lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: DLG/UTI/UTC/MOD Language Converter v1.0
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-11-2006, 05:44 PM   #41
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bani134
I just got the game, but it's in German. Please, someone help me to get the game in English, I just don't understand how. I tried this [language converter] program, but no luck. Can someone just zip the English thing and post it for me?
Which game is "the game", KotOR1 or TSL?

The game only contains text and VO for the language it was shipped in. The language converter just flips the locale of text strings in localized string data to make them display in games with language settings other than English. This will not translate anything. Besides, localized strings are essentially only used in mods. Rarely, if ever, in the standard game.

Even if someone wouldn't mind to zip and upload more than half a gigbyte worth of english voiceover sound files it would probably be pretty illegal to do.

If you only want the standard game text to be in English and don't mind everyone still speaking German audibly, you could download a mod from PCGM that contains an English language dialog.tlk file.

I think one of the Force Power mods (not the High Level Force Powers one though) contains a dialog.tlk file you could use. Replace the one located in your game folder to get the game text in English.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #42
bani134
Lurker

its star wars the old republican 2 game. so how can i change the sounds in english? what do i have to do? :/

can u post me the straight link for the dialog.. i just cant find it in pcgamemods.com? thx.

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 02-12-2006 at 06:16 PM. Reason: combining double-post
bani134 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #43
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
The file at PCGM (http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/6428.html) is for KotOR 1 only. You cannot change the sounds to English. You will need to purchase an English copy of the game.

Edit:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/17182.html
This has an English version of dialog.tlk
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #44
bani134
Lurker

so can i put that file to the KotOR 2?
Old 02-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #45
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bani134
so can i put that file to the KotOR 2?
There is only one way to find out...

(But this is starting to get off topic in this thread since it doesn't have anything to do with the Language Converter any more. You should probably start a new thread if you have further questions about this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
Yes. You can either install the mod itself, or just extract the dialog.tlk file and place it in your SWKOTOR2 directory.
(snip)
You'll still hear German speaking, but the captioning will be in English*.
*=most of it, some lines may still appear in German due to the German dialogf.tlk that still exists
Installing that mod wouldn't do any good since the dialog.tlk file is in the backup folder (which apparently was included by mistake), thus it isn't used by the Mod installer (which just appends the new entries to the existing dialog.tlk file). You'd have to copy the file from the backup folder into the game folder.

As for the dialog.tlk + dialogf.tlk thing, I assume it should work to make a copy of the English dialog.tlk and rename that copy to dialogf.tlk and use it? They should both be the same format anyway.

Last edited by stoffe -mkb-; 02-12-2006 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Added Reply to below post...
Old 02-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #46
tk102

Yes. You can either install the mod itself, or just extract the dialog.tlk file and place it in your SWKOTOR2 directory. I recommend making a backup of your original dialog.tlk file.

You will also need to use stoffe -mkb-'s TalkEd utility to set this new dialog.tlk file to "German" so that your German dialogs will cooperate with it. You'll still hear German speaking, but the captioning will be in English*.

*=most of it, some lines may still appear in German due to the German dialogf.tlk that still exists

Edit: (reply to above post's reply...) Ah, good idea -- just duplicate the dialog.tlk so you have a dialog.tlk and dialogf.tlk.

Last edited by tk102; 02-12-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #47
bani134
Lurker

thxxx now its in english thank you <3 they speek german but the baisic is that i undestand with reading the text
Old 05-29-2006, 06:26 AM   #48
Dyliak
Rookie

Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe -mkb-
Is there a way to make the converter add, rather than replace, ExoLocSubstrings for another locale?

And is there a way to make the converter make ExoLocSubstrings for all valid locales from English to Polish, not just a specific one?

If not those would be a rather useful features to make sure your mod is playable on all versions of the game, if you would be willing to add it.
Hi,

I don't know if happen only for italian conversion, but did you know that adding a local ExoLocSubstrings, Kotor tools isn't anymore able to open the .uti file until you remove these strings with KGFF??

