lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #121
Espiox
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicDeLuxe View Post
So is the stump joke wanted in?
Honestly, I'm not that bothered about putting that joke in (nor, really, "fixing" any other part of the CD version). I'm all for it if it's optional though.
Espiox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #122
cocomonk22
Rookie

I could compile a new patch with LogicDeLuxe's dialog splits.

Last edited by cocomonk22; 04-03-2010 at 10:52 PM.
cocomonk22 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2009, 10:12 AM   #123
naveen123
Lurker

When is the CD Talkie Edition being released ?Give us an approximate .
naveen123 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #124
jott
Rookie

First of all the modified SCUMM scripts have to be finished. There are still some minor things to do IMHO (removing some of the "Throopweed" variations, maybe add logic to the sword fighting scenes that the proper response sample is chosen, ...)

If that is done, there is still some more work to be done, as the sword fighting scenes (and some other places) need a proper speech file assignment.

Finally the installer has to be finished to reduce the need of technical skills. I'm not sure how Espiox is coming forward with that.

For my very rough estimate, I guess it's about 5-8 man hours of work with some polish, maybe more. Translate that to the spare time everyone involved has for the project....

Of course anyone who wants to help out is welcome to do so. Alpha & beta testing is essential too....
jott is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #125
naveen123
Lurker

I don't mind testing the game and giving feedbacks.
naveen123 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #126
Nickelstein

Current Game: OPF,HL2,Bioshock
I wanna beta test

"Excuse me sir on behalf of the Internets I must ask you to GTFO and take your FAIL with you. Thank you and please STFU on your way out"
Nickelstein is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #127
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jott View Post
removing some of the "Throopweed" variations
Agreed. It won't hurt at all if we keep just those which actually have a sample. Unless someone spends all day talking to the lookout, he won't notice the difference for sure.
Quote:
maybe add logic to the sword fighting scenes that the proper response sample is chosen, ...)
I could live without the sample variations, but if someone wants to write the scripts for this.
Quote:
Finally the installer has to be finished to reduce the need of technical skills. I'm not sure how Espiox is coming forward with that.
Ideally that would be like the MI speech project, except that instead of a monster.so3, there will be a tool which extracts, encodes and assembles the SE samples to a monster.so3/sog/sof. This tool should have an input file telling the samples order, so that the user don't need scrummtr too.

For beta testers:
Right now, anyone is welcome to test the game with split dialog and check if there isn't anything broken. You currently need quite a lot tools for this to get this far, since there is no convenient installer yet.
Use the latest patch and the dialog splitter tool versions last posted by cocomonk22.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #128
cocomonk22
Rookie

Can you explain adding logic to the sword fighting scenes? I believe I have done that with different lines based on text color, unless the SE changes lines from the original?

Last edited by cocomonk22; 04-03-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:16 AM   #129
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonk22 View Post
Can you explain adding logic to the sword fighting scenes? I believe I have done that with different lines based on text color, unless the SE changes lines from the original?
I think he meant the variations on Guybrush' lines. For all the replies, we have samples were he sounds rather unsure, which is supposed to be used when the wrong replay is chosen. And we have the main samples in which he sounds rather convinced.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #130
jott
Rookie

Quote:
I think he meant the variations on Guybrush' lines.
Exactly. And I agree that it's not as burning as the other problems but would be nice to have.

Quote:
Ideally that would be like the MI speech project, except that instead of a monster.so3, there will be a tool which extracts, encodes and assembles the SE samples to a monster.so3/sog/sof. This tool should have an input file telling the samples order, so that the user don't need scrummtr too.
Well if it is (legally) possible to redistribute a full patch that includes all current changes there will indeed not be much left to do. The mapping for the mkspeech can be dumped from the current automatic association based on the scummtr output.
As we touch every line of speech I am not quite sure how the legal point in redistributing a patch is (as it will include nearly all of the text lines) so using scummtr is less problematic for that matter.
On the other hand the installer could easily be bundled with all the necessary tools and just call them properly. I sent Espiox a rough script as a starting point for just that about a week ago.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #131
Espiox
Rookie

