lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Lying and Implications on a Forum
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Lying and Implications on a Forum

A forum has rules and regulations that all who post on it have agreed to follow before they signed up. When someone violates those rules, a moderator can and should step in to enforce those policies... but where does lying, or an implication fit in to all that?

Obviously a direct insult to another member would most definitely violate the rules of a forum and that member deserves whatever sanctions the moderator believes is appropriate. The issue I see is that the majority of such violations are not so direct. When is an insult considered an insult? If someone feels harassed, is that the point where a moderator should step in? If I posted a thread such as this, but did not give any names, would the moderators of this site regard this as an insult to them?

Where does lying get dealt with? Moderators could use their own good judgment, but they have no idea what another person knows and can't sanction someone for lying, or can they? Should they?

When someone lies, that is not in itself offensive to a particular member or moderator, but it is spamming at the very least. The problem is that no one should expect a moderator to go out of their way to figure out whether or not someone is being deceitful on the forum they maintain, but a reasonable deduction could be made without a moderator having to go to great effort.

This thread is not set up as an insult, but it likely would be interpreted as such by specific individuals. If in the event that it does, it is NOT intended to harass. I simply want to get a better understanding as to where interpretation and deceit falls into violating the rules of a specific forum.

Moved to Kavars -- j7

Last edited by jonathan7; 03-02-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may:
Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Why the hell would you post this in Ahto?

Kavar's, at the least, but preferably in the Feedback section.



Oh, and for the record your post makes no sense to me. What are you asking? Whether or not someone should be punished for lying? We're not 5 years old anymore. How can the staff know when someone's lying? How can anyone know when someone online is lying?

House: Everybody lies.

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may:
Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,631
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
When is an insult considered an insult? If someone feels harassed, is that the point where a moderator should step in?
An insult would, obviously, be considered as such when the person who is targeted feels victimised, or finds the comment offensive.

Quote:
If I posted a thread such as this, but did not give any names, would the moderators of this site regard this as an insult to them?
I would suggest that if you do actually have problems with the staff, you take it to the Contact Staff Board in Help and Feedback. That way it can be dealt with in a discreet manner.

But of course, this is assuming that you do have a problem with the staff, but anything relating to staff complaints would be better handled there.

Quote:
Where does lying get dealt with? Moderators could use their own good judgment, but they have no idea what another person knows and can't sanction someone for lying, or can they? Should they?
The problem with the internet is there's rarely a concrete way of verifying anything anyone says on it - the inherent anonymity involved means you really could make up anything.

Quote:
When someone lies, that is not in itself offensive to a particular member or moderator, but it is spamming at the very least.
There'd need to concrete proof of lying first, and whether it is 'spam' or not would be another matter, dependent on the subject of the thread, and content of the post.

AK.






Astor is offline   you may:
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
FTR: Lying is not inherently spam.

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may:
Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo
 
Arcesious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NE
Posts: 1,876
Current Game: Mass Effect
I do recall lying about my age a few times, until I decided "Eh, who cares, I'll tell the truth."

Lying about age is probably the most common thing I see lied about, also because I used to do it. But now the truth is that I'm 15 year old freshman without a job who can't drive yet, not a 16-year old sophomore with a job at burger king and a driver's license.

It's hard to keep up with such a lie if you're not an adult anyways, plus lying about age is kind of pointless, because a good forum 'judges' you by how you behave, not how old you are.

Now, adults lying about being younger than they are on a forum, now that's just weird, but very rare.

People like to lie in order to try to benefit themselves. If they say they're older than they are, they probably hope to get respect due to their alleged age. If its a blatant lie or a half-truth in a debate, that's far more serious. Eventually though, the lie will stop 'benefitting' you if you slip up with an inconsistency. In the long run, lies only hurt your own reputation.


Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may:
Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
This post represents entirely my opinion and not Lucas Forums, nor the rest of the staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
A forum has rules and regulations that all who post on it have agreed to follow before they signed up. When someone violates those rules, a moderator can and should step in to enforce those policies... but where does lying, or an implication fit in to all that?
Unless the lying is directed at another member, (i.e. lying about them), as I understand the rules does not break the rules, regardless of my own feelings about the ethicalness of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
Obviously a direct insult to another member would most definitely violate the rules of a forum and that member deserves whatever sanctions the moderator believes is appropriate. The issue I see is that the majority of such violations are not so direct. When is an insult considered an insult? If someone feels harassed, is that the point where a moderator should step in? If I posted a thread such as this, but did not give any names, would the moderators of this site regard this as an insult to them?
If a post is inflammatory towards someone then the mods will step in, you can also use the report post function, if you feel harassed. No, I and I suspect the rest of the staff don't feel offended by this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
Where does lying get dealt with? Moderators could use their own good judgment, but they have no idea what another person knows and can't sanction someone for lying, or can they? Should they?
See above, lets say someone on the boards lied about being someone famous, and are shown up to be lying, I don't think they have broken any rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
When someone lies, that is not in itself offensive to a particular member or moderator, but it is spamming at the very least. The problem is that no one should expect a moderator to go out of their way to figure out whether or not someone is being deceitful on the forum they maintain, but a reasonable deduction could be made without a moderator having to go to great effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor Kaine View Post
The problem with the internet is there's rarely a concrete way of verifying anything anyone says on it - the inherent anonymity involved means you really could make up anything.
QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
This thread is not set up as an insult, but it likely would be interpreted as such by specific individuals. If in the event that it does, it is NOT intended to harass. I simply want to get a better understanding as to where interpretation and deceit falls into violating the rules of a specific forum
Perhaps something has passed me by, but who is lying?

Hope that clarifies a bit.



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may:
Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
This wasn't MEANT to go to feedback.

Moderators are the supreme power of Lucasforums. They can do anything they like because they manage the site. It's as simple as that.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may:
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,631
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
This wasn't MEANT to go to feedback.

Moderators are the supreme power of Lucasforums. They can do anything they like because they manage the site. It's as simple as that.
To be fair, the tone and content of the thread wasn't all too clear - it's hard to tell whether you were trying to raise an issue or just make a statement...






Astor is offline   you may:
Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
This wasn't MEANT to go to feedback.

Moderators are the supreme power of Lucasforums. They can do anything they like because they manage the site. It's as simple as that.
Perhaps you could clarify as to what you are trying to prove or ask then? Because I know I am thoroughly confused as to your point. >:|

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may:
Old 03-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
This wasn't MEANT to go to feedback.

Moderators are the supreme power of Lucasforums. They can do anything they like because they manage the site. It's as simple as that.
This isn't a thread for Ahto; which is for light-hearted chat about a variety of topics, this either belongs in Kavars or Feedback, though the latter makes more sense. If you want this moved to Kavars then I will do that.



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may:
Old 03-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,364
Yes, I think this has to go to Kavar's, I can see what Yuthura is talking about and she's definitely not complaining about the staff or raising a feedback issue etc. etc.

But I don't really see where Yuthura is coming from. No forum or discussion board monitors truth or lies, they only monitor behaviour and environment. As much as they look like it, the staff isn't really some SS gestapo propaganda mash-up army thing, but they are the local police force.

Moved from Feedback to Kavars -- j7



Last edited by jonathan7; 03-02-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Sabretooth is offline   you may:
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #12
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Darth_Yuthura, you'll need to make a decision about where this thread is going. If this is about issues in general, please clarify that. This either needs to become a discussion or be closed. If this is a complaint about a specific moderator, please PM me and I'll move it to the feedback forum where complaints about staff are supposed to go. Thanks.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 03-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Kavar's is fine. Sorry about posting it w/out specifying exactly what it was and in the wrong location. Thanks to J7 and Jae.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may:
Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #14
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
In a discussion of facts, lying is hard to pull when you provide sources for your claims. Twisted statements, statistics, that sort of stuff, while misleading, is not really lying. And most people who just say "ZOMG ADSHOIANONFASND!!!!" without backing up their claims are ignored. So, that problem is readily solved.

