lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: have I been honest and not overly critical?
Keep it up! 127 78.40%
Maybe a little slack 17 10.49%
Tighten up the restrictions 10 6.17%
go away 15 9.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: The Critic's 2 cents
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #1041
Agincourt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by machievelli View Post
Coruscant Entertainment Center

Curse of the Star Forge
Agincourt

Post KOTOR: The resurrected Dark Lord begins his conquest

Some cumbersome sentences. ‘Although it hit the wall where Vrook had been standing in front of,’ would have been better as ‘Although it hit the wall where Vrook had been standing,’. That being said, all in all it was an excellent first attempt.

The one thing I have consistently hated about Star Wars has been that the bad guys are always completely bad. So irredeemably evil that even Jedi can’t see ways to redeem them. Anakin goes from fearing for Padme’s life to slaughtering children. From loving her to trying to murder her. In KOTOR you don’t even have the chance to redeem Malak, it’s only kill or be killed.

I considered this; assume Padme dies giving birth. Obi Wan hides the children, but then, contacts Vader meets him alone, then tells him the truth, but only that Padme died at his hands, and there are children. Instead of spending eighteen to twenty odd years crushing resistance, could he, the same man who gave his life to save his now adult son, have continued on that course? Could he have been redeemed then?
Thanks, but I really don't know what you meant by that. Are you complimenting that I didn't make Revan the Pure evil Sith that Malak was? I guess I really don't know how I would describe Revan as. A guy who does the wrong things for the right reasons? A decisive warlord like Ghengis Khan? An exhausted and disgruntled individual? A guy in a tight situation only trying to limit what he's lost?

My version of Revan has the memories of why he sought the Star Forge in the first place and is trying to use it to help the Republic recover from Malak's reign. After the first chapter, the Republic surrendered and Revan became supreme commander while permitting them to maintain their governments as they were. Revan uses the Star Forge to help them, but is desperate to get the Republic to be self-reliant, except he finds out that not everyone is willing to accept having to live with a communist-form of economy. In theory, if everyone did as he directed, the Republic would flourish, but in practice, he has to deal with people who rebel and resist change.
Agincourt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #1042
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Current Game: Dungeonseige series
Hot Topic Starter Veteran Fan Fic Author Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agincourt View Post
Thanks, but I really don't know what you meant by that. Are you complimenting that I didn't make Revan the Pure evil Sith that Malak was?
I was complimenting you on doing what I had done in my own KOTOR work; made him as you said, doing the wrong thing for the right reasons. Nothing in life is perfectly black and white, good and evil.

'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

From the one who brought you;
What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Star Wars: The Beginning
Star Wars: Republic Dawn
Return From Exile
machievelli is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #1043
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysyacha View Post
Tysyacha comes across as "a bit whiny" because she's young, inexperienced, and scared to death of Vrook. Consider a child: When s/he's totally being beaten at any kind of game and doesn't know how to win, s/he might start wondering, and whining, about if his/her opponent is playing fair.
I understood that. It just struck me she was whining a bit too much, Tys. Considering how many of your works I have reviewed, how often have I come down really hard?

'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 08-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #1044
Tysyacha
One of Thousands

Current Game: Dragon Age II
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
None. *giggle* I just spent a lot more time on this than I have on other fics and consider it my "baby"...at least for the moment.
Tysyacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #1045
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
And mach, about 2112, any chance you're a fan of Rush?

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #1046
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
And mach, about 2112, any chance you're a fan of Rush?
my musical tastes are eclectic. There are a couple songs of their I think I like, if I could remember the titles

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 08-29-2009, 01:02 AM   #1047
Darth Kalverys
Dark Lord

Quote:

Curse of the Star Forge
Agincourt

Post KOTOR: The resurrected Dark Lord begins his conquest

Some cumbersome sentences. ĎAlthough it hit the wall where Vrook had been standing in front of,í would have been better as ĎAlthough it hit the wall where Vrook had been standing,í. That being said, all in all it was an excellent first attempt.

The one thing I have consistently hated about Star Wars has been that the bad guys are always completely bad. So irredeemably evil that even Jedi canít see ways to redeem them. Anakin goes from fearing for Padmeís life to slaughtering children. From loving her to trying to murder her. In KOTOR you donít even have the chance to redeem Malak, itís only kill or be killed.