Quote:
On the other hand the installer could easily be bundled with all the necessary tools and just call them properly. I sent Espiox a rough script as a starting point for just that about a week ago.
Wow, has it been that long? Sorry for my absence this week, Real Life stepped in to prevent me putting any time into this project for a short while. I have all of tomorrow off though, so I'll get working on that installer post-haste.
Espiox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #132
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Well if it is (legally) possible to redistribute a full patch that includes all current changes there will indeed not be much left to do.
The point in such patching methods is to avoid legal problems like this. The MI speech project does it the same way for the scripts. And we actually don't touch that much text. Actually only those with variables in it. The main difference is the voice references added.
You sure can't do anything useful with it without having the game files, which is pretty much the point.

I'm not an expert on this, but I never heard of anyone sued due to a patch like this was released. And there certainly are patches which would be of much more legal concern than this one.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #133
jestar_jokin
Rookie

Quote:
As we touch every line of speech I am not quite sure how the legal point in redistributing a patch is (as it will include nearly all of the text lines) so using scummtr is less problematic for that matter.
If you use a binary diff tool like bsdiff to create a patch, it will only store the differences between the patched & original files. Technically, none of the lines of text are actually getting changed, just the bits of code inside or surrounding them.

Here's a simplified example:

Code:
original:
printEgo("Hi there!^255^3My name's Guybrush Threepwood.")

new:
printEgo("Hi there!")
printEgo("My name's Guybrush Threepwood.")

difference (contents of the patch):
remove ^255^3
insert ") printEgo("
For your own purposes you will need to use scummtr etc to get the speech code into the game, but for final distribution you can just release a patch file (plus the tools for handling the SE stuff).
jestar_jokin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #134
jott
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestar_jokin View Post
If you use a binary diff tool like bsdiff to create a patch, it will only store the differences between the patched & original files.
You are probably right, the context needed should be small or just an offset, if the delta algorithm is smart enough. I was thinking too much about normal text diff there.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #135
daltysmilth
Rookie

Question: when this is all finished, will there be a simple download that will allow this mod to run?

"So Brak, is that Polish? Or... no I suppose it wouldn't be."
--Mike Nelson- MST3K: the Movie
daltysmilth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #136
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltysmilth View Post
Question: when this is all finished, will there be a simple download that will allow this mod to run?
That's the goal. All you should need is MI1SE, ScummVM and this patch.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:27 AM   #137
whaleyland
Rookie

Any update on the progress of this project? I've been looking forward to a talkie MI1 and 2 for years and this looks very likely to happen now (and no, the new graphic-intensive remake does not count...I want pixels! I mean, I have the new MI:SE, but I want to turn it into an old MI with talkie...ya know what I mean).
whaleyland is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #138
whaleyland
Rookie

Seriously, what has happened to this project?! Is it still on? I can't run the new SE very well on my Macbook and really want a talkie version of the original.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #139
cocomonk22
Rookie

Well, pretty much all the programming is done. We just need people to do the dirty work of putting in the lines that didn't get matched up properly into the missing.txt.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #140
xone
Lurker

Hello,
I'd like to help with the dirty work, but I don't have needed files..
I've tried compile this project by my self using mkspeech, but I've got monster.so3 about 5MB from over 3000 MP3 files.. Anyway, there wasn't any voices during the game (I've decompile and compile again .txt file using scummtr of course)..

Regards, X.

***edit
Quote:
For beta testers:
Right now, anyone is welcome to test the game with split dialog and check if there isn't anything broken. You currently need quite a lot tools for this to get this far, since there is no convenient installer yet.
Use the latest patch and the dialog splitter tool versions last posted by cocomonk22.
I'm trying compile this project again..
I can't get worked dialog splitter tool (I surely don't have scummbler.py)..

Can anyone write down in one place all needed tools and download links? Thanks in advanced.

***edit 2
OK. I have manage to compile this..
I couldn't use dialog splitter tool because of missing scummbler.py file I think.
But I have about 130MB monster.so3 file and I can hear voices during play..