If someone is lying about a member, and it's offensive, then a moderator will deal with it as usual. If someone is lying about themselves, their friend, or some other thing that noone here can prove, then we're all just SOL. Though some lies are pretty blatant, in which case, again, they are ignored by the other people in the topic and the problem is solved.

So really, there isn't a whole lot to be done about lying, and lies or slander that alaready happen are dealt with.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may:
Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom
 
Bee Hoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,268
Forum Veteran Veteran Fan Fic Author LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Imho, lying online is possible, but I don't really see a point to it. For example, how do you *know* that I'm not a socially dysfunctional tinfoil-hat-wearing 50-year-old who lives in a basement and whose only connection with Asia is an unhealthy fascination with underage girls? On the flip side, I might be a hawt multilingual Japanese/Taiwanese actor who is desired by many but seek only to secretly express my geekish tendencies.

(Anyone who has heard me on Skype HAS BEEN FOOLED. NYAN NYAN DID NOT HAPPEN)

So, erm, yeah. I don't have any desire to impersonate others, but the internetz is haunted by many unusual folks, so I daresay that at least some people on this forum are faking it, whether in small ways (i.e. age. Arc, no one gives a damn. Honestly. Maturity earns respect, not calendar age) or big ways.

I bet that Dev is actually a CIA agent conducting a....social experiment.



The sun goes down and the sky reddens, pain grows sharp.
light dwindles. Then is evening
when jasmine flowers open, the deluded say.
But evening is the great brightening dawn
when crested cocks crow all through the tall city
and evening is the whole day
for those without their lovers

-Kuruntokai 234, translated by A.K. Ramanujan

[Fic] Shreds of a Dying Belief
Bee Hoon is offline   you may:
Old 03-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,431
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Hoon View Post
(Anyone who has heard me on Skype HAS BEEN FOOLED. NYAN NYAN DID NOT HAPPEN)
Keep telling yourself that.

I don't really see the point of lying on a forum about age, gender, etc but I am sure some people do it. I am probably way more open about who I am IRL than most people who come online though. But I think the only consequence if you are caught in a lie is potential humiliation, there wouldn't be any actual punishment.


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may:
Old 03-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #17
Pho3nix
#rekt
 
Pho3nix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,370
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller View Post
I don't really see the point of lying on a forum about age, gender, etc but I am sure some people do it. I am probably way more open about who I am IRL than most people who come online though. But I think the only consequence if you are caught in a lie is potential humiliation, there wouldn't be any actual punishment.
Same here. I've never seen any point in lying about my age or whatever, I don't get people who feel the need to do that.

Pho3nix is offline   you may:
Old 03-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #18
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,046
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I really donít understand the topic. Do you want the staff to moderate lying? Without being 100% sure something was a lie I would be really uncomfortable doing that. I would rather error on the side the poster was telling the truth. Even if someone is lying and I know it, unless it is a special circumstance that could affects others following the poster lying advice or if the lie is about a member, I donít really see what harm a lie on the internet could produce.

Besides Iím lying to you right now.
spoiler:
my name really isnít mimartin
mimartin is offline   you may:
Old 03-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #19
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,191
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I was on a certain (Not this) Forum once and got in to a fracas with some dude about some pointless topic, and he made himself look a fool. So he then posts a life story about how he's a war vet, recovering intravenous drug using suicidal gay Virgin with hep-C... ((Not your average geek forum member for starters)) anyway, I call him out and say he's probably a 16 year old with too much time on his hands. I get about 20 PM's saying I'm a Cold MF, and I dont know what it's like to suffer like him etc. It later came out as a lie but I had since been cold-shouldered from the forum. Pathetic but unprovable really


adamqd is offline   you may:
Old 03-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #20
Vaelastraz
Veteran
 
Vaelastraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: City 17. It's safer.
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor Kaine View Post
An insult would, obviously, be considered as such when the person who is targeted feels victimised, or finds the comment offensive.
That can't be the whole story. Otherwise, I might as well claim that every post I don't agree with is offensive..