I considered this; assume Padme dies giving birth. Obi Wan hides the children, but then, contacts Vader meets him alone, then tells him the truth, but only that Padme died at his hands, and there are children. Instead of spending eighteen to twenty odd years crushing resistance, could he, the same man who gave his life to save his now adult son, have continued on that course? Could he have been redeemed then?

Welcome to the forum. What I say next has rarely been said to someone on their first attempt.

Pick of the Week.

Mission Vao's Birthday Bash
Chevron 7 locke

KOTOR on Manaan: A birthday party is thrown for the youngest crew member.

Tys was right, I did laugh at this one. Picturing Bastila drunk and wanting a bed time story, the comments from everyone on the stone, all were choice and fit the characters.

For just a moment, I was considering that the message stone might have been a form of holocron, so I also pictured this little voice in the back ground plaintively saying; ĎOw, ow, ow, will you please stop cutting at me?í.

Pick of the Week

Mandalore Wars: The Four Jedi Generals
Ashnan Corri

PreKOTOR: The people who would later lead the Republic forces gather.

Itís wary (alert) instead of weary (Tired). The reaction of the Master when he heard that Revan had gone to see the holocron felt a bit off, as if he were indifferent.

The characterization is good if a bit stilted. Your name sake isnít even noticed until he and Alek square off. Of them all, only he seems to be the voice of reason.

How to Suckceed at Chess Without Really Trying
Tysyacha

NonSW: A lighter side view of chess.

I always like Terri Pratchettís take on chess best. In one of this book, a character commented mentally that if all the pawns worked together, the board would be a Republic in eight moves.

Alkonium

NonSW: The world suddenly faces music again

As far as scripting goes it flowed well, but there wasnít enough of the drab world youíre trying to change to get a feel for it.

Overclocked
Tysyacha

PreKOTOR: Dvyx faces Master Vrook

It was interesting looking into the head of a student fighting a master and wishing she could win. She came across as a bit whiny, worrying more about the fairness of the bout than anything else at that time. Since we never heard the call to cease, I was left wondering if Vrook had called it so he wouldnít lose, rather than because he was done.

kotorfanmedia

Light Side Female Exile

Catching up the past
Shade

Remember conversation breaks. You used scow (old decrepit boat) when I think you meant cow. Changed tense by using surprise instead of surprised. Itís get brainwashed not got brainwashed, Preventing (Stop) instead of Prevending (Before sales)

That being said, when I saw the comment about translating in your head, I understand some of the mistakes above. As I told another young writer a couple of years ago, I donít speak a second language well enough to try to write in them. On the whole the work is pretty good. Itís been a long time since I have seen a fiction work in third person, so it was a refreshing change.

A Jedi, or Something Like It
Obaona
TSL en route from Nar Shadaa to Onderon: Atton grows in his use of the Force with a gentle hand.

I think you meant I promise you that much instead of I swear you that much. When you said individual I think you meant sentient or alive. Attuned instead of attune.

The piece is a quiet introspective work, allowing you to see the inner workings of his mind as he grows toward the confrontations ahead. Well done.

Pick of the Week

You are my opposite
Revan Sama

TSL: The Exile considers why she followed Revan.

The piece was missed because I thought it was poetry rather than a story. However I noticed that I was mistaken, sorry RS. The play of opposition was well done, showing all od the things that are different, but below that all of the things that drew the woman after him like a moth to a flame.

Pick of the Week

Dark Side Male Revan

The Force Shall Set Me Free
Darth Naughtious

PreKOTOR: As Revan confronts Bastila, he finds himself faltering as the dark lord

The piece was excellent, feeding us Revanís thoughts in bite sized chunks. The path he had taken to this point is lovingly laid out, and having him awaken on the Endar Spire is a perfect place to end it.

Pick of the Week

Dark Empire -Jenesis- Part 1, Glimmer of Hope
KnightOfTheWord

PostTSL: With the threat looming, the Jedi begin a frantic search for more Jedi.

Itís imminent (anticipated), rather than immanent (remaining within), read out rather than read-up. Donít worry about it, these are editing problems. James Patterson commented in one of his more recent books that the character saw three different print newsmen make the same mistake as number one above.

The arguments were refreshing; The idea that the new council would decide to allow marriages was a foregone conclusion, primarily because few of them had been Jedi under the old order. Yet you can see the resistance from the old guard.

The Magnificent Mr. Rakata!
Elwin Ransom

KOTOR Post Korriban: Inside the Rakata box

I was almost ready to click on by because I tend to detest stories tired too directly to the game itself, but I read on.

