lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Alpha Protocol - Obsidian's new RPG
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #121
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
Obsidian probably didn't have much control over it to begin with, IMO.
Based on some of the posts I've seen from Obsidian employees, I get the impression that the quote above is pretty much on the money.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #122
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yeah that would be all Atari's doing. EA is planning on doing the same for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age judging by a recent survey they sent out.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #123
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
So, quick question about this: can you customize Mike's appearance?
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #124
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Skywalker View Post
So, quick question about this: can you customize Mike's appearance?
From what I know, you can. Not only can you customize facial features at the beginning of the game, but there's also clothing and accessories that you can buy and equip later on. One video had Thorton flaunting frame-less glasses like he was a Gucci model.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #125
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
That's interesting. I assume then they are doing the same thing Bioware did with ME promotion with their default male Shepard. I hadn't heard anything about customisation in AP and just assumed they were going with a preset character for story purposes.

I don't think Obsidian have promoted the game very well. Seems like all they've done so far is show off how much of a ME clone it is. I really wish they'd feature some of the unique stuff I've heard whispers about.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #126
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
I don't think Obsidian have promoted the game very well. Seems like all they've done so far is show off how much of a ME clone it is. I really wish they'd feature some of the unique stuff I've heard whispers about.
I believe that's more of Sega's failing, rather than Obsidian's. They often keep awareness of their games down to a low roar, unfortunately, especially when they've been actively releasing gems over the past few months. I certainly hope that Alpha Protocol sells well, as any extra profit extends Obisidian's lifespan over going belly-up like any other Black Isle offshoot. Of course, New Vegas will probably sell like hotcakes, as if anything that FO3 has told us, it's that Fallout is more of a mainstream brand now, which you can interpret in many ways.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #127
jrrtoken

Obsidian's released some community avatars, to your liking:

Of course, resizing character bios from the official website also works:

Old 07-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #128
jrrtoken

Continued from above:

Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #129
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
Ha! Loving the piglet. The in-game model is not as charming as the concept art, though.

Also, it seems like redheads are in fashion again... like we haven't seen enough of them in the Witcher.

SpaceAlex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #130
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Wow, they look pretty good. I'm loving the one eyed militant guy.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #131
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAlex View Post
Also, it seems like redheads are in fashion again... like we haven't seen enough of them in the Witcher.
There are never enough.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #132
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAlex View Post
Blasphemy sir! You can never have too many redheaded hot chicks. Although calling them Scarlet is perhaps a tad clichéd.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #133
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

One-eyed militant guy is definitely based off a real guy, I just can't remember who. But I know I've definitely seen that exact face somewhere.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #134
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Abu Hamza?

Warning: more Picasso than Phidias.
Show spoiler

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #135
Revan 411
Forumite

This game looks quite interesting if I say so myself. My favorite portrait would have to be the the dude with the sunglasses. In other words, the last picture, on the first post.

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #136
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Nope, it's the classic Rage guy.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #137
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Pre-order bonus stuffs were announced this week.

Assault Pack if you pre-order from GameStop.
Stealth Pack if you pre-order from GameCrazy.
I was just checking and it appears the pre-order bonuses are only for the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game...

Matthew Rorie seems to reinforce the fact that the pre-order bonuses weren't Obsidian's idea as he states the general feeling at Obsidian is that it would suck for PC players to miss out on content.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #138
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
It'd be nice to have something for PC, too, although I imagine those can be modded in easily enough. This looks like it's shaping up to be a very fun game.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #139
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
It'd be nice to have something for PC, too, although I imagine those can be modded in easily enough. This looks like it's shaping up to be a very fun game.
It's just a pity it appears not to have caught the public imagination. No doubt there are too few halfling rogues and/or space marines in it.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 07-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #140
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
It's just a pity it appears not to have caught the public imagination. No doubt there are too few halfling rogues and/or space marines in it.
I'm hoping with enough press and good gameplay it'll turn into a huge hit, especially for Obsidian's sake. I like their games for the most part, and what to see them succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Blasphemy sir! You can never have too many redheaded hot chicks.
I love this guy.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #141
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
I'm hoping with enough press and good gameplay it'll turn into a huge hit, especially for Obsidian's sake. I like their games for the most part, and what to see them succeed.
Agreed, but looking at the places it scored in polls for E3 and its release date, I'm not hopeful. It could still be a hit, but I'm not betting on it without something like a viral ad campaign.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 07-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #142
jrrtoken

I have massive doubts that it will do well, financially, for more than one of the reasons already stated. Partially, it's Sega's tradition for putting barely any marketing incentive compared to other publishing houses, which is, in many cases, good, but when they've been releasing fairly good titles as of late, it means that all of the good title get tossed under the rug by the media. That's why similar RPGs as of late () have received almost unanimous raise by the media, all because each publisher used extensive marketing techniques (I.E., hyping) in their advertising campaigns.

