lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-19-2009, 05:16 AM   #41
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
Have you tried maybe.....
Nihil, that post was made in January...! If he was stuck, he wouldve come back

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #42
SD Nihil

Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
Oops. Sorry. Just helping out. I'm glad he got it fixed. On the mirror to this there was another individual with crrashing issues and he had a NVIDA card. I suggested he use the NVIDA fixes. Hope he writes back and says SD I already have it fixed you untechnical bum. lol.

Great. I'm glad these two threads have been such a success to LF.

SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #43
hiddenfairy
Lurker

Hi. This is my first time here.
I can't play KOTOR (1) in my Vistax32 laptop: Toshiba Satellite L300D-12Y with ATI Radeon 3100...
Even in compatibility mode...
Can someone help me?
hiddenfairy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #44
SD Nihil

Prior to posting have you gone to the KOTOR section of LF and looked under the Troubleshooting sub forum and then clicked on the sub forum The Work Bench? Within that sub forum are a bunch of sticky threads. One of them I believe deals with KOTOR and laptops. If you haven't already I'd check that thread and the other stickys. It might help you.

If not Astro should be along soon to help ya.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #45
hiddenfairy
Lurker

I already tried msdll, swkotor.old, all compatibility modes... it's really sad...
Edit:
New Error: "Detected Emulator." Wtf?

Last edited by hiddenfairy; 03-23-2009 at 12:14 PM.
hiddenfairy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #46
SD Nihil

Astrotoy7 should be along soon. If not Q or another. Sorry your still having toruble. If they don't come here within a few days just PM them a link to the thread or get them to come here. Some of these guys are busy and need a little tap on the sholder. But they are helpful and friendly. Wish I could help you more though.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #47
Legendz
Lurker

I installed K1 about a week ago and i didnt have to change anything to get it to work, but now i just installed K2 and it wont let me start the game. Is this because i have vista?
Legendz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #48
SD Nihil

You didn't have to change anything. Meaning for both K1-2 you didn't apply the fix and th above compatability instructions? If you didn't try that. There's NVIDA fixes, and of course the Work Bench section of KOTOR has other helpful sticky threads. If that doesn't help Astro should be along. PM him if he doesn't come in a few days. He should come a running then.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #49
Legendz
Lurker

ok, im trying the fix right now and i cant find the mss32.dll in the root directory, should i just put the new one in?

Last edited by Legendz; 03-25-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #50
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendz View Post
ok, im trying the fix right now and i cant find the mss32.dll in the root directory, should i just put the new one in?
Very unusual! Do you have one in the K1 directory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenfairy
New Error: "Detected Emulator." Wtf?
This sounds like something to do with the securom errors some report, which happens with downloaded versions(legal or not), or those being mounted on virtual drives. Having a program like daemon tools or Alcohol installed(which messes with securom) can also give you emulator warnings.

There is some info on securom errors for KOTOR, but you would need to search elsewhere for that.

Good luck!

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #51
Legendz
Lurker

i uninstalled K1 before i installed K2 so im not sure if the file is there, should i just completly uninstall K2 and reinstall it and try again?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #52
Legendz
Lurker

is this what the file directory looks like?

[Display Options]
FullScreen=1
Disable Movies=0
Disable Intro Movies=0
Sort Modules=1
Width=640
Height=480
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60

[Sound Options]
Sound Init=1
Disable Sound=0
Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]
EnableHardwareMouse=1
FullScreen=1
AllowSoftShadows=1
RefreshRate=60
Width=800
Height=600
Emitters=1
Anisotropy=1
Frame Buffer=1
Soft Shadows=0
Brightness=57
V-Sync=0
Texture Quality=0
Anti Aliasing=0

[Game Options]
TooltipDelay Sec=
Disable Movies=0

[config]
firstrun=0
Old 03-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #53
SD Nihil

If you do reinstall I wouldn't just simply grab the dll fix. I'd do all the directions above. Even the parts where you install the game through compatibilty mode. Just all of it. I don't think it can hurt. Sorry if I misunderstood you, but it sounds like your just wanting to put in the dll fix and that's all. As for the NVIDA fixes I'd do them only if you still have problems. Its just smart to do one thing and check the results. Not do multiple things. If you do multiple things how will you know what action you took that made it worse. Just a smart way of troubleshooting a problem.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #54
Legendz
Lurker

ya i am just just trying put in the dll fix for now to see if i can get it to work but can you tell me if what i posted above is the file directory?

