lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Killer Apps, Tweaks & Important Updates!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #81
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: FTL
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Internet Explorer 8 is now available for download for Win XP, Vista, and Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Int...wnload-ie.aspx

Some videos on its use:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ta/videos.aspx

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #82
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
I just skimmed this thread and noticed that there weren't any Linux Apps listed!

Well... some of the apps listed swing both ways. VLC is one. I use it in Linux almost exclusively for my video files (or any other media file). You can even use it to stream across a network if you want.

When I'm not using VLC, I like Miro and lately I've been downloading all my podcasts via Miro. But it handles video subscriptions (get your weekly Diggnation, Geek Brief TV, etc.). Miro supports a variety of operating systems (but its best in Linux!).

Gimp - because not everyone can afford Photoshop. Gimp is open source and multi-platform. There's a Windoz version. There's also an off-shoot that has tried to imitate the functionality of Photoshop. Gimp does just about everything PS does, but it isn't laid out the nearly same. Being Open Source, other developers are free to play with the code.

Open Office - I use it nearly everyday! Multi-platform -works on Linux, MS, etc.

Xournal - this is one of my favorites. It only works on Linux, however. Its a PDF annotation tool that lets you mark-up, comment, and highlight (among other things) PDF files and even export them as new PDF documents that can be opened marked/highlighted in Adobe reader and printed. I have a version on my Nokia N800 which I use to mark up journal articles that I'm reading for grad school, then I plug into a printer at school and print the highlighted & marked pages to a color printer. I've even used marked up PDFs in a presentation in a lecture I gave. A cool tool!

The best killer app I've come across in a while:

Ubuntu - a totally free and well done operating system that I've been using for several years. And each release just gets better. I installed the current distribution on a machine that previously only had Win XP and had Firefox up and surfing the net in about 20 minutes from Power up to signing in to iGoogle.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #83
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinWalker View Post
I just skimmed this thread and noticed that there weren't any Linux Apps listed!
Likely because persons using Linux as their chief OS are savvy and patient enough to wade through the lines of terminal window commands to achieve most tasks

That being said, apps like gimp, vlc and open office are great alternatives.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #84
jrrtoken

Since we're talkin' Linux...

Ubuntu Studio
is a fork of Ubuntu meant for multimedia editing. As such, it's preloaded with tons of open source audio, video, and graphics editors.

Blender is one of the best 3D modeling programs I've ever used. Although it's more suited for animation and rendering rather than creating actual model files for games and whatnot, it is on par with 3ds Max in terms of complexity and quality of its renders.

Last edited by jrrtoken; 04-08-2009 at 09:44 AM.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #85
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Naah... the terminal window is dying the same slow death that the dos command window did with MS Win machines.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #86
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Avidemux
Convert, transform, edit pretty much any video format into pretty much any other video format. You can open any .VOB file and save it as .MP4 or whatever. An awesome easy to use piece of open source software.

GAP - the GIMP Animation Package
Exract animations or videos into images or put images together into animations or videos. Very useful to create animated GIFs from videos.

MythTV
One of my favorites, it enables me to watch TV over the laptop with the USB-DVB stick on all other computers all over my network.

MPD - the Music Player Daemon
Runs on the laptop connected to my stereo, so I can listen to music over it. I can control it from every other machine in my home. I also can stream the music to any machine I want.

WINE
I play my favorite Windows games using WINE. I use it at work, too.

Last edited by Ray Jones; 04-08-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #87
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones View Post
MythTV
One of my favorites, it enables me to watch TV over the laptop with the USB-DVB stick on all other computers all over my network.
There are a huge amount of linux based HTPC optiosn there, so many it gives me headache to think of the number I personally like Elise Mediacenter, but theyre all variations on a theme of course. For those looking to achieve the same thing on a windows based system...

