lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Force Unleashed is finally coming to PC: How do you feel?
I'm excited! 22 81.48%
I'm angry. 1 3.70%
I don't care. 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Force Unleashed gets ported to PC (Nov 3, 2009)!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
rugal
Rookie

Force Unleashed gets ported to PC (Nov 3, 2009)!

does anybody know if the force unleashed will be available for the pc? if so what date?
rugal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Forceboat

No, I'm afraid not. However, there have been some skins and at least one model made so far of Galen Marek the Starkiller available over at jk3files that you might could use. And there is a conversion mod in the works for Jedi Academy of the game called Jedi Academy Unleashed. You can read about it and see screens here:

Jedi Academy Unleashed Mod
Forceboat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
rugal
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceboat View Post
No, I'm afraid not. However, there have been some skins and at least one model made so far of Galen Marek the Starkiller available over at jk3files that you might could use. And there is a conversion mod in the works for Jedi Academy of the game called Jedi Academy Unleashed. You can read about it and see screens here:

Jedi Academy Unleashed Mod
thanks for your reply also i had another question i just downloaded both skins for dooku and galen how do i spawn them in jedi academy? ive read the readme file however it really did not say. any help would be great
rugal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
A skin is just a skin, but if they have botfiles, then you could add them as bots. Check your bot add menu for their names.

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
mgs209
Rookie

i love that game
mgs209 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Rodders
Rookie

It really annoys me that LA seems to have completely forgotten the PC crowd.
Rodders is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2009, 02:27 AM   #7
nizwiz
Rookie

While there still seems to be no TFU for PC in sight, LucasArts may have come to their senses again:
The Clone Wars - Republic Heroes
nizwiz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2009, 04:49 AM   #8
Mercenary

It's too bad LucasArts thought that there weren't enough PC gamers with good enough computers to run the game. That doesn't seem to stop other companies. I've never played role playing games before and I don't know if I could get into them. So what's left? Another Jedi Knight game would be nice.
Mercenary is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizwiz View Post
While there still seems to be no TFU for PC in sight, LucasArts may have come to their senses again:
The Clone Wars - Republic Heroes
While this is one SW fan who is getting a bit tired of retreads of the Clone War period (considering the overall lack of originality... how many more times can you rehash slashing up endless battledroids?), I'm glad to hear it will have "two player cooperative play." Hopefully the multiplayer in this game on the PC won't be merely limited to a console style "split screen" two player, but have other options as well.

Anyway this is no substitute for a true "Jedi Game."

It seems we've gotten a few "Jedi Games" over time that were console only... "Star Wars: Obi-Wan" for the Xbox in 2001 (between 1998's Mysteries of the Sith and 2002's Jedi Outcast), which by all counts was a disappointing flop, having suffered a lot as a project (which was more than made up for by JK2 on the PC). Then we had Episode III: Revenge of the Sith which was console only in 2005, two years after Jedi Academy.

Then we got TFU... again, console only. But it seems what all these games do, they give you Jedi-like gameplay options, but not the style of gameplay we've come to know and love in the JK series... the ability to use sabers, force, AND OTHER WEAPONS in a free for all, or team-based multiplayer context.

Coop is great, and I'm all for it, and I know it takes a lot more time to develop, but really, they need to give us something. Even JA is becoming hard to find at a reasonable price. At least they should re-release it so more people can get their hands on the game (JK2 at least got re-released recently with their "Best of PC" collection).

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
The Force Unleashed Coming to PC - For Real!

yay news!

LucasArts tells us 'STFU'

Star Wars The Force Unleashed

that was a horrible joke on LA's part

Well, now we are getting the PC game that we've all whined bitched asked nicely for about 9 months ago. TFU for PC
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
This deserves it's own thread!

Also, I made that STFU joke. But others have used the STFU acronym before me.

And yes, all you whiney fanboys can finally be satisfied. I am not too excited by the news personally, but it's good to see LA giving the PC some love.

