lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Did MI4 suck or what???
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #81
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Way to dig up an old post...this is over 3.5 years old...
On the other note, it did suck.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #82
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Dude probably googled "MI4 suck" or something and found this.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #83
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshi
Dude probably googled "MI4 suck" or something and found this.
This post is old

Monkey Island 4 was not as good as Monkey Island 1 or 2 but Monkey Island 4 wasnt that bad.

"Remember wherever you are on sea or land you can't hide from Largo LaGrande"
Largo LaGrande is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2008, 07:49 AM   #84
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Oh man. Largo. You are...back.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #85
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
Oh man. Largo. You are...back.

Thanks dude

I never left I still read I haven’t posted here for a while because I use the mojo forums more.

This forum is still awesome I would never leave here there are so many memories and I have so many friends.

This is the best place on the web were you can talk and debate on Monkey Island games.

I hadn’t posted on here for a while until some dude decided to comment on an old post.

Did you pay me toll and weres my grog.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #86
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

Yah mon. Uhm. Indeed. Why is the grog gone?

Old 04-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #87
USSSkipjack
Lurker

Well, I was reading through the forum, trying to find some hints on how to make this game run better...
I did not find anything really usable, but dug up this thread here that at least allowed me to vent my frustration.
Maybe I should have opened a new thread for that?
CU
Skippy
USSSkipjack is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #88
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Probably would have been better, but since you've already ressurected this, it may as well stay.

(Didn't we used to have a moderator who'd sort this stuff out?)

Old 04-09-2008, 02:27 AM   #89
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

(Yes, there is one, but I couldn't be bothered.)

Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 AM   #90
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

Ray

I still have the ps2 version of monkey island 4 it runs excellently.

Its actually not that bad a game its not as good as good as Monkey Island 1 and 2 they are classics.

But Monkey Island 4 is still a good Monkey Island game.

I think that Monkey Island is best in 2D and I hope that when they make Monkey Island 5 they make it 2D and get Ron Gilbert back, and get him to continue from Monkey Island 2 the way he wanted it to continue and forget about 3 and 4.

I would also like them to make it for PC and Xbox 360 and I would like to see Monkey Island 1 and 2 on Xbox Live Aracde.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:55 AM   #91
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

Actually there's an unofficial XBox port of ScummVM, so technically you can play MI 1 - 3 and all other supported games on the XBox three six fiver slash twenty four slash seven.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #92
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
Actually there's an unofficial XBox port of ScummVM, so technically you can play MI 1 - 3 and all other supported games on the XBox three six fiver slash twenty four slash seven.
Were can i get it.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #93
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

It's called ScummVMx, google it.
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #94
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

Awesome i will

If any of you want to add me to your xbox 360 friends list your welcome to this is my gamertag

Blue Jedi 360

Include a messege reminding me your from the lucas forums because i get lots of friends requests.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #95
Ben Paddon
Rookie

I really disliked the way MI4 dicked about with established continuity and the MI Universe in general. The first three MI games sort of toyed with the fourth wall but never really broke it, while MI4 threw a brick through it, ransacked it for loot, and then told some really duff jokes on the way out. MI3 isn't as good as the first two games but so far as I'm concerned it's a fitting end to the series.

Kudos to the developers for managing to do Stan's suit in 3D, though.

Ben Paddon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #96
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Paddon
I really disliked the way MI4 dicked about with established continuity and the MI Universe in general. The first three MI games sort of toyed with the fourth wall but never really broke it, while MI4 threw a brick through it, ransacked it for loot, and then told some really duff jokes on the way out. MI3 isn't as good as the first two games but so far as I'm concerned it's a fitting end to the series.

Kudos to the developers for managing to do Stan's suit in 3D, though.
I only liked Monkey Island 1 and 2 because after 1 and 2 they got rid of creator Ron Gilbert and they changed the graphics and story for the worse and that’s why I don’t like Monkey Island 3 and 4.

They are not bad games there just not as good as Monkey Island 1 and 2.

I think they should get Ron Gilbert back to make Monkey Island 3 go back to the classic 2D graphics of Monkey Island 2 and ask him to carry on the story from were Monkey Island 2 left us they way he originally wanted to and make Monkey Island 3, they should start the story for Monkey Island 3 by saying 3 and 4 were just a dream.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #97
shadow_judge
Rookie

I don't know why you guys keep criticizing MI3. It was great, but the only problem is the game is super short, and it doesn't fit with the MI2's ending. Well, that's two problems. But it's not letting the game's value down, right? Its graphic was superior (I best like the Puerto Pollo town background), its music was the best of the best, so does its voice acting, scripting, et cetera...

Small note: I first know of MI series by playing MI3 since I was about 9 or 10. After that one or two years, I bought MI4. Then last year, I have a chance to play MI2 and the last: MI1. MI2, I agree, is superior. MI1 does great too, but it's too... quiet! Well, MI1 didn't have iMUSE, so it's acceptable. (Uhhh that's a pretty long small note).

IMHO, I'll arrange like this:

MI2 -> MI3 -> MI1 -> MI4.

You may reply this arrangement in anger, but, it's just my opinion .

Another thing: MI4 DID have something good. I can tell is its music, well, damn good, or excellent. I love it, the "House of Wax theme", "Elaine's Mansion theme", and the background music playing when the Voodoo lady tells Guybrush about Ultimate Insult from the chest. It was great, right?
shadow_judge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #98
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

I like Monkey Island 1 and Monkey Island 2 best.

This is an old thread by the way

Old 04-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #99
Ben Paddon
Rookie

It is an old thread, yes. But someone necro'd it a while ago and the discussion has just sort-of resumed. Four years a fair amount of time and offers much in the way of hindsight.