If you have Vista Home Premium or Ultimate, it has the Media Center applet built in. There is an XP Media Center edition, which is still used by some, but no longer officially supported. If youre in XP, best use Media Portal, which is OSource project. Finally there is the Windows 7 beta. 7077 is the most recent[leaked] build, and Release Candidate 1 is around the corner. Ive been HTPCing since 2006 and Im mightily impressed with win7. Some bemoan no native bluray, but apart from that, it is very user friendly, and with Astro's own custom black/transperent themes, looks much prettier than the cruddy default blue. There are many cool themes available for media portal, and (some) variations of the Linux options(Elise MC looks great)

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 04-09-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #88
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

No, the point is to have one or more TV cards in one PC somewhere in the corner and make it/them usable on all other PCs so as if they all had cards in them, hence client/server structure.

Elisa can't do that, and err, actually, none of the "apps" you have listed can.

My goal is that I don't have to attach a ton of antennas and DVB sticks and cables to my laptop to watch TV, not to have a fully fledged MC.

Last edited by Ray Jones; 04-10-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:33 AM   #89
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Thats good Ray. Thank you for the info.

Read carefully, I wasnt countering, just listing some other apps, like the thread title states

Quote:
and err, actually, none of the "apps" you have listed can
Things are never so black and white Ray Not knowing what exists does not mean it doesn not exist[/metaphysical]

As you know, we try give a more fuller picture here, hence:

Referring to vista/w7 specifically, there are (at least) 3 rock solid options:

i) Using a server device('PC somewhere in the corner') with a network tuner such as the HD Homerun These actually work on every platform from Myth to MPortal, XP, Vista and W7(beta). You can't do it wirelessly with this specific model, but unless your running a 802.11n network, I wouldnt fancy your chances of a stable 1080i stream on 802.11g, esp if you live in a big place with brick walls and such.

If you're able to splurge on a 802.11n setup, you probably wouldnt be wanting to watch TV on your laptop, but on nice 1080p LCD/Plasma/OLED/Projection display...

In any event, to continue:

ii) If you need wireless and have a 802.11n setup, best go with the linksys media center extender (which you can get for $95.00 USD) allows remote streming of live tv from the tuners over in your centralised media center pc. The wireless-n can handle 1080 broadcasts no sweat, and HDMI out gives you a dazzling pic on your TV. But the presence of older analog outputs(composite and s-video) means you can plug this gadget pretty much any TV(except really really old ones!!)

Alternatively,

iii) You could use an xbox 360, which has built in media center extender functionality to stream live tv from your media center pc.

>Both of these above options plug straight into your TV, and are much cheaper than a lappie.

It all really depends on what your aims and budget are. If you are into gaming and already have a pc running vista, the xbox 360 gives you the most fun, with an almost effortless ease of setup. Something you cant easily say applies to a non Linux savvy user about Myth.

Mac users have the Apple TV option as well, though that relies on "on-demand" content from the net rather than internal tuner sharing Some workarounds are abailable to extend the device's limited 'out of the box' functionality

There are also similar devices using linux floating around, particularly those using the xbmc platform, which were originally made to run of the first gen xbox. The XBMC project has since blossomed to include win and mac integration(though not as stable on latter as that phase of its development is relatively new)

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 04-10-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #90
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

Good lord, Astro. The point of watching TV on my laptop is that there's nothing near that reminds on anything home entertainment centre/TV screen like thing, sometimes not even a power outlet. Like my balcony, the backyard, bathroom, kitchen or my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
Thats good Ray. Thank you for the info.

Read carefully, I wasnt countering, just listing some other apps, like the thread title states
Read carefully yourself, I just told you that you've missed my point about MythTV.

Quote:
Things are never so black and white Ray Not knowing what exists does not mean it doesn not exist
Things become quite black and white when we talk about a 2 PC + 1 tuner card + Linux only setup, Astro. I know I can buy tons of stuff and windows applications and whatnot, but I didn't want to, because I had everything that's needed. And I know very well my options when it comes to home theatre systems since mankind had Laserdiscs and THX. Been there, done that. There's no need to spend endless money when all that I want is to watch TV.