Ciao
Dyliak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #49
Joris1
Rookie

Hi,

I have a question to the Language Converter. Is there a posibility to convert the languages of all files in a folder without choosing each file via hand?

Greetings Joris

"But the angel said to them: Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.", Lucas 2:10-11
Joris1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #50
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joris1
I have a question to the Language Converter. Is there a posibility to convert the languages of all files in a folder without choosing each file via hand?
Yes it is possible to convert all files in a folder if you use it in bulk mode. Do do this you will either have to run the language converter from a command prompt, or make a shortcut to it and set the parameters in the properties window of that shortcut, since you'll need to configure it via commandline parameters.

There is an example in the first post in this thread of a commandline used to convert all files with a DLG extension to the german locale:

dlgconv -i "c:\my files\*.dlg" -o "c:\my files\german" -t 4

This would convert all DLG files found in the my files folder on the C drive to the german locale, and store the converted files in the german subfolder within that folder.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #51
Joris1
Rookie

Where can I find the command line Parameters? I tried it over the console and over the start menu. But if I do it over the start menu, the PC show me a message that it cannot find the dlgconv file.

edit: I got it! Thank you very much, stoffe!

"But the angel said to them: Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.", Lucas 2:10-11

Last edited by Joris1; 02-10-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Joris1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #52
victorwspersian
Lurker

Download error

Im trying to download and the file is coming with error. Can someone help me? thanks
victorwspersian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #53
tk102

Are you using the link found on this page?
http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php
Old 07-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #54
victorwspersian
Lurker

yes
Old 07-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #55
tk102

Can you be more specific about the error?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:44 PM   #56
victorwspersian
Lurker

it downloads very fast and when i try to open apears a warning saying that itīs not a valid archive and says to try it again, but i have tried a hundred of times and is still not working
Old 07-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #57
tk102

Here's some things to try:
1. If you are using a download manager, don't.
2. Try clearing your cache.
3. Try using a different browser.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #58
victorwspersian
Lurker

I changed the browser and it worked! thanks a lot

Edit:
Quote:
The file at PCGM (http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/6428.html) is for KotOR 1 only. You cannot change the sounds to English. You will need to purchase an English copy of the game.

Edit:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/17182.html
This has an English version of dialog.tlk
i have the same problem, but the link from pcgamemods.com itīs not working. can you help?

Edit 2: Sorry. What i was trying to say is tha im having problems with the subtitles of the game. My father bought a Italian game and i want to change the subtitles to english.

Last edited by RedHawke; 07-16-2007 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Combining triple post...
Old 07-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #59
JDW
Lurker

Hi,

I donwnloaded this mod :

"The Dark Apprentice: Holowan Consortium"
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=162211

I have the French version of TSL, so, as you guess, I can't see dialogs ingame. I tried to use your software, but it seems that .dlg are in a "*.MOD" file, so I can't convert them. Can anyone help me please ?

Thanks.
JDW is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #60
tk102

You will have to unpack the MOD file with an ERF editor like stoffe's ERF/RIM Editor (http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php#gmt), then use the Language Converter, then repack everything back into the MOD file. Kind of a pain I know.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #61
JDW
Lurker

Eh, I already tried to do that but it didint work :/

I unpacked one by one .MOD files. I used Kotor Tool.
I converted dlg/utc/uti files in command mod.
I used the ERF editor (kotor tool) to create a new pack, with the same name as the english .MOD, and replace it into /module/ then overwrite.

Maybe there is a file into the .MOD that cause issues?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #62
tk102

How were you able to tell that it didn't work? Did you try to initiate dialog or did you try to view item descriptions that you already possess? Dialogs should work, but item descriptions would not since they're already spawned. It would be best to reload a savegame prior to the point that you visited the modded area.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #63
JDW
Lurker

I tried ingame. With a clean save (never goes to modded area), and I still can't see dialogs
Old 07-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #64
JDW
Lurker

There is the .MOD files :

English mod file :

http://serenity.nuxit.net/images/K2-en.zip

And my .MOD files "converted" (I believe...)

http://serenity.nuxit.net/images/K2-fr.zip

If anybody can look at them, and maybe find what I did wrong...