Also: More details on Sith Edition & DLC

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Also, I made that STFU joke. But others have used the STFU acronym before me.
It wasn't until after I posted that I noticed where the news was.

its still a crappy joke

Oh yeah, and I didn't get a chance to update this yet. Trailer
Old 07-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #13
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Yay! That means eventually we may be able to mod for it!!!

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 AM   #14
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Mirdala Mand'alor View Post
Yay! That means eventually we may be able to mod for it!!!
It is entirely possible that they may or may not let us mod TFU, even though I hope they do. After what we've seen, the most we'll be able to do is make skins. Of course, since the game hasn't been released yet, and no modding tools have been made, we don't know the extent of what we will be able to do. It is entirely within the scope of possibilities that we'll be able to model completely new characters and areas for this game, or we will be confined to making reskins and the like, or we may not be able to do anything at all
Old 07-25-2009, 01:13 AM   #15
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerGod View Post
It is entirely possible that they may or may not let us mod TFU, even though I hope they do. After what we've seen, the most we'll be able to do is make skins. Of course, since the game hasn't been released yet, and no modding tools have been made, we don't know the extent of what we will be able to do. It is entirely within the scope of possibilities that we'll be able to model completely new characters and areas for this game, or we will be confined to making reskins and the like, or we may not be able to do anything at all
I'd be happy with just doing re-skins.
(With or without the approval of LucasArts)
I joke, I joke

Old 07-25-2009, 07:04 AM   #16
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Will it include the normal game too, or it's just those missions after the dark side ending? And it will be possible to buy in normal stores, or only through Steam?
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #17
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
It includes the normal/original game. I don't know if they've talked about Steam yet, but I would imagine you could get it in stores.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #18
WraithPrince
Rookie

Current Game: UT2004, Kotor:TSL
Dangit another reason to upgrade my computer! >_<

WraithPrince is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #19
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man_2423 View Post
but I would imagine you could get it in stores.
I really hope so.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #20
Drewton
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR, TSL
I just have the Wii version of the game, so this will be a big improvement for me when released, assuming its graphics will as good as on Xbox360/PS3. It will look great hooked up to my TV in 1080p with an HDMI cable.

Now we just need a demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerGod View Post
They let us mod Republic Commando, didn't they? And a fair amount has been done for it.

Modding is what I'm looking forward to the most with this. The possibilities of adding Malak, Revan, Nihilus, Darth Krayt to the game...
Drewton is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #21
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
I have been appeased!
I can't wait for this release!

Old 07-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #22
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewton View Post
They let us mod Republic Commando, didn't they? And a fair amount has been done for it.

Modding is what I'm looking forward to the most with this. The possibilities of adding Malak, Revan, Nihilus, Darth Krayt to the game...
Why would this game be moddable just because another game is? It's just gonna be another lame PC port anyway...

Old 07-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #23
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
They tolerate us modding pretty much every other Star Wars game. Why would this one be any different?

Old 07-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #24
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Tolerate? There's a difference between tolerating and actually being ABLE to do modding to a game. If they don't release some kind of tools, or the file system is not easily accessible/editable/whatever, how are you going to mod the game? They're just porting this game to suck another $50 from you all who have already paid for it once already, the last thing they care about is if you can mod it or not.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #25
Drewton
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR, TSL
Quote:
Why would this game be moddable just because another game is? It's just gonna be another lame PC port anyway...
LucasArts has released modding tools for most of their games in the past, including more recent titles. I don't see why they'd stop now.

Quote:
They're just porting this game to suck another $50 from you all who have already paid for it once already, the last thing they care about is if you can mod it or not.
*sigh* There's always going to be complaining.

There have been people complaining about this not being out on PC for months and LucasArts is finally giving us a PC version. And this is also really good news for people, including me, who only have the PS2/Wii versions which are terrible.

