lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: LucasArts Posters
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-27-2009, 03:03 AM   #321
purple_tentacle_

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamdi.com View Post
I've uploaded my KIXX scan now to http://scummgames.net/box.htm ...

It's 600dpi (rather than 1200dpi) - and no, no detail has been lost in this process (I had to do it at this level to preserve the fine detail correctly).

Here's a comparison to show you just how much more detail is in the KIXX box:

Ok dude these are huge! I wouldnt be surprised if they gave me nightmares!

http://www.lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=162626&dateline=12954  72528
"The Simple truth is that we've
lost control of our own borders,
and no nation can do that and survive"
-Ronald Reagan
purple_tentacle_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #322
Scapetti

Quote:
I already repaired the shape of the skull
Well, skulls aren't perfectly round but then again, I don't know what it's supposed to look like so you could be right

And Laserschwert, did you consider using

as a guideline for the clouds in your poster? (maybe you already did that but I just saw this and thought it would be a good idea)
Scapetti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #323
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
I didn't paint the clouds myself, I've used a photo for them. The clouds in the sketch look too cartoony though, and wouldn't fit the style of the final painting. And I'm no artist, so I can't translate from one style to another ;-)

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #324
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSpork View Post
I saw this thread a few weeks ago and I instantly went to posterxxl and printed them out. I was, however, saddened by the fact that there wasn't a Curse of Monkey Island poster... so I made my own. I figure this is the best place to post it (please be kind to my server).

Bigger preview
Full size download (60x80cm @ 200dpi)

I also took it upon myself to do two versions of a Grim Fandango poster. One with the slogan, and one without the slogan.

Bigger preview

Bigger preview

I hope you guys like them... I haven't received them back from the printers yet, so I don't know how they look at full size...

I'll accept any constructive criticism...
Does anyone have the Grim Fandango image mentioned here? There was also apparently an EMI poster that someone made as well. The download links aren't working so if anyone has them and can upload for me I'll appreciate it! (I know Laserschwert is intending to do all the posters, and he's posted WIPs of EMI already, but these will tide me over until his are available.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #325
Longcat

I think sanguinehearts made some EMI posters in laserschwertz thread over at the scummvm forums in the junkyard section. You can have a look there, I don't have time to find the exact post myself.
Longcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #326
Scapetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert View Post
I didn't paint the clouds myself, I've used a photo for them. The clouds in the sketch look too cartoony though, and wouldn't fit the style of the final painting. And I'm no artist, so I can't translate from one style to another ;-)
Well I just did a quick mock-up of what I meant:

I just very roughly selected out some of the cloud from the sketch. And then made the white transparant and stuck it on your poster. Then with a little opacity tweaking and other contrast and brightness tweaks I got that.

I didn't really bother to get too much into it because frankly, I think you can do a better job and you seem to enjoy taking up your time with it :P I'm sure it is quite easy to draw your own version of the sketch's cloud shape. All you need is the outline and then just sorta darken the bits behind the outline and you have simple clouds! Which will be a lot better than my copy, paste and tweak job :P

Edit: Damn, that looked A LOT better on my laptop screen XD That often happens with me. Like if I've mixed a song or something it will only sound good with MY earphones. I need to work out how I can avoid that :/

Last edited by Scapetti; 06-30-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:07 AM   #327
plamdi.com
Rookie

That "poster" is still built of my scan. That's why I've gone back to my original scan to try and make a full clean artwork. I'm using Laserschwert's tress and sky - and a little bit more but that may be all I end up using once complete. Here's how it's looking:

Keep in mind this is a work in progress. The orange section refers to a part of the image that will ultimatly contain the lower portion of the picture - I've removed the text over the crossbones using Laserschwert's image - but the skull I'm doing myself ... bit by bit. This is for the DVD cover I will release for the special edition (well the product clearly doesn't come with one, thus I shall give it to you).

