lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Tech News and Gossip thread...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #441
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
I don't understand why the AM3's look like they're going to be clocked lower than the AM2's. Can anybody explain that one to me?
*pleads for Q in picard-like fashion*

lets hope he gets the message over there in the continuum

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #442
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It's because the 3.0GHz AM3 version, the 945, will be models of a later stepping. I will be the C3 stepping instead of C2 like the 940 AM2+ version, which is why it's coming out later (it's coming out in Q2 2009).

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #443
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

@Q > what do you predict Phenom IIs performance as being like?

How it stands up to any intel product is irrelevant to me > as long as its *at least* like a double version of my x2 6000+ and power/heat efficient, then I'll be more than chuffed to be throwing some $$ at another AMD CPU(finally), and saving the real dough for the 55nm nvGPUs..

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 12-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #444
Q
The one who knocks

I think that it should at least equal Kentsfield so it would provide about a 25% IPC advantage over your 6000+ in single-threaded apps if it is. It may even equal Yorkfield and if that is the case then you'd be looking at 30%+. With all of the CPU-intensive stuff that you do it would be a worthwhile upgrade. The 3GHZ model should sell for less than $300.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #445
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

cheers Q. That sounds pretty decent to me

Now, for those 55nm nvGPUs... I wish theyd get a move on

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 12-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #446
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Which 55nm nvGPU are you waiting for?

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #447
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Maybe this one

GTX 260 GX2 aka GTX 295

check out the numbers(quoted from linkie)

Quote:
GeForce GTX295 VGA card will feature two GPUs of 55nm GT200. And the number of stream processors is 480 (240×2), not 216×2 as we reported. Besides, its memory bus width is 896 bit (448bitx2), and memory size is 1792MB DDR3 (896MBx2). It won’t adopt GDDR5, and its total power is 289W. GTX 295 will be launched on Jan 8th...
Still, Ive always been weary of GX2s.... lets see what the 1600p benchies say before I get any further excited. But I have to admit, GX2 has begun to sound more funtastic when you think of them from a folder's perspective

Looks like the 4870X2 has a ninja fight on its hands

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 12-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #448
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

So that picture Expreview is showing in that article isn't of the GTX 295, right? I mean, it can't be because I only see one GPU package on it.

No doubt such a card would be able to crunch through WU's like crazy. I always wondered how multiple GPU clients are configured to run on multi-GPU systems.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #449
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
No doubt such a card would be able to crunch through WU's like crazy. I always wondered how multiple GPU clients are configured to run on multi-GPU systems.
Theres plenty on it at the folding forums... can you imagine if chainz had a GX2 of his 280... almost 100,000 points per week > DAMN!

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #450
Q
The one who knocks

I should have also mentioned that I think that it's really cool that AMD is finally coming through on their promise to deliver a truly worthwhile upgrade for all of those people who purchased Socket AM2 motherboards.

If all of the buzz that I am hearing is true, then Phenom II should be a good overclocker as well, which is good news for those who want to get the best bang for their buck. I'm hearing 4GHZ+ on air, and I hope that it's true.

-Toker
Old 12-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #451
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

The capabilities of the AM2 chips are far from irrelevant to everyday users needs, so it was a positive and considerate decision by AMD to do this. Although, there are increasingly less of them around, especially those early X1s which have developed a bit of a cult following as 'Atom Killers'

Now that intel has moved onto corei7, what about all those C2Ds, theyre still great performers - I would hope intel would have kept enough on the market to give consumers who arent interested in corei7 a lower cost alternative... same goes for the phenom gen I, theyre not super, but theyre more than sufficient for millions of potential users.

My only concerns(and it will be mine alone around here!) is the actual dimensions of those new Gfx cards! I have serious concerns about squeezing them into my shuttle! Ive seen it done with a GTX 280, though need to check if anyone has done it with a 4870X2. It may end up meaning I get a redesigned model that was built with them in mind(as opposed to the 8800s )

*sigh* now to plan the necessary bank heist to fund this burgeoning project

Edits: More News

Some more AMD CPU news, as they roll out a new phenom based dual core CPU clocked at 3.6GHz at less than $100 a pop. The good thing is they consume 95W compared to the 3Ghz x2 6000 which consumes 125W