Btw, the sentence in my second paragraph is not true.
Vaelastraz is offline   you may:
Old 03-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #21
TSR
Hoist the colours!
 
TSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lincoln, England, UK
Posts: 2,777
Current Game: Rift
Forum Veteran LF Jester Helpful! 
Lying. On the internet.

Really?

I think a thread discussing the implications and effects of lying on forums is a bigger waste themselves than the topics it intended to deal with. So what if someone makes something up? You can be who the hell you want on the internet.

16/f/cal


British By Birth. English By The Grace Of God

Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori
Let Mercy Come
TSR is offline   you may:
Old 03-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #22
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I really don’t understand the topic. Do you want the staff to moderate lying? Without being 100% sure something was a lie I would be really uncomfortable doing that. I would rather error on the side the poster was telling the truth. Even if someone is lying and I know it, unless it is a special circumstance that could affects others following the poster lying advice or if the lie is about a member, I don’t really see what harm a lie on the internet could produce.
**I don't understand what you mean by this. If you can't convince me, then you aren't proving your point.**

I might give an example of lying made by a MODERATOR, but I can't make an implication, since I was sanctioned for it. I said he was a smart guy, but the implication was that I really meant 'only if he agreed with my side of the argument.' That's an implied insult.

I deserved to be sanctioned for that, but so did that moderator, who disregarded info that he once used to make an argument on another thread. That was low for a moderator. I hold no grudge for the one who issued the sanction, but for the mod who forced the opposite side of an argument to needlessly jump though hoops to provide info that he already knew... that's disruptive to any debate. (in my opinion, of course) << Just that could be regarded as an implication.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may:
Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #23
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
This sounds more and more like a complaint about a staff member. Complaints about staff should be directed to this forum. Thanks.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 03-06-2009, 01:26 AM   #24
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,046
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
**I don't understand what you mean by this. If you can't convince me, then you aren't proving your point.**
I don't have to convince you of anything. My point was "I" would not be comfortable moderating if a member was lying or not. My point had nothing to do with you or anyone else.

Besides that my only point was asking you, your point for making this thread.

Last edited by mimartin; 03-06-2009 at 11:04 AM.
mimartin is offline   you may:
Old 03-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #25
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,250
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
could would might fright light beep boob pee poop

Is this thread trying to implicate something, or telling us lies?

Because it's neither making a definite statement, nor giving hard facts.


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #26
machievelli
Local curmudgeon
 
machievelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 2,817
Current Game: Dungeonseige series
Hot Topic Starter Veteran Fan Fic Author Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
In a discussion of facts, lying is hard to pull when you provide sources for your claims. Twisted statements, statistics, that sort of stuff, while misleading, is not really lying. And most people who just say "ZOMG ADSHOIANONFASND!!!!" without backing up their claims are ignored. So, that problem is readily solved.
The comment doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The definition of 'fact' is truth. As an example, I was in a political argument about the ongoing Iraq war with someone and he trotted out the 'the US supplied chemical weapons to Iraq' line. I answered with the SIPRI (Stockholm International Peace Research Institute) report. He first answered 'it may be fact, but that doesn't make it the truth', then used an opposing editorial written during the Gulf war which used statements taken out of context to 'prove' his claim.

To me a twisted statement is a lie. And as for statistics, you can prove anything with them by just using the factors you want to use and ignoring everything else. If you are using it as a sounding board, that is good. But when you hold it up as proof, I prefer cold hard facts.


