lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Graphic Design computer
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #41
True_Avery
Banned

I'm not gonna lie; I have no idea what to do on that site.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2009, 02:29 AM   #42
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
And I can't even see it.

We're ****ed.

Well, either the memory will work or it won't, and you'll have to exchange it for some that will. My bigger concern is that you live in CA and will have to pay tax on Newegg purchases. I didn't think about it because I live in VA and I don't have to pay tax on anything from Newegg, Fry's, Amazon and a bunch of other places that don't have a store or warehouse here. That tax will add up to a lot of money.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 05-07-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2009, 05:13 AM   #43
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
... you live in CA and will have to pay tax...
huh...you have interstate variances on stuff like that?? What type of freaky tax laws you got goin on there?? All taxation stuff is federal here in Oz, making us all uniformally bollocksed :*(

Sounds like VA is the US equivalent of the Cayman Islands..... sans the beaches and ebony beauties

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #44
Q
The one who knocks

Yeah, like the Cayman Islands, only with jack-booted, goose-stepping police that set up road blocks just to shine a flashlight in your eyes, check for licenses, smell your breath and then let the dope dog sniff and take a leak on your car. We do have beaches, though.

Most states have their own sales tax and income tax. Some is reasonable, but IIRC, CA's is pretty brutal, and I think that Newegg's got at least one warehouse there and Fry's has stores there. It's weird the way it works. If the business that you're buying from has an establishment in your state, then you have to pay sales tax, but if it doesn't, you don't. Here in VA it's a give-and-take. I don't have to pay sales tax on anything from places like Fry's, but I also miss out on all of their in-store only deals, which are often more outrageous than the ones online, like when CPU lines go EOL and they put them on clearance.

It's going to add hundred's of dollars to Avery's bottom line. I'm going to have to figure out a way around that.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 05-07-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #45
True_Avery
Banned

Yeah, I was aware of the tax problem when I started and since we're the base for a ton of companies there isn't a whole lot of ways to get around it. Comes with living in a state as expensive as California.

But, that aside, I've been told on other sites that using all 6 slots to get 12GB RAM actually slows your ram down considerably. Can anyone confirm this?

If so, anyone got any better RAM ideas on how to get 12gb?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #46
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

@Avery. I just thought I might throw this into the mix. Even if just for a FYI curiousity : A couple of AutoCAD folk I know are very excited about this corei7 mainboard and its support for 24GB RAM and numerous pcie slots for all that SSD blitzkrieg.

http://en.expreview.com/2009/05/05/a...i-e-slots.html

Depending on if a particular mainboard supports them, 4GB 8GB DDR3 sticks are not too far away. Wont be cheap though. But playing in the high end never is....

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #47
True_Avery
Banned

Nice board. http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P6T-Delux...1578875&sr=8-2 isn't too far behind it though, and I doubt it will be better enough to justify the wait and new-release cost.

EDIT: posted wrong card. corrected.

Last edited by True_Avery; 05-07-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #48
True_Avery
Banned

[Sorry for Double]

I was considering some alternatives and am thinking of buying the hardware, but sending it out of state to my Uncle who would then mail it to me. Now, how would I figure out who has a station where in order to avoid as much extra tax as possible?

He lives in Nevada.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:13 AM   #49
Q
The one who knocks

Well, you can add some stuff to your cart, enter the zip code of where you're shipping it to, proceed to checkout, enter both the billing and the shipping address (billing=CA; shipping=NV) and see if you get charged any tax.

And I'm asking around about your question about having RAM in all six slots slowing down the computer. Core i7 and X58's pretty new, so I don't know as much about it as I do about the previous generation, but in my experience with older machines filling up your board doesn't make any difference at stock speeds. It will effect an overclock, however, because 4 sticks require more power from the memory controller, so in order to maintain stability you have to bump the northbridge and RAM voltage with 4 sticks.

I can't think that it's much different with 6 sticks, except that Core i7 has a built-in memory controller (like AMD CPUs have had since the Athlon64). My guess is that with 6 sticks either people are encountering instability or Vista64's SuperFetch feature is going crazy trying to fill up all of that available RAM. Either one would slow the computer down.