And Iím glad I did. Having the alter ego of Revan be a version of Peter Griffin from Family guy was choice, and Bastila in love with the dope even though he is a moron was cute. Escaping the box by reloading the most recent save hilarious. My only question is this:

Is he going to be dumb enough to try it again?

Pick of the Week
Ashnan is spending the night and he is sitting next to me right now... And he wants to say this, though I advised him against it, but he likes to speak his mind. *cough* *cough* *loser* *cough* *cough*... Ow! He just hit me... but anyway...

He says and I quote... "I spelled weary as wary, but it looked wrong to me."

Oh and sorry we quoted the whole post, we're on my phone and I could figure how to erase all but his post without taking 70 years to do so.
Darth Kalverys is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2009, 02:11 AM   #1048
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueben Shan View Post
Ashnan is spending the night and he is sitting next to me right now... And he wants to say this, though I advised him against it, but he likes to speak his mind. *cough* *cough* *loser* *cough* *cough*... Ow! He just hit me... but anyway...

He says and I quote... "I spelled weary as wary, but it looked wrong to me."

Oh and sorry we quoted the whole post, we're on my phone and I could figure how to erase all but his post without taking 70 years to do so.
It's could not RS. And if it would take you that long, you are less technically literate than myself. It would have only taken me a few hours.

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 08-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #1049
Darth Kalverys
Dark Lord

I'd thought I had hit couldn't. -.- I had a long night last night... however I was joking about it taking 70 years.
Darth Kalverys is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #1050
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueben Shan View Post
I'd thought I had hit couldn't. -.- I had a long night last night... however I was joking about it taking 70 years.
I should hope so.

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 09-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #1051
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Whole lotta loss
Vanir

No specific era given: A rescue mission encounters horror

It’s console (Panel) not consol (Give comfort).

The basics were good, the action well done. Having the creature be a vampire (As in blood sucking type) stretched it a bit. Also as something that sucked life, the bio systems (Lighting on the derelict ship and the biometric capacitors on his own ship) would have been drained as well. There is no explanation as to why mechanical devices should be affected by drainage and these systems would not. Nor how he could set up a self destruct without thinking of it.

Technical note: You keep thinking of a ship as a building. You gave dimensions in both stories and the proper keel and beam lengths, the correct term is draught. It would be a deck plan, not a floor plan. I see there is yet another article for the resource center here.

Loss
Alkonium

Set in Alkonium’s AU: The main character remembers the events that led up to the present.

The piece is well done, albeit short. It is more a prologue than a story Al.

exodus is created
Exoduz

Many years before KOTOR: A Jedi kills what he loves.

The piece is too short and abrupt to judge. You went from one fight scene to another with little between, leaving me unsatisfied as to why anything was happening. You also killed one character long before his time.

The New Sith Empire
Ashnan Corri

The Battle of Endor: What if Luke had fallen to the Dark Side here?

The writing is pretty good AC, but the sheer logistics of what you portray don’t measure up. First, the only Republic troops on Endor were the team Han and Leia brought, so there were no ‘countless waves’ to confront. As for the space battle the fleet they faced was large enough to smash the Rebel alliance fleet if as Shakespeare had commented ‘any order may be found’.

As was shown on Jabba’s Sail barge, Luke was good, but not so good he could protect himself against a number of people at the same time. If the Rebels had concentrated their fire on him the battle would have ended there.

I can’t see Leia and the others merely knuckling under either. Han had too much experience fighting against the Empire to merely cave in so readily, and Leia would have hated her brother for doing what he had done to betray their cause. Like a lot of ‘the good guy goes bad’ stories, everything went too well for the bad guys.

Over at kotorfanmedia I have just finished off the Light Side Male Revan category, and will start on the Light Side Male Exile next.

Light Side Male Revan

The Sub Nazi
Elwin Ransom

KOTOR On Manaan: The greatest warriors in the galaxy lost to them?

I brought this up and began reading. The reason I used Canderous’ line above is simply because I didn’t believe they had lost to them either. Having Canderous admit to being a romance writer was a riot, and the entire ‘Sub-Nazi’ sub plot was outrageous. Too ridiculous for words, but a lot of fun.

Pick of the Week

Psychotic Man Slayers
Triple E

KOTOR Aboard Ebon Hawk: Trapped in hyperspace with three women at that time of the month…

Being in my fifties, I have seen every stage of PMS they portrayed here, and I wanted to roll on the floor and laugh. Jolee’s reaction was perfect, Canderous dives for cover, Dryan (Revan) gets drenched and Carth was the unwitting target. Just delightful.

