lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #121
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
It's 1280x800. Installed the game last night and it fired right up after hacking the .ini to that res.

There are ways of taking it to far higher widescreen resolutions, however.
I havent tried these hacks in W7 yet. Must get around to it ...

*mental note*

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #122
Belhawk
Rookie

i tried a couple of hacks for widescreen for KotOR 2, but they didn't work for me.
i tried 1280x800, but the game defaulted to 800x600, so i went back to 1280x768, which it accepted.

Last edited by Belhawk; 08-24-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Belhawk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #123
Lord of the Sith
Rookie

I am on Windows 7 RTM x64 and can't play KOTOR. i tried everything but nothing.
After the Lucas Logo the game go black screen and reduce to icon to the desktop and I need to use the task manager to kill the process.

Any help??
Lord of the Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2009, 01:12 AM   #124
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Sith View Post
I am on Windows 7 RTM x64 and can't play KOTOR. i tried everything but nothing.
After the Lucas Logo the game go black screen and reduce to icon to the desktop and I need to use the task manager to kill the process.

Any help??
I havent tried RTM yet, but will be doing so this weekend, x86 though.

Can you describe how you installed. Also, can you outline your specs, especially your graphics card and driver version?

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 08-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #125
Lord of the Sith
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
I havent tried RTM yet, but will be doing so this weekend, x86 though.

Can you describe how you installed. Also, can you outline your specs, especially your graphics card and driver version?

mtfbwya
Yes sure.

Well I inserterd the first CD and installed it via the autorun.
Then I updated the game to ver 1.03 via it's updater.
After this I set compatibility mode "Xp SP2" and "Run as administrator". Then configured to maximum resoltiona and the rest set to default.
The game launched but after the Lucas Arts logo the game went black screen to bakground in the taskbar.
To close it I needed to use the Task Manager and kill the Program.

My specs are :

CPU: i7
MB: Asus P6T
VGA: Nvidia 295GTX Drivers 192.60 (Latest)
Ram: 4Gb

I don't know if it's the VGA or what. The Drivers are the latest and the more stable for my VGA.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #126
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
CPU: i7
MB: Asus P6T
VGA: Nvidia 295GTX Drivers 192.60 (Latest)
Ram: 4Gb
We have similar specs ! I'll jump into my RTM partition and have a go Its not x64, but may be useful to see what happens...

watch this space >>

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 08-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #127
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Have you tried setting CPU affinity and the Dantooine lag fix? If not, please check the second post in this thread. They are both essential.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #128
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Ive had a go at KOTOR 2 - and it has been working FANTASTICALLY!

I didnt even need to apply any compatibility modes etc

Im using original discs and did not apply another other update or no cd patch

SPECS:
X58 based mainboard
Core i7 920 2.6Ghz
4GB DDR3(only 2GB usable in 7RTM x86)
EVGA GTX 295 single pcb

I even got the rez patcher to work - Ive been playing K2 for 5 hours at 1600p

Ive reduced the rez and forced windowed mode to take this screenie(this cuts part of the game screen off)

@Q >> re -the map fix gui file >> im not sure where that is mean to go. All works cool except the HUD map which is out of whack.

I'll give K1 a try another time

Also, I must get my hands on an x64 copy when I evetually switch to W7 full time, though not in a hurry to do so yet

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 08-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #129
Q
The one who knocks

The GUI fix file goes in the override folder.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 08-29-2009, 01:13 AM   #130
goofazoid
Lurker

Ok I am at my wits end with KoTOR.

Specs:
i7 920
MSI x58 Platinum
EVGA GTX 280
6gb DDR3
Vista Home Premium 64, SP 1

Legit copy of KoTOR, installed in XP SP2 Compatibility mode, ran patch program (also in compatibility). Got the Direct X 9 patch suggested in this thread, set processor affinity to core 0 (each freaking time). I have no haks or mods installed.
I keep crashing at various places, had all video settings maxed out, so dropped them all to min. (ugly and cased problems with walkmesh/walking with my PC)
Still crashed.
Current site of crashing is in the crystal cave on Dantooie.
Help?
goofazoid is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2009, 05:19 AM   #131
Q
The one who knocks

Did you try the Dantooine lag fix that I mentioned in post #2 of this thread?

-Toker
Old 08-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #132
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
The GUI fix file goes in the override folder.
Yes, i remember this Problem is - I dont have an override folder !! (that I can see anyway) Maybe its something that gets created when you apply an update ??

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 08-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #133
goofazoid
Lurker

Quote:
Did you try the Dantooine lag fix that I mentioned in post #2 of this thread?
No, as I am not having this problem with KoTOR2, only with KoTOR.

