lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Breathing some life into the Boards.
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,631
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Breathing some life into the Boards.

Any ideas, people?

We all love RC, and we like discussing it (even if we do have our differences of opinion once in a while).

So, my hope with this thread is that we can discuss some ideas for breathing some life into the boards, and making it a fun place again.

Feel free to bring up ideas and suggestions, and we'll see where that takes us.

AK.






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
CommanderQ
I should go.
 
CommanderQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,630
Current Game: Mass Effect
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Excellent choice of thread, Astor, this is very much what we need

Well, we could expand the RC forum, start little competitions, create polls that could be successful, and maybe even begin a small fanfic area. Those are just a few ideas we were tossing back and forth in the RC group.

We members just have to get a bit more involved in the forum, like posting more often{but contribue, not spam}.

Just some ideas, I'll probably have a few more later...


you very much
If a tree would fall in the woods.....would the other trees laugh at it?
CommanderQ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
TriggerGod
Senior Member
 
TriggerGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: hiding
Posts: 2,415
Helpful! 
Well, there isn't a lot that this community can do short of the books. The reason why the KOTOR section is so active is because its a mega popular game series, and its modding capabilities are steadily on the rise, and then the speculation about K3. With RC, the most you can do is play the game, and maybe make a skin of your total of your squard, a wookie, or one of your 3 enemies. RC is fairly limited it what it could have done, unfortunately.
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Trench
Guy with Monocle
 
Trench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Under a rock.
Posts: 1,638
Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
*cough* Fanfics and RP's *cough*
*cough* An area for Mandalorians *cough*
*cough* A custom title for Te Mirdala *cough*

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,631
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderQ View Post
Well, we could expand the RC forum, start little competitions, create polls that could be successful, and maybe even begin a small fanfic area. Those are just a few ideas we were tossing back and forth in the RC group.
Expanding the forum is likely out of the question - there's just not enough activity to warrant any expansion. It would need a massive boost in activity for that to be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerGod View Post
Well, there isn't a lot that this community can do short of the books. The reason why the KOTOR section is so active is because its a mega popular game series, and its modding capabilities are steadily on the rise, and then the speculation about K3. With RC, the most you can do is play the game, and maybe make a skin of your total of your squard, a wookie, or one of your 3 enemies. RC is fairly limited it what it could have done, unfortunately.
Some good points there, Trigger. Maybe it's just hopeless enthusiasm on my part, but i'd like to think there was some chance of increasing activity here. Of course, that might not be possible, but it's worth a shot at least.

*Fingers crossed there's an RC2 announcement on Friday*






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Trench
Guy with Monocle
 
Trench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Under a rock.
Posts: 1,638
Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
*salutes* Permission requested to start an "official' Mandalorian thread sir.

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
CommanderQ
I should go.
 
CommanderQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,630
Current Game: Mass Effect
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor Kaine View Post
Expanding the forum is likely out of the question - there's just not enough activity to warrant any expansion. It would need a massive boost in activity for that to be an option.
True, but that's why I also said after that that we need to become more involved in the forum itself. Every regular RC Forum goer needing to contribute a good amount, every one of us. It'll definately be awhile until we can warrant expansion, but we still need to at least in some create more activities. It doesn't have to be extra forums, but it could just be specified threads. Just an idea.


you very much
If a tree would fall in the woods.....would the other trees laugh at it?
CommanderQ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
Trench
Guy with Monocle
 
Trench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Under a rock.
Posts: 1,638
Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Are people ignoring me? If I start a Mandalorian thread and place a link in my sig, that might attract some more attention. Especially if I say "official" in my sig link.

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,631
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Mirdala Mand'alor View Post
*salutes* Permission requested to start an "official' Mandalorian thread sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Mirdala Mand'alor View Post
Are people ignoring me? If I start a Mandalorian thread and place a link in my sig, that might attract some more attention. Especially if I say "official" in my sig link.
No, i'm not ignoring you. You don't need my permission to start threads, but what would this thread involve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderQ View Post
True, but that's why I also said after that that we need to become more involved in the forum itself. Every regular RC Forum goer needing to contribute a good amount, every one of us. It'll definately be awhile until we can warrant expansion, but we still need to at least in some create more activities. It doesn't have to be extra forums, but it could just be specified threads. Just an idea.
And it's a good idea, Q - the problem, as has been mentioned here and elsewhere, is that there's less and less to talk about in terms of RC - it's just a case of finding some topics that haven't been discussed before.






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
Trench
Guy with Monocle
 
Trench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Under a rock.
Posts: 1,638
Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor Kaine View Post
No, i'm not ignoring you. You don't need my permission to start threads, but what would this thread involve?
I ask for permission because I am hoping to make a thread that will sort of act as a Mandalorian themed sub-forum. I didn't want to start a such a potentially large project without the approval of someone in authority.

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
Dread Advocate
Junior Member
 
Dread Advocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 298
Current Game: Magic the Gathering
the only thing that could be done and be somewhat busy would a fanfic section. as for TMM's suggestion, while i can agree that the Mandalorians are epic awesome amazingness with extra bad-assness, not everyone is a diehard Fandalorian (sorry).
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
Master Shake
Junior Member
 
Master Shake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: S.D
Posts: 295
Current Game: kotor 3
Everyone loves Mandalorians,

some role playing would definitely help.
Master Shake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2009, 03:29 AM   #13
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,631
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Okay, Mand'alor, if you want to set up an RP/whatever thread, then you can do so - but if it degenerates into a spamfest, it'll result in post deletions and possibly closure.

In the meantime, i've got some other news - the CCP will returning for a time, and if it's successful, it might stick around.

EDIT: As for fanfics, they'll have to be posted in either Reporting for Duty or Absent without Leave until there's a chance of them getting their own section.

Or, if you prefer, you can post them in the Coruscant Entertainment Section on the KOTOR Board.







Last edited by Astor; 07-22-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > RepublicCommando.Net > Community > Absent Without Leave > Breathing some life into the Boards.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.