lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: How do you rate this episode of LucasCast?
Excellent! 10 47.62%
It was very good. 8 38.10%
It was okay. 3 14.29%
You guys can do better. 0 0%
It sucked! 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: LucasCast: Episode 4
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
LucasCast: Episode 4

Episode 4 is all about Game Developerís Conference which took place two weeks ago in San Francisco. We talk about the biggest happenings including the announcement of Onlive, what Nintendo has been up to, the Game Developerís Choice Awards, how Dragon Age looks so far, and the iPhone as a gaming platform.

Release date: 13 April 2009

Download page: www.lucascast.com/episode-4/

Summary:
  • What games we are playing
  • How will OnLive change the industry?
  • Nintendoís announcements at GDC
  • Game Developerís Choice Awards
  • Dragon Age GDC Demo Impressions
  • The iPhone changes everything
Extra Information and resources:

This section contains spoilers. Please listen to the podcast episode before you view the hidden area.

Show spoiler

Comments:

Make sure to let us know what you think of the show! Post comments in this thread, and if you have any questions you'd like answered on a future episode, email us at questions@lucascast.com or use the contact form on our website.

We hope you enjoy this episode of LucasCast!

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
It's very good, very informative - best one so far IMO.

Funny too!

and welcome to the podcasts rhett! ur awesome!

Edit: And thanks a bunch for recommending rock band Jae Onasi - I went to stockport with m8s after listening to this and bought it! its loads of fun!

and damn u moeller and groovy, riddick aint out in uk for 11 days yet!

Last edited by Taak Farst; 04-13-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Taak Farst is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
jrrtoken

World of Goo is awesome, and shall always be awesome, for it is awesome. Amen.

I'm surprised, and shocked, that you guys didn't mention Snatcher from Hideo Kojima; It was definitely the best Sega CD game, and has a much better plot than any of the Metal Gear games.

And yes, Dragon Age does look generic. Not only is it set in the oh so redundant high fantasy realm of lack of creativity, the dialogue, so far, looks truly pathetic. I also haven't seen the most important aspect of them all: dragons. I mean, when you have a game called Dragon Age, a title that literally translates as "Age of Dragons", you'd think that there would dragons everywhere. If the only dragon in the game is the final boss, then there wouldn't be much point to naming a whole franchise after one measly dragon.
jrrtoken is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Show spoiler

For Grooves

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may:
Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Hooray! An edlib shoutout!

Pertinent links:

The LucasForums Group on Facebook.

The LucasCast Fan Page on Facebook.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is online now   you may:
Old 04-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
I mean, when you have a game called Dragon Age, a title that literally translates as "Age of Dragons", you'd think that there would dragons everywhere.
Indeed, you can barely take two steps without stumbling over a dragon in China during the Year of the Dragon.

Personally I prefer to reserve judgment about a game until I've had a chance to look at it. Sneak previews and teasers rarely give a decent impression of what the final game will be like, in my experience.

stoffe is offline   you may:
Old 04-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
@ PastramiX: If I was there I would've mentioned Snatcher and I would've busted some heads over that Zelda bit.

XD

Lynk Former is offline   you may:
Old 04-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I will be sure to send you an electronic mail for the next one

RoxStar is offline   you may:
Old 04-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Congrats to Boba Rhett!

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may:
Old 04-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Hehe, Thanks. Not many seem to have noticed that particular news in there.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may:
Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Oh, sorry Rhett

Congratulations! (you should have made a thread in the Swamp or something!)

Also, it was good to have you finally on the Cast, stick around. Your pantsless humor is enjoyed by many

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may:
Old 04-15-2009, 04:37 AM   #12
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
Your pantsless humor is enjoyed by many
Yes. Let's just hope the LucasCast sticks to audio.. if ever they should migrate to video...

Gratz Rhett on the engagement! How much did it set you back to bribe her to say 'yes'?

>.> * runs *

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may:
Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Congratulations Rhett!

@ChAiNz, what would we all have to do to get you in on the Cast?

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may:
Old 04-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #14
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

Current Game: Awaiting Greatness from PS4!
10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member LucasCast staff 
Hey boys and girls!

Glad you got a kick out of Episode 4. My favorite parts were towards the last 15 minutes of recording where Niner launched his rants about how a cell phone is a cell phone, get off my lawn! Niner is a very funny guy! Also remember though, that Niner is the one that makes these podcasts sound professional by cutting out all of our screw ups, and moving things around so they flow better in the cast. He is a pure genius at what he does!

Easter is over, so we are back on schedule with recording. Due to my job, and the powers that be, we are recording Episode 5 on Friday instead of our usual Sunday record time. That means Episode 5 should be up for download by Monday of next week. We will have most of the usual suspects on our discussion panel, with the exception of Darth Moeller, who has some serious school issues to tend too. If you have been wondering why Lynk Former has been absent, it is due to his new job which unfortunately due to Australian time zone differences, removes him from recording time. I am sure he won't be gone for good, but for the time being, we brought in acdcfanbill to take up his space on the recording end. Also, Boba Rhett will be back for Episode 5. I am sure Lynk will be back in time. However, after all, I did promise that there would be a "revolving door" of cast members between episodes. PLEASE keep the emails coming in, and continue to tell all of your friends about lucascast.com! The more fans we get, the more feedback, and the more topics we will address! And I promise you, no more KOTOR references in the next podcast!