Of course, having a competing developer's release in the same month probably doesn't do wonders for your own title, too. :P
Old 07-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #143
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
This game needs to be in my hands already.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #144
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I don't think the problem lies in the level of exposure. I think they've had enough to get the game into the spotlight. I think the problem lies in the type of stuff they have shown, as I have said before.

Console shooter-RPGs like AP and ME tread a dangerous path. You can see they want to appeal to the mass-market shooter crowd, so they downplay the RPG elements and focus on the combat. That's a big mistake, as the shooter mechanics will likely be pretty poor compared to a straight FPS/3rdPS (as was the case with ME1) and visually it's nothing that hasn't been seen a gazillion times before. I think a lot of console shooter kiddies got burned with ME - they hated the combat and had to put up with constant breaks in the mindless combat for conversations (which they skipped through of course). No doubt they will be more cautious with AP.

ME scored a lot of coverage because the press got all excited by the conversation wheel (for some reason). Regardless of whether or not Obsidian came up with a similar idea independently, their system is going to be seen as a ripoff of ME, so that isn't going to win them much publicity (not of the positive kind anyway).

One of the things that could be a big winner for AP is all the supposed Bond-esque gadgetry, but we haven't really seen anything of this (other than some vague references and a few quick inventory pics). Again, they've chosen to play up the bland elements of the game that everyone has seen a bunch of times before.

Much like EA choosing to pair Dragon Age with a Marilyn Manson song, Sega's PR work for AP boggles the mind....
Old 07-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #145
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Anyone else think that logo and "The Espionage RPG" look mighty cheesy?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #146
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I like how they used default shaved head guy as the main character.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #147
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

In b4 Sam Fisher mods

Sam Fisher Mods? -RH

Last edited by RedHawke; 07-21-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #148
jrrtoken

Quote:
Yeah, the box art is rather unexciting, but I digress. As far as the subtitle goes; well, if Fallout had "A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game" as their subtitle on the box art, then I suppose others can do so as well.

The ESRB content summary is hilarious:
Quote:
Alpha Protocol

Platform: Windows PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3

Rating: Mature

Content descriptors: Blood, Drug Reference, Intense Violence, Sexual Content, Strong Language

Rating summary: This is a third-person shooter in which players assume the role of a special agent dispatched to track down stolen munitions and bring terrorists to justice. Players travel around the world, navigate through missions that increase characters' skill, and eliminate an assortment of enemies and terrorists. Players use shotguns, assault rifles, machine guns, grenades, and knives to kill enemies. Stealth attacks allow players to sneak up on and stab unsuspecting enemies. The most intense depictions of violence occur during interactive cutscenes where players have the option to "spare/wait" or "execute/goodbye" villains. Players can shoot surrendered enemies at close range with bullets to the stomach, kneecap, and forehead. Most injuries and deaths result in blood splatter that occasionally pools on the floor. During the course of the game, players can comes across exotic dancers dressed in skimpy clothing. In one scene, the central character has (implied) sex with a female villain: The villain is shown in underwear and climbs on top of the central character and mounts him; sexual activity is never depicted as the scene fades to black. One character in the game is depicted snorting cocaine from his hand; the central character comments that the person is "f*cking high."
Well, at least we won't see yet another awkward, cheek-clipping sex scene a la Mass Effect. The cocaine reference is also humorously written, as well as the confirmation that Thorton can throw out quips at a moment's notice.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #149
Master Shake

Current Game: kotor 3
Quote:

No, just the right amount for a game that will decide your company's future.
Master Shake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #150
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Hooray for executions of surrendered enemies and kneecapping!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #151
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I think a more Bourne-like cover art would have been less fail than it looks now. Still, I couldn't be less interested on the cover and more on the content itself. Game's definetely shaping to something good.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #152
Revan 411
Forumite

Argh, I don't think that box art is cheesy or corny. I actually like the font and the world map in the background. Seems appropriate for a modern day ''spy'' RPG. And like most other folks on this topic, I'm looking forward to Alpha Protocol. Hopefully, it won't be a disappointment.