Anyway someone could write down in one place all needed tools and download links.. Maybe i have miss something and I didn't made it correctly..

Testing now.. It's nice...

Last edited by xone; 09-09-2009 at 07:31 AM.
xone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #141
Varrok
Rookie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xone View Post
Hello,
I'd like to help with the dirty work, but I don't have needed files..
I've tried compile this project by my self using mkspeech, but I've got monster.so3 about 5MB from over 3000 MP3 files.. Anyway, there wasn't any voices during the game (I've decompile and compile again .txt file using scummtr of course)..

Regards, X.

***edit

I'm trying compile this project again..
I can't get worked dialog splitter tool (I surely don't have scummbler.py)..

Can anyone write down in one place all needed tools and download links? Thanks in advanced.

***edit 2
OK. I have manage to compile this..
I couldn't use dialog splitter tool because of missing scummbler.py file I think.
But I have about 130MB monster.so3 file and I can hear voices during play..

Anyway someone could write down in one place all needed tools and download links.. Maybe i have miss something and I didn't made it correctly..

Testing now.. It's nice...
Wow... it's great that you did it The bad thing is that you didn't say WHAT DID YOU do (what exactly links did you use, how did you use them) to make it work and some people still has no idea how to hear SE voices in normal game :/
Varrok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2009, 02:10 AM   #142
xone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrok View Post
Wow... it's great that you did it The bad thing is that you didn't say WHAT DID YOU do (what exactly links did you use, how did you use them) to make it work and some people still has no idea how to hear SE voices in normal game :/
Well.. Isn't too hard to compile this project but you need read whole thread carefully. Sometimes you need search for needed tools using google.

OK. Here is what I have done (if I shouldn't write this all step-by-step instruction, moderator please delete this post).

0 ) YOU NEED TO BUY Your own copy of The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition!
1 ) After install you need get MI CD files that are inside SE version. Extract Monkey1.pak and get classic/en/monkey1.* (tool to extract: http://helicoid.de/scumm/extractpak.zip).
2 ) Extract audio\MusicOriginal.xwb (tool to extract: http://helicoid.de/scumm/unxwb-mi.zip).
3 ) Now convert xma files to wav (tool to convert http://www.enbclan.com/download.php?...xWMAEncode.zip).
4 ) Convert WAV files to MP3/OGG/FLAC. Rename them starting track1.*
5 ) Extract audio\Speech.xwb (tool above)
6 ) Convert WAV files to MP3 (OGG or FLAC are not supported yet).
7 ) Now You need patch Your Monkey files that you extracted - You should backup files then you will have original files if you fail (here is patch http://www.mediafire.com/?yymeyajyzh1)
8 ) After patching extract scumm script with command scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H (the tool: http://hibernatus34.free.fr/scumm/scummtr.exe).
9 ) Now if you have all MP3 files and mi1.txt in one folder you can make monster.so3 and mi1new.txt (here is the tool: http://helicoid.de/scumm/mkspeech.zip)
10) Now compile scumm script into the game files with command scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -if mi1new.txt -H
11) Monkey files (Monkey1.000 and Monkey1.001) copy with all 24 tracks and Monsetr.so3 to the same directory and use ScummVM to play..
12) Enjoy and say Thanks to the authors!

Thank you jott, LogicDeLuxe, cocomonk22 and all other hard working on this project!

PS. I have found SCUMMBLER (and needed environment) but I don't know how and when use dialog splitter
PS2. Using all steps described above I can play with speeches but sometimes there is no voices or voices are messed. Can I correct it manually?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #143
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
PS. I have found SCUMMBLER (and needed environment) but I don't know how and when use dialog splitter
You don't need neither. The changes made with those tools are included in the patch you used.
Quote:
PS2. Using all steps described above I can play with speeches but sometimes there is no voices or voices are messed. Can I correct it manually?
That's pretty much the point and basically the only work remaining in order to make a fully automated tool.
Mkspeech.exe can take a tweak file, which is explained in this thread.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:25 AM   #144
xone
Lurker

Quote:
That's pretty much the point and basically the only work remaining in order to make a fully automated tool.
Mkspeech.exe can take a tweak file, which is explained in this thread.
My English isn't very well so I don't know if I understand what tweak file you have talking about.. It's mapping.txt file? I'm trying make something with that file, but I don't quiet understand how mapping file should be prepared (how I should know what I have type there).

