lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Rock Band 1 and 2
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Rock Band 1 and 2

Got any tips for a new player of RB2? We just picked it up for the family this week, and we're all looking forward to playing together as a family.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Just play, play, play. Takes quite a bit of practice to get good, especially on the extremely fast and/or hard songs like Battery. x.x I would say the hardest curve is going from medium to hard since it adds in the 5th button. I try to always play on at least Hard now so that I don't get used to playing without that button.

But should be a lot of fun for you since the whole family will be playing.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Each of the four instruments have a different learning curve and different requirements for you to do well. I'll try and outline each.

Vocals is probably the hardest thing to do on anything other than Easy, I've found. You've got to be able to match the pitch of the singer's voice and on some of the harder songs like 'Psycho Killer' and 'Painkiller' it gets really, really hard to do. I rarely do vocals because I can't consistently match the pitch and the game kicks me in the ass for it, so the most I can do is wish you good luck on it. xD

Guitar is pretty fun to play, and the easier difficulties really help you get a feel for what you're doing. Once you know how to hit the notes properly by holding down the fret buttons and strumming, it's easy from there out. Get used to holding down the fret button before you strum. Learn to hit chords (multiple frets held down at the same time) consistently. On most songs the guitar will be the featured instrument, meaning you'll carry the bulk of the melody. Also on most songs guitar will have the opportunity to play a solo or two (or in the case of some songs, five) so do your best on these to get lots of extra points.

Bass is probably the easiest instrument to pick up. It's pretty much the same technique as guitar but it's not as demanding because it doesn't usually require you to play chords. In addition, it keeps the rhythm and beat of the song which is not as complex as the guitar melodies for the most part. Again, there are exceptions (<3 'Livin' on a Prayer' and 'The Trees'), but it is still the easiest one to play.

Drums requires you to have a sense of rhythm, no two ways about it. It is also the most physically demanding instrument of the bunch because you are actually moving your hands and feet like a real drummer. It requires you to have some sense of hand-foot coordination as well, since the bass pedal is an integral part of drumming in a good number of songs in the game. It many ways it is the hardest instrument for beginners to pick up, but once you get into the flow of the songs it can also be the most fun.

A few other things... Overdrive is a fun little function that lets you score more points via increasing the multiplier. Just hit the sequence of white notes and your overdrive meter (the orange bar behind the white/black circle in the middle) will build up. You have to tilt your guitars to use it, and hit the green note after the fill section when you're playing drums. It can also be used to save yourself or other bandmates if you're in danger of failing a song. You can also save other bandmates up to two times with it if they've failed out.

At the end of some songs, there will be a Big Rock Finish section, meaning you can just go nuts on whatever instrument you have to build up points during the fill section. At the end, you will have to hit a few more notes to complete the song; if all of you hit them, then you'll score all those points you built up. If even one of you misses, then the points are gone. So make sure you hit the notes at the end!

Have fun rocking out.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Just don't get stranded with the mic. I try to keep away from the vocal like a devil from the cross.

Also, careful not to get too excited and play it the whole night long. Neighbours surely know how to complain... and threaten.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

Current Game: Team Fortress 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Also, careful not to get too excited and play it the whole night long. Neighbours surely know how to complain... and threaten.
And/or sprain your ankle playing drums.

I can't really give any advice beyond what Niner said, but Downloadable songs are your friend.

Da_man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_man View Post
And/or sprain your ankle playing drums.
It can get pretty bloody, I can tell you that.

Someone once wasted a peperonni pizza throwing it at my window. The volume was too high and I just noticed on the next day.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Well, then vocals will be right up my alley--I've sung in choirs for years and can hear and sing in tune pretty well. I have enough breath control to last as long as the end note on All Out of Love and beat out Amy Lee's final note on Bring Me to Life. If the game is fussy, though, then oh well, it'll be fun trying anyway. I think I'm going to pick up another guitar so all 4 of us can play at one time.
I wish they'd put In the Air Tonight (by Phil Collins) in the DLC--that'd be great for all drum lovers.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
I can sing "Almost Easy" on Expert. But, every other song I can barely beat on medium or easy.