Also, just curious, would you guys like us to do more audio effects like we did with the bit from A New Hope on Episode 3? They can be a bitch to put together, but we are always trying different things to make the cast more interesting to you folks. Keep those emails coming, and spread the word for us!
Darth Groovy is offline   you may:
Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
BloodWarp
Banned

Current Game: Soul Calibur 4 - PS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Groovy View Post
Hey boys and girls!

Glad you got a kick out of Episode 4. My favorite parts were towards the last 15 minutes of recording where Niner launched his rants about how a cell phone is a cell phone, get off my lawn! Niner is a very funny guy! Also remember though, that Niner is the one that makes these podcasts sound professional by cutting out all of our screw ups, and moving things around so they flow better in the cast. He is a pure genius at what he does!

Easter is over, so we are back on schedule with recording. Due to my job, and the powers that be, we are recording Episode 5 on Friday instead of our usual Sunday record time. That means Episode 5 should be up for download by Monday of next week. We will have most of the usual suspects on our discussion panel, with the exception of Darth Moeller, who has some serious school issues to tend too. If you have been wondering why Lynk Former has been absent, it is due to his new job which unfortunately due to Australian time zone differences, removes him from recording time. I am sure he won't be gone for good, but for the time being, we brought in acdcfanbill to take up his space on the recording end. Also, Boba Rhett will be back for Episode 5. I am sure Lynk will be back in time. However, after all, I did promise that there would be a "revolving door" of cast members between episodes. PLEASE keep the emails coming in, and continue to tell all of your friends about lucascast.com! The more fans we get, the more feedback, and the more topics we will address! And I promise you, no more KOTOR references in the next podcast!

Also, just curious, would you guys like us to do more audio effects like we did with the bit from A New Hope on Episode 3? They can be a bitch to put together, but we are always trying different things to make the cast more interesting to you folks. Keep those emails coming, and spread the word for us!
I'd love to hear something like the rogue squadron thing - i Laughed when Jae said "Jae Onasi, Standing by" - love her accent haha

..I have no ideas what to do apart from the rogue squadron though :P
BloodWarp is offline   you may:
Old 04-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
You could have a couple of you (Lynk and Lexx p'haps?) recreate the banter and dialog from the cutscenes from Jedi Outcast with Kyle and Jan.

Or just use pithy quotes (if you can't get legal clearance to use the actual sound clips...) from the soundtracks of various LA games in general.

The LA adventure games would be an almost endless source of these (Sam and Max, Monkey Island, and Grim Fandango could keep you set for years of episodes to come...

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is online now   you may:
Old 04-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #17
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodWarp View Post
I'd love to hear something like the rogue squadron thing - i Laughed when Jae said "Jae Onasi, Standing by" - love her accent haha

..I have no ideas what to do apart from the rogue squadron though :P
I didn't know I had an accent. Sounds totally normal to me.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 04-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Firstly, a huge CONGRATS to Rhett on the engagement! Is she allowed in 'The Man Room'?? Don't ever allow her to put throw rugs and pillows all over it, like some gals are prone to do....

Wow. Ep4 was super! Good to see Rhett and Bill in there great to see edlib get a shout out and Im fast getting used to being mentioned without being mentioned(Rebel Assault crawl correction) Edit: heard it... sorry I missed it! Cheers for the mention Grooves
It indeed wasnt James Earl Jones, but I wouldnt rip on RA2s audio too much... considering it was designed for Sound Blaster 16 era hardware

The blooper reel was hilarious, as was groovys terrible Oz accent. It must be said that pulling off a less exaggerated Aussie accent(unlike Steve Irwins for example) is pretty hard. It's like how its easier to emulate a Texan accent as opposed to a Boston one, simply because we are used to hearing the Texan more from Tv, movies, news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Groovy View Post
Also, just curious, would you guys like us to do more audio effects like we did with the bit from A New Hope on Episode 3?
IMO, that type of stuff is fantastic. It also maintains a SW element to the podcast. The opening/closing jingle is in a very different style, so having a little Star Wars nod would be fun to acknowledge what actually brought us to LFN

eg. just as an idea(based on something similar I heard elsewhere, but with yoda as the focus)
Following the opening jingle intro, you could add a little clip of a cast member doing Ackbars It's A Trap bit. The person chosen for this must have the worse possible Ackbar impression, which you could further reveal by playing back everyones effort in the blooper real.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 04-17-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may:
Old 04-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #19
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Hey--we mentioned you by name, Astro. I've listened to the cast twice now and noted your name both times. I think Steve Irwin's accent isn't too hard to mimic, but I'm one of those people who can hear something and repeat the sound pretty well, unless it's a Spanish R. I can make the Arabic sound 'ayn' but not a Spanish R. Go figure.