If LucasArts just cares about the money and not about modding why did they release modding tools for Battlefront (2003 and 2005) or Republic Commando (2005)?
Drewton is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #26
WraithPrince
Rookie

Well im gonna love to see what they do control wise since every button on the controller was a different power and since they can't do what JO and jka did since it would be impossible to combine force powers.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #27
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
They're just porting this game to suck another $50 from you all who have already paid for it once already, the last thing they care about is if you can mod it or not.
Oh yes, they're definitely not porting the game to make the game available for purchase for PC gamers who don't own TFU yet. It clearly makes more sense to only appeal to those who already own it. You're a genius.
Quote:
It's just gonna be another lame PC port anyway...
Aspyr Media is handling the port, take from that what you will. They've done the Jedi Knight series and a whole bunch of other games to Mac before. They're not exactly green on that front. But you seem to know more? Do tell.

LEC has been supportive of modding in the past, but it will depend on the tools they use on TFU whether or not they can be released easily. Ease of use, stability and use of licensed software from other vendors come to mind as plausible pitfalls.

-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Alegis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #28
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegis View Post
Oh yes, they're definitely not porting the game to make the game available for purchase for PC gamers who don't own TFU yet. It clearly makes more sense to only appeal to those who already own it. You're a genius.
I'm aware that people want to play it on PC that wouldn't/can't on a console. Welcome to the Internet, where not everyone's statements mean 100% what you might think.

Quote:
Aspyr Media is handling the port, take from that what you will. They've done the Jedi Knight series and a whole bunch of other games to Mac before. They're not exactly green on that front. But you seem to know more? Do tell.

LEC has been supportive of modding in the past, but it will depend on the tools they use on TFU whether or not they can be released easily. Ease of use, stability and use of licensed software from other vendors come to mind as plausible pitfalls.
TFU isn't some FPS they're gonna release a map editor for. Since you've obviously proved me wrong, perhaps you can explain how easy it will be to release a modding toolkit for a game that is using 3 different engines rolled into 1 that's simple for modders to use?

Old 07-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #29
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Welcome to the Internet, where not everyone's statements mean 100% what you might think.
Which is why one should take careful note to pay attention to what they're writing. You posted absolute nonsense, I made you aware of that.

Quote:
TFU isn't some FPS they're gonna release a map editor for. Since you've obviously proved me wrong, perhaps you can explain how easy it will be to release a modding toolkit for a game that is using 3 different engines rolled into 1 that's simple for modders to use?
You seem to have misunderstood my point. You also seem to confuse "not releasing modding tools with a game" with "dirty money grabbing *******s porting for a quick buck how dare those sinful devils abuse us so" (slightly exaggerated). Sometimes it's easy (all their own tools, and friendly to use) sometimes it's not (heavy use of licensed sofware, the need to replace that with new solutions). We'll see what they'll do. Condemning their efforts already seems rather premature at this point.

-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Old 07-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #30
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegis View Post
You seem to have misunderstood my point. You also seem to confuse "not releasing modding tools with a game" with "dirty money grabbing *******s porting for a quick buck how dare those sinful devils abuse us so" (slightly exaggerated). Sometimes it's easy (all their own tools, and friendly to use) sometimes it's not (heavy use of licensed sofware, the need to replace that with new solutions). We'll see what they'll do. Condemning their efforts already seems rather premature at this point.
There are plenty of good ports that never got mod tools. Mass Effect comes to mind. I guess they could later, but doesn't seem likely. Maybe they just wanted to be be nice by bringing it over to the PC? They don't need the money, I guess, right? I'm not confusing anything. These companies are out here to make cash. There's no obligation to release tools, nor should they be expected. If they do, cool, if they don't, oh well.

In this situation, AFAIK, none of the engines/systems were developed by LA, so you're latter description fits more appropriately, I think.

