lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: First-person shooters: PC or Console?
PC (the correct answer) 126 77.78%
Console (the wrong answer) 36 22.22%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: First-person shooters: PC or Console?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #41
mattig89ch

iunno....I would go with consoles. but thats just because thats what my friends and I play. Still a tough call though

Quote:
528) ... and you make her do it half naked, in undies only. o.O ... and you extend this to your female boss
583 - Your female boss agrees
530) Your boss thinks you nuts for trying to wield a lightsaber
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #42
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
PC, but some games I did like better. Xbox pwns PS2/3 and Wii.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #43
Darth Eclipse

Current Game: Crysis 2,Dead Space2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
Are first-person shooters better for you on a PC or a console? (Note there is only one correct answer to this question).
FPS games, in my opinion, are WAY better on consoles. They are more simple, more immersive, and BETTER GRAPHICS! The only thing better about FPS games on PCs is mods.

Darth Eclipse is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #44
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Eclipse View Post
They are more simple,
...and that's supposed to be a good thing?
Quote:
more immersive,
The most "immersive" FPS that I've ever played was System Shock 2... and that was on a PC.
Quote:
and BETTER GRAPHICS!
And I raise you Crysis.

You have failed. Have a nice day.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #45
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Eclipse View Post
They are more simple
More simple? How is this possible? Aren't they the same game?

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #46
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
More simple? How is this possible? Aren't they the same game?
I guess he's referring to the fact that there are fewer buttons on a controller than there are keys on a keyboard? I could argue that that actually makes it more complicated...

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #47
mattig89ch

I would disagree. That makes it easier, because there is less button combinations. just the basic shoot, jump, crouch, switch weapon, move, and some others (don't remember any other commands), which is all you really need in an FPS.

Quote:
528) ... and you make her do it half naked, in undies only. o.O ... and you extend this to your female boss
Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #48
CommanderQ
I should go.

Current Game: Mass Effect
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I say PC. With the right setup and a good graphics card, a computer can show so much more, add so much more detail, and make the game even more enjoyable. Far superior to the console, which can only go so far, as the PC can be modified and created to be a super computer..bwahahaah!!

you very much
If a tree would fall in the woods.....would the other trees laugh at it?
CommanderQ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #49
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
Crysis.

You have failed. Have a nice day.
Game. Set. Match. PastramiX, well done!

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #50
Cmdr. Cracken
Disciple of Megatron

Current Game: Starcraft II,College
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
I'm divided.

One one hand, I was raised on the keyboard and mouse aiming system and do ok with that.

However, CoD4 and Halo3 taught me to use the thumb sticks fairly efficiantly. I suck with both, really.

I vote the third hidden option: Both?

Cmdr. Cracken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2009, 02:00 AM   #51
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
FPS = PC, in my mind. Console joysticks work better for games where you run around in third-person, but you can't have first-person without WASD.

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2009, 02:08 AM   #52
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
Well...every first person shooter except for Halo has been better on PC...Halo is the only exception to the rule.
I like them for pc but am more confortable on my console. I am into the adventure games for pc.

http://www.lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=162626&dateline=12954  72528
"The Simple truth is that we've
lost control of our own borders,
and no nation can do that and survive"
-Ronald Reagan
purple_tentacle_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #53
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFish View Post
Just a small clarification:

PS2 > Xbox
Xbox 360 > PS3

Wii doesn't compare to anything else.

m'kay

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #54
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFish View Post
Just a small clarification

Dude wii is the most popular right now and it is ontop of the market. Wii and PS3 are both the best right now. Xbox is just old crap. The 360 is way better than the original xbox. so dont say that its better than the wii. Oh and every one is tired of the xbox and the 360. It was fun at first but now its just the same, a bunch of punks walking around with a xbox shirt on tlaking about Halo or Gears of war and they all have there head in a hole.

m'kay

http://www.lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=162626&dateline=12954  72528
-Ronald Reagan
Old 07-13-2009, 04:06 AM   #55
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_tentacle_ View Post
Dude wii is the most popular right now and it is ontop of the market. Wii and PS3 are both the best right now. Xbox is just old crap. The 360 is way better than the original xbox. so dont say that its better than the wii. Oh and every one is tired of the xbox and the 360. It was fun at first but now its just the same, a bunch of punks walking around with a xbox shirt on tlaking about Halo or Gears of war and they all have there head in a hole.
There is so much fail in this post. So much fail.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #56
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
There is so much fail in this post. So much fail.
No, he has some merit.

At least with the Wii the remote is mapped similar to a mouse; i.e., you don't have to spend all of the time actually aiming with an analog stick, you can just point and click, like a mouse. Now, it's not as accurate or intuitive as a mouse, but it's still leaps and bounds better over any analog stick, where you actually spend more time lining up shots than actually firing them. Same goes for the DS's touchscreen.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #57
mattig89ch

hm, well the PC has thepotential to show so much more. But the average person who uses a PC finds themsleves behind the curve and lacking the hardware required to show the best of the best graphics....thats another reason why I like the console, almost always garenteed to work and show some really good graphics. Not the best, no, but almost...

