours, but not give them so much protection that we are chained to rules that have no application.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #53
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
By no means am I saying that we should sink to their levels. The GC were put in place to protect the legitimate soldiers. They were also put in place to give a reason NOT to violate them. By violating them you forgo those protections. Basically meaning that we CAN do with those detainees captured that were not covered by the GC, whatever we wish. Not saying that we SHOULD, just that we CAN. HUGE difference there. I personally think we should treat them better than they treat ours, but not give them so much protection that we are chained to rules that have no application.
That holds no logic, the only reason you wouldn't want to be tied to the Geneva Convention, would be so you could torture detainee's. The fact that Gitmo doesn't tie itself to the GC, is already slipping to what the terrorists do, and water boarding is certainly only just above what they do to our boys when they are captured. Most concerning is the instince by some morons in your government (Rumsfeld) that torture is useful, it is a psychologically proven fact that you don't get reliable intelligence from individuals who have been subjected to torture; everyone has a breaking point, and once that is reached an individual will tell you what they think you want to hear.

On-topic, Gitmo shouldn't be closed, it should be brought under the Geneva Convention, and all those there should just be put through due process, and those who are innocent let go.



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #54
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
That holds no logic, the only reason you wouldn't want to be tied to the Geneva Convention, would be so you could torture detainee's. The fact that Gitmo doesn't tie itself to the GC, is already slipping to what the terrorists do, and water boarding is certainly only just above what they do to our boys when they are captured. Most concerning is the instince by some morons in your government (Rumsfeld) that torture is useful, it is a psychologically proven fact that you don't get reliable intelligence from individuals who have been subjected to torture; everyone has a breaking point, and once that is reached an individual will tell you what they think you want to hear.

On-topic, Gitmo shouldn't be closed, it should be brought under the Geneva Convention, and all those there should just be put through due process, and those who are innocent let go.
Having been through SERE training myself, I know about how useless torture is at gaining useful information. There are however information gathering techniques that fall into a gray area of "torture" while not being actual torture(note: waterboarding is not one of them, but sleep dep is). But there are other areas of protections provided by the GC that have nothing to do with torture that these persons should not need to be afforded(though actually are). All in all we really treat them(for the most part at least) better than most treat their POW's. The negatives have been exaggerated by the media(not because of liberal bias or anything, but because as one media talking head said, "You don't report on a house that isn't burning"), but the detainees there are getting better treatment than people think.

I have to say though, that I really do not think much needs to be changed. Get rid of the ineffective means of information gathering.

Of course, there is also the possibility that there is no torture going on, and the reported cases are actually a method of injecting fear into the detainees. But I wouldn't count on it.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #55
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon View Post
Ender: The problem is that you have some detainees which will be close to impossible to get sentenced due to lack of evidence, or how it was obtained, despite being very likely to commit terrorist acts if they walk free.
I don't care if they're very likely to commit acts if they walk free. If we don't have enough evidence to charge them, we have no grounds to hold them. That's how the justice system works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon
Oh, and kudos for doing your homework
Thanks

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2008, 01:14 AM   #56
TheRogueForums
Rookie
 
TheRogueForums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Louisville
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
That's how the justice system works.
The American "Justice" system, as we know it, is broken. If a bugler can sue a home owner, for the home owner shooting the bugler in the kneecap, as he broke into that home... then, yeah, our system is utter phail. A woman sued AND won a case against McDonalds, because she was driving... with hot coffee... and burned herself. The justice system is a joke. Besides, this is NOT a civilian justice issue- this is a military issue. If ANYTHING, they should be held accountable to the UCMJ.

TheRogueForums is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2008, 01:21 AM   #57
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogueForums View Post
The American "Justice" system, as we know it, is broken. If a bugler can sue a home owner, for the home owner shooting the bugler in the kneecap, as he broke into that home... then, yeah, our system is utter phail. A woman sued AND won a case against McDonalds, because she was driving... with hot coffee... and burned herself. The justice system is a joke. Besides, this is NOT a civilian justice issue- this is a military issue. If ANYTHING, they should be held accountable to the UCMJ.