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #153
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Box art sucks, I think the game will make up for that though. If it's released on Steam or something I'll probably get it through there anyways.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #154
jrrtoken

Walkthrough Trailer #2

View page
YouTube Video

This is the best trailer yet, and has completely enchanted me with this game. The safehouses seem to be much more than simply a starting location, and the various features are everything that I've ever wanted out of the generic "base" in RPGs. The ability to respond to emails using the standard dialogue system normally featured with conversations is brilliant. The weapon modification interface is exactly what I've been dreaming of in any game, and the facial customization system seems finely developed.

The dialogue also seems well-written, as of now, that is. Favorite line from Thorton: "Huh, Nasri. Why can't all terrorists be as fun to kill as you?"
Old 07-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #155
Jeff

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
The dialogue also seems well-written, as of now, that is. Favorite line from Thorton: "Huh, Nasri. Why can't all terrorists be as fun to kill as you?"
That was my favorite bit as well. Game keeps looking better, definitely one of my top titles coming out this year.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #156
Astor
It's Thornhill!

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It's definitely looking better all the time - the customization options are awesome, as are the skills.

I'm also digging the girl with the large gun at 0.25.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #157
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor Kaine View Post
I'm also digging the girl with the large gun at 0.25.
I agree with you sir and also proclaim that I will not kill her during the game, because people as sexy as that should not be killed.

I really love the UI they've made, sleek and very in with the times. Nice to them develop such a lean and functional UI after the half-baked one in KotOR II. The video really impressed me, and like Jeff it's on my Top 5 list for sure. Just below Deus Ex, in fact. >_>

In fact, the game reminds me of Deus Ex, as I haven't seen an RPG in a modern setting since Deus Ex, so I'm really digging this shindig. The music at the end of the walkthrough strongly reminded me of Deus Ex. >_>

Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #158
jrrtoken

Quote:
I agree with you sir and also proclaim that I will not kill her during the game, because people as sexy as that should not be killed.
Her name's SIE, and she's a former East German operative, now a mercenary. She's also a 40-year-old dominatrix, and lives on a "Join me or die, bitch" motto. In the end, I'm thinking she'll violently sodomize Thorton, but that's just a hunch.
Quote:
I really love the UI they've made, sleek and very in with the times. Nice to them develop such a lean and functional UI after the half-baked one in KotOR II. The video really impressed me, and like Jeff it's on my Top 5 list for sure. Just below Deus Ex, in fact. >_>
It definitely has that "realistic" feel, especially when using computers, much like how Deus Ex was. I'm hoping there's more computer-based elements, though, such as hacking into security systems and using them against enemies, as that never became stale in DX.
Quote:
In fact, the game reminds me of Deus Ex, as I haven't seen an RPG in a modern setting since Deus Ex, so I'm really digging this shindig. The music at the end of the walkthrough strongly reminded me of Deus Ex. >_>
The game definitely seems to broadcast similar feelings to what I basked in when playing Deus Ex, and I think it might have the potential to fill in empty RPG elements left out by DX (An actual dialogue system, for one). Only time can tell, though.

As far as music goes, from most of the the 90 second samples that I've gathered from the official website, it gives of a very suspenseful, orchestrated vibe to it, similar to any action flicks of the day, particularly Batman Begins. It does have more electronica-inspired beats to it, along with more big brass blasts for action scenes. The main theme, for one, is fairly minimalist, yet still "loud" enough to catch attention.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #159
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
I was just checking and it appears the pre-order bonuses are only for the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game...

Matthew Rorie seems to reinforce the fact that the pre-order bonuses weren't Obsidian's idea as he states the general feeling at Obsidian is that it would suck for PC players to miss out on content.
Just saw this post, ugh. I would have preordered it too, stealth pack sounds cool. I don't see how people can prefer western RPGs on consoles anyways, whether they're shooters or not.

Also, lol.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #160
Master Shake

Current Game: kotor 3
Quote:
In the end, I'm thinking she'll violently sodomize Thorton, but that's just a hunch.
What's not to like?

“It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not.” Andre Gide.
Master Shake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Alpha Protocol - Obsidian's new RPG