-edit- I've added part of the missing bottom using a low-quality source (mainly to prove it can be done). I'll clone over it later the hardest part will be the monkey - the next hardest will be the plant on the left. There's only 3 things that need to be done: 1. remainder of text removed from skull. 2. bottom part of image extended. 3. sky at top extended (to complete DVD cover aspect ratio).

Last edited by plamdi.com; 06-30-2009 at 10:44 AM.
plamdi.com is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #328
purple_tentacle_

Hey how did u animate those posters?

http://www.lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=162626&dateline=12954  72528
-Ronald Reagan
Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #329
Longcat

Animate? WTF do you mean? Like an animated gif? I give you ... Google!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #330
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

His avatar is a .gif, so I don't quite think that's what he means.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #331
Longcat

Interesting. However, I sincerely doubt he made it himself. But I'm really looking forward to reading what he really meant.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #332
Sk-F
Rookie

Question

No offense, but why would you guys attempt so hard to remove what is an actual part of the MI poster? I believe the letters round the poster and without them, it feels empty and lacks impact (which isn't suprising; after all, it was drawed having them in mind).

Great work anyway; and despite what Lasershwert may think (heh), restoring & cleaning such big pictures IS art, and therefore you should be considered artists.

BTW: You guys should definitely update the thread and add this one (courtesy of parabolee)

The poster-sized version is right here: http://flat-life.com/temp/Monkey-Isl...-LSEdition.jpg

Pretty cool, although I don't like the big-eyed disney-like monkey.

Last edited by Sk-F; 06-30-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Sk-F is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #333
irishmile
Rookie

Great job everyone.... Can someone link the original so I can play too?
irishmile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #334
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_tentacle_ View Post
Hey how did u animate those posters?
It's an ancient technique called Voodoo. It's nothing to be played around with, though.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #335
Scapetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk-F View Post
No offense, but why would you guys attempt so hard to remove what is an actual part of the MI poster?
Well I could say the same about the changing of Guybrush's face in the poster you linked to, surely Guybrush is pretty integral XD And there is a version with the logo still.

It's just that the Monkey Island 2 poster looks so cool without the logo that it seemed only appropriate to do the same for the first game, am I right?
Old 07-01-2009, 04:05 AM   #336
plamdi.com
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk-F View Post
No offense, but why would you guys attempt so hard to remove what is an actual part of the MI poster? I believe the letters round the poster and without them, it feels empty and lacks impact (which isn't suprising; after all, it was drawed having them in mind).
Have you seen the posters here:

http://scummgames.net/posters.htm

Look at the first poster - it has no text in it whatsoever (but the image is cropped on the left and top and possibly the other sides).

Anyone you asked why... well it's so I can do this:

(Create a DVD cover for the SE using the origin al artwork). The SE logo looks a little squashed compared to the original, I might vertically stretch it.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 AM   #337
Tower Five
Rookie

Current Game: Fate of Atlantis
I really don't like the new logo at all, it feels too cluttered and intentionally 'raggedy'.

The original logo is clean, crisp, bold and really shows off its intentions well.
Tower Five is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #338
plamdi.com
Rookie

Well I really don't like "dl only" releases. At least I'm doing something about it and people can choose to print one of my covers if they wish to keep a hard copy.

By the way, I'm surprised at how fast my new page (scummgames.net/posters) has been indexed by Google: http://images.google.com/images?imgs...ey+island+scan

This is good, because that is one way of drawing visitors to the site.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #339
Kenko
Rookie

Quote:
Look at the first poster - it has no text in it whatsoever (but the image is cropped on the left and top and possibly the other sides).
The first poster in your link is only cropped at the top. It has the bottom part you are trying to add to your cover, it also shows a little bit more on the left side.
Kenko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #340
plamdi.com
Rookie

The bottom part is not going to be that difficuilt to add. I have a guide for every part of it:

Laserschwert already did most of the monkey, the rest is much easier. I don't know how much more is on the original painting - but if the sketch is anything to go by not much.

Don't forget I filled in the KIXX MI2 scan as well... this is what it looked like after blending it with the bottom of the LEC Box:

And it came out brilliantly!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #341
Kenko
Rookie

Your image look a little bit stretched compared to Laserschwert's poster, kind of like when your 16:9 TV stretches a tv-show that is supposed to be 4:3. You should fix that.