I managed to get out of the cave on Dantooine and discovered that I only crashed in there if I used the PC, if I played as a NPC there was no problem.
I then crashed multiple times after that outside the cave, and again on the Hawk. Most of the crashes are during or right after combat, but not always.

They look to me like an over heating crash, everything just freezes and nothing happens for about a min (unless you CTRL-ALT-Delete to get the Task Manager up) and then the Vista box about a program not responding comes up.

Since it looked like na over heating crash I started logging temps during game play and found that my GPU never exceeded 50C and my CPU stays between 42 & 46C. These temps are well inside specs for this hardware and should not be causing crashes. (The temps get much higher for example when I play Cryostasis with the GPU getting to 68C and the CPU getting to 52-54C and there are no crashes)

I know that there was a texture patch for KoTOR 2, is there one for KoTOR?
(not sure if textures are even a problem, Im just grasping at straws here)
Old 08-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #134
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofazoid View Post
No, as I am not having this problem with KoTOR2, only with KoTOR.
The Dantooine lag fix is needed for BOTH GAMES, given that they use the same engine and all. Where is the idea that it's only for KotOR 2 coming from? You're not the first person to think this, so I'll amend Post #2 to make it more clear. Just apply the fix and it should solve the problems that you're having.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
Yes, i remember this Problem is - I dont have an override folder !! (that I can see anyway) Maybe its something that gets created when you apply an update ??
Yeah, I think that it gets created when you patch the game to 1.02b. If for some reason you can't or don't want to patch it, you can create an override folder in the main game folder and the game will use it.

-Toker
Old 08-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #135
goofazoid
Lurker

Quote:
The Dantooine lag fix is needed for BOTH GAMES, given that they use the same engine and all. Where is the idea that it's only for KotOR 2 coming from? You're not the first person to think this, so I'll amend Post #2 to make it more clear. Just apply the fix and it should solve the problems that you're having.
When I was reading this thread the first time I started to read the lag fix and got as far as:
Quote:
First, figure out where the .ini is installed. Default is "C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\swkotor(2)\swkotor(2).ini".
Since it references swkotor(2) I presumed that it was only for KoTOR II.

I am pretty familiar with the engine since it is the same basic one that NWN uses and I am still an avid NWN PW player. (www.avlis.org)
I am sad that they did not port of the update that allows a line to be added to the ini that sets CPU affinity to the KoTOR engine thou.. (actually I think that hte last patch to NWN removed the need for it)
Old 08-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #136
Q
The one who knocks

The "2" is in parenthses, signifying that the may either be present or not present, but I went ahead and clarified that it should be used for both games. Sorry about the confusion.

Did it solve your problem?

-Toker
Old 08-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #137
goofazoid
Lurker

Quote:
The "2" is in parenthses, signifying that the may either be present or not present, but I went ahead and clarified that it should be used for both games. Sorry about the confusion.

Did it solve your problem?
Nope.

Just crashed again on the smugglers space station, was only moving across the area.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #138
Q
The one who knocks

Open the .ini again to make sure that the change was put in the right place, spelled correctly and saved.

You have a Core i7. Is Hyperthreading disabled?

-Toker
Old 08-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #139
goofazoid
Lurker

Quote:
Open the .ini again to make sure that the change was put in the right place, spelled correctly and saved.

You have a Core i7. Is Hyperthreading disabled?
yes its in correctly and in the correct place. I copied/pasted it and then removed the quotes

no it is not disabled...

I tried tweaking the settings in the nvidia control pannel for the game and that seems to have helped. The main setting that I changed was putting "force" for Vsync. (in the custom settings for KoTOR)
(I found that one here:http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopi...89084&forum=80)
Old 08-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #140
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Yeah, I think that it gets created when you patch the game to 1.02b. If for some reason you can't or don't want to patch it, you can create an override folder in the main game folder and the game will use it.
Cheers Q It might be a while before I get back to K1/K2 in Win7... I just ran Mass Effect on my 295 ... I cant stop staring at it.... I never finished this game because I wanted to wait until I could max it out at 1600p.