and to Astro, my apologies for bugging you i am just getting desperate
Old 03-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #55
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

What youve listed is part of a config file. The 'root directory' is simply the FOLDER KOTOR/2 is installed in

ie. from post #1
7. Once that file is downloaded, place it in your KotOR II's root file directory, eg: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2.

please re-read posts 1 and 2 of this thread. Qliveur also has links for securom fixes, which may address your emulation errors.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 03-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #56
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I've also provided a link to the DirectX Redistributable Package. I don't think that the importance of installing this in Vista has been stressed enough. As shipped, Vista does not include a full install of DX9.0c AFAIK. I believe that DX10's backward-compatibility with DX9 is less than stellar, and that this may be the source of some of the problems that KotOR has with it. The DirectX Redistributable Package will provide a full install of DX9.0c for Vista that is separate from DX10 and won't conflict with it.

I don't think that this was sufficiently addressed because updates of this type come as second nature to people like us (I won't speak for anyone else here, but yes, I'm a geek ), but they might not to others.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #57
Legendz
Lurker

thanks for the help guys i finally got it, haha i feel like an idiot, that was unbeleivably easy
Old 03-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #58
SD Nihil

So you need this Redistributable that you gave instead of just installing DX10?

Old 03-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #59
jrrtoken

It's recommended, as the redistributable includes libraries from earlier versions of DirectX that DX10 might not use. Basically, it's to patch up any compatibility issues that might arise.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2009, 06:00 PM   #60
SD Nihil

I see. So I download DX10 and then this Redistributable, correct? Sorry its a dumb question.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #61
jrrtoken

Nope, just the redistributable, I believe.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2009, 07:46 PM   #62
SD Nihil

You believe. So lets just say I installed the redistributable first and it didn't put in DX10. At that point would it work to then install DX10 or would I have to uninstall this redistributable and put in D10 and the redistiributable in that order?

Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 PM   #63
Q
The one who knocks

It installs/updates both DX9 and DX10 if you have Vista. If you have XP it will only install/update DX9. The redistributable that I linked to works for either OS.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 04-01-2009, 02:23 AM   #64
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Yep, the redist package(Mar 2009 being the latest) will update both DX10/DX9 in vista and only DX9 in xp(as Q mentioned). If you want to see what updates it contains, unpacking it(using winrar etc) will show the contents.

Windows 7(beta) has DX11(and some degree of backwards compatibility), but I havent gotten around to testing KOTOR in it yet

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 04-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #65
SD Nihil

I see. Just have DX10 and the Redistributable. Yes this is for Vista 64 Bit. Thanks. Yeah I don't get it though about this Windows 7. I mean Microsoft just came out with Vista. Why make another OS if there are still some that have not moved to Vista yet. Oh well. But wow DX11 is already out. DX11 doesn't work on Vista does it?

Also I'm not sure if that dll fix file is being hosted on filefront , but if it is being hosted on FF then someone needs to get that file hosted somewhere else so we don't lose it on this thread when FF goes down. Lets relocate the dll file if its hosted on FF before its too late.

Last edited by SD Nihil; 04-01-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #66
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil
Just have DX10 and the Redistributable.
You will only need to download and install the redistributable, regardless of your OS.

Vista came out 2 years ago. It will have been 3 years once Windows 7 is released. IIRC, DX11 will be made available for Vista.

-Toker
Old 04-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #67
SD Nihil

Oh i see. Because Vista contains already DX10 and XP already contains DX9 and that's why for the two you just download the Redistributable. So when will DX11 be available for Vista?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #68
Q
The one who knocks

I'm not sure, but probably around the same time that Windows7 is released, which will probably be sometime nest year(?). I think it's great. As least we don't have to worry about Vista becoming obsolete for gaming.

-Toker
Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #69
SD Nihil

So how do I tell then what DX version I have?

Old 05-16-2009, 03:33 AM   #70
peral
Lurker

NVIDIA Fix?

Okay...so I did the Mss32.dll thing and had the program crash on me. The "this operation has been aborted" thing. Then I read on and saw there was something about a fix especially for NVIDIA video cards? I think I may be blind, but where do I find this?
peral is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #71
Q
The one who knocks

Try opening "swkotor(2).ini with Notepad in your game's main folder. Under "Graphics Options" enter "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" without the quotes, save and exit.