Quote:
ii) If you need wireless and have a 802.11n setup, best go with the linksys media center extender (which you can get for $95.00 USD) allows remote streming of live tv from the tuners over in your centralised media center pc. The wireless-n can handle 1080 broadcasts no sweat, and HDMI out gives you a dazzling pic on your TV. But the presence of older analog outputs(composite and s-video) means you can plug this gadget pretty much any TV(except really really old ones!!)

[...]

Alternatively,

iii) You could use an xbox 360, which has built in media center extender functionality to stream live tv from your media center pc.

>Both of these above options plug straight into your TV, and are much cheaper than a lappie.
More alternatively, instead of buying extra devices for some hundred bucks, use VLC and one of its remote control interfaces to stream multimedia content or live TV from your MCPC. Plus, most nVdia cards/laptops with an nVidia card have video/s-video/DVI/HDMI out connectors nowadays. :~~

Quote:
It all really depends on what your aims and budget are. If you are into gaming and already have a pc running vista, the xbox 360 gives you the most fun, with an almost effortless ease of setup. Something you cant easily say applies to a non Linux savvy user about Myth.
< tuner card + PC + http://mythbuntu.org/

Old 04-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #91
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones View Post
...I know I can buy
...but I didn't want to,
...because I had everything
...And I know very well
...All that I want..
So many "I's ! Heavens, Ray this isnt a blog page!

We have both provided a great range of information on windows, Linux and even Apple options for watching multimedia, in a variety of contexts. This is the purpose of this thread. Anything else, is particularly irrelevant.

If you want to write a guide about linux based htpc or streaming server/client setup, it would be a wonderful resource to have here for those interested. Alternately, if you want to do a more detailed focus/showcase thread on your setup, stating your personal preferences, that would be great too. That would be a more appropriate place for such discussion.

OT: Back to the apps.

There are a bunch of desktop management proggies out there, turning your desktop into cubes and what not. Here's a newer one for PC called Bumptop, that sets up your desktop to look like a room essentially. You can pin stuff to walls, flip around, pile things up. Perfect for you that want to have ALL your icons on once screen in front of you as opposed to flipping through various virtual desktops. It is optimised for touchscreen and tablet pcs, and also has multitouch capability, but you can use it with a plain ole mouse of course too. Sys reqs are pretty low, I run it on a 4yo tablet with geforce4 32mb There's a free version available, see the linkied article for download link and demo video

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 04-10-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #92
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

Well, of course, Astro.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #93
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

As it seems negsun has disappeared off the face of the planet techforum, I'll provide this very late update...with apologies

Update May 23 2009

Current drivers:

Nvidia WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs tested)

185.85 (XP x86)

185.85 (Vista x86)

185.85 (Vista x64)

Windows7 Beta:

185.85 Windows7 x86

185.84 Windows7 x64

ATI Catalyst WHQL

Catalyst 9.5 (XP x86)

Catalyst 9.5 (Vista/Windows7 x86)

Catalyst 9.5 (Vist/Windows7 x64)

Vista Codec Pack

The VCP (compiled by shark007 from msdn) now supports XP as as well. Includes FFDshow, Xvid, DivX and other common tools.
Custom install allows you to select only bits you want. x64 Add-ons are a must for vista/W7 x64 users(install alongside with the x86 pack)

There is an all-new config GUI which simplifies advanced config options for all common filetypes:
5.26 (Final) VCP for XP/Vista x86

1.8.6 (Final) add-on for Vista x64

Windows7 beta codecs:

Fully featured codec pack support is now available for those trialing the Win7beta.

