lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Lucas Arts Rogue book!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-28-2009, 03:45 AM   #41
Lagomorph01
Rookie

I think it's just a mistake made by the book.
I read that it was by Purcell, and it made me think how he changed his whole drawing style.
His style is pretty familiar to me, and I didn't see anything that resembled it in the picture.
Now that I see that this one is made by Chan, I just think it's one of the little errors in the book.
Chan did most of the artwork anyway, including the box art.
Is there a high res version of this one? I'd like it as a poster.

Bound only by the paper thin wrapper of mortality, a soul here lies, struggling to be free, and so it will thanks to a bowl of bad gazpacho and a man named Calavera!
Lagomorph01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2009, 03:59 AM   #42
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Obviously you don't know my poster thread over at the ScummVM-forums

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2009, 06:28 AM   #43
Lagomorph01
Rookie

Wow, that's a really great thread!
I love you and I want to have your baby.
Until then, I'm gonna get printing these out.

How did you get the ones without the lettering?

Bound only by the paper thin wrapper of mortality, a soul here lies, struggling to be free, and so it will thanks to a bowl of bad gazpacho and a man named Calavera!
Lagomorph01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #44
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
That writing-less MI2 poster is highly approved by Thrik. ;

Is there actually a good place in the UK you can get these printed and mailed?

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #45
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagomorph01 View Post
Wow, that's a really great thread!
I love you and I want to have your baby.

How did you get the ones without the lettering?
You want my baby? Aren't the posters enough??

I did the ones without the lettering mostly by myself, using several different sources to touch those parts of the images up. It was quite a lot of work, but I think it was worth it. I'm currently working on "Maniac Mansion".

Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #46
Sven_Q45
Forumite

I forgot. I´m ready. LucasArts was yesterday but LA is still outstanding...
Sven_Q45 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2009, 02:22 AM   #47
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I had a 30% off coupon at Borders and was going to pick this up yesterday, but they didn't have it and the coupon was in-store only so no ordering. :/ Still want to get it eventually.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2009, 05:16 AM   #48
andygeers
Rookie

I bought the "Rogue Leaders" book the other week, and it's great to see all the concept artwork and stuff and read about the history. For my tastes, though, there was far too much about the later Star Wars stuff that I'm not so interested in. It's a good coffee table book, but not so sure it's worth the price tag
andygeers is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #49
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

Yeah I finally finished reading the whole Rogue Book, and it just sounds like a company cheerleader who has a Star Wars fetish wrote it. I'm not even trying to exaggerate here. It kind of made me sad, but at least I have all this great (early) artwork in the book.

I really didn't see the point of going on and on for pages about Star Wars games developed by second and third party developers the last 100 pages of the book while some of the greatest LucasArts Adventures games got only one or two pages. This is extremely unforgivable when there are at l east 8 pages featuring artwork from Lego Star Wars/Indiana Jones games! Do those games seriously warrant a gallery of art needing to be printed? Not to mention (again) they aren't even developed by LucasArts.

There was also a few weird knocks against Grim Fandango and Tim Schafer about how they were interfering Hal Barwood's plans for a new game. Give me a break.

And Defenders of Dynatron City did have both the comic and show released, the book is wrong to say they were cancelled.

Anyways, ARTIST UNKNOWN.
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #50
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Hooray! Someone else has finally read it and agrees with me. It's nice to own, for sure, but it's a wasted opportunity

Quote:
There was also a few weird knocks against Grim Fandango and Tim Schafer about how they were interfering Hal Barwood's plans for a new game. Give me a break.
One thing: It was a single comment and if it's true then I feel sorry for Barwood -- it's not really a knock. A game where you play entirely as C-3PO sounds something inventive and unique for the Star Wars universe - and it could've be excellent if was done well. (Not that I'd take it over, Grim Fandango, of course!) Just bad timing, really... LucasArts afraid of being too "creatively risky" with TWO whole games.

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #51
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPeel2001 View Post
Hooray! Someone else has finally read it and agrees with me. It's nice to own, for sure, but it's a wasted opportunity
Most definitely. I don't think another book with company art, especially early art, is ever going to come out. It's kind of sad that Rob Smith had all this access to major art works, and only pick and chose a few, some being questionable, many being labeled artist unknown. Too much rings sloppy writing and research, but none of this really makes the purchase of the book a waste. That's what's weird about this.