BTW. You want make tool that will make whole translation speech.info and mi1.txt to mi1new.txt.. Isn't better share correct mi1new.txt, mapping.txt and tool that will just compile monster.so? and upgrade monkey.00? files (users should have other needed files)? Or it's illegal to share that *.txt files?

PS. If it's isn't illegal to share *.txt files can I ask you to share any mapping.txt file (if you have one)? So maybe I'll be able to help finish it and don't do the job already done. Thanks in advance.

***edit
I'm trying to get a clue how to fix missing voices..
For example: One of Important-looking pirates is saying "Hey, don't forget we're short on help because of this whole LeChuck thing.", but there is no voice, only subtitles. There is also no hex values on the beginning of the line inside mi1new.txt (line before have \xFF\x0A\xf1\x03\xFF\x0A\x00\x00\xFF\x0A\x0a\x00\x FF\x0A\x00\x00, and line after have similar)..
I have found that file PL3_28_bar_48_4.mp3 is exactly this sentence, but I don't know how to add this to mapping.txt or change mi1new.txt to hear it in game.
I wish I have explained this clear enough..

Cheers, X.

Last edited by xone; 09-11-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #145
Krasas
Rookie

Current Game: Tales of MI
Quote:
I'm trying to get a clue how to fix missing voices..
For example: One of Important-looking pirates is saying "Hey, don't forget we're short on help because of this whole LeChuck thing.", but there is no voice, only subtitles. There is also no hex values on the beginning of the line inside mi1new.txt (line before have \xFF\x0A\xf1\x03\xFF\x0A\x00\x00\xFF\x0A\x0a\x00\x FF\x0A\x00\x00, and line after have similar)..
I have found that file PL3_28_bar_48_4.mp3 is exactly this sentence, but I don't know how to add this to mapping.txt or change mi1new.txt to hear it in game.
I wish I have explained this clear enough..
Based on jott's explanation here (refer to page 2 of this thread for the whole discussion), you 'll basically want to modify the mapping.txt file by adding lines to it.
Mapping.txt has lines of the form: x=y
The missing.txt file should direct you as to exactly what you should add to the mapping.txt file.

For those lines that the "mkspeech" tool has trouble identifying the right mp3 sample by itself, the missing.txt should have a bunch of "Multiple hits for line ..." entries. Among those entries you pick the one with the right mp3 sample, and it will tell you exactly what you need to add to the mapping.txt file.

Finally, you should run the mkspeech tool again, and the scummtr command to re-import the subtitles to the game files.

(I have not tried any of the above. That's just my understanding of what needs to be done)
Krasas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2009, 04:05 AM   #146
xone
Lurker

OK..
I have looking for that sentence inside missing.txt and I've found:
MISS : "Hey, don't forget we're short on help because of this whole LeChuck thing." - add 1229,0=sampleno
So I have add to mapping.txt:
1229,0=y
where y is sample number, but how can I check what sample number is PL3_28_bar_48_4.mp3 ??

***edit
OK. I've found speech tool on helicoid server (jott's server I guess), so I have samples order..
I've add "Hey, don't forget we're short on help because of this whole LeChuck thing." sentence using mapping.txt and it's working..
I have two more questions..
- Is it possible to correct mi1new.txt file when samples overlap, for example green pirate is talking "swordplay, thievery, and, er, treasure huntery;" and then "then return with proof that you've done it." but the second sample is overlap..
- Is is possible to correct script file when samples are jerky like "GROG!!! GROG!!! GROG!!!"?

Cheers, X.

Last edited by xone; 09-15-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #147
thorndraco
Lurker

I'm having trouble with the mkspeech step. It says the speech.info is missing, and I've seen the file name mentioned several times in this thread, but couldn't find any mention of where this file comes from or how I'm supposed to get it.

EDIT: n/m I found it.

