lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Senator Stabnow (D) Mich is Pushing for "Fairness Doctrine"
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #41
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
Why not? They only need us for our sperm.
Naw, they'll eventually find a way to synthesize it. Then we're screwed.

You might find some solace, however, to know that since there will be no more men, sexual attraction will be only between females. Imagination runs wild with the mention of any erotic scenarios.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #42
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
Its hilarious how the patriot act, etc all pass under you radar, but now that the democrats are in charge you are all up in arms about every tiny detail.
Really? Well, then I beg to differ. Since its inception I was saying it needed thorough inspection to be sure it didn't tramp individual rights permanently. Funny how I got ignored by *both* sides.

Quote:
Admit it, you're just sore because you are on the other side of the board after 8 years.
The way I see it I am always on the outside, and happy for it. Frankly I wasn't excited about bush, and I doubt I will be excited about any president from here on. So if I rag on any one, be mindful that president is not the only one--every president gets the same treatment. I grind them all to dust regardless.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #43
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Really? Well, then I beg to differ. Since its inception I was saying it needed thorough inspection to be sure it didn't tramp individual rights permanently. Funny how I got ignored by *both* sides.

The way I see it I am always on the outside, and happy for it. Frankly I wasn't excited about bush, and I doubt I will be excited about any president from here on. So if I rag on any one, be mindful that president is not the only one--every president gets the same treatment. I grind them all to dust regardless.
You... you aren't Garfield.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #44
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
You... you aren't Garfield.
Not for me? Oh. nevermind I guess

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #45
GarfieldJL
Banned

Quote:
Its hilarious how the patriot act, etc all pass under you radar, but now that the democrats are in charge you are all up in arms about every tiny detail.
The Patriot Act didn't stifle free speech like the "Fairness" Doctrine would, and I imagine you already knew that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
Admit it, you're just sore because you are on the other side of the board after 8 years. Take this time to learn some empathy, as you are now in the same position that democrats were with Bush. Better yet, try being more bipartisan and you wont feel like you are being overwhelmed so much (And no, you are not bipartisan by any single definition of the word).
Any other berating comments? Seriously, Obama's been proven to lie about everything else thus far, including his promise of transparency, promise of no lobbyists, promise of ethical people in cabinet positions (most of them have tax problems).

Quote:
But if you are going to keep this up, you may as well go all the way and admit that you think half of the country is literally out to get you. The left is turning you communist, the ACLU is trying to turn you godless, and feminists are going to cage you up for being male.
That would actually be more believable than your conspiracy theory that Bush was out to take over the world.

Quote:
You may hate the left, but you are far right. Extremists are the reason extremists exist on the other side. If you want to get rid of the far left, then stop being far right. You do yourself, your party, and your opinions no good by being so far on one side of the spectrum that you downright refuse to acknowledge them as fellow human beings.
I don't hate the left, the far left is downright scary though, and that is what most Democrats in the House, Senate, and Presidency are. I honestly would rather have Hillary Clinton as President of the United States, because I feel she is more to the political center than Obama.

Quote:
Or you can ignore me again and prove me right.
How about you stop trying to insult me repeatedly, and maybe I'd respond to your posts more often.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #46
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
That would actually be more believable than your conspiracy theory that Bush was out to take over the world.
yes avery what's with your conspiracy theory about bush taking over the world dont be crazy you sillybuns

garfield i admire you for giving such a well cited and reasoned response

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Old 02-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #47
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
The Patriot Act didn't stifle free speech like the "Fairness" Doctrine would, and I imagine you already knew that.
Nice try:
Freedom from unreasonable searches: The government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.

Right to a speedy and public trial: The government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

Freedom of association: To assist terror investigation, the government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity.

Right to legal representation: The government may monitor conversations between attorneys and clients in federal prisons and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

Freedom of speech: The government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.

Right to liberty: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them. US citizens (labeled "unlawful combatants") have been held incommunicado and refused attorneys.

