lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: GarfieldJL's Newsbusters Headlines Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
GarfieldJL's Newsbusters Headlines Thread

Newsbusters, has caught the AP at engaging with class warfare. Now this wouldn't be that big of a deal, except this involves 3 families with total of seven children none of whom older than nine years of age, dieing in a plane crash.


Newsbusters has sourced the articles in question and I've had a look at those articles myself, and I have to say I'm disgusted but not particularly surprised.

(Sorry if some of my spelling is off, I haven't had much sleep these last few days)
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
True_Avery
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,002
Ultrarich? Good job guy.

But, while that was tactless, I also find slapping "but it was 7 children!" onto everything to be just as tasteless. The families of the deceased are probably having a hard enough time without the faces being posted online and throughout the news.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
Ultrarich? Good job guy.

But, while that was tactless, I also find slapping "but it was 7 children!" onto everything to be just as tasteless. The families of the deceased are probably having a hard enough time without the faces being posted online and throughout the news.
They got the picture from a news source as well, Newsbusters covers how news organizations report things and/or what they choose not to report.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness
 
ET Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Evil League of Evil
Posts: 9,405
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
This is the one of the least newsworthy things I may have ever read about ever.



ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET Warrior View Post
This is the one of the least newsworthy things I may have ever read about ever.
It's how the AP covered the story that makes it newsworthy, class warfare anyone?
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
True_Avery
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Class warfare anyone?
Simple comment blown out of proportion anyone?

There are better things to bicker about.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Rogue Nine
*static*
 
Rogue Nine's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 14,654
Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Yellowstone Club files for Bankruptcy on Nov 10, 2008.

This is not the first time Matthew Brown has referred to this club as 'for the ultra-rich'. Why didn't Newsbusters make a stink about this back then?

Because they're blowing this out of proportion to further more fearmongering from tin foil hat-wearing conservatives, that's why. Pathetic.




have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
RoxStar
Moderator
 
RoxStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,411
Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post

Because they're blowing this out of proportion to further more fearmongering from tin foil hat-wearing conservatives, that's why. Pathetic.
Check and mate.

RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
Because they're blowing this out of proportion to further more fearmongering from tin foil hat-wearing conservatives, that's why. Pathetic.
^I wanted to make sure everyone got this, in case you missed it the first two times.

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
On_Your_Six
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 39
I'm sorry, there's no way someone who has defended O'Reilly's reporting can possibly jump to the next topic and comment on what is really despicable reporting. Especially when it's grounded in a made up semantical context. Carry on.
On_Your_Six is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
This is not the first time Matthew Brown has referred to this club as 'for the ultra-rich'. Why didn't Newsbusters make a stink about this back then?

Because they're blowing this out of proportion to further more fearmongering from tin foil hat-wearing conservatives, that's why. Pathetic.
People didn't die in the Club going bankrupt, the story Newsbusters is talking about did. Whether or not you choose to acknowledge that fact is your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by On_Your_Six
I'm sorry, there's no way someone who has defended O'Reilly's reporting can possibly jump to the next topic and comment on what is really despicable reporting. Especially when it's grounded in a made up semantical context. Carry on.
Mr. O'Reilly doesn't go around bashing the recently departed dead, seriously can it with the derogatory comments...


@ RoxStar

You can argue about it being a check, but it was as sure as heck not mate.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
On_Your_Six
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 39
You clearly don't watch his segments.

And in no way was I ever derogatory there, friend.

Though I would become highly derogatory with you if you continue to defend O'Reilly after watching this.

Now, I'm kind of disappointed that alot of Sustren's (whom I hate anyways) has been annotated, but whatever, the point is clear.

Worse yet, he was completely unapologetic about his words.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi42d3dKDsE

Last edited by On_Your_Six; 03-24-2009 at 10:05 PM.
On_Your_Six is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #13
Rogue Nine
*static*
 
Rogue Nine's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 14,654
Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
People didn't die in the Club going bankrupt, the story Newsbusters is talking about did. Whether or not you choose to acknowledge that fact is your problem.
It is not I who isn't acknowledging this fact, it's Newsbusters. Yes, people did not die in the Club going bankrupt, but Matthew Brown did refer to it as 'ultra-rich'. He also refers to it as 'ultra-rich' in this most recent story. So what?