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #65
JDW
Lurker

Hi,

i'm still trying to fix it (I can't play anymore before it's done)

I was wondering if some auto generated files can cause issue when I repack the .MOD file.
Like the "module.ifo", is it a file created by the .ERF editor?
What files have I to remove from my folder before repack the .MOD ?

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #66
tk102

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW
There is the .MOD files :

English mod file :

http://serenity.nuxit.net/images/K2-en.zip

And my .MOD files "converted" (I believe...)

http://serenity.nuxit.net/images/K2-fr.zip

If anybody can look at them, and maybe find what I did wrong...

Thanks!
Hi, I looked at a dialog file from 301NAR.MOD in your K2-fr.zip file and saw it still retained English substrings. I used K-GFF to determine this.

Try going through these steps to perform your conversion.

1. Download ERFEdit and K-GFF.
2. Create a folder called "MOD" and use ERFEdit to extract the entire contents of an English MOD file into the "MOD" folder.
3. Create a folder called TempMOD. Put DLGCONV.exe into this folder.
4. Open a command prompt and change directories to TempMOD.
6. Type the command: dlgconv.exe -i ..\MOD\*.* -o . -t 3.
This will create French versions of the .uti, .utc, and .dlg files in the TempMOD folder. the "-o ." portion of the command is the only output option that doesn't cause dlgconv.exe to bug out. I see I need to fix that.
6b. Test one of the .dlg files by opening it with K-GFF. Press F9 to do a Search by StringRef and search for -1. Look at the substrings under the entry that is found, they should show Male French and Female French.

7. Move the files back over to the MOD folder, overwriting the English versions.
8. Use ERFEdit to create a new .mod file and add all the files from the MOD folder.
9. Repeat for each .mod file.

Here's one I did for 301NAR. (link)

Edit: Tell you what... since this utility needs fixing anyway, I'll see what I can do about integrating a .mod conversion function. I'm sure you're not the only one who's faced this frustration.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #67
JDW
Lurker

It works!! Thank you so much!!!
Dunno how I succeded to repack english version... @_@

Thank you again! I talked to Bastila! Wooohoo
Old 07-20-2007, 01:52 AM   #68
tk102

v0.6 released

v0.6 released

- Added support for converting MOD files
- Fixed bulk mode output behavior -- that is, you can specify a output path other than "." and not cause it to fail.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #69
tk102

v1.0 released (GUI)

DLGConv GUI 1.0 released

GUI version now available.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:58 AM   #70
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
DLGConv GUI 1.0 released

GUI version now available.
Wow! Looks pretty man.... someone's been busy

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #71
Kedyn
Lurker

Hello,

i'm playing the german version of the game and want to install some gamefixes, so i need the language converter. but the download-link
at http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php is broken and i couldn't find another site to download the tool. Could please somebody help me / send me a mail with the tool?

Thank You

---------------------

I searched again and found the correct link to the tool at another site:
http://www.starwarsknights.com/mtools/dlgconv_11.rar

the language converter tool is listed twice at http://www.starwarsknights.com and i just tried the bad one ^^

Last edited by Kedyn; 02-19-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Kedyn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #72
Seikan

Hello, i have the French version of both games, Kotor 1&2 The converter works perfectly on TSL, but on K1 that just convert the utc and uti files, and all the dialogs etc don't works, and i really want to play BoS and other mods like this, but that just don't work on MOD, and DLG, files.

Last mod:
-Seikan's Armors Of The Old Republic:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...74#post2738274
Seikan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #73
Loco_aullador
Lurker

Langua Converter link broken

Hi im trying to download the Language Converter but the link is broken, please could anybody repair it or at least send me the file, i'd appreciate a lot. Thanx
Loco_aullador is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center > DLG/UTI/UTC/MOD Language Converter v1.0

Tags
dialog, kotor modding tool, language