Pick of the Week

Knight of the Old Republic, Chapter 1 : The Endar Spire
Taryn

KOTOR aboard the Endar Spire: The frantic rush to escape.

The piece was good if a bit generic. Having the main character be rattled by the idea of combat and surviving more by luck than anything else was a good bit.

My view when I did the same scene with my own LSF Revan was that there were too many muscle memories to avoid, so mine was a soldier believing herself a sergeant, so efficiency would be the norm.

There were no major problems with it, just polishing, which is good. One of the better retellings of this scene.

Hangover
Lord Zeuss

KOTOR on Dantooine: Starting your training with a headache and needing to make an apology is not a good thing

From the title I fully expected the headache to be a hangover, but was pleasantly surprised. The interplay from Belaya walking by to see him in the nude to Bastila being upset that he had apologized first was very well done. If the game had shown such a lackluster beginning, we would have despaired of him ever learning the force.

Evanescent Part 1
Lord Zeuss

Six months PostKOTOR: Torn by visions, Revan must journey into Unknown space. Bue he will not be going alone.

This sentence; ‘comprehension without understanding’ confused me, because the definition of comprehension is perception or understanding. I understand what you mean, knowing what and how to fit in without understanding the method of it, but some might stumble over the phrase before they get it.

The piece is well wrought, the fact that both suffer from regrets for what they had done well established. The vision, as visions do, tell little, but give us a sense of foreboding. This looks like one of those I am going to wish I could read all the way through.

Pick of the Week

Of Love
TehRyder

KOTOR After Leviathan: Carth can have his revenge… If he denies his heart.

Except for the last few paragraphs, you would not even know this is a slash story. The hatred Carth must feel for the one he believes is the author of his pain is perfectly portrayed. Revan’s reply when asked, that he can’t think of a reason why Carth should not kill him perfect in the weariness of someone who has just been told he is the most hated man in the universe. Even without the ending, it would have worked, as none of us could see Carth as a cold blooded killer.

Pick of the week

The Collectors, Part 1
Ryl00

KOTOR enroute to Tatooine: An unexpected delay has the crew deciding to do some exploring.

The interplay between the characters at the Pazaak table is humorous, Jolee coming across as not too bright, but as one who has dealt with card sharps before, I found it amusing. Too short to get an accurate feel for it.

Missing Pieces: Chapter 1
Back In Blaque

PostKOTOR: Sequel to Too Many Justins, a failed spy finds only one way out.

Without reading the entire story (Which I have not done; I have too much going on in my life to read everything that appeals to me) I was a bit lost. I did work out what was happening, but as another reviewer said, not knowing who most of the characters were slowed me down. The angst and decision were well done.

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 09-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #1052
ryl00
Lurker

Quote:
The Collectors, Part 1
Ryl00

KOTOR enroute to Tatooine: An unexpected delay has the crew deciding to do some exploring.

The interplay between the characters at the Pazaak table is humorous, Jolee coming across as not too bright, but as one who has dealt with card sharps before, I found it amusing. Too short to get an accurate feel for it.
Thanks for the review! I meant for Jolee to come across as teasing Mission by intentionally 'acting his age' (older person frustrates younger person trying to teach him/her something), but obviously it wasn't clear.
ryl00 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #1053
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
My fic Loss wasn't supposed to be a standalone story, more an in-character retrospective on events in The Sith Resurrection Part V.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-07-2009, 03:01 AM   #1054
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryl00 View Post
Thanks for the review! I meant for Jolee to come across as teasing Mission by intentionally 'acting his age' (older person frustrates younger person trying to teach him/her something), but obviously it wasn't clear.
On Star Trek the Next Generation they had an episode where someone asked Commander Riker if he knew Poker, and he replied, 'I've heard of the game' which implied as Jolee did that he didn't know the game...

That is what I meant about cardsharps, kid.

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 09-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #1055
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Storytelling
Darth Betrayal

No era given: The children of the Wookiee listen to stories.

The setting is interesting, but I for one would have wished to hear the professional just to see the balance. Good work.

Reality Show 2012: Skeletons in my Closet
Tysyacha

NonSW Fiction: A new reality show is revealed

The piece sounds interesting. I for one loathe reality shows. My usual sarcastic comment is that if you want a real reality show, grab a bunch of Amish and dump them in Las Vegas, or a tribe of Kalahari bushmen dumped in any big city.