'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

From the one who brought you;
What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Star Wars: The Beginning
Star Wars: Republic Dawn
Return From Exile

Last edited by machievelli; 06-01-2009 at 10:59 AM.
machievelli is offline   you may:
Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #27
vanir
Forumite
 
vanir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: south of Gundagai
Posts: 632
I've learned myself over time I can get too hooked up in a particular forum. When I start getting too emotional about it, like overly concerned about what other forum members are thinking I found I just need a break for a bit. I'm tying myself up in knots of virtual interaction and what's the point?
If it was a physical interaction, well then they might be wrong or I might be wrong, but on the internet I think it's a matter of when it bothers you, walk away. Why stress? The thing about the internet is people can post without pause, they can be very offensive by simply being arrogant or dismissive towards you personally (I think it's okay to be such about impersonal subject material though I may not do that myself or like it, it's not offensive per se to be ignorant or in turn to be called on that), where in person when you offend someone you see the look of disappointment and the other sees the look of guilt. You can win an argument in person and still lose because you're wrong and you know it, or you're lying and you know it and so does the other party even if they can't word it immediately or in a witty fashion. Witty people can often win arguments when they're completely wrong, usually by tying up the other party in knots. But at least in person it is obvious someone is getting manipulated by argumentative behaviour whereas this takes a severe amount of experience to recognise in correspondance, a desperate reply from someone who knows what they're on about in the face of an argumentative party can easily look like they're the one starting an argument. In person this is far less likely to be the case, because we can all see exactly at which statements you began to flush red, and note that they were in fact a bit harsh and irrelevent, and the smirk on the arguer who achieved this as he spake clearly signifying it was his intention, or at the very least he is getting off on simply upsetting someone and the sense of power to it.

On the internet you can use self delusion, ie. make believe or "lying" as you put it, as a tool, where it may not apply except in the company of the particularly innocent/ignorant in RL. I've answered ridiculous arguments with a simple look before, and the establishment was obvious to all witnesses, but this can either be faked or fail to implicate on the 'net. Some things like conscience are easier to ignore in a virtual environment and often this is a very large part of feeling offended on the 'net.

So for this reason alone, though many others I'm sure, where you feel bothered by a forum, take a break for a bit. Simply put there's nothing you can do about it and there's no point shortening your life to the manipulations of the callous at heart. Or just as bad, by misreading or misinterpreting perfectly fine intentions.
vanir is offline   you may:
Old 06-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #28
Blix
Veteran
 
Blix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Aboard the Ravager
Posts: 866
Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
I think it's difficult to discern when someone's lying or being truthful on a forum unless you know them somewhat well enough to know better or at least enough to be suspicious, since the internet allows one enough sources to be able to provide false information to others online to either troll or just to get attention. I know at least one forum that takes the cake for that, I won't say the name out of respect for Lucas Forums but it definitely exists it isn't a fantasy.


Blix is offline   you may:
Old 06-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #29
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by machievelli View Post
To me a twisted statement is a lie. And as for statistics, you can prove anything with them by just using the factors you want to use and ignoring everything else. If you are using it as a sounding board, that is good. But when you hold it up as proof, I prefer cold hard facts.
A similar issue I've encountered are two-on-one opposition debates. When one person presents a series of posts to make a point, then a counter argument can be made to the validity of the facts. When there are two or more people back a side, it has a snowballing effect where the opposition can't attack because someone else made the statement.

Example: If I presented statistics in a thread and someone else makes a point by twisting what I presented into something completely different, it can't be opposed because that person didn't make the original statement. If I made that same statement, then I would lose because I presented the original statistics in the first place.