EDIT: I have it working, but I'm noticing a ton of the speech overlaps or cuts each other off, is there an optimal subtitle speed I should be using? I also seem to have to re-turn on the speech any time I go to the options.

I have the latest SVN of ScummVM (I actually noticed that the overlap got worse when I updated, instead of better).

Last edited by thorndraco; 10-04-2009 at 01:18 PM.
thorndraco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #148
mcollard
Lurker

I am very interested in this project. I restored today a Packard Bell Multi-Media system... I am interested in the talkie versions with subtitles as my child cannot yet read.

I thought it might be a fun project. OK. So for those of us DOS-only losers, is it possible to build scummvm for DOS?
mcollard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #149
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcollard View Post
is it possible to build scummvm for DOS?
I don't think so.
I can think of a solution, though. It should be possible to actually replace the music with MIDI versions, and convert the voice samples to 22 kHz VOC, so a monster.sou could be built. Then the game should work with the FOA talky-demo executable. The quality would be similar to DOTT or Sam & Max. No attempts were made to realize such a project, though.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #150
mcollard
Lurker

This would be ideal.

I have some programming background, however, creating the SOU and setting up the clips is beyond my level of expertise and would charge a hefty learning curve.
mcollard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #151
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorndraco View Post
EDIT: I have it working, but I'm noticing a ton of the speech overlaps or cuts each other off
You do use the latest patch posted here, which has the dialog lines split properly, don't you?
We had issues of this kind earlier, which should be fixed now.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #152
whaleyland
Rookie

So, has anyone produced a talkie version of SMI yet that a regular, non-programmer can use? I assume it will work via ScummVM, but perhaps not. This thread gets updated so intermittently that I don't know if anyone is still working on this project. Any update would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #153
cocomonk22
Rookie

Exclamation

Actually, the previous patch I posted still required that the dialogsplitter be run, so here's a new patch with the lines split properly so you don't have to do that step yourself.

*NEW PATCH*
http://www.mediafire.com/?ntzj5ccnmjm
October 21, 2009
Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 PM   #154
daltysmilth
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonk22 View Post
Actually, the previous patch I posted still required that the dialogsplitter be run, so here's a new patch with the lines split properly so you don't have to do that step yourself.

*NEW PATCH*
http://www.mediafire.com/?ntzj5ccnmjm
October 21, 2009
So, uh... how does all this work?

"So Brak, is that Polish? Or... no I suppose it wouldn't be."
--Mike Nelson- MST3K: the Movie
daltysmilth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #155
whaleyland
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltysmilth View Post
So, uh... how does all this work?
What he said.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:25 AM   #156
cocomonk22
Rookie

Try following the steps xone posted, just in step 7, use this patch instead: (http://www.mediafire.com/?ntzj5ccnmjm)

For the patch, just extract it into your MONKEY folder that contains MONKEY.000 and MONKEY.001 (or MONKEY1.000 and MONKEY.001) and run INSTALL.BAT. Follow the instructions it gives.

For step 8, you put scummtr.exe in the MONKEY directory. Then you have to open the command prompt. In XP you can go to Start Menu > Run > type cmd > press enter. It's also in Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. Once the prompt is open, navigate to the MONKEY directory (for instance, if it is C:\MONKEY, you would type cd c:\monkey and press enter. Once at the MONKEY directory, type scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H and press enter. If that doesn't work, you might have to use scummtr -cw -g monkeycd -of mi1.txt -h -H instead.

At step 9, you just put all the MP3 files and mi1.txt from step 8 and extract mkspeech to that directory and run mkspeech.exe.

Step 10 is similar to step 8.

Last edited by cocomonk22; 04-03-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:02 AM   #157
whaleyland
Rookie

I'm just going to go ahead and post that step-by-step list here since the link was the wrong one and navigating two different places was becoming rather difficult (I didn't add/change anything, so still follow the corrections above):

Quote:
Well.. Isn't too hard to compile this project but you need read whole thread carefully. Sometimes you need search for needed tools using google.

OK. Here is what I have done (if I shouldn't write this all step-by-step instruction, moderator please delete this post).