Also, do you think it is possible to add the extra part on the left side that is on the first poster you linked to earlier? (http://scummgames.net/posters.htm)
Old 07-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #342
plamdi.com
Rookie

Yeah I just resized it wrong (had "maintain aspect ratio" unchecked). I've done it with the last three images, but it's all good. There really isn't much to add on the left hand side (or the right hand side), I don't see the point. You see the rest of the cannibal's stick but that's about all. I may do it at a later time, it's certainly possible - in fact here's the left hand side anyway:

(Correct Size). And you can see I've removed even more of the text on the skull now. I'm doing it myself because I want better quality. It is tedious to do it right.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #343
Kenko
Rookie

Ok, I really hope you add the left-side part, I also hope Laserschwert will add it to his poster.

BTW, what do you mean with better quality? Are you using a scan from the KIXX box?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #344
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
Interesting. However, I sincerely doubt he made it himself. But I'm really looking forward to reading what he really meant.
No I did make it myself. Totaly Custom. Sorry I thought one was animated but it wasnt. My mistake.

-Ronald Reagan
Old 07-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #345
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Five View Post
I really don't like the new logo at all, it feels too cluttered and intentionally 'raggedy'.

The original logo is clean, crisp, bold and really shows off its intentions well.
I like the new one. I like the tatered look.

-Ronald Reagan
Old 07-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #346
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert View Post
It's an ancient technique called Voodoo. It's nothing to be played around with, though.
I dont get that...

-Ronald Reagan
Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #347
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

I do. It's okay, though, I have some ointment.
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #348
purple_tentacle_

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fealiks View Post
I do. It's okay, though, I have some ointment.
I dont get any of ur posts.

-Ronald Reagan
Old 07-03-2009, 04:26 AM   #349
LordTrilobite

Quote:
I dont get any of ur posts.
Ever heard of jokes or sarcasm?

LordTrilobite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 04:28 AM   #350
irishmile
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordTrilobite View Post
Ever heard of jokes or sarcasm?
I think I read about them in a magazine.... there weren't any pictures so it was hard to follow.
irishmile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #351
QueZTone
mind il creativo

parabolee's MI:SE poster should be in the opening post yeah... but without the 'credits' at the bottom left.... please remove those?

(i dont see Laserschwaert doing that... thankfully )

QueZTone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #352
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
I dont get that...
VOODOO. You know, voodoo dolls. The International House of Mojo. The Voodoo Priestess.

You know... VOODOO

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #353
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

I don't get how so many monkey island fans are confused by the word "vooboo"... i mean, it's even easy to remember.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #354
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
I'm confused by vooboo too... I'm NOT confused by voodoo though... you know, with the voo and the doo...

Old 07-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #355
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

It's voogoo you idiot.

Wait, or is it voolo?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #356
TalynBigfoot
Rookie

Well, not to interrupt the voodoo/vooboo/voojoo/etc. conversation, but I just figured that I would share my Full Throttle poster that I finally had printed up.

I had it done at posterXXL and decided that I would experiment with the colors on it since a lot of people have said that they are just too contrasty from there. I backed off the contrast 15 points (according to the Gimp) and sent that in. The picture I got back was about as close to the original as it could get.

Here is a picture of it all framed and done!: (keep in mind, my camera actually makes the picture look less contrasty than it really is in real life, hah you'll just have to trust me that it came out nearly perfect!)

I got the frame for $9.17 at Michaels today, marked down from $16.99 too!

Thanks Laserschwert!
TalynBigfoot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #357
Guy.brush
Rookie

Is that the new and improved FT artwork or the original?
Guy.brush is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #358
TalynBigfoot
Rookie

It was one of the new and improved ones
TalynBigfoot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #359
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

Looks brilliant! Nice and professional.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #360
purple_tentacle_

Dude thats pretty sweet. Z

-Ronald Reagan
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > LucasArts Posters