Multiple people debating for the same side mutually compliment one another, but inevitably causes what is termed 'group think.'
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may:
Old 06-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #30
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Example: If I presented statistics in a thread and someone else makes a point by twisting what I presented into something completely different, it can't be opposed because that person didn't make the original statement. If I made that same statement, then I would lose because I presented the original statistics in the first place.
Arguments can always be opposed if either A)you disagree with them on principle or B)you take issue with how something is being presented. I don't see how you cannot oppose someone's argument just b/c you think or feel they've twisted your statistics to make a counterargument or new argument altogether. That they didn't make the original argument/statement doesn't make their position unassailable. My guess is that it may become a bit disorienting combating multiple posters as you may might begin to conflate your opponent's arguments and mistake who made which specific claim. Shouldn't be a problem if you address each poster individually.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may:
Old 06-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #31
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Well I would have given some actual examples of what I've had to address, but I'm not at liberty to present them.

Whether or not an argument is won to me is irrelevant, but if I fail to make my point; that DOES NOT mean that the opposition must be so. What I loathe to an extreme level are people who don't actually present a convincing counter-argument and then assume that they've disproven a point, attack the opposite side by using that assumption, and at that point(true or not) it would blackball anyone who thinks differently.

At that point, no one would actually look at the evidence anymore. The term 'blackball' isn't used properly, just note that.

Last edited by Darth_Yuthura; 06-11-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may:
Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #32
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Just b/c more than one person might disagree with you doesn't inherently marginalize your point. I've noticed that what gets people in trouble, though, is the heatedness with which they disagree. When arguments become personal, the debate has pretty much ended b/c neither side is really interested in hearing the other's positions. Sometimes you've just got to agree to disagree and disengage, especially in a forum like this, b/c it has no real impact on your personal life (save whatever you choose to give it).

But you're going to have to accept that this will happen anyway. It's a public forum and your opposition may see your arguments the same way and react similiarly. A bitter pill, perhaps, but one of the side effects of "free speech". Just present your arguments and understand that others are going to disagree with you. That and it's not the end of the world. Don't assume that b/c the other guy gets the last word (or that you do) that it is definitive. People will make up their own minds.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman

Last edited by Totenkopf; 06-11-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Totenkopf is offline   you may:
Old 06-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #33
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Well I intensely dislike it not when the opposite side disagrees with me, but when they turn the debate from an intellectual process into a heated match where they hold to something and refuse to believe anything else. And from that to assume everything else is wrong and to fight it so people see things their way instead of letting them make their own judgments.

In one recent debate I've had, a person presented anecdotal evidence for actual proof and essentially put his one perspective above everything else. I have nothing against those who've served in the military; they show great courage when they step up to defend the state, but that does not mean their perspective automatically is worth more when they speak of issues that go beyond their experiences. If a soldier talks about a political issue of which he didn't participate in, he cannot say his word is worth more than another's because he wasn't there.

If the issue were about Dragon Skin armour and he had worn it, he can make a statement about his experience right there about its performance. The problem is that if he starts spouting off about the military's testing of DS, he would make claims and use himself as a first-hand reference for everything on that topic when he's not. He could talk about his experience for wearing DS once, but that is as far as it goes.

The problem I encounter most often in an argument is how people paint the opposite side badly and hold to a certain belief, but go so far as to proclaim that they know better than the opposite side. I would yield to the word of a US soldier who's actually been in war, but not when he would use that status as a shield by which to make any claims he wants. (This isn't about anyone on this site, just in case you're wondering)

When that happens to anyone happening to see the thread, I would expect any reasonable person to back him because he does know more about battle than I; but actually didn't know that much about the topic being argued.

Last edited by Darth_Yuthura; 06-12-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may:
Old 06-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #34
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,046
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Disagreement with opinion does not equal lying. Everyone is entitled to their opinion be it right or wrong.


mimartin is offline   you may:
Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #35
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Disagreement with opinion does not equal lying. Everyone is entitled to their opinion be it right or wrong.
Not when a person uses their opinion as fact. Then it is worth nothing.

If a person comes to a different conclusion, I want to know WHY they did; not THAT they did. If they can't explain why, then their opinion has no teeth in an argument. If they still submit it as evidence, then they are lying.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may:
Old 06-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #36
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Lying is a very specific verb. If you are intentionally misleading someone, then you are lying. If you are sticking to your opinion based on information you believe to be true, that's your opinion. It may or may not be an incorrect opinion, but being mistaken is very different from lying.