Quote:
One thing: It was a single comment and if it's true then I feel sorry for Barwood -- it's not really a knock.
Well this is my fault for posting this at work and not going through the book to make sure. I remember the quote as annoying Hal Barwood, and the book made it seem like Grim Fandango was just this sort of pet project that went over budget and was annoying the whole company. Again, I'm posting this at work, and I'd have to go back and check, but I got the general feeling that the writer had a bias towards sinking money in a game like that but was more than happy to talk about all these multitudes of Star Wars games that were cancelled but SURE to be innovative.

I really got the feeling that this book was written by someone who jumped on the Lucasarts bandwagon because of KOTOR, Rebel Assault, or Dark Forces II, because there's all this enthusiastic talk about innovation, hurdles that had to be crossed, and original ideas when it comes to Star Wars content from '97 on, yet he shallowly covers the early titles. Is it because it would be silly to print a hardcover book if it were not padded with 100 more pages not really pertaining to close to LucasArts history?

Okay, before I ramble some more, I guess I'm just going to go home and post some things that bothered me with the book as reference, just because.

Last edited by SyntheticGerbil; 03-24-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #52
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

It is a bit annoying. While I do like the book, there's clearly a big missed opportunity here and presumably there's loads of additional concept art and such for Mojo's choice games that the author had access to but didn't include.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #53
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

Where did you hear that from?

My dream book would be just a book containing all the original art that was scanned for Monkey Island II and games afterwards in full, all original character concept giving each artist full credit, page spreads of things like the Zak McKracken Newspaper and Maniac Mansion bulletin Board, all promotional artwork found in the Adventurer and elsewhere (except the Sam and Max comics since those are in the new Surfin' the Highway Jake had a major part in putting together), and showing whatever storyboards there are to be had. I have a few for Curse of Monkey Island in the Prima strategy guide that came with my game long ago, and there's the really rough ones for Grim Fandango and CMI in the Rogue Book, but eh.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #54
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

I didn't hear it from anywhere, it's just some relatively reasonable speculation. If he had access to such a vast archive of the original art, presumably there's a lot more of it there that he would have passed over. Unless LucasArts just cherry-picked the ones they wanted him to include and sent them over? I don't know how it worked.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #55
ATMachine
Hero of Many Lands

There is clearly more art in the LucasArts archives than was included in the book - one of the publisher's ads for Rogue Leaders contained an additional Steve Purcell concept painting for the MI2 box cover that wasn't included in the finished book.

"What color is the tree?"
ATMachine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #56
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
There is clearly more art in the LucasArts archives than was included in the book - one of the publisher's ads for Rogue Leaders contained an additional Steve Purcell concept painting for the MI2 box cover that wasn't included in the finished book.
Got a pic of that? And by the way, did you get my PM?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #57
ATMachine
Hero of Many Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert View Post
Got a pic of that? And by the way, did you get my PM?
Got your PM and sent you one of the scans - but I had trouble removing all the dust specks in the image as they come from a printed page in a magazine and the dot pattern makes it hard to hide injudicious use of the clone stamp. I know you are something of a Photoshop guru so I'll leave that work to you.

As for the unseen MI2 box art concept, here it is. The image wasn't scanned in by me so I don't have access to a higher-res scan but here you go:

"What color is the tree?"
ATMachine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #58
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Thanks for the scans, they're perfect!!

As for the MI2-image, yeah, I remeber seeing it as well... man, it's a shame for the missed opportunity to bring more adventure-artworks out of the archives.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #59
Sven_Q45
Forumite

Now we need a new special book!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:47 AM   #60
Megakles
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven_Q45 View Post
Now we need a new special book!
I would love a book that it just about Monkey Island. Rouge Leaders was good but I want more!
Megakles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #61
Sven_Q45
Forumite

What I want is a book about MI. A story. Like a roman to SW Republic Commando.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #62
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven_Q45 View Post
What I want is a book about MI. A story. Like a roman to SW Republic Commando.
You know, the English word is "novel" not "roman" ;-)

But, oh, what a coincidence, I've just got these babies printed a few days ago (the texts are taken from LucasArts Fiction):

I admit, the back covers were a rush job, just to get the thing printed as quickly as possible...

Unfortunately the service I had these printed at (epubli.de) didn't allow to design a spine, and so it's just text, which size depends on the page-count... not too nice.

Each book starts with the game's logo...

... followed by some copyright stuff and a table of contents.

The first page of "The Secret of Monkey Island".

I've included the chapter screens from MI2...

... and MI3.

Plus I've decided to include MI2's post-credits lines.

I'm definitely gonna get the other novels printed too, and probably rework the covers of these ones as well. I'll try to contact the authors, and if they don't mind, I'll upload my PDF-files here.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #63
Sven_Q45
Forumite

@Schwert
Uh, sorry. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #64
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Current Game: Not TFU2
The International House of Mojo Staff 
The word 'wow' comes to mind!