-Toker
Old 05-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #72
Neocorteqz
Lurker

Is there any issues with save games being deleted with KOTOR II?

I go to play a saved game and it says that there are no saved games.

Running Vista Ultimate x64. With fixes in main post.
Neocorteqz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #73
Neocorteqz
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
So how do I tell then what DX version I have?
Click run in the start menu and type dxdiag. your version will be listed.
Neocorteqz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #74
Q
The one who knocks

I've heard of them being corrupted, but not deleted.

-Toker
Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #75
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I have two problems while trying to play this game on Vista:

The first one, is the sound problem. I've replaced the Mss32.dll a lot of times but nothing. Followed the instructions here, and nothing. I only can launch the game with the Sound Disabled.

The second problem is the game get's another "stop working" error after creating my character. When the opening crawl ends, I come back to the desktop automatically.

My System:

Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.86 Ghz
3Gb RAM
250Gb Hard Disk
Intel GMA X3100 Graphic Card

If anyone can help me, I will be very thankfull.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #76
Q
The one who knocks

Well, you're trying to play KotOR with an Intel GPU, which these games do not support. There's your problem right there.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, because others have managed to get it to work, but don't expect any miracles. You'll probably have to play at minimum resolution with all of the eye candy turned off, and I mean all of it. You'll also want to try what I suggested above in post #71.

Check out the Bioware and Obsidian boards as well for clues on how to get this to work.

-Toker
Old 06-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #77
Vaqx
Lurker

Hi, sorry to bump but I've been having KOTOR 2 problems and I found this thread on Google.

I startup KOTOR 2 and everything's okay at first. The Lucas Arts movie plays, the Obsidian movie plays, the KOTOR 2 screen shows, and then nothing. Where I should be selecting "Load game" and whatnot, there's just a black screen. There is still sound though. A few seconds later and I get a crash error prompting me to send an error report or not.

I believe the error code was 0xc0000005. I've tried fixes and nothing has worked so far.
I've looked almost everywhere, if nobody here can help I think I'm going to have to give up.

Note: My game was working fine the first time I played it. I managed to save and everything (kept backups of my saves) and now it's just not working.

EDIT: I tried updating it and it said "Old file not found" :/
Vaqx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #78
Revan's Will
Rookie

If anyone is having trouble getting to the main menu, i have a bizarre fix that works every time for me- in swkotor2.ini under Game Options, change CurSithLord=0/2, to CurSithLord=3, this makes Kreia show up instead of Nihilus or Sion, and I have no idea why this works, but it does on Xp AND vista. Maybe someone else who knows programming could explain it. FYI: I run on a XPS 410 Vista Home Premium with an Nvidia geforce 9600 gso card with the latest drivers, I had to reformat back to Vista from XP after formatting to XP a few months ago, but the fix worked there too. I don't think Vista is necessarily the source, it looks like its all about the graphics cards for me anyway.

Apathy Is Death.
Revan's Will is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #79
Vaqx
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan's Will View Post
If anyone is having trouble getting to the main menu, i have a bizarre fix that works every time for me- in swkotor2.ini under Game Options, change CurSithLord=0/2, to CurSithLord=3, this makes Kreia show up instead of Nihilus or Sion, and I have no idea why this works, but it does on Xp AND vista. Maybe someone else who knows programming could explain it. FYI: I run on a XPS 410 Vista Home Premium with an Nvidia geforce 9600 gso card with the latest drivers, I had to reformat back to Vista from XP after formatting to XP a few months ago, but the fix worked there too. I don't think Vista is necessarily the source, it looks like its all about the graphics cards for me anyway.
That line wasn't in my .ini file but I added it, and...

Worked! Thank you so much!
I was about to uninstall but now I can actually play. I love you.
Vaqx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #80
OZstarwars
Lurker

Angry

Very frustrated Dad here. We bought a super go faster computer so that my son can play his games. 2nd game that we buy is SWKOTOR2 and it will not work.

We have a DELL, Studio XPS 435MT, Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @2.67 GHZ, with 4.0 GM RAM and 64 bit operating system. OS is Windows Vista with SP1.

I have followed your 9 steps religiously but I get a error message that SWKOTOR@ has stopped working.

I have updated the Directx stuff from post #3.

What else do you recommend?

The game stops with an error message about 20 secs after starting. No graphics start - nothing - nada.

Last edited by OZstarwars; 06-23-2009 at 11:04 AM.
OZstarwars is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report