Quote:
Old 07-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #58
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
No, he has some merit.

At least with the Wii the remote is mapped similar to a mouse; i.e., you don't have to spend all of the time actually aiming with an analog stick, you can just point and click, like a mouse. Now, it's not as accurate or intuitive as a mouse, but it's still leaps and bounds better over any analog stick, where you actually spend more time lining up shots than actually firing them. Same goes for the DS's touchscreen.
It would have merit if he actually said that in his post. All I read was 'lol xbox sucks because it sucks lol'.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #59
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
come on, this one is a no brainer. there's just no way that you're going to match the speed and precision of a mouse compared to the clumsy, auto-aiming joystick. the difference is just amazing when you compare the exact same game on the PC to any console.

the difference becomes even more apparent when you get into multiplayer where speed and precision become that much more important. nabbing a headshot on one person and quickly turning around because you're taking damage from the rear borders on the impossible when it comes to consoles.

so, yeah, no contest: mouse and keyboard pwns joysticks (aka, consoles).

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #60
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
come on, this one is a no brainer. there's just no way that you're going to match the speed and precision of a mouse compared to the clumsy, auto-aiming joystick. the difference is just amazing when you compare the exact same game on the PC to any console.

the difference becomes even more apparent when you get into multiplayer where speed and precision become that much more important. nabbing a headshot on one person and quickly turning around because you're taking damage from the rear borders on the impossible when it comes to consoles.

so, yeah, no contest: mouse and keyboard pwns joysticks (aka, consoles).
Ya I like the speed of the mouse and the accuracy. But I am still more comfortable with my console.

-Ronald Reagan
Old 07-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #61
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Unless a good game gets created on the console and then the PC port is butchered, it's always going to end up that the PC version will be equal, if not better potentially, because you have the choice of controls (since after all, you can use all sorts of controllers on a PC, not just mouse+keys, and via programmable buttons and emulation, you can use just about anything even if the game doesn't support it officially), there's the possibility of mods (note I say possibility, since not all games permit it)... and at least until recently, the possibility of official updates and online play were possibly ONLY on the PC (still, the few games that do have the latter are generally poorly supported on the console that I've seen, by comparison).

A few consoles do give the ability to use mouse+keys for FPS games, however as consoles use fixed hardware, the possibility exists, that over time the PC user will be able to get upgraded hardware, better performance and then surpass the reflexes (and thus skill) possible in the FPS title if it were on the console (witness such a disparity eventually surfacing in Quake3 on the Dreamcast vs. the PC).

One good thing about console FPS games is the near universal way they've accepted voice chat in recent years, though I'm sure people will point to the downsides of that too.

But yeah, unless the creators sabotage their own game, the PC version will meet or exceed the bar set by any console FPS.

Given the price ranges of the latest crop of consoles, this makes the whole debate about hardware that much more silly IMHO... sure the latest PC games have steep requirements, but once you shell out all the expense for consoles to get up to speed, you might as well have bought a decent PC. Right? (and nevermind scalable graphics)

I love consoles too, but let's face it... for FPS games, PCs win, period.

PS: The WII is pretty popular with people I know (doesn't mean it's the best of course or with people you know). Most adults I know who still play console games own a WII (not a 360 or PS3, at best they'll have a PS2 if they even still play it). It appears essentially to be a souped up Gamecube with gimmicky controller options (nothing wrong with that), that combined with the lower price appeals to casual gamers (which outnumber hardcore gamers, who at least until recently, were more likely to go PC-only anyway).

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #62
purifier
Forumite

LF Jester 
PC or Console

I almost didn't catch it when I read the question, it's a old nerd tech joke man.

Can anybody say: Console Window!

You know - the thing that drops down on your PC during a game that your playing, you hit the tidle key, type in cheats, etc.

And the PC, well that's obvious is it not.

Good One..... Rogue Nine.

Ooops.

You know what! Apparently I still didn't catch it, well sort of.

I still believe that it's a tech joke, but not the one that I'm thinking of.

Ok, let me see - you are refering to the console as the game video console and the PC as the Player Controls.

In which case you wouldn't play any game with just a console, you would play with the Player Controls. So the right and only answer would be the PC.

Am I right? Or am I just being an idiot and overthinking this?

SITH HAPPENS

Last edited by purifier; 07-21-2009 at 12:10 PM.
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #63
Tobias Reiper
Spah creepin' around here

Current Game: Various Games.
LucasCast staff 
Am I the ONLY one here who says Console?
But when I say console. I only mean the 360, my reason being this:
When you play with a keyboard, controls and keys are spread out, and you need to have, like me, a photographic memory, so that you can remember where every key is on the keyboard and not mess up by hitting the key to put your reload then have to scramble for the right key when you mean to move away from the enemy in tense fighting moments.
However the 360's Controller keeps the buttons simple and easy to remember, I can use half the buttons with my thumb alone, and it's pretty much well... better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purifier View Post
Ooops.

