lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: iTunes Completely DRM-Free
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 AM   #41
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
now then, i mostly use windows media player, because im on vista and itunes is incredibly slow on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
There's your problem.
Agreed. Do yourself a favor and dump the bloatware/spyware sell-you-out-to-the-recording-industry schlock that is WMP. I don't know what anyone else here uses, but I use this for all of my media needs. Once it's configured correctly nothing beats it, IMO.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 01-15-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 AM   #42
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

on the topic of program prefs:

im with gta: i hate IE with a passion.
i havent used safari before. i use firefox3 right now and cant decide about chrome (im staying with ff because i have lifesaving addons that i cant let go of!)

Quote:
I don't know what anyone else here uses, but I use this for all of my media needs. Once it's configured correctly nothing beats it, IMO.
lol, ive been using mpc for ages, but ive never really used it for music listening, as its not too user friendly for that kinda stuff in my experience (i could be wrong) i use mpc and vlc media player for when i come across random file types. motto: if its a weird media filetype, mpc can play it! (well, 90% of the time anyway)

another reason im using wmp is because its incredibly easy to manage music on my cell phone (more so than the cell phones actual music software: nokia music manager). just drag, drop, and send via bluetooth! done! (and the UI is far better on wmp rather than nmm)

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #43
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I'd like to contribute to this thread tangent and say that I like Firefox with a passion and think Chrome is good, but definitely not as good as Firefox. You really can't beat them add-ons.

As for media, I user The KMPlayer for media playing. It's got internal codecs for pretty much any format you want (including .swf files) and has an incredibly huge list of options to tune the player and media.

For music, I use Teen Spirit, which will be renamed to Jaangle sometime soon. I discovered it not too long ago and fell in love with it: intuitive interface, supreme speed (on my computer, speed is something of an issue >.>), and a great library. For a program that's not hit version 1 yet, I think TS has loads of potential.

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 04-15-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: edited language
Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #44
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
now if tuneup (and other programs that do the same thing) is actually useful, if it's function is actually solving a valid problem,the programs are not a useless ripoff, and the praises hundreds (thousands-?) of people all over the world are singing about it are deserved, then my second argument still stands and i come to this conclusion: "itunes does not have a comprehensive autotagging functionality for non itunes ripped/bought music and i am not an idiot for wanting that function in itunes. "
no arguments to this?

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #45
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
@general
Broheim...ah. Not a particular fav. genre of mine, punk rock. That's one of my fav. songs, however, by pennymarch on the pennywise album.

Peep that y'all.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 04-15-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: edited out deleted quote
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2009, 03:48 AM   #46
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article in first post
No more DRM by the end of March
its april... anyone know when is this going to happen, exactly? - im hankerin to get some tunes..

it is not a cry of joy.

Last edited by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan; 04-15-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #47
Fiestainabox

Current Game: Borderlands
I agree with everything Jmac has said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
Agreed. Do yourself a favor and dump the bloatware/spyware sell-you-out-to-the-recording-industry schlock that is WMP. I don't know what anyone else here uses, but I use this for all of my media needs. Once it's configured correctly nothing beats it, IMO.
You mean you use VNC Player, you can't actually play anything directly using the K-Lite codec pack...

And from what CCCP claims, K-Lite is crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusGonnaOwnYouSatan
now if tuneup (and other programs that do the same thing) is actually useful, if it's function is actually solving a valid problem,the programs are not a useless ripoff, and the praises hundreds (thousands-?) of people all over the world are singing about it are deserved, then my second argument still stands and i come to this conclusion: "itunes does not have a comprehensive autotagging functionality for non itunes ripped/bought music and i am not an idiot for wanting that function in itunes. "
Unless your retagging your entire 40 gig library your not going to need auto-tagging in iTunes. If you have the physical ability to "Shift+Click" you have the ability to tag an entire CD in under 5 minutes.

I know this from mainly because, believe it or not, I actually enjoy tagging my music as much as listening to it.

I've used Safari and IE, yeah, to download the Firefox 3.1.

I don't like Safari, I've even used it on a Mac, I just plain don't like it.

As for Chrome, I've used it, liked it, but found it to unreliable, I've had times when Chrome's told me I've been banned from my school's website, yet works fine in Firefox and IE.

deleted

Those two CD's were BY FAR the worst tagged CD's I've ever downloaded. The only thing I had to change was that "Blood Sex Sugar Magik" had it's artist field tagged as "The Red Hot Chili Peppers" rather than "Red Hot Chili Peppers."

I actually own those two CD's, but I still find it easier just to download them. I'm running a Thinkpad, which has a CD drive that not only sounds like a Buzzsaw, but also heats up enough to make you sweat.
Oversharing! --Jae

Anyway...

I think iTunes has took a step in the right direction by getting rid of DRM. The problem with DRM is you feel like your renting something rather than actually buying it.

Sadly, this does nothing for the actual quality of the music artists are pumping out, for every "Mars Volta" and "Wolfmother" theres three "Fallout Boy" (Not to be confused with Vault Boy) and "My Chemical Romance."

Mallcore is wrong in every way.

HideTheWeapons [K1][TSL]|Last Stand[K1]|Camera Angles[TSL]
Fallout: Less Useless Gifts[Nexus]|Named Wasteland[Nexus]

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 04-15-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Fiestainabox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #48
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Allow me to remind everyone of this rule:
Quote:
1. Illegal material

Do not post links to sites that contain illegal material or discuss where to obtain illegal material (ie where to get illegal MP3s, warez, cracks, etc.). Do not post magazine scans and other copyrighted material. This is prohibited.
Discussions about how to perform activities that are illegal in the US are also prohibited.
I just cleaned up a ton of old and new illegal discussion. Consider this a warning to everyone who posts here: Any further discussion of illegal downloading will earn you infractions, not warning cards. I also cleaned up a bunch of jerk replies to someone who was simply asking for help. If you're tempted to fire off a sarcastic response to someone instead of helping, here's my "friendly advice" to you: Don't. Either be helpful, or STFU. If you can't STFU, the staff will do it for you, but it'll cost you infraction points for wasting my or another moderator's time editing your post(s). I now return you to your legal discussion.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #49
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
its april... anyone know when is this going to happen, exactly? - im hankerin to get some tunes..
You can download music in the regular format or DRM free--it gives you the option from what I could see when I d/l'd an Epica album the other day. You pay more for the DRM-free option.

I use PodLift to transfer music to my hard drive. DRM problem gone. It's freeware and it's available from CNet's download.com. Follow the warning about turning automatic sync off if you're using a computer where you don't normally sync your iPod so you don't lose your music.

I found this on download.com--I have no idea if it'll do what you want, but this might be what you're looking for with regard to your tags. TagScanner.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #50
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
You can download music in the regular format or DRM free--it gives you the option from what I could see when I d/l'd an Epica album the other day. You pay more for the DRM-free option.
hmm, according to the itunes message, all of itunes songs are now DRM free, not just the higher priced ones...

Quote:
I use PodLift to transfer music to my hard drive. DRM problem gone.
podlift is nifty, but what i want to do is to have itunes music playable on my mobile phone, which is my primary music device. this should be possible with the new drm free purchases off the itunes store, right?

Quote:
I found this on download.com--I have no idea if it'll do what you want, but this might be what you're looking for with regard to your tags. TagScanner.
thanks, ill give it a try.

it is not a cry of joy.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > iTunes Completely DRM-Free