lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Firefox Bookmarks Backup
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
SD Nihil

Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
Firefox Bookmarks Backup

How do you backup the bookmarks in Mozilla Firefox? Thanks

SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
How do you backup the bookmarks in Mozilla Firefox? Thanks
Pick "Manage Bookmarks" in the Bookmarks menu. In the window that opens there should be a dropdown menu at the top where you can import/export your bookmarks to an HTML file, as well as make a backup.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
STOP!

If you arent using it already..get your hands on the foxmarks extension!

It allows you to auto backup your bookmarks ONLINE, so as you flit from one pc to another, all your bookmarks are synced. Also great when you do a new pc setup, get all your bookmarks loaded in automatically.

I also use it in conjunction with firefox portable and have all my bookmarks with me when using on uni and work computers, who dont allow FF.

The add on is also now available for IE and safari.

Its free, all you need to do is create a login when you set it up

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
SD Nihil

Backup online? Do you mean as your online your able to have it automaticaly backup the bookmarks to a set location on your flash drive? Or backup to an online location on the internet? So as you add bookmarks it continuously backs up the new bookmark?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I use the Online Bookmarks extension for FF.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
Backup online? Do you mean as your online your able to have it automaticaly backup the bookmarks to a set location on your flash drive? Or backup to an online location on the internet? So as you add bookmarks it continuously backs up the new bookmark?
yup, it backs it up to an external server(the internet). Hence everytime you get online, it accesses them and you are up to date, whichever computer you are on.

Im not sure which extension Jae is referring to specifically, though foxmarks, startaid and box.net are the 3 main online boomarking add ons available in FF. As mentioned, foxmarks will also work with IE and safari, for those who use those browsers

For the usb bit, if you use FF portable, you can store FF on a usb key and get online using FF anywhere you go. If you load the foxmarks(etc) extension into it, it will access your uopdated bookmarks as soon as you are online, anywhere you go = nifty!

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
SD Nihil

Cool. So lets say I have different bookmarks on the two. Portable Firefox I have some, but on the unportable Firefox I have different bookmarks will the extension know to bring up that you wnat for the portable and the ones you wnat for the unportable? Meaning can it tell the difference between the portable and non portable firefox? Because if you have different bookmarks for the two will the extension know what to load for the one and what to load differntly for the other?

And when you go to download a new version of Firefox Portable will you have to re-install the extension, or is this an extension like KeyScrambler that installs directly to the computer you are running on, or does it only install as an extension to the browser you are using? I ask this to know if when FF Portable goes to say version 40 and I have to download the new portable and delete the old portable on my flash drive if I will have to re-load the extension.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Firefox Bookmarks Backup