0 ) YOU NEED TO BUY Your own copy of The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition!
1 ) After install you need get MI CD files that are inside SE version. Extract Monkey1.pak and get classic/en/monkey1.* (tool to extract: http://helicoid.de/scumm/extractpak.zip).
2 ) Extract audio\MusicOriginal.xwb (tool to extract: http://helicoid.de/scumm/unxwb-mi.zip).
3 ) Now convert xma files to wav (tool to convert http://www.enbclan.com/download.php?...xWMAEncode.zip).
4 ) Convert WAV files to MP3/OGG/FLAC. Rename them starting track1.*
5 ) Extract audio\Speech.xwb (tool above)
6 ) Convert WAV files to MP3 (OGG or FLAC are not supported yet).
7 ) Now You need patch Your Monkey files that you extracted - You should backup files then you will have original files if you fail (here is patch http://www.mediafire.com/?yymeyajyzh1)
8 ) After patching extract scumm script with command scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H (the tool: http://hibernatus34.free.fr/scumm/scummtr.exe).
9 ) Now if you have all MP3 files and mi1.txt in one folder you can make monster.so3 and mi1new.txt (here is the tool: http://helicoid.de/scumm/mkspeech.zip)
10) Now compile scumm script into the game files with command scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -if mi1new.txt -H
11) Monkey files (Monkey1.000 and Monkey1.001) copy with all 24 tracks and Monsetr.so3 to the same directory and use ScummVM to play..
12) Enjoy and say Thanks to the authors!

Thank you jott, LogicDeLuxe, cocomonk22 and all other hard working on this project!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #158
whaleyland
Rookie

Alright, I've attempted this check off list but run into a few problems (note: I am not a programmer in any way, but I can follow lists fairly accurately).

First problem: xWMAEncode.exe could not or did not convert my files. The command prompt just blinked on the screen and disappeared again. I have a copy of Monkey Island CD music which I used instead since I couldn't convert the real music. I don't think this will cause an issue.

Second problem: This is the major issue. mkspeech.exe doesn't work for me. While the patcher works just fine, mkspeech tells me that it "Could not open "speech.info", whatever that is. Without mkspeech working, the entire talkie-conversion doesn't work making my efforts all in vain. I can't get the new mi1new.txt file or monster.so3 nor move on to step 10. Just to make sure things don't work at this step, I tried it on Scumm and it player just like it were the normal CD version, no talkie.

Can anyone help me with a solution to this problem? I'm so close to getting it all done but this one step seems to be killing any progress I've made. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2009, 05:11 AM   #159
Varrok
Rookie

Speech.info is somewhere in your MI:SE files Try searching in game folders (Data?)
Varrok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #160
whaleyland
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrok View Post
Speech.info is somewhere in your MI:SE files Try searching in game folders (Data?)
Ah, so it is. It is in the Audio folder. That little part should probably also be added to the instructions.

Okay, so I've successfully implemented The Secret of Monkey Island (CD/Talkie) edition. There were numerous errors in the mkspeech.exe install, stating something like 4100 things were modified but the remaining 4000 had errors (I neglected to write down the numbers unfortunately. I do have the missing.txt file, however if anyone wants it). Now, onto errors I've encountered in the first 10 minutes of play.

The Pirate Masters (?) in the SCUMM BAR are not very good at simultaneously chanting. "The Three Tests" (or whatever it is) didn't have audio, nor did a caption a bit prior to it. When they chant "Grog! Grog! Grog!" together, it comes out more like "Gra Gra Gra", being cut off at the ends. The next round of chanting also doesn't have audio nor does the trio of "Har Har Har"s. I'm guessing that simultaneous voices just don't work well with the speech implementation. The first and last lines of LOOM man don't play sadly.

I rather figured that there would be some audio errors since this still isn't out of beta, and overall it is very well done. I especially like the reimplementation of the dog in the bar. If there is any fairly easy way to correct these text problems, I can try, if someone could just give me some pointers. Thanks for all the hard work! This talkie version is awesome!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Community Discussion Forums > SCUMM > Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project