lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Strange Pop-Up Ad?
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Yar-El
Banned

Current Game: The Witcher
Strange Pop-Up Ad?

Strange Pop-Up Ad?
Each time a page loads, I get a pop-up advertising. Its asking me to log onto something. Help!

Yar.
Yar-El is offline   you may:
Old 03-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El View Post
Strange Pop-Up Ad?
Each time a page loads, I get a pop-up advertising. Its asking me to log onto something. Help!
Hmm, haven't seen that. What site is the popup for? Have you clicked on any of the ad banners here or it's just popping up on its own? Have you scanned your computer for ad/malware recently?

Sometimes inappropriate or exceptionally irritating ads do get added to the rotation by the ad providers, but they usually get removed when requested.

stoffe is offline   you may:
Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Yar-El
Banned

Its a Twitter login. My boss had me rebuild the whole system. We are running a security check on all servers now. It looks similar to a phishing scam, but we are making sure no one has broken through the firewall.

Edit --
Its some sort of Twitter API. I don't have a Twitter account, so I don't understand why this is happening.

Quote:
The server twitter.com at Twitter API requires a username and password.

Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection)
Edit --
The problem seemed to have gone away. Thank you.

Last edited by Yar-El; 03-13-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
matt--
Network Un-exploder

LFN Staff Member Notable contributor 
Quote:
Its a Twitter login. My boss had me rebuild the whole system. We are running a security check on all servers now. It looks similar to a phishing scam, but we are making sure no one has broken through the firewall.

Edit --
Its some sort of Twitter API. I don't have a Twitter account, so I don't understand why this is happening.
I was testing some twitter api integration. The code should have been transparent to users. I think I found what I was looking for though and have removed the code for the time being.

Also, you work in an office? I thought you were an author? And your boss lets you view gaming forums at work? Incredible deal.

LFNetwork and LucasForums.com
matt at lfnetwork dot com
matt-- is offline   you may:
Old 03-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Yar-El
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-- View Post
I was testing some twitter api integration. The code should have been transparent to users. I think I found what I was looking for though and have removed the code for the time being.

Also, you work in an office? I thought you were an author? And your boss lets you view gaming forums at work? Incredible deal.
No. I work for a government contractor. My author work was only a quick hobby. I have two actual jobs. One full-time and one part-time. We get to do alot of neat little things.

Someone just went through the office on a scooter.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
matt--
Network Un-exploder

Quote:
No. I work for a government contractor. My author work was only a quick hobby. I have two actual jobs. One full-time and one part-time. We get to do alot of neat little things.

Someone just went through the office on a scooter.
Oh, ok. You're posting from a residential ISP so I thought you might just be pulling our chains.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Oh, ok. You're posting from a residential ISP so I thought you might just be pulling our chains.
Moral of the story: Never screw with a sysadmin

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may:
Old 03-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
TSR
Hoist the colours!

Current Game: Rift
Forum Veteran LF Jester Helpful! 
Quote:
Words cannot describe just how brilliant this is.

British By Birth. English By The Grace Of God

Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori
Let Mercy Come
TSR is offline   you may:
Old 03-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Yar-El
Banned

Quote:
Thats what I get for having a rotating IP. Perks from working with the bigger fish. Jealous?

Edit --
I did a online check of my ip, and those maps and locations are way - way off. They do pick up the service we are using, but most of the information is false. Depending on which online site you use, it shows my ip coming for four different locations. Two locations are in one state, and the other two are scattered around the US.

It doesn't mater if you believe me or not. What is important is that the company I work for is doing their job. I'm still safe from you.

Last edited by Yar-El; 03-13-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El
I'm still safe from you.
What in God's green earth do you think we're planning on doing to you, and why would we even _want_ to?

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 03-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
TSR
Hoist the colours!

Well Jae, it's obvious you sneaky star wars forum administrators want to overthrow the government in a bid at universal domination, starting with all major imaginary corporations.

Silly, silly Jae. You have been foiled.

And I think it's hilarious that Yar-el seems to know all this technical jargon and super-duper computer stuff, but can't get rid of a pop-up. Juice by you.

Let Mercy Come
Old 03-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #12
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
See, that's why I'm an s-mod and not an admin.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Old 03-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
EnderWiggin

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
I'm still safe from you.
That's what you think

_EW_

Yes, I hate you.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Thats what I get for having a rotating IP. Perks from working with the bigger fish. Jealous?

Edit --
I did a online check of my ip, and those maps and locations are way - way off. They do pick up the service we are using, but most of the information is false. Depending on which online site you use, it shows my ip coming for four different locations. Two locations are in one state, and the other two are scattered around the US.

It doesn't mater if you believe me or not. What is important is that the company I work for is doing their job. I'm still safe from you.
One of my vocations in life, is as an IT technition, and the above ignores the following as I understand it... Though matt-- and Stoffe are far more familiar with such things than me.