I was talking about justice, the principle, and American rights, the concept. Not the specific execution of it. And not only do you list a few incidents, totally glossing over the point that it's like 0.0000000001% of the total cases are against the theory of the system, you then provide rebuttal to your own points, stating that it's not a civilian issue, but rather a criminal/military case.

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2008, 05:23 AM   #58
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,025
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogueForums View Post
this is NOT a civilian justice issue- this is a military issue.
This is a human rights issue!

The same issue we try to dictate onto other countries, now we are guilty of violating the very same issue. Every administration as far back as I can remember has criticized China for violating human right, by holding prisoner indefinitely, not telling the prisoner what they are changed with, not giving the prisoner a trial and practicing torture on prisoners.

It does not matter that they are not citizen. They are human.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2008, 05:59 AM   #59
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian
 
mur'phon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southier than thou
Posts: 1,537
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I don't care if they're very likely to commit acts if they walk free. If we don't have enough evidence to charge them, we have no grounds to hold them. That's how the justice system works.
And that is one way to deal with it, though I doubt Obama will do it because 1: Americans are unlikely to love him for freeing "potential" terrorists in America, and 2: Americans are certain to hate him if one of them goes boom.
Not saying it's the wrong (or right) way to deal with the issue, just that I don't see it happening in practice.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #60
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,025
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon View Post
And that is one way to deal with it, though I doubt Obama will do it because 1: Americans are unlikely to love him for freeing "potential" terrorists in America
Why not? At least the so-called "Obamaniacs" would still love him. After all, the Bush fanboys still seem to love him even after he condoned such inhumane acts as waterboarding.

Yes, the Bush Administration admits it did use waterboarding. It just denies it was torture at the time it was used. Let us see the United States government called waterboarding torture when Japan and Vietnam used it against our troops. It is considered torture now by U.S. law, but there was times in between according to the Bush Administration were it was legal and not considered torture. Besides, they were very careful when performing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washingtonpost.com
Human rights advocates and legal scholars say the practice constitutes torture under U.S. laws and international treaties, but Bush administration officials say it was used under careful standards and controls and was not torture under U.S. laws at the time.
Link


You don’t think us “Obamaniacs” can be just as loving to Obama if he does the right and humane thing as the Bush fayboys are when he did the wrong and inhumane thing.

Sorry if I don’t agree with Bush Administration’s assessment of who a “potential” terrorist are. Considering they have over a million people U.S. citizens on a “watch list” including a setting U.S. Senator and myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon View Post
2: Americans are certain to hate him if one of them goes boom.
Yes, they world.

I’ve always been under the impression that this countries legal system was designed by our founding fathers to protect the innocent. When we put money in the equation by offering bounties to the people of Afghanistan and Iraq we tainted the results to if we are capturing criminals or just someone that is disliked. There should be a hearing to ascertain their guilt. Then a trial and then if no evidence is presented other wise they should be released back to their country of origin. If their country will not take them, then we should find a country that will.

If they are found guilt, then they should be sentenced.

I really do not care if this is done by a military court or a civilian court. I do not question the U.S. military’s integrity. For that matter I’d rather it be a military court instead of a court proceeding under a political appointee civilian judge.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #61
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Why not? At least the so-called "Obamaniacs" would still love him. After all, the Bush fanboys still seem to love him even after he condoned such inhumane acts as waterboarding.
Actually, quite a few of us stopped liking him for that reason. I defend him where (I feel) he deserves defense. But as for liking him, I stopped liking him a while back. I dunno, maybe I'm not so much a Bush fanboy as I thought. Heck if the Dems weren't playing the tax cut roll back card I would probably have voted for them. I have a hard time voting for anyone that says they will increase my taxes.