-Toker

Last edited by Q; 05-08-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #50
True_Avery
Banned

I was considering the Samsung 305t and the 2560 x 1600 Resolution, and was wondering if it really is worth it.

Down at Frys I can get a Samsung 32 inch LCD 1080p monitor for only a few hundred dollars compared to the $1000+ 2560 x 1600 Resolution. I'm sure I already know the answer to this, but I'm assuming a 32 inch 1080p is more than enough right now.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #51
Q
The one who knocks

Several gamers have done that, and it would certainly work for gaming if you sat far enough away from the screen and didn't mind a 16:9 aspect ratio. I would think that the resolution would be far too low for graphic design, however. JMO.

-Toker
Old 05-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #52
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
I was considering the Samsung 305t and the 2560 x 1600 Resolution, and was wondering if it really is worth it.

Down at Frys I can get a Samsung 32 inch LCD 1080p monitor for only a few hundred dollars compared to the $1000+ 2560 x 1600 Resolution. I'm sure I already know the answer to this, but I'm assuming a 32 inch 1080p is more than enough right now.
Being a 305T devotee I am whackily biased in my love of 1600p, but I am the first to admit they are damn expensive(same with the Dell and Apple equivalents). I saved for a *year* to get mine

A cheaper alternative maybe the 2048 x 1152(QWXGA), which come in 23'' flavours from Dell and Samsung. The Dell version was about $420 as of last November, so has hopefully crept down a bit. When it comes to multi windowed graphical apps, every pixel of extra 'real estate' you get it is very handy

1080p is primarily a media/console gaming display standard. For the stuff you want to do, you should start at 1900x1200 - even on 23'' ... 1080p slathered across 32'' is great for your ps3, but you are going to be more efficient with more screen space(as opposed to just a bigger screen) [/IMO of course]

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 05-14-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:50 AM   #53
True_Avery
Banned

Went ahead and got a Samsung T260 1920x1200 Monitor on sale for $380. Its damn nice.

Next is to order the actual computer.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #54
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
Went ahead and got a Samsung T260 1920x1200 Monitor on sale for $380. Its damn nice.
super choice avery Remember, if you ever get the hankering for more screenspace, that price makes it feasible to evetually get another and use a dual screen setup. Still works out cheaper than a 305T etc

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 05-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #55
Q
The one who knocks

Yup, that's one of the best TN panels out there.

EDIT: Heads up, Avery. This is the best price on a Core i7 920 that I've ever seen, tax or no tax. Micro Center has two stores in Cali. I don't know what city you live in, but if you do live close to one, you should go ahead and pick one of these up because you're unlikely to find it any cheaper than this and they're probably selling like crack.

-Toker

Last edited by Q; 05-18-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #56
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
EDIT: Heads up, Avery. This is the best price on a Core i7 920 that I've ever seen, tax or no tax. Micro Center has two stores in Cali. I don't know what city you live in, but if you do live close to one, you should go ahead and pick one of these up because you're unlikely to find it any cheaper than this and they're probably selling like crack.
I live in San Diego, and the closest store is in LA. However, I'm heading up to LA in 2 weeks for business so I may be able to jump by the store.

Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Bah, they are sold out right now. That 17 920 / vista ultimate deal is still pretty nice though.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:31 AM   #57
Q
The one who knocks

Yeah, that combo deal isn't bad at all.

It figures that Micro Center sold out of 920s at that price. Oh, well.

I'll let you know if something else pops up.

-Toker
Old 05-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #58
True_Avery
Banned

Ok, ordered everything. Fans came a few days ago and they are quiet as the grave and really nice. I recommend them to anyone who need very nice 2000rpm, 19bd silent 120mm fans.

R4-C2R-20AC-GP
http://www.antarespro.com/2150905-it...long+life.aspx (Its out of stock right now as I bought the last 5 for my case :P )

Half of the computer should be arriving tomorrow, the next at either the end of the week or beginning of next week, and the last bit -possibly- within 2-5 days. I'll update when they get here, because I'll have some questions when I've got this thing together.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Graphic Design computer