IP address allocation is performed by IANA (The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority). IANA then gives authority to RIRs (Regional Internet Registries). Then RIRs will also pass on responsibility, depending on their own particular regional policies, and tend to set blocks of IP addresses to their customers, which include Internet Service Providers (ISPs).

Each of the RIRs handles a specific geographic area:

The most used are; ARIN (North America)
and RIPE (Europe, Middle East, Central Asia).

So if you lookup an IP address; the different regional authorities allow lookups to be to that data. The varying ISP's generally block their blocks of IP addresses by region. The lookup will give the name and address of the organization the block of IP addresses are given too. The ISP's can re-name these blocks if they wish to do so. The naming will often be after a particular geographic place, for example, Lon-UK, aka London, United Kingdom.

As such while IP checks can be off, I have never found them to ever vary so much as giving lots of different locations, they definatly don't get the wrong country or state, More-over I don't see how an ISP check could reveal a 'false' result.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may:
Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #15
matt--
Network Un-exploder

Quote:
I'm sorry, are you referring to a dynamic ip address? That's a trait of residential ISPs. Most medium to big sized fish have static ips.

Quote:
Edit --
That's weird. Every IP your account has ever posted with (129 IPs) has come from the same residential ISP, and in every instance where regional data was available (all but 13 IPs), it came from the same region/city. I guess all your jobs have the same provider.

Quote:
Ok, but I never threatened you. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #16
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
I'm still safe from you.
Ohohoho, no.

Your military tactics on Dxun are well known. Rumors of your disappearance have become exaggerated I see... Something dark is nearby!

Control, this is the Dark Apprentice. Aldiborontiphoscophornio rearrived from North Armorica and the scraggy isthmus. Condition riverrun. Activate Project Nemesis. I repeat, activate Project Nemesis. Macleod and out.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may:
Old 03-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #17
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
One of my vocations in life, is as an IT technition, and the above ignores the following as I understand it... Though matt-- and Stoffe are far more familiar with such things than me.

IP address allocation is performed by IANA (The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority). IANA then gives authority to RIRs (Regional Internet Registries). Then RIRs will also pass on responsibility, depending on their own particular regional policies, and tend to set blocks of IP addresses to their customers, which include Internet Service Providers (ISPs).

Each of the RIRs handles a specific geographic area:

The most used are; ARIN (North America)
and RIPE (Europe, Middle East, Central Asia).

So if you lookup an IP address; the different regional authorities allow lookups to be to that data. The varying ISP's generally block their blocks of IP addresses by region. The lookup will give the name and address of the organization the block of IP addresses are given too. The ISP's can re-name these blocks if they wish to do so. The naming will often be after a particular geographic place, for example, Lon-UK, aka London, United Kingdom.

As such while IP checks can be off, I have never found them to ever vary so much as giving lots of different locations, they definatly don't get the wrong country or state, More-over I don't see how an ISP check could reveal a 'false' result.
I'm sorry j7, but I think I'm going to need to ask you to Source all that information. I mean, you could very well be making all that stuff up. Next you'll be telling us you wrote a book eight years ago on the symbolism of this stuff. But without giving us a Source, I don't think we can believe you. Having a verified and vetted Source is everything today, especially on the Internet.

Or, you could be just fooling us. Lol... Lol... Lol...

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may:
Old 03-14-2009, 03:09 AM   #18
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
^^^^

@

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may:
Old 03-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #19
TSR
Hoist the colours!

More heat?

Let Mercy Come
Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #20
Yar-El
Banned

Mat-- is the one who tried to pull off a phishing scheme to steal your screen names and passwords. I'm calling it as I see it. I wonder what hes going to do with that information. Who says I should trust him. He is the one exploiting people, and allowing them to use double standards - thus, alienating groups of individuals. He is the one who is stealing private information. Not me.

I have nothing to loose from this, nor do I have anything to gain. He does.

He is a complete stranger to me. Why should I trust him?
Old 03-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #21
Jae Onasi

He's a sysadmin. He has access to every single screen name on the boards here (everyone here does via the 'search for users' function). He can get into any account at any time, just like I can access any account on my family forum because I'm sysadmin for that forum.

The owners own this forum--nothing on it is yours or mine. They can do whatever they want, whenever they want. I'm not sure what you're complaining about since you knew this when you agreed to the TOS.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #22
Yar-El
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
He's a sysadmin. He has access to every single screen name on the boards here (everyone here does via the 'search for users' function). He can get into any account at any time, just like I can access any account on my family forum because I'm sysadmin for that forum.

