lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: North Korea Warns of Nuclear War
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #41
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
He's just so "ronery" and he needs a friend...

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #42
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
It's perfect for them. If they manage to bait the president into a war, it would be at one of the worst possible times for us in terms of economics.

What would be the motivation NK has to make threats like this, besides KJII being crazy? Surely the NK military & government don't want to commit suicide.

It seems to me that NK would only be baiting the US into war if they had some sort of trap ready.

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #43
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I think President Obama is smart enough not to attack North Korea without direct provocation. Anything else would draw the ire of the Chinese and the rest of the international community.

If war breaks out on the Korean Peninsula it will because Kim Jong Il started it...not the United States.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #44
CommanderQ
I should go.

Current Game: Mass Effect
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
^^Well....they do have Chinese and Russian allies. And I imagine their economies aren't near half as bad as ours right now. Kim Jong Il is on the way out, that much is obvious, last year's stroke was the first sign, and we still have no word onto how much power Kim Jong has, or if he does have complete power, what is the state of his sanity?

This could also be the beginning of a shift in power. Someone may take advantage of Kim Jong Il's situation, and you never know, a coup de tat? This would be the time to do it.

Well, Arc, I agree with you that it seems that NK really wants war with the US, and we should be wary of what surprises NK may have in waiting. If war should come, NK could either be slaughtered...or become more powerful. We'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
He's just so "ronery" and he needs a friend...
Awww...poor wittle Kim doesn't have any fwiends to talk to... I wonder why?

you very much
If a tree would fall in the woods.....would the other trees laugh at it?
CommanderQ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #45
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderQ View Post
^^Well....they do have Chinese and Russian allies.
They may have more cordial relations with North Korea than the West, but Moscow and Beijing weren't too happy about the missile tests a few weeks ago.

Quote:
And I imagine their economies aren't near half as bad as ours right now. Kim Jong Il is on the way out, that much is obvious, last year's stroke was the first sign, and we still have no word onto how much power Kim Jong has, or if he does have complete power, what is the state of his sanity?
The man believe's he's irresistable to women. So i'd it's not looking good on the sanity front.

War may not be as inevitable as people think - this could all be a lot of posturing. But it's not like the US Government isn't ready to respond, with around 30,000 troops across the border in South Korea.

I don't think Pyongyang would be stupid enough to actually launch any kind of attack on anyone, but I guess we won't know what's going to happen for certain until next Saturday.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #46
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by Jae
NK has a lot of troops, and they may be decently trained for all I know, but with the strict sanctions on NK already, I'm not sure how well armed or even how well-fed they are. NK does not have the resources at all to fight a prolonged war. I think if there was a conflict, SK, the US, and the UN would steamroll through the country in a matter of weeks.
If by steamroll you mean getting to "misson acomplished" (as defined by your former president) then maybe, but the whole "millions" of soldiers and far better equpment than Iraq/Afghanistan means it'll be a lot of coffin ferries in use. Unless we opt for the nuke aproach.

Quote:
Originally posted by Web
And cutting off their hands. NOBODY, I repeat, nobody buys good from China in quantities even close to comparable to the US, and many of the things they make nobody but the US buys at all. Yeah, it would hurt us, we wouldn't get a lot of cheap goods, but honestly, we don't need most of the junk we buy from China anyway.
Err, you do, aside from the bond issue (China stops bying US bonds-> US enters a recession like this one^10). While you might not "need" some of what they export, it'll still cause inflation from hell. Both countries will be in deep ****, but the US will be far deeper.

Quote:
Originally posted by JediA
do you still think the Koreans are just talking or are they really trying to goad the United States into a war?
No war, but it might be benefical for them to have a little skirmish, pherhaps sending a few missiles over the border, or sink a couple of ships.

Quote:
originally posted by CQI'
m not sure that the North Koreans know what they are getting into.
Since Kim family has been doing stuff like this for decades, I'd say if anyone knows, it's Kim.

Quote:
Well....they do have Chinese and Russian allies.
No, they don't, let's take a look at some of the motivations for each of those two countries to be as "nice" to NK.

China: Shares a border, if NK collapse China gets milions of uneducated refugees which will be an enormous drain. It's also very much against intervening in what it considers soverreign countries as it fears that would leav it open to such interventions. It's also starting to flex its muscles as Asia's superpower, so American intervention is even worse for it than intervention in other places. Finaly, with SK being such a close US ally reunification will leave China with a semi-rival at its doorstep.

Russia: Russia is motivated primarly by A: the same dislike of (at least other countries) intervening in states, and to a much lesser extent B: the fact that showing America the middle finger is wonderfull domestic policy.

Neither is anywere close to an alliance.

Quote:
And I imagine their economies aren't near half as bad as ours right now.
Half right, China do a lot better than the US, Russia a lot worse.

Quote:
or if he does have complete power, what is the state of his sanity?
Sane, yes, predictable, no.

Quote:
This could also be the beginning of a shift in power. Someone may take advantage of Kim Jong Il's situation, and you never know, a coup de tat? This would be the time to do it.
Not sure if that'd be a good thing, but who knows.

Quote:
If war should come, NK could either be slaughtered...or become more powerful. We'll have to wait and see.
Hedge, hedge, hedge, though I'd love to hear how NK could become more powerfull after a war (a skirmish is does not a war make).

Quote:
Originally posted by Astor
The man believe's he's irresistable to women. So i'd it's not looking good on the sanity front.
When said women have been brainwashed into believing he is the Messiah.....
Not exactly insane.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > North Korea Warns of Nuclear War