You know what! Apparently I still didn't catch it, well sort of.

I still believe that it's a tech joke, but not the one that I'm thinking of.

Ok, let me see - you are refering to the console as the game video console and the PC as the Player Controls.

In which case you wouldn't play any game with just a console, you would play with the Player Controls. So the right and only answer would be the PC.

Am I right? Or am I just being an idiot and overthinking this?
You're overthinking or Rogue's just trying to trick us:
PC is used to refer to Computers, so he's asking us if we think First Person Shooters are better on say... the Xbox or on the Computer.

"There is no way to be better than everyone else, but being kind and having a sense of humor certainly helps." -Me, my quote on life.
Tobias Reiper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #64
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper View Post
Am I the ONLY one here who says Console?
But when I say console. I only mean the 360, my reason being this:
When you play with a keyboard, controls and keys are spread out, and you need to have, like me, a photographic memory, so that you can remember where every key is on the keyboard and not mess up by hitting the key to put your reload then have to scramble for the right key when you mean to move away from the enemy in tense fighting moments.
However the 360's Controller keeps the buttons simple and easy to remember, I can use half the buttons with my thumb alone, and it's pretty much well... better.
I'll assume you have played a PC FPS before, but seriously, it's not like people who play on the PC are constantly struggling with controls. If you play FPS's on the PC, you know what you're doing. You don't need a photographic memory at all. You're basically describing the experience of someone completely new to PC FPS's, which everyone has to go through, console or PC.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #65
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Neutral

Who still has (and plays with) NES Zapper and Super Scope 6?

(And certain "adaptations" or incarnations of these games where the mouse replaces these perpihperals are prohibited on this site! )

GTA games take a bit of adjusting to on the PC (definitely meant to be played w/ a controller). However, I like Orange Box on the PC--and I'm gonna love Garry's Mod once I have resource enough to get it.

Yeah go ahead and give crap--I'm still not changing my mind and wish for a third option: apathy.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #66
Hawkstrong16

PC. I use a tracball mouse so its so easy to aim, fire, run like hell(depending on the game) I can beat some of my friends who use a controller when we play online and they are far better then I am, but the PC makes it faster and easier to respond

Camo-Man 07 Now Known As Hawkstrong16

90% of teens today would die if myspace or facebook had a system failure. If you are one of the 10% that would sit and laugh copy this to your signature.
92% precent of teens today have moved on to rap. If you are one of the 8% that still rock out copy this to your signature

May The Force Be With You, Always
Hawkstrong16 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2009, 05:21 AM   #67
Tobias Reiper
Spah creepin' around here

Current Game: Various Games.
LucasCast staff 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man_2423 View Post
I'll assume you have played a PC FPS before, but seriously, it's not like people who play on the PC are constantly struggling with controls. If you play FPS's on the PC, you know what you're doing. You don't need a photographic memory at all. You're basically describing the experience of someone completely new to PC FPS's, which everyone has to go through, console or PC.
I can still guarantee that anyone new to PC FPS's really should give up, because people on CS:S have godly reflexes and cut you down the instant you expose your cheeky little face.

"There is no way to be better than everyone else, but being kind and having a sense of humor certainly helps." -Me, my quote on life.
Tobias Reiper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2009, 01:47 AM   #68
Kado Sunrider

Current Game: KotOR, again.
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
all of you are dead wrong. Point and click isnt a first person shooter, its a first person sit on your ass and move your hand and click the button. If you want a real FPS you have to go out to your local arcade and play those Jurassic Park and other games where you hold the gun in your hand, point at the screen and pull the trigger. Other than that, your just kidding yourselves.

/endrant

Chapter 12 of Renewal released!

Chapter 2 of Heir to the Force released!
Kado Sunrider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #69
kaputcha
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado Sunrider View Post
all of you are dead wrong. Point and click isnt a first person shooter, its a first person sit on your ass and move your hand and click the button. If you want a real FPS you have to go out to your local arcade and play those Jurassic Park and other games where you hold the gun in your hand, point at the screen and pull the trigger. Other than that, your just kidding yourselves.

/endrant
Awesome! You just failed so hard!
kaputcha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #70
Akaan Par'jila
Banned

Current Game: COD2
Definatley PC. I can't stand FP shooters on consoles
Akaan Par'jila is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #71
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
I'm going to commit heresy, I like FPS games more on consoles. I enjoy Half-Life 2 on the 360 as much as I enjoy it on the PC. Maybe even more....
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > LucasForums Poll > First-person shooters: PC or Console?