An ok budget option I guess, but I'd rather go for those Phenom IIs

Speaking of Phenom II, those dullards at toms posted a report that they could not get 5Ghz with phenom II, prompting fanboy/enthusiast queries that AMD were 'lying' about the phenoms capabilities. It seems some Greek OCers did manage it though...(same link as prev for more info)

In other news, reports that the GT300 cards are due in Q1, not long after the 285/295 are due. Lolz.. looks they are doing what they did with the 9800GX2/260/280 release. Methinks I will wait and see how the 3xx series performs before I jump on a 295 now

nvidia released some "internally tested" 295 vx 4870X2 benchies at 1600p Definitely good performance, but not a massive knockout blow to the 4870X2 by any means.. I wonder how the 3x series will stack up. If it can match or better those numbers on a single GPU, Im sold. Dual GPU is great from a folding perspective, but a single GPU is always preferable from a heat/power consumption POV.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 12-16-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #452
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
lolz astro you say that every time a new GPU is released

a 95W dual-core Phenom @3.6Ghz for less than $100 sounds like a mighty good deal though...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2008, 04:51 AM   #453
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun View Post
lolz astro you say that every time a new GPU is released
Yes, this worries me... when it comes to GPUs, I get like a ditzy blonde (apologies to all the clever blondes out there)

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 12-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #454
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Many sites have gotten their hands on a preview model of GTX 295

Here's a couple of reads that are decently detailed

Hard OCP Preview

G3D Preview

longstoryshort: 2x 55nm GTX260s stuck together. A worthy competitor for 4870X2 rather than its ultimate destroyer. On rez up to 1080p, will do very well indeed(even crysis)

final thoughts:
if you can stay your boiling blood for the ultra high end, wait for the GTX300 specs and benchies before buying this one

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 12-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #455
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
longstoryshort: 2x 55nm GTX260s stuck together. A worthy competitor for 4870X2 rather than its ultimate destroyer. On rez up to 1080p, will do very well indeed(even crysis)
As long as you keep in mind that each of the 2x 55nm GTX 260's have 240 stream processors instead of 192 or 216.
Quote:
final thoughts:
if you can stay your boiling blood for the ultra high end, wait for the GTX300 specs and benchies before buying this one
I think I can hold out for the GTX 300's.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #456
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Straight from Redmond, Windows7 announced to be shipping with 20 versions*

*may or may not be a joke

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 12-27-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #457
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

^Scary thing is that could happen...

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #458
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

So I guess this is what happens when a company tries to make an operating system that meets everyone's needs?

Old 12-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #459
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

^This is what happens when a company FAILS to make an OS that meets everyones needs.

Here is an example of what happens when they succeed:

Old 12-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #460
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
^^^^
yep, right up to the moment that you try to install Crysis or Fallout 3 on the computer that you just spent $5000USD (monitor sold separately). indeed, OSX Leopard is *the* choice for anyone and everyone under the sun....

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #461
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Ok then, it's maybe not the best OS for gamers, but for everyone else it's great.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #462
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

lolz@shameless Mac promotion. I love Final Cut Pro(though Adobe CS4 64 bit Edition is slowly usurping), but the rest of the Apple experience is like Linux for me... fun, but when you need to get back to your beloved games - it gets switched off. The lack of (legal) options for DIY is also a major bugbear for many.

anyway, news roundup:

DVD aint dead, BluRay DVD Hybrid Discs storing 33.5GB announced
>>Great thing is they will probably push along teh continuing reduction in prices of BR drives....but once everyone has BR drives, they'll probably become redundant ?

nv GTX 260 Core 216 drop in price No doubt in anticipation of the GTX 295 etc. Still great news for gamers with rez up to 1080p, who dont mind a bit of foldin'

lolz, good ole interwebs.. Windows 7 beta leaked Due in January to the public, already possessed by handsome beta testers since over a week ago... ps - it wasnt me!

Not a huge surprise, Tech(and other) sales down this holiday season I hope this means price crashes, as opposed to companies folding Ive felt this myself, I havent done a customary ebay impulse tech buy for months...

AMD Phenom II 3Ghz on sale, sorta The ?dealbreaker CPU for AMD has begun appearing in scattered places for purchase at $304ish. Was due for official release on Dec 27, though I havent seen it on newegg or fleabay yet...