Windows7 codec pack x86 1.1.4 (Final)

1.20 (Final) add on for Windows7 x64

Finally, just in case you missed it: Applies for DX9 and 10, XP and Vista:

DirectX March 2009

very overdue, I know

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-02-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #94
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Windows Vista Service Pack 2

Here's an FAQ via Technet Nb. It is NOT a cumulative update, so requires you to have SP1 before your install it

x86 Download Page [384 MB]

x64 Download Page [577 MB]

These are the five language stadalone downloads, so if you need more than the 5 languages, you're perhaps better off checking out the All language standalones.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #95
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Update July 13th 2009

Current drivers:

186.18 (XP x86)

186.18 (Vista/Win7 x86)

186.18 (Vista/Win7 x64)

ATI Catalyst WHQL

Catalyst 9.6 (XP x86)

Catalyst 9.6 (Vista/Windows7 x86)

Catalyst 9.6 (Vist/Windows7 x64)

Vista Codec Pack

The VCP (compiled by shark007 from msdn) now supports XP as as well. Includes FFDshow, Xvid, DivX and other common tools.
Custom install allows you to select only bits you want. x64 Add-ons are a must for vista/W7 x64 users(install alongside with the x86 pack)

There is an all-new config GUI which simplifies advanced config options for all common filetypes:
5.3.3 (Final) VCP for XP/Vista x86

2.0.1 (Final) add-on for XP/Vista/Win7 x64

^ These are fresh out 11/07/2009 !!!

Windows7 beta codecs:

Fully featured codec pack support is now available for those trialing the Win7beta.

Windows7 codec pack x86 1.2.1 (Final)

Couldn't find x64 add-on for Win7 but the one for Vista says "WinAll" so maybe that'll work? Maybe Astro could figure that one out for us? Cause the old link he posted to didn't work for me...

*Yep. the x64 installer is now unified for all versions of windows - Astro

Finally, just in case you missed it: Applies for DX9 and 10, XP and Vista:

DirectX March 2009

Enjoy

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 07-14-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #96
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Update January 2010

Current drivers:

195.62 (XP x86)

195.62 (Vista/Win7 x86)

195.62 (Vista/Win7 x64)

ATI Catalyst WHQL

Catalyst 9.12 (XP x86)

Catalyst 9.12 (Vista/Windows7 x86)

Catalyst 9.12 (Vista/Windows7 x64)

There is also a hotfix for the 9.12 Catalyst to adress certain specific issues:

WinXP x86-64

Vista/Win7 x86-64

Vista Codec Pack

There is an all-new config GUI which simplifies advanced config options for all common filetypes.

5.5.2 (Final) VCP for XP/Vista x86

2.2.6 (Final) Win7 codecs x86

2.3.1 (Final) add-on for XP/Vista/Win7 x64

Finally, just in case you missed it (still the latest version AFAIK): Applies for DX9 and 10, XP and Vista:

DirectX March 2009

Enjoy

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #97
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Some programs I've used/still use that have been useful in the past.

TrayIt!
A nifty little program that lets you minimize any program you want to the system tray. I like it because it reduces my taskbar clutter. Although the site doesn't mention Vista support, I've been running it in both Vista x64 and XP 32-bit with no problems.

CPU-Z and GPU-Z
CPU-Z gives you easy access to information about your CPU and other main components (except graphics cards) that would otherwise take a bit more searching. GPU-Z does this for your GPU. Very useful for overclockers, still useful for non-overclockers.

WinLAME
A useful audio encoding/decoding/conversion/cd-ripping tool. It supports a bunch of different formats.

WinFF
A nice GUI version of the command line tool FFMpeg, an easy to use, quite fast (at least on my pc) video conversion tool.

Hit And Run Poster Extraordinaire
--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #98
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Forza 5
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
heads up to anyone sporting a Radeon 4800, 5700, 5800, or 5900 series graphics card: the new 10.3 Catalyst Drivers are expected to be made public this week. why is this so important?? because this particular set of drivers is supposed to improve gaming performance on just about every DX10 and DX11 game out there by a minimum of 3-5%. according to AMD's numbers, some games could benefit by as much as 30%.

and no worries: this update won't bake your graphics card.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #99
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
and no worries: this update won't bake your graphics card.
seeing that some of AMDs cards nudge 100C on load, why would AMD need to bother with dodgy drivers to achieve excessive heat production/ineffective cooling !!