This discussion has interested me though. If someone could provide me an example of a popular console game (or any game, I guess), ported to the PC at a much later date, and AFTER the port, received modding toolkits (and not just some lame map editor), I would like to know what games these were. I'm sure it's been done, but I would like to know by who/for what games. LA...anyone.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #31
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
What's wrong with a lame map editor? Custom maps are arguably the best form of fan-made content. Documentation, Tutorials and consumer-friendly map tools don't grow on trees.

You also don't require the source in order to make modifications. Not if you want to implement extra abilities but if you're out to tweak the data values you're home free (given that you can read the data like the formats you mentioned earlier).
I believe Halo had some extra tools released, that fits your precedent description. Not that the inclusion of tools with TFU will depend on such precedents.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #32
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

So a map editor would be satisfactory for a game like TFU? High ambitions there. I don't know, an action game like this just needs more modding capability than a basic map editor, and what would you do with it? MP would be cool, but I don't think it's in. Create new SP levels? Well, there's one positive about this whole thing, if they pulled it off.

Of course my described scenario won't be a factor whether tools actually do get released or not, I was just curious which games under similar circumstances actually did receive tools/support for modding.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #33
Mercenary

It looks like LucasArts finally came to their senses (maybe)

http://comic-con.gamespot.com/story/...for-pc-ps3-360

keep in mind there's no mention of a PC version in their official announcement posted on their website

http://www.lucasarts.com/company/rel...s20090724.html
Mercenary is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2009, 05:01 AM   #34
LordSerion
Rookie

I only hope they'll make the porting well, don't mess up camera movement and controls.

Map editor wouldn't be bad, but I hope there'll be a character editor as well (making a simple, arena-like map, put in 200 Stormies with Jar-Jar skin, then smash 'em!)
LordSerion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2009, 06:38 AM   #35
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
A little late, don't ya think LA?

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2009, 07:18 AM   #36
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition

The big news dropped on the Comic-Con audience by LucasArts came in the form of The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition. This Fall LucasArts will release a new downloadable level for the Xbox 360 and the PS3. It re-imagines the Star Wars Saga as if the Secret Apprentice had taken Darth Vaderís place at the Emperorís side after the events of the original game and is going to let you explore the deepest, darkest side of the Force. The game expands the original The Force Unleashed levels with new levels set on Coruscant and Tatooine, and an all-new level set on Hoth.

Itís a what-if scenario, ďthe secret apprentice is sent to Hoth with a mission to crush the Rebellion once and for all, and along the way heís going to come up against Luke Skywalker!Ē described Shell. The Ultimate Sith Edition will be available on Mac and PC too.

More than just words, the presentation showcased a debut video trailer for The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition which you can see here.
Source

It's an official source, so I believe in them.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #37
WraithPrince
Rookie

They were running out of sales for the console versions so they did this to grab a bit of dough before it died off

Old 07-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #38
Cobra SA
Rookie

it is possible to play the PS2 version of TFU on your PC with emulator program

with my core2quad I get a very decent speep of 50 fps

QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (OC 3.4 GHz)
ATI Radeon HD4870 X2 (2Go)
Corsair Dominator CM2X2048-8500C5D 4 Go DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRA
Windows 7 Pro x64
Cobra SA is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #39
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra SA View Post
it is possible to play the PS2 version of TFU on your PC with emulator program

with my core2quad I get a very decent speep of 50 fps
Isn't it against the rules to talk about emulation and piracy?
Old 07-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #40
damacles
Rookie

The Hoth level is only available for the Ultimate Sith Edition. Which mean we have to buy another copy of the game in order to be able to play it.

That makes no sense. Why not simply put it out as a DLC like the new Tatooine DLC? We paid good money for ours when it first came out but you want us to buy the same game again but this time it already has the DLC with it in addition to the new Hoth DLC?
damacles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Force Unleashed > General > The Secret Apprentice's Logs > Force Unleashed gets ported to PC (Nov 3, 2009)!