So, how are you going to skew that to be a liberal lie bent on helping terrorists?

Quote:
Any other berating comments? Seriously, Obama's been proven to lie about everything else thus far, including his promise of transparency, promise of no lobbyists, promise of ethical people in cabinet positions (most of them have tax problems).
Nice try, but I don't recall that politicians are great people in the first place. I did not say Obama was amazing. I said that a lot of this liberal and left smearing you've been doing for awhile now is because you are ticked off now that you are on the other side of the score board, as you have thus far left the right alone in your many smear threads.

McCain was hardly much better as far as his affiliations and lies went, but I believe I already presented those facts to you and you brushed them off.

Quote:
When did I say he wanted to take over the world?

Good job pulling something out of thin air.

Quote:
I don't hate the left, the far left is downright scary though, and that is what most Democrats in the House, Senate, and Presidency are. I honestly would rather have Hillary Clinton as President of the United States, because I feel she is more to the political center than Obama.
So, you hate the far left as a far right? You didn't answer my point that extremes are dangerous for both sides.

Were the far right in charge any better? "Of course they were."

Your intentions to rule out extremes and deceit is admirable, but you've decided to only focus on one side of this many sided system.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #48
GarfieldJL
Banned

Quote:
Nice try:
Freedom from unreasonable searches: The government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.
Show me where in the article that is, and when that was actually used? Seriously, though the Patriot Act was just after we were attacked...

Quote:
Right to a speedy and public trial: The government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.
Key Word: Americans, I don't think a terrorist born in Saudi Arabia or Yemen, caught in Afghanistan is a citizen of the United States of America.

Again where are US Citizens being held? Provide a legitimate source.

Quote:
Freedom of association: To assist terror investigation, the government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity.
You left part out, because we did catch a few charities and religious groups funnelling money to Al Qaeda deliberately. However it wasn't without probable cause.

Quote:
Right to legal representation: The government may monitor conversations between attorneys and clients in federal prisons and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.
Again, you're saying that the people at Gitmo are US citizens when they aren't, they were captured in other parts of the world in many cases on the battlefield.

Quote:
Freedom of speech: The government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.
You can get in trouble anyways for blabbing about an investigation during a criminal case if the Judge doesn't want stuff released to the press. Furthermore, some of the stuff was classified information. You are only taking part of the story and distorting it.

Quote:
Right to liberty: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them. US citizens (labeled "unlawful combatants") have been held incommunicado and refused attorneys.
Technically they could have been shot as spies, but seriously why haven't I seen this blabbed all over the media if true. If someone got caught in Afghanistan, it is beyond a reasonable doubt that they weren't there to work on their tan.

Quote:
So, how are you going to skew that to be a liberal lie bent on helping terrorists?
At least when I talk about a conspiracy I provide evidence to back myself up, you have yet to provide one valid source.

Quote:
Nice try, but I don't recall that politicians are great people in the first place. I did not say Obama was amazing. I said that a lot of this liberal and left smearing you've been doing for awhile now is because you are ticked off now that you are on the other side of the score board, as you have thus far left the right alone in your many smear threads.
For the record, I had my disagreements with President Bush. You however, apparently don't know what the word 'smear' means, because I actually posted stuff to back up what I was saying and provided evidence. I have not falsified information, therefore I haven't smeared anyone.

Quote:
McCain was hardly much better as far as his affiliations and lies went, but I believe I already presented those facts to you and you brushed them off.
And you used sources that got caught at deliberately lieing and distorting the facts concerning Senator McCain, even after I pointed that fact out, you continued to do so, I could argue you were deliberately smearing him.

Quote:
When did I say he wanted to take over the world?
I believe it was either you, Achilles, or jmac, or PastramiX. I'm going off of memory and as I remember it was you that came up with that nutty conspiracy, but if I'm wrong please point out who did so I can redirect my statement.

Quote:
Good job pulling something out of thin air.