At any rate, I think you'd find that should one of those persons get released and perform a terrorist act, it would be very damaging for the Dems in general. Actually it would be damaging to the whole "Close Gitmo" cause in general, and anyone in favor of it(which is admittedly mostly Dem, but also many Reps as well). Then again, there is the old quote by Ben Franklin,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #62
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Actually it would be damaging to the whole "Close Gitmo" cause in general, and anyone in favor of it(which is admittedly mostly Dem, but also many Reps as well). Then again, there is the old quote by Ben Franklin,
Only as damaging as it is to the prison system when a newly released inmate commits a crime again. More damaging I suppose because Gitmo is a one-of-a-kind thing. If we actually tired them and give them a real charge, this argument might go somewhere, but the "you're in prison 'cause we said so, suck it." argument the government has been using isn't exactly going to move anyone towards any sort of in or out.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #63
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
Only as damaging as it is to the prison system when a newly released inmate commits a crime again. More damaging I suppose because Gitmo is a one-of-a-kind thing. If we actually tired them and give them a real charge, this argument might go somewhere, but the "you're in prison 'cause we said so, suck it." argument the government has been using isn't exactly going to move anyone towards any sort of in or out.
Not really comparable. The prison system is completely different, and the trials let enough people out before they hit that that tends to draw more attention. However, if we do put those in Gitmo on trial and release some that we really have no reason besides some odd ball justification, you know everyone that supports Gitmo will be watching very closely. There isn't nearly as much attention being paid to prisons, or ex cons. I just don't see Obama taking that risk. At least not in his first term.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2008, 02:53 AM   #64
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
I think the only reason we think it's not comparable is because we aren't as paranoid about what ex-cons can do. So they kill a person, couple kids even, yeah that's horrible, but it's not like we don't see it on the 6 o'clock once a week at least. But these guys are terrorists oooooo, scaaaaarrrryyy, I mean, it's not like white people like McVeugh(sp) can't blow people up too. And they do it here in the States not to our troops in another country.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2008, 04:28 AM   #65
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(.)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogueForums View Post
The American "Justice" system, as we know it, is broken. If a bugler can sue a home owner, for the home owner shooting the bugler in the kneecap, as he broke into that home... then, yeah, our system is utter phail. A woman sued AND won a case against McDonalds, because she was driving... with hot coffee... and burned herself. The justice system is a joke. Besides, this is NOT a civilian justice issue- this is a military issue. If ANYTHING, they should be held accountable to the UCMJ.
If you're referring to that old woman, she offered to settle with McDonalds for the amount of her medical expenses, which isn't that ridiculous since at the time McDonalds was serving their coffee at dangerously high temperatures (iirc it was around 30-40 degrees hotter than any other chain was serving their coffee). She won the case since McDonalds knew serving coffee that hot was dangerous and continued to do so anyway.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #66
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
If you're referring to that old woman, she offered to settle with McDonalds for the amount of her medical expenses, which isn't that ridiculous since at the time McDonalds was serving their coffee at dangerously high temperatures (iirc it was around 30-40 degrees hotter than any other chain was serving their coffee). She won the case since McDonalds knew serving coffee that hot was dangerous and continued to do so anyway.
Yeah, it's funny that the case often cited as a failure of the justice system is actually a case where justice was served. McDonalds served that coffee so hot that it gave her 3rd degree burns. They refused to pay for her medical expenses, and knew they were serving it dangerously hot.

Now the cases of people gaining thousands off of stores for "slip and fall" scams. THAT is a real failure.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #67
ForeverNight
nrgurt researcher
 
ForeverNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,204
Current Game: q2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
That holds no logic, the only reason you wouldn't want to be tied to the Geneva Convention, would be so you could torture detainee's. The fact that Gitmo doesn't tie itself to the GC, is already slipping to what the terrorists do, and water boarding is certainly only just above what they do to our boys when they are captured. Most concerning is the instince by some morons in your government (Rumsfeld) that torture is useful, it is a psychologically proven fact that you don't get reliable intelligence from individuals who have been subjected to torture; everyone has a breaking point, and once that is reached an individual will tell you what they think you want to hear.

On-topic, Gitmo shouldn't be closed, it should be brought under the Geneva Convention, and all those there should just be put through due process, and those who are innocent let go.
See Below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litofsky View Post
Actually, I propose that you are wrong, under the assumption that these 'terrorists' are fighting to free their land from US forces/influence. I'm not condoning their actions- far from it (I'm of the 'diplomatic solutions' opinions), but, rather, suggest that they are doing what they figure necessary to save their land. Do (we) not have troops stationed in (their) homes, occupying their nation?

'They,' of course, is a subjective term, but, in this case, I would say that the word 'they' means a belligerent against the US and allies.
I think you missed something:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneva Convention
(d) That of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.
Source is the same as the first time I quoted the Convention.