(my monitor = 60Hz = so only needs 60fps of course)

Now if you'll excuse me, the Normandy awaits

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 08-30-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #141
Lord of the Sith
Rookie

I still can't get KOTOR run. Anyone found ho to make it run in Win 7? It seems that the II runs.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #142
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
I still can't get KOTOR run. Anyone found ho to make it run in Win 7? It seems that the II runs.
I got K1 to run in W7 RC as described earlier. I doubt that this would change by RTM. I cant try it atm, but will give it a go within a few days just for the curious and naysayers I cannot comment on x64 compatibility though,as I dont have that build of RC or RTM

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 09-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #143
Lord of the Sith
Rookie

You think could be related to the x64 O.S.?
Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #144
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
You think could be related to the x64 O.S.?
Not sure. In any event - a msdn connection has just sorted an x64 RTM .iso for me. I should get it in a few days. I'll give K1/K2 a go on it and see what I find...if I can drag myself away from Mass Effect

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #145
Lord of the Sith
Rookie

I really hope you could help me. Thx in advance.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:41 AM   #146
Zhuk
Lurker

I tried getting KOTOR to run in Windows 7 RTM x64, tried all sorts of combinations for the fixes and it just doesn't want to work

Hopefully someone will be able to find a solution as I am very disappointed!
Zhuk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #147
TheDirective
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR
I was having problems running KotOR I on a Vista 64-bit with a NVidia driver...

I installed under SP2 as admin, replaced the mss32.dll file, then made a shortcut to the exe. then I added that line to the swkotor.ini file, then edited OpenGL options with Nhancer software. Then I finally saw this and completed Part II and III of the solution above... Finally, now, the game appears to be working. I am eternally grateful with many thanks! When time gives me the opportunity I shall attempt to play through the whole game.

Thanks everyone!
TheDirective is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #148
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

@Zhuk etc > I will be having a shot at RTM x64 this weekend I'll keep all ye posted.

Edit: Apologies for the delay Ive been quite busy... Anwyay, Ive just had a go at KOTOR 1. I pretty much replicated the process as listed for W7 RC.

I have enabled XP SP2 compatibility mode for swkotor.exe. after some initial gripes. Apart from some flickering during the save screen I have not had any issues on W7 RTM x64

I am using 190.68 nvidia drivers, with the August 2009 directx also installed(this completes directX9 libraries) >> I noticed this when (previously installed) mass effect refused to start in W7 RTM x64 after it was newly installed > citing this error as the reason

Other than that Ive encountered no issues so far. Of course, Ive only played to Telos. If anyone want to send a savegame for me to try a specific level - i'd be happy to do so. Please note >> I have NOT patched or updated anything to do with KOTOR1. I am runing v1.00 off my original game disc.

Heres a screenie with sys info window so you can see Im on RTM (7600) x64. I needed to force windowed mode in kotor ini to get this grab

I can try K2 later, but as per the Win7 RC results, I dont think I'll see anything different....

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 09-18-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #149
rhinohoops8
Rookie

Ok, I've played KOTOR 2 and it's awesome and everything, but I want Battlefront for PC. Do you think there will be any problems with me playing that game on Vista?
rhinohoops8 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #150
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinohoops8 View Post
Ok, I've played KOTOR 2 and it's awesome and everything, but I want Battlefront for PC. Do you think there will be any problems with me playing that game on Vista?
Ive played it before with no issues

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #151
rhinohoops8
Rookie

Cool. Thanks!
rhinohoops8 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #152
Fortier
Lurker

I am still unable to get KotOR II working on my laptop. I have have installed using the step-by-step guide in post #1. I have tried the SecuROM fix. I have the up-to-date directx installed. I have also tried steps 1-7 in post #31.

The exact error I am getting is when I attempt to start the game, I get a has stopped working message:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: swkotor2.exe
Application Version: 2.1.0.0
Application Timestamp: 425588ba
Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

My computer specs are:
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz
RAM 2GB
GeForce 8600M GT 256MB GPU

Was wondering if anyone could help me out.
Fortier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #153
Q
The one who knocks

Before we begin:
1) Are you setting CPU affinity every time you start the game?
2) Have you tried the Dantooine lag fix?

Also, could you please use the swconfig utility to post your specs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
Post your system specs
Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:
  • Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2.
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.
I'll need the whole report, please.

-Toker

Last edited by Q; 09-27-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #154
Fortier
Lurker

Here is the report. As for setting CPU affinity, I am unable to do so as KotOR II doesn't appear under applications before it crashes. I have also tried the Dantooine lag fix.