In the story you and your tinfoil hat cronies are getting your panties in a twist over, Matthew Brown simply repeated what he called the Yellowstone Club in a previous story. Given the fact that the Yellowstone club has an exclusive invite-only membership that includes some of the richest names in America like Bill Gates and Dan Quayle, the 'ultra-rich' qualifier is definitely warranted.




have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #14
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Mr. O'Reilly doesn't go around bashing the recently departed dead, seriously can it with the derogatory comments...

False. And I like listening to Bill O'.

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by On_Your_Six View Post
You clearly don't watch his segments.

And in no way was I ever derogatory there, friend.

Though I would become highly derogatory with you if you continue to defend O'Reilly after watching this.

Now, I'm kind of disappointed that alot of Sustren's (whom I hate anyways) has been annotated, but whatever, the point is clear.

Worse yet, he was completely unapologetic about his words.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi42d3dKDsE

Wasn't someone from an NBC affiliate sued by John Gibson over a doctored video that ended up on youtube, seriously I watch O'Reilly rather frequently and he isn't nearly as bad as you say he is.


@ Rogue Nine

My problem is the fact he brought it up in a story where people died in a plane crash. Maybe you don't care because these people weren't living in a slum somewhere, but in my opinion they were people and you don't go trashing the recently departed.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #16
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Wasn't someone from an NBC affiliate sued by John Gibson over a doctored video that ended up on youtube, seriously I watch O'Reilly rather frequently and he isn't nearly as bad as you say he is.
How the **** is that relevant? That has nothing to do with this video, which is obvious in its point. Way to commit a Poisoning the Well Fallacy and completely negate your argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfy
@ Rogue Nine

My problem is the fact he brought it up in a story where people died in a plane crash. Maybe you don't care because these people weren't living in a slum somewhere, but in my opinion they were people and you don't go trashing the recently departed.
Did you watch the YT vid?

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 10:57 PM   #17
Rogue Nine
*static*
 
Rogue Nine's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 14,654
Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
My problem is the fact he brought it up in a story where people died in a plane crash. Maybe you don't care because these people weren't living in a slum somewhere, but in my opinion they were people and you don't go trashing the recently departed.
Please identify the language in the article that 'trashes' the recently departed family. You can't because there isn't any and you're just reading into a pair of words to encourage fearmongering and ridiculous political posturing. Nowhere in that article does it say 'haha, a bunch of rich people died, let's all laugh now.'




have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #18
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
How the **** is that relevant? That has nothing to do with this video, which is obvious in its point. Way to commit a Poisoning the Well Fallacy and completely negate your argument.
No, I'm asking who compiled the video. And quit swearing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin
Did you watch the YT vid?
Yes, and I think there is some stuff missing that changes the context of what was said, now I'll need to look at it again from home, but that's my initial impression since I watched O'Reilly and Greta talk about that kid.

@ Rogue Nine

Then why did he bring it up?
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #19
Rogue Nine
*static*
 
Rogue Nine's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 14,654
Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Then why did he bring it up?
Because he's called it that before? Because it's an accurate description of the Yellowstone Club?




have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #20
On_Your_Six
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garf
Yes, and I think there is some stuff missing that changes the context of what was said, now I'll need to look at it again from home, but that's my initial impression since I watched O'Reilly and Greta talk about that kid.
No, absolutely nothing changes the fact that O'Reilly suggested that it must've have been fun enough not to go to school to remain with the kidnapper and suffer sodomy and various other abuses.

Now, I'm sure you're not rushing out to get the unedited version of that clip to even make a fair statement, because you can't. You simply can't.
On_Your_Six is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #21
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by On_Your_Six View Post
No, absolutely nothing changes the fact that O'Reilly suggested that it must've have been fun enough not to go to school to remain with the kidnapper and suffer sodomy and various other abuses.
Ever hear of sarcasm, Mr. O'Reilly uses it sometimes, that's something people who don't usually watch the Factor tend not to understand...

The segment had to do with Shawn suffering from psychological abuse, and quite frankly there are other times Mr. O'Reilly points out what other people would argue (such as what you're claiming he was saying about Shawn).


Quote:
Originally Posted by On_Your_Six
Now, I'm sure you're not rushing out to get the unedited version of that clip to even make a fair statement, because you can't. You simply can't.
Since I didn't get home until after midnight, of course I didn't look for a tape online, I went to bed I have class you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
Because he's called it that before? Because it's an accurate description of the Yellowstone Club?
If it was that big of an issue for him he could have left it out of the article because it wasn't relevant to the news story. It's an obituary for goodness sakes.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #22
On_Your_Six
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garf
Ever hear of sarcasm, Mr. O'Reilly uses it sometimes, that's something people who don't usually watch the Factor tend not to understand...
So, that makes his reporting not despicable how?