Quote:
So, you hate the far left as a far right? You didn't answer my point that extremes are dangerous for both sides.
That may be, but I'm not on the far right unless you think Pelosi is on the political center and if you believe that I've got some land on Jupiter to sell you.

Quote:
Were the far right in charge any better? "Of course they were."
Bush wasn't on the far right, Ann Coulter is on the far right and she is typically not taken seriously.

Quote:
Your intentions to rule out extremes and deceit is admirable, but you've decided to only focus on one side of this many sided system.
Actually, one side is already not being represented much, as Mr. Limbaugh has pointed out himself, he is an entertainer not a news anchor. That is a big difference to news anchors swooning over Barack Obama and in some cases wanting to go to bed with him.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #49
jrrtoken

Quote:
Show me where in the article that is, and when that was actually used? Seriously, though the Patriot Act was just after we were attacked...
That's why it's so bad; it allowed the government to take as much power as needed. Hence why they created the Department of Homeland Security, yet another agency to watch over the public, as if we didn't have enough. In a time or national emergency, order becomes disrupted, allowing for anyone to take control; it has been done in the past, it will be done again.
Quote:
At least when I talk about a conspiracy I provide evidence to back myself up, you have yet to provide one valid source.
Do conservative blogs count?
Quote:
For the record, I had my disagreements with President Bush. You however, apparently don't know what the word 'smear' means, because I actually posted stuff to back up what I was saying and provided evidence. I have not falsified information, therefore I haven't smeared anyone.
And you're the one who likes to poke at every little association of Mr. Obama, so you're equally guilty of smearing him.
Quote:
I believe it was either you, Achilles, or jmac, or PastramiX. I'm going off of memory and as I remember it was you that came up with that nutty conspiracy, but if I'm wrong please point out who did so I can redirect my statement.
Bush? He lacks the cunning. The mastermind would be Cheney.

Either way, you're paranoid about a liberal president destroying America.
Quote:
That may be, but I'm not on the far right unless you think Pelosi is on the political center and if you believe that I've got some land on Jupiter to sell you.
...so you're still on the far right.
Quote:
Actually, one side is already not being represented much, as Mr. Limbaugh has pointed out himself, he is an entertainer not a news anchor. That is a big difference to news anchors swooning over Barack Obama and in some cases wanting to go to bed with him.
...and yet others wish to lynch him.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #50
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
well then, since it was right after we were attacked, case closed, i guess we don't need to worry especially when there's this facist fairness thing coming down the line i mean only the president of the united states opposes it if you don't count anybody else who disagrees with it that should be our #1 priority not warrantless searches and wiretapping and the government being able to monitor almost everything you do

Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #51
GarfieldJL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
That's why it's so bad; it allowed the government to take as much power as needed. Hence why they created the Department of Homeland Security, yet another agency to watch over the public, as if we didn't have enough. In a time or national emergency, order becomes disrupted, allowing for anyone to take control; it has been done in the past, it will be done again.
That isn't going to fly because Bush would still be in power if that was the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX
Do conservative blogs count?
When they provide sources, and the sources corroborate what they say, and the source is legit and/or on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Quote:
And you're the one who likes to poke at every little association of Mr. Obama, so you're equally guilty of smearing him.
I haven't even scratched the surface on Obama's associations, and that's the scary thing. I do view some associations as being offlimits, I'm not out on a witchhunt.

Quote:
Bush? He lacks the cunning. The mastermind would be Cheney.
Again, that doesn't fly because they didn't take over the country.

Quote:
Either way, you're paranoid about a liberal president destroying America.
...so you're still on the far right.
I'm actually not being paranoid, did you hear about his Chief of Staff having tax troubles too? Excuse me but that's how many people that got by his vetting process? Either he's an incompetitent idiot or it's a pattern.

Quote:
...and yet others wish to lynch him.
That's them, I'm actually hoping that I'm wrong, but everything I've found thus far indicates that I'm right, as does his actions thus far.