[SWKotOR]
ReportDateTime=27/09/2009 8:17:18 PM
SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60
GameExists=1
GameVersion=v2.10.427
GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]
Name=WinXP
Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2
Service Pack=Service Pack 2
Status=Pass

[SwapFiles]
?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]
CPUCount=1
CPUSpeed=2194
CPUFamily=6
CPUModel=15
CPUStepping=10
CPUVendor=Intel
CPUName=Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz
Status=Pass

[Memory]
RAM=2048
Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]
C: (NTFS), UNICODE=100.94GB
Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]
DriveLetters=D:\
Drives=HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L ATA Device

[Video]
Video Card Name=
Video Memory=1024
Desktop Resolution=0x0x0
DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)
OpenGL Version=3.0.0
OpenGL Vendor=NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer=GeForce 8600M GT/PCI/SSE2
NVidia Driver=(null)
Vid Card Status=Warning
Vid Card Driver Status=Fail
GL Status=Pass
DX Status=Pass

[Audio]
Sound Card Name=Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]
FullScreen=1
Disable Movies=0
Disable Intro Movies=0
Sort Modules=1
Width=640
Height=480
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60

[Sound Options]
Number 3D Voices=16
Number 2D Voices=24
2D3D Bias=0.50
Force Software=0
EAX=0
Sound Init=1
Music Volume=85
Voiceover Volume=85
Sound Effects Volume=85
Movie Volume=85
Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]
RefreshRate=60
Height=768
Width=1024
V-Sync=0
Anisotropy=8
Frame Buffer=0
Anti Aliasing=4
Texture Quality=2
Grass=1
Soft Shadows=0
Shadows=0
Brightness=57
EnableHardwareMouse=0
FullScreen=0
Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

[Game Options]
Enable Tooltips=1
Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000
Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000
Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000
TextureVariation=1
BodyVariation=0
AppearanceType=545
PCGender=0
GameCompleted=0
CurSithLord=0
Hide InGame GUI=0
Use Small Fonts=0
Hide Unequippable=0
Tutorial Popups=1
Subtitles=1
Mini Map=1
Floating Numbers=1
Status Summary=1
Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1
Mouse Sensitivity=44
Difficulty Level=1
Auto Level Up NPCs=0
Mouse Look=0
AutoSave=1
EnableScreenShot=0
Reverse Mouse Buttons=0
Reverse Ingame YAxis=0
Reverse Minigame YAxis=0
Combat Movement=1
UnlockedPlanetSongs=3
TooltipDelay Sec=1
Disable Movies=0

[config]
firstrun=0

[Keymapping]
Action286B=8
Action286A=7
Action285B=10
Action285A=9
Action284B=54
Action284A=51
Action283B=54
Action283A=51
Action282B=69
Action282A=73
Action281B=53
Action281A=76
Action280B=69
Action280A=73
Action268=52
Action265=58
Action264=57
Action263=43
Action262=85
Action261=84
Action260=83
Action259=82
Action258=81
Action257=80
Action256=79
Action255=78
Action254=77
Action253=31
Action245=75
Action244=55
Action243=67
Action242=74
Action241=87
Action240=56
Action239=68
Action238=82
Action236=83
Action234=81
Action232=80
Action230=79
Action228=78
Action226=77
Action225=70
Action224=90
Action223=31
Action222=25
Action221=24
Action220=29
Action219=28
Action218=42
Action217=87
Action216=65
Action215=63
Action214=60
Action213=62
Action212=61
Action211=66
Action210=59
Action209=71
Action208=89
Action207=72
Action206=30
Action205=55
Action204=67

[Autopause Options]
End Of Combat Round=0
Mine Sighted=0
Enemy Sighted=1
Party Killed=1
Action Menu=0
New Target Selected=1

[Movies Shown]
Movie10=85
Movie 9=85
Movie 8=85
Movie 7=85
Movie 6=85
Movie 5=85
Movie 4=85
Movie 3=85
Movie 2=85
Movie 1=85
Movie 0=93
Old 09-27-2009, 10:47 PM   #155
Q
The one who knocks

Open swkotor2.ini and set Fullscreen=1 and Vsync=1 under Graphics Options, then save and exit.

-Toker
Old 09-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #156
Fortier
Lurker

Done, still having the same issue.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #157
Q
The one who knocks

Well, if you installed the game in XP compatibility mode as an admin and you've got the new mss32.dll and the new swkotor2.exe (the latter from SecuROM) in the main folder, and you're launching the game in XP compatibility mode as an admin, it should run.

Try going back into the .ini file and change the resolution under Graphics Options to Height=600, Width=800, then Anisotropy=1, Anti Aliasing=0, Texture Quality=0 and Grass=0.

Beyond that I'm stumped. Maybe Astro will come along and catch something that I'm missing.

-Toker
Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #158
Fortier
Lurker

Still nothing. Been tinkering around a bit, I have managed to get the game to run with no sound, but that isn't exactly what I was aiming for.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #159
Q
The one who knocks

So it's sound and not graphics. Have you tried the "Force Software Sound" option?

-Toker
Old 09-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #160
Fortier
Lurker

Yes I have, still nothing.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report