Since Terrorists do not "conduct their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war" then they AREN'T covered by the convention.

As for this being covered under the UCMJ, well I think the people this would affect would really dislike that turn of events, it's much more flexible in how stuff is done -more under the "Crime Control" model of a justice system- than the US Justice System proper....

But, if that's how they are wanting to be treated -like soldiers- than I'm more than happy to oblige them, assuming that they live up to their end of the bargain. You know, actually act like soldiers.


ForeverNight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #68
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(.)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverNight View Post
See Below.



I think you missed something:



Source is the same as the first time I quoted the Convention.

Since Terrorists do not "conduct their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war" then they AREN'T covered by the convention.

As for this being covered under the UCMJ, well I think the people this would affect would really dislike that turn of events, it's much more flexible in how stuff is done -more under the "Crime Control" model of a justice system- than the US Justice System proper....

But, if that's how they are wanting to be treated -like soldiers- than I'm more than happy to oblige them, assuming that they live up to their end of the bargain. You know, actually act like soldiers.
I think you're kind of missing the point. They may not fit into the definition of a soldier, but that doesn't mean they should be tortured since a) torture only serves to bring the U.S. down to the level people like Osama bin Laden say we are on, inciting more to become terrorists; b) torture has been proven to be an ineffective interrogation technique; and c) it isn't the Dark Ages.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #69
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
I think you're kind of missing the point. They may not fit into the definition of a soldier, but that doesn't mean they should be tortured since a) torture only serves to bring the U.S. down to the level people like Osama bin Laden say we are on, inciting more to become terrorists; b) torture has been proven to be an ineffective interrogation technique; and c) it isn't the Dark Ages.
Listen to reason when it passes by; this is the most coherent and lucid thing I've ever seen Jaymack post

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #70
ForeverNight
nrgurt researcher
 
ForeverNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,204
Current Game: q2
That may be, however I am making the point that they are not under any circumstances covered by Geneva, since a Terrorist goes after Civilian targets to make the most terrifying impression they can. And, as Jae pointed out in another thread, purposely targeting Civilians is against the laws and customs of war.

I don't know if they should be tortured. But, if the information needed is needed at that very moment in order to avert a catastrophe then I say go ahead and do it. If that case cannot be made... then, well, it matters on how badly the information is needed and what is done with it, and then if it was proven that they are indeed terrorists.


ForeverNight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #71
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverNight View Post
That may be, however I am making the point that they are not under any circumstances covered by Geneva, since a Terrorist goes after Civilian targets to make the most terrifying impression they can. And, as Jae pointed out in another thread, purposely targeting Civilians is against the laws and customs of war.

I don't know if they should be tortured. But, if the information needed is needed at that very moment in order to avert a catastrophe then I say go ahead and do it. If that case cannot be made... then, well, it matters on how badly the information is needed and what is done with it, and then if it was proven that they are indeed terrorists.
That why innocent farmers are locked up in Gitmo then?

I have already pointed out that it is a psychological FACT, that intelligence gathered under torture is not reliable, ever. You can ignore this, and pretend the world works as Jack Baur would have you think, however the facts are very different. As once you have "cracked" someone they will tell you whatever you want to hear, to make you stop them torturing. So if someone is going to give good intelligence torture isn't needed.

But fine, play little legal games with Geneva Convention. Though how do you establish if someone is a terrorist or not, without a court to view the evidence? The legal system, stands or falls on innocent until proven guilty. You'll forgive me for not trusting the UK and US governments, after say Iraq the Global Economic melt down etc...

But just to play your little game; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...f_Human_Rights



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #72
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post

But just to play your little game; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...f_Human_Rights


_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #73
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverNight View Post
That may be, however I am making the point that they are not under any circumstances covered by Geneva, since a Terrorist ....
...is a title assigned to an enemy fighter by the perceived "good guys" for committing acts abstractly assigned as "terror" or designed to inspire "terror" "they" call "us" terrorists just as much as we call them. This vague definition makes just about every soldier in the world, and thus every nation, into a terrorist and a terrorist nation.