Quote:
well then, since it was right after we were attacked, case closed, i guess we don't need to worry especially when there's this facist fairness thing coming down the line i mean only the president of the united states opposes it if you don't count anybody else who disagrees with it that should be our #1 priority not warrantless searches and wiretapping and the government being able to monitor almost everything you do
If that were the case, you'd be in jail by now as would half the Mainstream Media.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #52
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
f that were the case, you'd be in jail by now as would half the Mainstream Media.
well i dont know if i can refute such flawless logic

http://action.aclu.org/reformthepatriotact/215.html
http://www.aclu.org/safefree/general...g20030320.html
http://www.aclu.org/safefree/general...s20040415.html
http://www.aclu.org/safefree/general...s20040415.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PAT...ct#Controversy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PAT...ct_controversy
http://feingold.senate.gov/issues_patriot.html
http://www.lib.washington.edu/Suzref/patriot-act/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Sep29.html

Last edited by Det. Bart Lasiter; 02-18-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: proving you wronger
Old 02-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #53
GarfieldJL
Banned

Couldn't care less what the ACLU claims if they're your star-witness your case is in serious trouble.

Haven't you said before that Wikipedia isn't a good source when it comes to contraversial issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
Here is a source to sit down and read but it is only talking hypotheticals, not giving instances of abuse.

Quote:
Uh if you look at the source's title it sounds more like a left-wing blog site than a University.

Quote:
Okay this article is kind of legit, but it missed the point, we're talking about two seperate issues, stiffling political opposition and trying to keep our sources of intelligence from being compromised.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #54
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Couldn't care less what the ACLU claims if they're your star-witness your case is in serious trouble.
welp, guess you can just ignore it outright. but wait, two of the aclu articles i linked to are collections of excerpts from conservatives and regardless of your preconceptions of the aclu their opinion is just as legitimate as anyone else's on this matter.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Old 02-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #55
GarfieldJL
Banned

Quote:
welp, guess you can just ignore it outright. but wait, two of the aclu articles i linked to are collections of excerpts from conservatives and regardless of your preconceptions of the aclu their opinion is just as legitimate as anyone else's on this matter.
Then why did you just post the ACLU articles, link to their sources and post those?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:55 PM   #56
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Then why did you just post the ACLU articles, link to their sources and post those?
To prove that you are more than ready to push someone else's opinions and facts aside due to your own skewed preconceptions, opting for only right sided conservative blogs over any other source that doesn't fit your world view.

Congrats on proving us right.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #57
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
To prove that you are more than ready to push someone else's opinions and facts aside due to your own skewed preconceptions, opting for only right sided conservative blogs over any other source that doesn't fit your world view.

Congrats on proving us right.
this plus i was too lazy to link each individual one.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #58
GarfieldJL
Banned

Quote:
so you're saying you believe that because the national enquirer said they're more credible than the nyt. thanks. that's really all i needed to hear.
No, I said that they had a higher standard of sourcing than the New York Times did especially concerning running page one stories about political figures. At least their story about John Edward's was accurate unlike the New York Times hitpiece on John McCain.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #59
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
and you're backing that up with a statement from the national enquirer.

gg

Old 02-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #60
GarfieldJL
Banned

Quote:
and you're backing that up with a statement from the national enquirer.
jmac, I'm not saying the Enquirer is a credible source, I'm saying the New York Times when it is concerning Republicans is even less credible than the the Enquirer.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #61
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
yes. i get that. i can read. i'm saying a guy from the national enquirer saying the same thing isn't confirmation of that.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #62
GarfieldJL
Banned

Quote:
yes. i get that. i can read. i'm saying a guy from the national enquirer saying the same thing isn't confirmation of that.
jmac, when you have two sources that have a grudge against someone because they were fired by that person because they were doing unethical behavior, would you consider those people to be valid sources when they hold a grudge against someone. And these two individuals were the only sources for the New York Times article.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Senator Stabnow (D) Mich is Pushing for "Fairness Doctrine"