Amazing how you can take something so small from an AP article and blow it out into some inhuman tabloid garbage, and yet remain stubbornly blind to sources you respect.

Seriously, you lost this one.
On_Your_Six is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #23
Rogue Nine
*static*
 
Rogue Nine's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 14,654
Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
If it was that big of an issue for him he could have left it out of the article because it wasn't relevant to the news story. It's an obituary for goodness sakes.
No, it's a news story. If it was an obituary, it would be in the obituary section. And again, Brown had established that the Yellowstone Club was an exclusive resort for rich people in a previous story, so it makes sense that he would mention its status in this story as well.

It's really pathetic how conservatives latch on to those two little words and turn it into a whole uproar on 'class warfare'. Personally, I think this is more insulting to the families of the dead than the article was. Using their deaths as a platform for political pandering and frivolity. Conservatives should be ashamed of themselves.




have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #24
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,047
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET Warrior View Post
This is the one of the least newsworthy things I may have ever read about ever.
QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
Personally, I think this is more insulting to the families of the dead than the article was. Using their deaths as a platform for political pandering and frivolity. Conservatives should be ashamed of themselves.
Could not agree more.

The very superficial study of journalism stresses the importance of who, what, when, where, why and how. Since most readers of Mr. Brown’s article are not privileged enough to be familiar with a club exclusive as the Yellowstone Club. The description of the club as “for the ultra-rich” clarifies the where in as few words as possible without talking away from the bulk of the story which is the who and the how, not the where.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #25
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
No, I'm asking who compiled the video. And quit swearing...
No, I don't think so. The purpose of the language filter is to stop the actual words. I'm not circumventing the language filter, and I've been told before by mods that there is no rule against it. As long as I'm not cussing at a member in a way that constitutes flaming, I have every right to do so.

So ****ing **** **** ****.

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #26
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
New York Times tries to generate sympathy for a Cop-Killer

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/clay-wa...ure-cop-killer

Basically the New York Times tried to generate sympathy for a man that murdered two police officers in cold-blood during a routine traffic stop. Then he killed two SWAT team members in the shoot-out that occurred afterward.


I'm completely disgusted, but I'm not particularly surprised, no wonder places like the New York Times are trying to get a bailout. Thing is, they should go bankrupt due to their shoddy journalism.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #27
True_Avery
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/clay-wa...ure-cop-killer

Basically the New York Times tried to generate sympathy for a man that murdered two police officers in cold-blood during a routine traffic stop. Then he killed two SWAT team members in the shoot-out that occurred afterward.
Sorry, but I'm not someone who labels someone evil right on the spot so I fail to see how talking about this mans life is bad journalism. It is better than "man kills two cops" on front page. Least NYT's tied to explore the humanity of the situation instead of the "This guy was so evil that he made evil scared!" which is frankly childish journalism.

Sorry, NewsBusters, but there is no such thing as a clear-cut case. NYT's does not need to apologize or retract any statements when they delved into a story and told a side that was not being reported. To suggest this was clear-cut is to show the ignorance of Newsbusters and how little they understand about actual journalism and how far down they are willing to go to pick at scraps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
I'm completely disgusted, but I'm not particularly surprised, no wonder places like the New York Times are trying to get a bailout. Thing is, they should go bankrupt due to their shoddy journalism.
What shoddy journalism? There was a story, they explored it, and then they published it. They told a side that was not being expressed and acknowledged that the shooter was still a human being. While the man ruined his life and the lives of others, at least he got someone to try to look through his eyes no matter how muddy they may have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Ever hear of sarcasm, Mr. O'Reilly uses it sometimes, that's something people who don't usually watch the Factor tend not to understand...
Hahaha, yeah! Sodomy and abuse is funny! [/sarcasm]

For someone who bottom feeds for sarcastic remarks to make threads about, you are awfully easy when someone on your side of the table makes a funny. It wasn't a tasteless joke or anything, it was a funny!

Disgusting.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2009, 03:17 AM   #28
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,631
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Garfield, there's two sides to every story. The NYT decided to look into the other side, seeing as people were already looking at the 'evil' part of it.

Seems to me that you're just trying to make out that any news organisation that doesn't follow the same, tired, conservative standpoint to be a threat (Hardly surprising, though).






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > GarfieldJL's Newsbusters Headlines Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.