Yeah, playing any of the instruments requires you to have some rhythm. In which, I don't have.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #9
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
It can get pretty bloody, I can tell you that.
Pfft. Ask TiE what happened when I tried doing drums on ...And Justice for All. Hell, my dad couldn't walk for a week after a long stint on drums.

I am so totally not making this up.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Jae Onasi

Heh--last night my kids and I got enough stars that we were able to unlock--get this--a 1975 Econoline van. We bring the house down on Eye of the Tiger in Easy mode (or medium in my case on guitar).

I need longer fingers for some of these chords.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Rogue Nine
*static*

Just wait until you run into chords that require you to use the orange button.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #12
Jae Onasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
Just wait until you run into chords that require you to use the orange button.
I'm screwed. Hehe

Old 03-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
CommanderQ
I should go.

Current Game: Mass Effect
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Oh, yeah, both Rockbands are incredibly addicting....once you start playing it is extremely difficult to stop, they really made that game enjoyable.. My Bro and I would play it until the late hours of the night, those songs can get really hard!!!

you very much
If a tree would fall in the woods.....would the other trees laugh at it?
CommanderQ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderQ View Post
My Bro and I would play it until the late hours of the night, those songs can get really hard!!!
You have no idea. Whenever one of my friends has a birthday, we go out to laser tag until they kick us out, then we head to my house to sing the Portal song (YES IT IS ON ROCK BAND) 'til about 7AM.

Pure.

Awesome.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #15
CommanderQ
I should go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_man View Post
You have no idea. Whenever one of my friends has a birthday, we go out to laser tag until they kick us out, then we head to my house to sing the Portal song (YES IT IS ON ROCK BAND) 'til about 7AM.

Pure.

Awesome.
Yeah, I know! The Portal Song!!! *That song is awesome*

Aperture Science....we do what we must because we can....

Totally awesome, man....

you very much
Old 03-28-2009, 12:49 AM   #16
Jae Onasi

I'm just trying to get to the venue where we can unlock the Lacuna Coil song. I'm assuming since they're Italian that it'll probably be Rome.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
If you play a lot you'll pretty much master it in a few months.

Have fun!
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
^ Indeed. Take your time, but the sooner you move to the hard difficulty and get used to the orange button, as Nine pointed out, the faster you'll improve. After all, some of the best songs are incredibly hard ones.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #19
Jae Onasi

We're going to waste way too much time Saturday playing.

I'm just trying to master hitting 2 buttons at one time--not the easiest. I tried the 'freakin' hard guitar' tutorial and discovered I don't know jack. I'll have to work on that one more.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #20
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
I'm just trying to master hitting 2 buttons at one time--not the easiest. I tried the 'freakin' hard guitar' tutorial and discovered I don't know jack. I'll have to work on that one more.
Wait 'till the fearsome three chords at a time comes. That's hell or heaven.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #21
Fiestainabox

Current Game: Borderlands
Pro tip, don't use the 360 headsets, I failed Sabotage on easy using one of those -_-

I've yet to get the second one, is there a huge difference in the games?

HideTheWeapons [K1][TSL]|Last Stand[K1]|Camera Angles[TSL]
Fallout: Less Useless Gifts[Nexus]|Named Wasteland[Nexus]
Fiestainabox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #22
Jae Onasi

We unlocked Stockholm, which has Lacuna Coil's 'Our Truth' in the first venue. You'd think they'd put LC in Rome, what with them being an Italian band and all, but hey, it was cool. I got 98% on medium vocals as the very first song I've sung (I've been playing guitar the whole time), so I was a very happy camper.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #23
Rogue Nine
*static*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestainabox View Post
I've yet to get the second one, is there a huge difference in the games?
The mechanics are unchanged, Harmonix knows better than to try and fix something that ain't broke. The only big change is that there is no single player exclusive career mode; you can play solo in the World Tour mode. In addition, your custom characters will be able to play any instrument, unlike in the first game.