I've always considered MI1 and 2 to be two halves of the same game, much in the same way that Serious Sam: The First Encounter and Serious Sam: The Second Encounter both make up the first game in that particular series (and from what I recall Ron Gilbert did originally want it to be one game, but I can't remember where I read that). Individually I still rate MI1 higher than MI2. MI3 was almost as good as the first two games.

MI4, though? Let's pretend it didn't happen.

Ben Paddon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #100
niente1
Lurker

Thumbs down MI4 SUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mally
I have been playing the MI games for like 10 years now and i'm pretty sorry to say that MI4 totally sucked balls, i know its a game joke that guybrush gets no respect but they took it too far and if they couldnt get a decent 3d engine DON'T MAKE THE GAME 3D!!!! If they do make a new MI i sure hope they do a way better job then they did in the last installment. What do you guys reckon?
I agree with you, MI4 sucks!!!! I love MI series, but I didn't finish MI4, it's sooo ugly and it sucks so much! The first time I saw it I asked myself: who's that guy? I played it for some time, then I was disgusted by it...
niente1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2008, 04:55 AM   #101
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by niente1
I agree with you, MI4 sucks!!!! I love MI series, but I didn't finish MI4, it's sooo ugly and it sucks so much! The first time I saw it I asked myself: who's that guy? I played it for some time, then I was disgusted by it...
I agree i mean MI3 OR MI4 are not bad games there just not as good as MI1 or MI2.

When they changed the look of the game and the look of guybrush in MI3 and MI4 i was so upset because guybrush was like a role model for me he was badass in MI1 and MI2 i liked the look of him in MI2 best.

I was upset because guybrush went from being the badass character he was in MI1 and MI2 to a weedy camp gay looking character in MI3 and MI4 i was so upset.

Go here to see for yourself http://2f.img.v4.skyrock.com/2fa/guy...9668_small.jpg

I liked MI1 and MI2 because they were dark and spooky.

They dident just change guybrush they changed the loook of our other favourite charcaters too in MI3 and MI4.

I liked how le chuck looked in MI2.
http://www.diskusjon.no/uploads/av-49891.gif

Last edited by Largo LaGrande; 04-28-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #102
Melče1999
Lurker

Ahoy!
I don't know if anyone will still read this, but I will say it anyway. : D
I looked back on the notes in this topic and generally I think that people who started playing MI ever since the beginning, were much more disappointed with the outcome of the 4th game than gamers who played only the more recent games (3 and 4).
Personally for me, it was a disappointment, however at the time, I was just glad to play a MonkeyIsland game once again and tried to focus on the things that I used to love about the games before.

However, just like some of you on this Forum I didn't finish the game because of the annoying things all listed here before (bugs, boring story, ANNOYING ATMOSPHERE)
Looking back on the game after this many years, I agree that it is best to pretend this episode never happened and its easier now, since I hardly remember the 4th game anymore, having replayed all the other MI games since 2001. ; )
Melče1999 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #103
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

The International House of Mojo Staff 
Although I think of it as the worst of four great games, I consider myself one of EMI's biggest defenders. I maintain that if a Monkey Island 5 were ever made, this game would hold up a lot better in people's minds as a middle chapter rather than an ending one.

Also, I've concluded that I feel toward Indiana Jones 4 the way everyone else feels about EMI.
Udvarnoky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #104
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
I'll happily defend EMI over Indy 4. Indy 4 was certainly a competent movie, but something about Nuking the Fridge...

Old 03-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #105
Voodoo_Priestess
Lurker

Current Game: Escape from MI
It would've been better if they stuck to the CMI graphics
Those graphics were Sweet
The 3D thing, I was not a fan of.
But the humor was great, made me laugh like crazy in alot of the parts
If they do make a MI5
Then it has to be the graphics they used in CMI
But overall I loved it
Voodoo_Priestess is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #106
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
I just started re-playing MI4 for the first time in a few years now (cleaning out cupboard, found the discs) and I have to say, it's one good game. Compared to the other MI games, it's the worst of the 4, but then, compared to the large selection of adventure games out there, it really is very good. Even with its flaws, it's a great game.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #107
Threepwood4life
Rookie

MI 4 didn't have the charm that the previous games had and I think goin 3D was cause of how well recieved Grim Fandango was they thought it would work with Monkey Island, how wrong they were indeed.

It also kinda leaves the series with a gaping hole that needs to be fixed before it gets bigger and can't be repaired at all.

View my blogs and various news at thedailygamepad.com
Threepwood4life is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #108
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

The International House of Mojo Staff 
I suspect going with a previously existing 3D engine had a lot to do with budget. By all accounts, LucasArts funded EMI modestly (probably a wise move and the only reason the game made a profit), and I'm guessing they weren't interested in paying for a game with 200 painted backgrounds and hand-drawn animation again. CMI and Grim Fandango were extremely well-received games, but I think their financial success was only moderate which led them to be the last uber-budget adventure games the company would put out.

EMI is not nearly as visually satisfying a game as CMI - not by a long shot - but within the strict parameters the team was likely made to work under (intentionally low target specs, two CDs, low poly models, low resolution), it was respectable. The art direction had room for improvement, but honestly for a low-end 3D game made in 2000, EMI's visual style stands out as something reasonably different and interesting I think.

Last edited by Udvarnoky; 03-28-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Udvarnoky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #109
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Okay so, what I said in my last post... scratch that. Re-playing it again was interesting to a point, and that point was when we land back on monkey island. It was then I remembered how the rest of the game went and I simply stopped playing. I just couldn't be bothered with it. I still think it's a better game than a lot of other adventure games out there, but right now I'm finding it to be fairly boring.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Monkey Island Discussion > MI Chat > General MI Discussion > Did MI4 suck or what???