Quote:
and then if it was proven that they are indeed terrorists.
As I said, who is a terrorist is something that is rather abstractly applied based on a rather abstract definition of what a "terror" act is.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2008, 03:28 AM   #74
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
...is a title assigned to an enemy fighter by the perceived "good guys" for committing acts abstractly assigned as "terror" or designed to inspire "terror" "they" call "us" terrorists just as much as we call them. This vague definition makes just about every soldier in the world, and thus every nation, into a terrorist and a terrorist nation.


As I said, who is a terrorist is something that is rather abstractly applied based on a rather abstract definition of what a "terror" act is.
Negative. Terrorists can be easily defined by their actions of targeting civilians, and using civilians as cover. The Department of Defense Dictionary of Military Terms defines terrorism as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD Dictionary
The calculated use of unlawful violence or threat of unlawful violence to inculcate fear; intended to coerce or to intimidate governments or societies in the pursuit of goals that are generally political, religious, or ideological.
Failing to follow the rules of warfare as defined by the Geneva Conventions places them in the category of terrorists.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #75
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
This is a human rights issue!
You want to complain about human rights, why don't I see you raising issue about China's prison system or the Iranian Justice system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
The same issue we try to dictate onto other countries, now we are guilty of violating the very same issue. Every administration as far back as I can remember has criticized China for violating human right, by holding prisoner indefinitely, not telling the prisoner what they are changed with, not giving the prisoner a trial and practicing torture on prisoners.
First of all, these guys were shooting at our soldiers in Afghanistan and they weren't wearing any uniform, technically we could have just shot them as spies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
It does not matter that they are not citizen. They are human.
They are also fanatics that are bent on killing any American they can.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #76
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
You want to complain about human rights, why don't I see you raising issue about China's prison system or the Iranian Justice system?
Before you began.... educating us in Kavar's, I'm pretty sure we had a thread about China's human rights, or at least talked about it during the Olympics. So, in fact, I do complain about China/Iran, but seeing as this thread's title is 'How to close Guantanamo," I figure it would be rude to derail it to talk about other, equally immoral things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfy
They are also fanatics that are bent on killing any American they can.
HUMAN fanatics.

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #77
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(.)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Negative. Terrorists can be easily defined by their actions of targeting civilians, and using civilians as cover. The Department of Defense Dictionary of Military Terms defines terrorism as:


Failing to follow the rules of warfare as defined by the Geneva Conventions places them in the category of terrorists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
You want to complain about human rights, why don't I see you raising issue about China's prison system or the Iranian Justice system?



First of all, these guys were shooting at our soldiers in Afghanistan and they weren't wearing any uniform, technically we could have just shot them as spies.



They are also fanatics that are bent on killing any American they can.
thank god we can get away with torture on a technicality



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #78
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
You want to complain about human rights, why don't I see you raising issue about China's prison system or the Iranian Justice system?
This has already been addressed in thread - given many people here are American, they can actually change how there government acts - they can't really do much about China. However, if you want to be the 'good guys' you have to act like the 'good guys' having Gitmo is not acting like the 'good guys' its acting like everyone else.



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #79
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,025
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
You want to complain about human rights, why don't I see you raising issue about China's prison system or the Iranian Justice system?
Have you ever seen me praise either?

Call me selfish, I just happen to care about my country more that Iran or China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
First of all, these guys were shooting at our soldiers in Afghanistan and they weren't wearing any uniform, technically we could have just shot them as spies.
Are we sure J7 hasn't taken over GarfieldJL's user name. This sounds like British troops talking about American troops during our fight for independence.

How do you know they were not Farmers turned in for their bounty?

Please explain how you could charge those capture such as Jamil al-Banna as a spy. He was not wearing a uniform, guess he is a spy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
They are also fanatics that are bent on killing any American they can.
Prove it. In a court of law. That is all I am asking.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #80
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
This has already been addressed in thread - given many people here are American, they can actually change how there government acts - they can't really do much about China. However, if you want to be the 'good guys' you have to act like the 'good guys' having Gitmo is not acting like the 'good guys' its acting like everyone else.
Well problem with the argument they are giving is that the accommodations are better at Gitmo than the US Prison system. Their living conditions are arguably better than what the guards get.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > How to close Guantanamo?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.