Hopefully we can get some independent verification of those numbers and which games and configs they apply to. 60 Frames/sec is the base standard for smooth gameplay, 3-5% improvement amounts to 1.8-3 FPS.. It isn't even worth mentioning surely.

The 30% improved games - different story. I hope the list is revealed and relevant configs tested and verified by third parties. Though it wouldn't be unusual for such dramatic improvements to be shown in crossfire setups - which just like SLI setups, have been hit and miss with various titles.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 04-28-2010, 02:40 AM   #100
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

OK. Whilst negsun finishes off his 12th playthrough of ME2, here are the updates:

Update April-May 2010

Current drivers:

197.45 (XP x86)

197.45 (Vista/Win7 x86)

197.45(Vista/Win7 x64)

AMD Catalyst WHQL 10.5

THIS PAGE includes the many different options for Catalyst Driver/Control Center etc bits, and also includes a link to the Mass Effect 2 Hotfix for Radeon cards

Vista Codec Pack

The VCP (compiled by shark007) now supports XP as as well. Includes FFDshow, Xvid, DivX and other common tools.

There is an all-new config GUI which simplifies advanced config options for all common filetypes.

5.6.8 (Final) VCP for XP/Vista x86

2.4.8 (Final) Win7 codecs x86

2.5.4 (Final) add-on for XP/Vista/Win7 x64

Finally, just in case you missed it (still the latest version AFAIK): Applies for DX9,10,11 - XP and Vista/W7 (nb. XP only gets DX9 updates of course)

DirectX March 2009

Enjoy

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-06-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #101
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Google Redesigned, a super addon for FF is definitely worth looking at if you use gmail/reader/calendar prolifically

It totally reskins gmail, google reader and google calendar. Use it with other extensions like integrated gmail and minimalist gmail and you can make gmail look exactly the way you want, including switching off ads, unnecessary labels and footers etc, giving it all a nice clean look.

Check it out - 'tis all FREE

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 06-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #102
Nick Vader

Current Game: Dead Rising 2
I use RAM Booster, Daemon tools, fraps, wincustomize and a bunch more. They are some really usefull tools.

Thanks for all the links! Now I have aliens invading my pc ! (Alien Invasion)

EDIT: OMG! Astro ! You've got 2421 spam messages !!! It should say "You have Spam" instead of mail !

Hehe! I see you've won a bunch o' bucks there! Care to give me some ???...hehe

Last edited by Nick Vader; 06-01-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Nick Vader is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #103
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Vader View Post
EDIT: OMG! Astro ! You've got 2421 spam messages !!! It should say "You have Spam" instead of mail !

Hehe! I see you've won a bunch o' bucks there! Care to give me some ???...hehe
lolz... I dont work for lifehacker.com, nor is my name Kevin, but the image is courtesy of them

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 06-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #104
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Its been around for ages, but just in case you missed it - Fireuploader(firefox universal uploader) is a great FF extension that allows you to upload to image and video accounts directly from a webpage, generating links for you as it does so. Support smany differnt account types, youtube, flickr, picasa, photobucket, dropbox, rapidshare etc etc. See linky for more info.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 08-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #105
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

I love this program. It lets you organize your desktop into sections. Really helpful for me.

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #106
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Cool stuff Canderis

For something similar, but a bit more compact - there is also the Launch Control sidebar gadget for Windows 7(not sure if it works in Vista)

It is extremely customisable - you can even adjust delays on folders opening. You can add as many tabs to it as you want. It's definitely worth checking out if you like organising your icons in a neat and tidy corner. Totally FREE of course

Launch Control at Windows Live Gallery

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 08-14-2010, 04:03 AM   #107
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Whether it's to follow updates from educational institutions or your favourite pRon star, there are a lot of different twitter clients out there. If you don't mind using the web interface but wished it was more fully features, allowing inline display of links, images and even videos - you should check out the FF extension http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc288/Astrotoy7/power-twitter-2.png[/IMG]power twitter

2 thumbs up

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Killer Apps, Tweaks & Important Updates!