lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Another Vista Problem that I can't find anywhere else
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
Jollyroger13
Lurker

Another Vista Problem that I can't find anywhere else

So i'm trying to play KOTOR on my machine and it won't even start.

Vista 64x Ultimate
6G ram
Radeon HD 4870 1G ram
AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.61

After trying and failing to get it to work on a XP virtual machine because of the lack for video support, the only problem the Scan Hardware has now is that under Video it returns a (null) 4096 and then Graphics recommended blah blah blah, all with the yellow dot before it, not even red.

steps already taken
compatibility mode
.dll fix
it already thinks xp is installed after the virtual machine
sound deactivated
ran as administrator
video drivers are up to date
"recommended settings"
browsed this forum and others, nobody seems to have had this problem or seen a fix
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/y...Untitled-1.jpg is screen shot of what happens seconds after I hit Game, and as you can see, taken as i type this. Obviously there isn't exactly an error code.
and http://shortText.com/5tqiwpjt1 is a link to the report that it has generated.
Jollyroger13 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Thanks for listing your specs.

I've never seen an error report like that before. I admit that I know next to nothing about virtual machines, but it could have messed up your installation. Try reinstalling to eliminate that possibility, and run a registry cleaner like ccleaner after you uninstall and before you reinstall. Then follow the directions in the first two posts of this thread while reinstalling, paying special attention to:

-Installing the latest DirectX redistributable to fix Vista's lack of backward compatibility
-Replacing the old swkotor.exe with the one that's fixed for Vista by SecuROM
-Setting CPU affinity to only one of your four cores every time you start the game

And you might as well open "swkotor.ini" in your game folder with Notepad and enter "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" without the quotes under "Game Options", then save and exit.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
N**
Rookie

This absolutely is a problem with SecuROM.

That message shown isn't actually text, but rather a code segment embedded in the executable by the copy protection system. I don't know why SecuROM is trying to print it. My first guess at an explanation would be it's a bug, followed by debugging mechanism (for the developers), or heap corruption.

Last edited by N**; 08-08-2009 at 02:04 PM.
N** is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Trouble Shooting > The Work Bench > Another Vista Problem that I can't find anywhere else