lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Google developing its own Operating System
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Google developing its own Operating System

"In what is certain to be the biggest tech story of the summer, Google is finally making official what has been rumored for years: It will create its own computer operating system, Chrome OS, slated for release in late 2010."

-From Yahoo! tech blog full article here: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/146051

What do you guys think? Will google's Linux based OS be able to take on Windows?

I kind of doubt it myself, even though Mac has had some success in the last few years. I think PC manufacturers would be hesitant to sell their products with an OS that few people know how to use.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Mac OS would be better competition for Windows if Apple made it compatible with Windows software and quit chaining it to their criminally overpriced hardware.

Anywho, even with Google behind it, unless it's a better Windows than Windows, Chrome OS doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
jrrtoken

I don't understand why Google is developing a whole new OS when they could simply do a Linux distro. Sure, Chrome OS is based on the Linux kernel, but that doesn't make it Linux proper. So, now developers have to write entirely new ports of software, whereas they could simply build packages to conform to specific distros, like with most GPL'd Linux software.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
I don't understand why Google is developing a whole new OS when they could simply do a Linux distro. Sure, Chrome OS is based on the Linux kernel, but that doesn't make it Linux proper. So, now developers have to write entirely new ports of software, whereas they could simply build packages to conform to specific distros, like with most GPL'd Linux software.
I'm actually pretty happy that they're not just going with pure Linux, the GPL hinders commercial as well as open source (see the debacle with Sun's ZFS filesystem for an example) development for Linux unless you release your software under the GPL (cutting out other licenses such as nearly any license that wasn't written by a University or some neckbeard). Furthermore, I'm sick of the goals of many distros, in addition to the FSF, being way off base when it comes to their priorities -- I'm sorry if thinking Linux should work out of the box with most hardware, and maybe even have a complete re-writing of the Wifi codebase, in particular the encryption, before people start working on open-source BIOSs and re-writing free, though proprietary software is insane.

There are 2 things on this list that actually should be on this list, coupled with re-writes of existing software so there can be GPL'd versions of it for some reason.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Google Chrome OS will be open source though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
I don't understand why Google is developing a whole new OS when they could simply do a Linux distro.
But they don't want another distro. They want something totally different. A new attempt on computer systems. An OS for an ever and always online computer, with cloud computing as one of the major buzzwords, for instance.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Whilst having another choice must be applauded, the (MS and Linux) fanboys that are using this as another opportunity to ruminate on how Osource and Windows are in a state of murderous war must be thrown off various sharp cliffs.

10 ways google chrome can kill off windows

Google Chrome OS for netbooks vs Windows 7 vs iPhone/OSX: FIGHT!

and earlier on in the picture...

Windows 7 will kill desktop Linux?

Why are these geeky dragonslayers always so obsessed with killing each others OS

They all serve a purpose, for different sets of users. If you like gaming, then windows will always be relevant to you. I personally am glad MS promotes gaming on windows(as opposed to Apple with Mac OS)

Quite frankly, if pcs were stll mainly for work/word processing, I'd still be using my amiga 500

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 07-09-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Lord of the Sith
Rookie

It will be a complete failure. Google Crome as web browser is ok but I think Windows and especially Windows 7 is the best around. I dubt google will be able to do better.
Lord of the Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
^Whether or not they make a better OS...there's no doubting the hold MS has on the majority of the market (especially w/ businesses).

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
rushalo
Banned

Thumbs up About the hosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
"In what is certain to be the biggest tech story of the summer, Google is finally making official what has been rumored for years: It will create its own computer operating system, Chrome OS, slated for release in late 2010."

-From Yahoo! tech blog full article here: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/146051

What do you guys think? Will google's Linux based OS be able to take on Windows?

I kind of doubt it myself, even though Mac has had some success in the last few years. I think PC manufacturers would be hesitant to sell their products with an OS that few people know how to use.
Hello myself rushal. and i working on the web hosting and i want to talk about the NOURL4U-SPAMMER! . can you tell me about how we can host the any site.
Thanks.
edit:bill

Last edited by acdcfanbill; 02-07-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: remove spam url
rushalo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Sith View Post
It will be a complete failure. Google Crome as web browser is ok but I think Windows and especially Windows 7 is the best around. I dubt google will be able to do better.
It isn't going to be in the mainstream desktop market, so that isn't a valid comparison. It will occupy a space in the netbook/smartbook market, with devices that need to do a bit more than android supports.

Hexxehs Chrome OS build now auto updates. I run it on my tablet PC on virtual box. Whilst I miss the handwriting input W7 allows, if there was a tailor made device and interface for text, it's quite a nifty interface. They're not going to take over the world, but they can carve out their own niche if they price things right and have decent battery life

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Google developing its own Operating System