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #463
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Since Windows 7 officially launches beta this week should we start a Windows 7 discussion thread? I think I may give it a whirl in a month or so and want to know how others are faring.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #464
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Since Windows 7 officially launches beta this week should we start a Windows 7 discussion thread? I think I may give it a whirl in a month or so and want to know how others are faring.
We'll just leave it in here Char. Most people here arent even using Vista yet Besides, there are far too many stickies

W7 Public beta is now available officially from MS Technet, though reports are the nerdgasmic onslaught to check it out are repeatedly crashing MS servers

I believe they are limiting these 'official' releases(and product keys) to 2.5 million, so get in quick, or otherwise track it down from usual non official sources.

Ive been beta testing for htpc functionality since pre-beta and am down for DX testing later. For general stuff though, I dont think the average user will notice much of difference from vista in this public beta. A lot of cynical(and possibly correct) types are saying W7 is 'vista how it should have been'

Contrary to what others around the interwebs(including MS sources) have intermittently stated, W7 does not sport a spankin new kernel, just a tweaked, revised 6.0(now 6.1) Which makes me wonder why they call it W7

In other news, the GTX 285 and 295 were officially released today. Ok nvidia, hurry up with the GTX300 already :P

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #465
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Ive been beta testing for htpc functionality since pre-beta and am down for DX testing later. For general stuff though, I dont think the average user will notice much of difference from vista in this public beta. A lot of cynical(and possibly correct) types are saying W7 is 'vista how it should have been'
I've been thinking about putting together an HTPC but figured I would wait for Windows 7 Media Center Edition.
I think I'll buy another hard drive and install Windows 7 64-bit beta as a dual-boot on my existing PC. I'll have to see how my Pentium 4 runs it. I'm kind of surprised that Windows 7 will still have a 32-bit version but maybe native 32-bit support will stop with Windows 8.

Quote:
Contrary to what others around the interwebs(including MS sources) have intermittently stated, W7 does not sport a spankin new kernel, just a tweaked, revised 6.0(now 6.1) Which makes me wonder why they call it W7
Is this where I say lolz? And was that a rhetorical question? Sounds like Windows 7 is shaping up to be like Windows XP was to Windows 2000.

Quote:
In other news, the GTX 285 and 295 were officially released today. Ok nvidia, hurry up with the GTX300 already :P
2009 Q4 maybe? I definitely won't upgrade my 9800 GTX+ until the next generation of GPU's is released. The process shrink to 55 nm is great and all but that is why I waited for the 9800 GTX+ (which should have been called a 9850 or 9900 GTX ) so I'm going to wait and see what the next generation has to offer in terms of performance/power consumption. Will AMD go with 45 nm process on their next GPU version? Will NVIDIA go with TSMC's 40 nm process for theirs? Not sure so I guess by the end of this year we'll have a better idea of what to expect.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #466
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

I must admit, post build 7000, W7 whilst still looking like vista, is running very smoothly. Its good that theyve finally included the mpeg4/avi codecs as standard. (Ive just got 7016 t'other day) Im not sure W7 will have a specific "media center edition" more likely to be integrated into a "premium" and "ultimate" version like was the case in Vista. In any event, some great steps forward - vista mc is pretty darn good/very stable, and w7 has built on that. Of course, there are always people who arent happy, but some things people want are simply unrealistic.. Still, they have addressed many bugbears and gripes that existed(for some) from previous versions.

people here may also be interested to know that Build 7000 has DX11 deployed. Its DX10/9 compatibility is so far ok

btw Char - see folding miniforum for special offer re those wanting to try the beta

Im pretty sure I read(and reported) earlier that GTX300 was due at end of Q1(march-april-ish). Nvidia wants to get its top dog title back surely

Finally, the phenom IIs have hit the streets, reviews abound, heres is G3Ds for starters. Not an i7 killer by any means, but still quite competetive, well priced and low power consuming option.. that can be deploed on existing DDR2 boards = win for consumers, and good step forward for AMD

mtbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #467
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Ooops. I guess I missed that post about the GT 300. After some further research I see word on the web is as you said, 2009 Q1. Also sounds like GT 300 will be 55 nm.

Is it me or does NVIDIA seem to be roughly employing the same tick-tock development strategy that Intel is using in their chip development?

Old 01-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #468
Q
The one who knocks

Well, from I've been reading, If you already own a Core2 platform there would be no reason to switch to a Phenom II. That having been said, It's definitely a great upgrade for those who have socket AM2+ systems and have been waiting patiently for AMD to come up with something better than Phenom I. Just hold out for the inevitable price drops before buying one.