This is a discussion forum. If you want to know why someone has an opinion different from yours, then ask them politely why. You might learn some interesting things, even if you don't end up changing your opinion as a result.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 06-13-2009, 12:12 AM   #37
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,046
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Sounds like you are saying that anyone that does not agree with you or your sources opinion is lying. With all due respect I disagree. Someone can disagree with me and my sources and that does not make them a lair. I don’t even see that as making them less intelligent. However, disagreeing with fact is a different matter, but most of what we discuss here are opinions, not facts. Where is the fun in debating facts?



Last edited by mimartin; 06-13-2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: spelling
mimartin is offline   you may:
Old 06-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #38
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Sounds like you are saying that anyone that does not agree with your or your sources opinion is lying. With all due respect I disagree. Someone can disagree with me and my sources and that does not make them a lair. I donít even see that as making them less intelligent. However, disagreeing with fact is a different matter, but most of what we discuss here are opinions, not facts. Where is the fun in debating facts?
That is not what I am suggesting. Anyone who 'disproves' a source without offering an effective counter argument and proclaim that they are right is lying. Or at the very least, that person supplants the opposite side by pouring sand into their argument and offering nothing of value to the debate.

I'm not one to easily change my opinion, but only because I make one based on a solid foundation of proof. When I don't have that much proof to go on, my opinion is very flexible to change, and I don't put much value in that belief. If I did, I would be lying.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may:
Old 06-13-2009, 02:57 AM   #39
CommanderQ
I should go.
 
CommanderQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,630
Current Game: Mass Effect
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
That is not what I am suggesting. Anyone who 'disproves' a source without offering an effective counter argument and proclaim that they are right is lying. Or at the very least, that person supplants the opposite side by pouring sand into their argument and offering nothing of value to the debate.

I'm not one to easily change my opinion, but only because I make one based on a solid foundation of proof. When I don't have that much proof to go on, my opinion is very flexible to change, and I don't put much value in that belief. If I did, I would be lying.
I think perhaps we are delving too deep into the idea of lying. Now, if you had no value in an opinion you were stating, why are you stating it?

As Jae said, lying is a very specific verb. It's simply not truth. {That is the basic}

On the internet, as we've all found, it is extremely difficult to tell if someone is lying, especially if they are clever. But when it comes to a debate, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and to me, that in itself is a point. Do they need some sort of link or video to prove that point? They could, but then again, they don't have to. The only person they really need to prove it to is themselves, and that's all they need.

Now, it is good to have a firm foundation, and to know what you believe in, a good debater would do well to have sources at hand. But we cannot implicate someone to be lying if they do not provide ample proof online of their point.

Because they cannot provide ample proof, we can't just assume that they have no value in their opinion, or rather that their opinion has no value.


you very much
If a tree would fall in the woods.....would the other trees laugh at it?
CommanderQ is offline   you may:
Old 06-13-2009, 03:47 AM   #40
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,631
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
That is not what I am suggesting. Anyone who 'disproves' a source without offering an effective counter argument and proclaim that they are right is lying. Or at the very least, that person supplants the opposite side by pouring sand into their argument and offering nothing of value to the debate.
The problem here is that everyone is going to have a different idea of exactly what an 'effective counter argument' is. Is it right to say they're lying if you don't agree with their argument?

It's also the same with judging whether someone has added something to the debate - it's entirely opinion based.

It doesn't make them a liar.

Quote:
I'm not one to easily change my opinion, but only because I make one based on a solid foundation of proof. When I don't have that much proof to go on, my opinion is very flexible to change, and I don't put much value in that belief. If I did, I would be lying.
Forgive me if I misunderstood, but isn't that basically saying 'i'm right, and if you disagree, you're wrong?'






Astor is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Lying and Implications on a Forum

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.