The owners own this forum--nothing on it is yours or mine. They can do whatever they want, whenever they want. I'm not sure what you're complaining about since you knew this when you agreed to the TOS.
Read the top if this thread, and start working your way down. He is try to grab your Twitter screen names and passwords. Why?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #23
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Read the top if this thread, and start working your way down. He is try to grab your Twitter screen names and passwords. Why?
Or you could just be someone who suffers from Paranoia and is trying to deflect attention from the fact that you've been caught out with regards your rather silly statements about IP addresses (and fictitious ways in which they work).

I leave others who read this thread to draw their own conclusions.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may:
Old 03-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #24
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Mat-- is the one who tried to pull off a phishing scheme to steal your screen names and passwords. I'm calling it as I see it. I wonder what hes going to do with that information. Who says I should trust him. He is the one exploiting people, and allowing them to use double standards - thus, alienating groups of individuals. He is the one who is stealing private information. Not me.
That's a very serious accusation to be making, some actual, solid proof would be greatly appreciated, especially when i've never encountered any pop-ups or phishing scams from LF.

Quote:
I have nothing to loose from this, nor do I have anything to gain.
Attention, maybe?

Astor is offline   you may:
Old 03-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #25
TSR
Hoist the colours!

I'd let matt-- access my account any day.

Let Mercy Come
Old 03-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #26
Jae Onasi

Quote:
You could take a little responsiblity yourself and make it clear that you meant twitter screen names and not LF screen names. I can't read your mind to know what you're really meaning when you don't specify.

Twitter uses a secure login page, so I have no idea how anyone could steal your password or even your screen name from the Lucasforums site.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #27
matt--
Network Un-exploder

Quote:

I have nothing to loose from this, nor do I have anything to gain. He does.

He is a complete stranger to me. Why should I trust him?
Perhaps because I was trying to link one particular user to one particular twitter account based on motive and a penchant for irrational behavior? The api call I used would have just confirm that a certain LF member owned a certain twitter that was using our Lucasforums brand with a reasonable belief of mal-intent. Even though the api call failed (and gave you a pop-up), your own panic outed you.

By the way, if any one comes across http://twitter.com/Lucasforums, it is Yar-El's platform for fraud, and I will follow up with twitter support to get the account suspended. Depending on what is posted there, I leave open the possibility of contacting further authorities.

Yar-El, so long, and thanks for all the lols.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #28
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
By the way, if any one comes across http://twitter.com/Lucasforums, it is Yar-El's platform for fraud, and I will follow up with twitter support to get the account suspended. Depending on what is posted there, I leave open the possibility of contacting further authorities.
A wise decision. How the hell can anyone sink so low?

Astor is offline   you may:
Old 03-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #29
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor Kaine View Post
A wise decision. How the hell can anyone sink so low?
With surprising ease, in my experience.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may:
Old 03-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #30
EnderWiggin

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
I'd let matt-- access my account any day.
Concur.

Quote:
Mat-- is the one who tried to pull off a phishing scheme to steal your screen names and passwords. I'm calling it as I see it.
I think you may need glasses, then

Quote:

Yar-El, so long, and thanks for all the lols.
Wait, so what was he doing with this? Trying to get people's LF passwords? Can someone with twitter access let us know what was happening?

Good riddance, and nice catch, matt--.

_EW_

Yes, I hate you.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #31
matt--
Network Un-exploder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
Wait, so what was he doing with this? Trying to get people's LF passwords? Can someone with twitter access let us know what was happening?
He wasn't trying to steal passwords that I know of...he just wants people to buy into his lies. He's already got a tweet up there about us closing.

At least he's a horrible liar.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #32
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
So what kind of scam was she pulling?

Canderis is offline   you may:
Old 03-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #33
matt--
Network Un-exploder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
There is no scam yet. The twitter was public until I started following it, then he blocked me and set it to protected until he knew that I knew. He may have thought that his having it would protect him, betting that he wouldn't do anything if we knew he had something we might want.

So far the only thing fraudulent posted there is that we are closing the community, which is retracted in the next tweet.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #34
matt--
Network Un-exploder

If anyone has any further information or comments related to this, please PM them to me directly.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #35
Jae Onasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
Hopefully a brief and entirely ineffective one.

Yar-El/Source, I am ashamed of you for doing this. You have told blatant lies about the entire organization and possibly tried to steal God only knows what information to try to get back at the few people you didn't like. An entirely new forum was created just to accommodate the complaints that you and your friends had, and we tried to work those out in good faith. I'm hurt that you betrayed Lucasforums, and I'm hurt that you have betrayed me with this dishonesty. I never want to speak to you again, either by email or by some contact with a sockpuppet account which I suspect you may try to make. I promise to the community that I will be vigilant in watching for any alternate accounts you might make so that no one else is hurt by you.

Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Forum Help & Feedback Center > Strange Pop-Up Ad?