-Toker
Old 01-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #469
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
yeah, that would be a great upgrade for me. problem is that its too much money at the moment. guess i'll still be waiting some more yet.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #470
Q
The one who knocks

It shouldn't be too long of a wait. If AMD wants people to consider PII when buying or building a new system, they're going to have to come down on price to match Intel's price cuts.

And since you're an overclocker, it should be an especially good upgrade for you from what I've been reading about it. Almost but not quite as overclockable as C2Q, and capable of far higher clockspeeds than PI or any AMD CPU before it. It's basically what PI should've been but wasn't.

-Toker
Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #471
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

I havent been as omipresent as previous, due to W7 testing, but here's something Ive been keeping an eye on:

GTX 285 reviewed

Basically, the GTX 280 gone 55nm. Still the fastest single GPU you can get, until the GTX 300 comes around I guess? Price $399 USD Performance a slight nudge ahead of the 280. G3D also puts it through tri-sli, but with results that bely the cost of such a venture

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #472
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

All well and good but if the GT 300 is supposed to be out by the end of March I think I'll just wait for that. Besides, my upgrade plans don't call for a new graphics card until 2010 anyway.

Anybody heard what AMD is doing for their next itineration of graphics cards?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:01 AM   #473
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Anybody heard what AMD is doing for their next itineration of graphics cards?
what they usually do... stick together 2 mid end cards, plonk GDDR5 on it and destroy the planet with heat and power consumption...

of course Im being(a bit) sarcastic - but I hope AMD can instead come up with a powerful single GPU solution instead.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #474
Q
The one who knocks

Those who've shunned ATI in the past for the lack of a first-class board partner no longer have an excuse.

Ladies and gentlemen, I now present the new XFX Radeon lineup, featuring their famous "double lifetime" warranty.

Yet another positive result of ATI's resurgence.

-Toker
Old 01-16-2009, 11:29 PM   #475
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

whilst XFX making Radeons is definitely = win, I wouldn't count AMD's resurgence as huge yet, closer to an exercise in damage limitation:

AMD Cuts another 1100 jobs, reduces salaries
though it's only exec salaries affected at this stage, so no huge tears from us there

Imposed job cuts are one of the main reasons I try avoid intel products. AMD has only cut about 10-15% of what Intel has over the last 5 years, but it still ain't good - especially when you look at the proportion of cuts as a pecentage of overall employees

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #476
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Here's something a few of you may find interesting. Ive been creeping around windows7 registry, which is the best place to find out what NEW stuff has been put in.

Looks like MS is putting some solid work into backwards compatibility for legacy titles, in particular those using particular legacy engines and older directplay versions. What the extent of this compatibility work is Im not sure, but its good to see they are thinking of some of those huge global communities that exist around games like starcraft etc. As the image shows, its a step forward from Vista

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #477
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Kind of old news but nobody posted it so...

Qimonda files for insolvency in Germany. Will they be able to recover? Astro surely can't be pleased with this development. I'm wondering if I should buy RAM soon, before prices start to go up.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #478
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Kind of old news but nobody posted it so...

Qimonda files for insolvency in Germany. Will they be able to recover? Astro surely can't be pleased with this development. I'm wondering if I should buy RAM soon, before prices start to go up.
It was on the cards... even with the GDDR5 success in AMD GPUs, things weren't looking good for Qimonda last year.

Of course, what it boils down to is job cuts and other DRAM manufacturers like samsung muscling in.

Speaking of Samsung and DRAM....

Samsungs 4gb chip promises 32gbddr3 memory modules for pcs and laptops

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #479
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Small form factor fans the world wide are collectively drooling at the prospect of the nvidia ION platform...

The nvidia Ion, an atom 333 based platform with featuring the 9400 chipset was floated about at CES but some reviewers have now had the chance to give it a proper going over..

Here's a great write up at PC Perspective

hdmi, dual link DVI supporting 1600p, esata and optical audio -- all in within a neat little box. Yum

some specs and pics

Some pics:

Ion next to an ATX board

Expected to be released later this year... nothing solid on price though

*continues drooling*

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 02-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #480
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

You must be thinking HTPC, right?

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Tech News and Gossip thread...