Quote:
I got 98% on medium vocals as the very first song I've sung (I've been playing guitar the whole time), so I was a very happy camper.
I can't get any higher than 90% on Medium, so that's way better than me. ;o

Old 04-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #24
Lord Spitfire

If you can get 98% on singing you must be pretty good. I can't sing for my life.

If you haven't found out already, guitar is probably the funnest out of all the instruments, either that or singing.

Some guitar songs are pretty hard, but they feel really cool when you can play it, especially amazing songs like Almost Easy or any song with good guitar lines.

Let there be rock!

"I hope they realize that music is music, and that music is not a scene, not a style. Music is a beautiful ****ing thing to listen to. It is not a thing to ****ing preach to others about, it's not a ****ing cause. It is what it is—and that's a beautiful artform." - Synyster Gates

Check out my Fanfic:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: Embers of Destruction
Lord Spitfire is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #25
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
Play Visions on expert guitar... strum really fast cause I get around 70k on good runs.

I've got tons of DLC, message me (to let me know where you're coming from) and add me if ya like (look at my sig).

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #26
Jae Onasi

Quote:
I can't get any higher than 90% on Medium, so that's way better than me. ;o
97% on expert mode--woot!!!!! I made a lot of fans for the band.
(Jae does a little Lacuna Coil happy dance).

Old 04-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #27
Rogue Nine
*static*

Okay that's just showing off now >.>

Old 04-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #28
Jae Onasi

Quote:
Okay that's just showing off now >.>
No, _this_ is showing off.

My daughter thought the gold stars were so cool she jumped up and down and hugged my neck until I thought I was going to get whiplash.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #29
Jae Onasi

Rock Band and Pepsi are hosting a contest (details here). If you win, you get a free trip with 2 or 3 other bandmates to the E3 conference to play at the Beatles Rock Band booth. Looks fun!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:37 AM   #30
CommanderQ
I should go.

Jae. HOW DOES ONE GET 5 STARS AND 99% ON EXPERT!!?? This is simply not human!!

Bah, I second Rogue Nine...your just too proud to admit your showing off {joke}

Also, your family should compete in this contest...you have to be good with that kinda' scoring

you very much
Old 05-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #31
Jae Onasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderQ View Post
Jae. HOW DOES ONE GET 5 STARS AND 99% ON EXPERT!!?? This is simply not human!!

Bah, I second Rogue Nine...your just too proud to admit your showing off {joke}
I've actually gotten 100% on it now and made the top 50 on the Wii Leaderboard. I love singing, so it's a lot of fun to play this game.

Quote:
Also, your family should compete in this contest...you have to be good with that kinda' scoring
I'd like to, but everyone in the group has to be 18 or older. So, no Partridge Family 2009 here.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #32
CommanderQ
I should go.

Quote:
I've actually gotten 100% on it now and made the top 50 on the Wii Leaderboard. I love singing, so it's a lot of fun to play this game.
Oy....100%....that is awesome Excellent work indeed Well, it's definately an advantage to love singing and then play a video game that involves alot of singing, definately a plus there.

My Brother and I would play RB2, and when it came to singing...oooohhh..the horror It just figures that alot of the songs we picked for the guitar, required some very high-pitched singing...I highly considered video-taping ourselves and posting it on Youtube, but that would just be too embarrasing

Quote:

I'd like to, but everyone in the group has to be 18 or older. So, no Partridge Family 2009 here.
That's true, aw well The Partridge Family is a perfect example though!!

you very much
Old 05-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #33
Jae Onasi

I'm game to play online (xbox or Wii, either) with anyone here--just PM me to set up a time and we'll rock on. I can play fairly decently to medium level on a lot of songs on guitar or bass, I suck royally at drums on easy, and can sing (or fake my way through) most songs on hard, and can do a number of them on expert. I have all the instruments on Wii, but only the mic for xbox, so I can only do vocals on xbox.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Rock Band 1 and 2