I can do a pretty decent Yoda. Can you imagine me as a soprano Ackbar, though?

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 04-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #20
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Lexx got me curious... So, I looked into No One Lives Forever 2... And found this... The Far Cry pun was great Rhett...

Quote:
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Can you imagine me as a soprano Ackbar, though?
I laughed a lot at that question..answer is I can(t) - dunno - but im obsessed with ur accent naw.

Taak Farst is offline   you may:
Old 04-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #22
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Hey--we mentioned you by name, Astro. I've listened to the cast twice now and noted your name both times.
Drats! Another male multitasking failure! I was trying to watch a soccer match via sat when I was listening to it. I must listen again when time permits..

Quote:
unless it's a Spanish R. I can make the Arabic sound 'ayn' but not a Spanish R. Go figure.
My partner has *exactly* the same problem. Im currently learning a bit of Spanish. Getting her to say brother = "hermano" [ERR-MA-NO] is one of my favourite passtimes.. she always says ELMANO. I dont think her tongue curls properly, which is a tragedy for me at many levels

Quote:
Can you imagine me as a soprano Ackbar, though?
That and an Ackbar with a South London(IIRC) accent by Lexxy would also be quite interesting

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #23
Kusanavi

Current Game: Team Fortress 2
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Great podcast as always! Grats Rhett! Also, come on, how could you not mention Snatcher when talking about Hideo Kojima's previous games?

Kusanavi is offline   you may:
Old 04-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #24
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
Lexx got me curious... So, I looked into No One Lives Forever 2... And found this... The Far Cry pun was great Rhett...

Now doesn't that look awesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
That and an Ackbar with a South London(IIRC) accent by Lexxy would also be quite interesting
West London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusanavi View Post
Great podcast as always! Grats Rhett! Also, come on, how could you not mention Snatcher when talking about Hideo Kojima's previous games?
I did say Snatcher.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may:
Old 04-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #25
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

^ It does look like a lot of fun.

Quote:
Old 04-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #26
Kusanavi

Current Game: Team Fortress 2
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leXX View Post
I did say Snatcher.
Oh, my apologies then, LeXX. I guess I was too distracted by Niner and his MGS hate. I'll pay more attention next time.

Kusanavi is offline   you may:
Old 04-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #27
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
MGS4 is a corny movie with interactive interludes. If I want to watch a movie, I'll pay $10 to watch one in the theater instead of $60 to watch one try to pass itself off as a game on my TV.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may:
Old 04-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #28
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
West London.
Ah, this explains why you havent dropped an ''eazy now rudeboy'' yet!![/watches too many British cop shows]

Seeing you are a West Londoner, does that mean you're a Chelsea FC gal?

btw Lexxy, I am also a "glass half full'' type too, esp when it comes to new initiatives that streamline technology(like OnLive). Its only for banks & politicians that Im cynical to the core on

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 04-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #29
leXX
Forum Mum

Hell no! I'm an Arsenal fan (even though we lost today ).

make life bearable.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #30
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
Now doesn't that look awesome?
Sword fighting with a chinese chick in a house that is being torn apart around you? **** yeah.

Awesome episode guys! Congrats rhett!
TriggerGod is offline   you may:
Old 04-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #31
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Hell no! I'm an Arsenal fan (even though we lost today ).
A West Londoner supporting a North London club....I didnt know such a thing was allowed !

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 04-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #32
leXX
Forum Mum

I guess I should've been more clear, I'm from North West London.

make life bearable.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #33
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Great podcast guys! By far my favorite. Oh, and gratz to Rhett!

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may:
Old 04-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #34
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
I guess I should've been more clear, I'm from North West London.
Was it the south east part of north west london?

acdcfanbill is offline   you may:
Old 04-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #35
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I second the AvP2 game night idea. It'd be sweet if we could get a decent sized group.

Great podcast!
swphreak is offline   you may:
Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #36
jrrtoken

So... has Ep. 5 been put on hold, scrapped, dropped in the sewers, or suffered some other dastardly fate?
jrrtoken is offline   you may:
Old 04-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #37
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

Current Game: Awaiting Greatness from PS4!
10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member LucasCast staff 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
So... has Ep. 5 been put on hold, scrapped, dropped in the sewers, or suffered some other dastardly fate?
*knocks on forehead* Hello McFly? Is it Monday, where you live? Otherwise you are too early to the party. Check back in a few hours.
Darth Groovy is offline   you may:
Old 05-06-2009, 03:24 AM   #38
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

this 'cast made me want to go out and get the games mentioned, especially no one lives forever, which i have seen around, but never paid too much attention to.

i absolutely agree with jae on all her points on the left behind game and christian video games.
@groovy: i take it that your comment that video games are satanic was a joke. right?

great job on this one!

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > LucasCast Discussion > LucasCast: Episode 4