The Tingler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #65
Sven_Q45
Forumite

I´m just thinking about the Rogue Book, lately.
What was the reason? And why now?
It´s a theorie but could it be that this was cuz for the SEs, TOMI and so on?
I mean there were concepts in it. And for example the concept arts of MI 2 can make it into the MI 2:SE...
Old 07-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #66
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

Haha, I think some guy just wanted to write about Star Wars games and had to include the adventure games.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:23 AM   #67
Longcat

Quote:
I'm definitely gonna get the other novels printed too, and probably rework the covers of these ones as well. I'll try to contact the authors, and if they don't mind, I'll upload my PDF-files here.

That would be sooooo cool man!

Last edited by Gabez; 07-14-2009 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Removing the image duplicates in the quotation
Longcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 06:01 AM   #68
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

You look like you know your stuff, LS... how is it possible that you didn't know you couldn't print to RGB? It's very confusing. I would have literally been fired if I didn't know that... but you clearly have a professional's knowledge and skill otherwise.

Do you know about 40/40/40/100 and ink coverage and stuff like that?

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 06:30 AM   #69
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Can anyone recommend a good English site that prints books like this?

Old 07-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #70
s-island
Music man

Wow, you printed chariset's fanfic. :O
s-island is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #71
plamdi.com
Rookie

Quote:

How much did those cost? I WANT I WANT I WANT! Can you upload the files you sent them, pretty please?
plamdi.com is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 07:57 AM   #72
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
You look like you know your stuff, LS... how is it possible that you didn't know you couldn't print to RGB? It's very confusing. I would have literally been fired if I didn't know that... but you clearly have a professional's knowledge and skill otherwise.

Do you know about 40/40/40/100 and ink coverage and stuff like that?
I've probably been in some kind of brainstew-mode, as OF COURSE I know you can't print in RGB. I think I just meant that PosterXXL converts any images you send them into RGB, so it wouldn't make sense to send them CMYK-images. Anyway, I've gotta admit that although I know my ways in Photoshop, I know nothing about professional printing (40/40/40/100? Never heard of it...), as that's never been part of my job (I work as a 3D- and video-guy). Hobbywise I don't necessarily have to deal with CMYK, as I can simply print an RGB image and my printer and Photoshop deal with the rest.

That said, back on the book topic.

The prices were:
10,48 € for MI1
18,12 € for MI2
8,92 € for MI3
12,04 € for MI4
23,43 € for Grim Fandango (but they seem to have lost my order of this one... hope that'll get fixed soon)
7,20 € for Zak McKracken
10,01 € for Full Throttle

I'll post some photos of those other ones when I find time. Regarding the PDFs, I still have to rework them a bit, plus I wanted to make better covers, but I'm not sure about that yet. The problem though is, the files were prepared for that specific online printing service (ePubli.de) at the size of A5, a rather untypical format in the US (I guess). So having them printed at a different size would probably not work without the danger of something important cropped off.

The alternative would be to actually order the books at ePubli, as they ship to most EU countries. Strangely they don't ship to the USA, although they ship to Canada. Might be a mistake on their page.

Last edited by Laserschwert; 07-14-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #73
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

That's really cheap!

What's the best way to making PDFs? Do you need to buy some Adobe software or is something available freely?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #74
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
There are several free PDF-printers available (once installed you can pick them as your printer, but instead of printing to paper, they print to a file). CutePDF for example. ePubli have another one on their site.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #75
plamdi.com
Rookie

Quote:
I've probably been in some kind of brainstew-mode, as OF COURSE I know you can't print in RGB. I think I just meant that PosterXXL converts any images you send them into RGB, so it wouldn't make sense to send them CMYK-images. Anyway, I've gotta admit that although I know my ways in Photoshop, I know nothing about professional printing (40/40/40/100? Never heard of it...), as that's never been part of my job (I work as a 3D- and video-guy). Hobbywise I don't necessarily have to deal with CMYK, as I can simply print an RGB image and my printer and Photoshop deal with the rest.
I don't understand myself how a CMYK printable image is prepared professionally (considering that you can only view RGB on-screen). The really important thing I keep in mind is that black-levels are far more diverse in print and whites are less. That's one of the problems of the JPEG format - typically it likes to compress black areas more than white areas ... which is fine for screen, but not for print.

You can get a good CMYK print from an RGB image ... but as for fully optimizing the print quality by converting to CMYK and tinkering with that - it's certainly something a hobbyiest like myself is incapable to do.
plamdi.com is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Lucas Arts Rogue book!