lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: exFAT vs. FAT32
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
ForeverNight
nrgurt researcher

Current Game: q2
exFAT vs. FAT32

So, I just got myself a new flash drive, a nice 8GB job by Patriot, and I was going to go and format it when I saw it.

[dramatic_music]exFAT[/dramatic_music]

Anyway, all joking aside, I was wondering if there was any good reason to leave FAT32 and go to exFAT? I'm going to be using this flash drive on four different OS's at a minimum (OSX Leopard, Ubuntu 8.1, WinXP, and WinVista) and, from the wiki article it appeared that it would only read on Vista and XP after a hotfix.

Anybody have any experience with exFAT and can lend me a handy helping hand here?

On a semi-related note, it appears that my Flash Drive buying somewhat follows Moore's Law, every flash drive I've bought has been double the space of my previous one. (My last two were actually good ones two! A Corsair Flash Voyager 4GB and this Patriot Xporter XT 8GB) The sequence was: 128MB, 256MB... and so on until now...

Thanks in advance for any help regarding exFAT.

ForeverNight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I've never even heard of exFAT.

You could probably just format it to FAT32 so that all of your OSes could use it, right?

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
jrrtoken

exFAT is simply a Micro$oft's proprietary answer to flash drives, much like how NTFS was to the hard drive. There are some advantages of using exFAT over FAT32, such as better file structuring, but the sacrifice is Windows-only compatibility. Since you want to be compatible with a variety of OSs, it's best to just format it to FAT32; the same goes for any other portable medium.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
ForeverNight
nrgurt researcher

Current Game: q2
I did format to FAT32, but it's nice to finally know what exFAT gains, thanks all!

ForeverNight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > exFAT vs. FAT32