The modern reality show puts them in tough situations, but nothing really life threatening.

Alkonium

This piece was reviewed previously, and this is a requested second review.

The biggest problem Alkonium is that musicals are not really my thing; The last musical I saw that I enjoyed was 1776.

The plot is good, like any where a utopian society faces some grit in the gears. Remember that the word Utopia if translated directly from the original Greek meant ‘no place’. Such societies are always static because change would cause disruption. But as the Norse gods found out, a static society leads to Ragnarok.

I, Avenian
Lord of Hunger

This piece was reviewed previously, and this is a requested second review.

Technical comment: Ordering that no prisoners would be taken is not only a violation of the Jedi mindset, it is a war crime. Units have done so in history, the First Special Service Force from WWII comes to mind, but if you are trying to break the morale of an enemy, it is not a way to do it. The only thing that would come of it is the enemy would use the same attitude. The problem you would have is everyone who was sick of fighting would keep fighting all the harder, and any of your men already captured would now be at risk. Worse yet, if there were honest trials afterward, your actions would be considered the cause of the enemy’s action, so the guilt of all of those unnecessary deaths would be yours to shoulder.

Remember, the rallying cry of the Texas War of Independence was to remember the Alamo and Goliad, both places where captured prisoners were killed out of hand.

One question; was the Mando’a woman killed protecting Cathar civilians supposed to be any relation to my Merissa, as in her daughter Tirith?

kotorfanmedia

Light Side Female Revan

Sleepless Nights
NyghtRaven

Starting two months PostKOTOR: As memories emerge, Revan must go to the Unknown Region, leaving her love behind

The piece is interesting, primarily because of the vague nature of her memories. The scene on the planet at the end, her cursing her ship and threatening the local wildlife was choice.

The Reunion
NyghtRaven

Ten years PostKOTOR: A badly batter Revan is returned to the Republic, and Carth can only undertake a vigil at her side.

If this is supposed to be a sequel for sleepless nights, then Revan appears to have slipped her leash again. The vigil, and HK’s reaction was well done.

Light Side Male Revan

New Dawn Fades, Prelude
Ryl00

KOTOR Aboard Star Forge: Revan has only one choice, and even as he acts, he regrets it.

The piece was poignant. The scene is etched in your mind as you picture it, and while you know what he must do, you regret it almost as much as he does.

Pick of the Week

Carth's Blaster, Part 1
Ryl00

KOTOR on Manaan: Bastila and Mission team up to retrieve Carth’s blaster… The fact that Mission is the one who lost it in a pazaak game is purely incidental…

The piece was amusing, primarily in Mission’s constant attempts to make it ‘their’ problem rather than her own, and twisting Bastila around her finger like a cheap dime store ring. It’s a pity I won’t have the time to follow up on it. With this as an example, I’m seriously bummed.

Pick of the Week

Light Side Male Exile

Hunter Chronicles
Darth Hunter

Possibly Post TSL: A Sith lord begins hunting the Ebon Hawk’s crew.

The piece flowed well, but the battle was confusing. The main reason is with seven light saber wielding people fighting, there isn’t a compartment aboard the Ebon Hawk large enough for the battle you describe. Also, it would have been more logical for him to disable the ship first rather than board. The scene cutting through the blast door is reminiscent of Phantom Menace, but a ship as small as the Ebon Hawk would not have redundant blast doors; there isn’t enough space in the deck plan to hold them.

That Old, Familiar Feeling
WraithFighter

PostTSL: One way to get him to talk is get him drunk

The piece flowed very well, and as much as Bastila denigrated it, delaying the inevitable is a good choice if you’re overmatched. The scene in the bar was perfect, and I had not anticipated that the waitress would be Mission. I understood Atton’s fear, as we all do (The scene usually happens on Nar Shaddaa) so moving it to here after the game is a well thought out tactic.

The Wayside, Chapter One
gan xinqba

Originally posted 13 January 2006 Original review below;

Set in KOTOR II I believe. An intelligence agent and an ex-Jedi apprentice investigate the suspicious deaths of several Jedi masters.

Written in a journalistic style, the author leads you gently into the story with a bit about the main character, setting the scene and characters, and draws you into his created world. Very well done.

Reprise Pick of the Week

Stray Shot
Skypilot

TSL after Nar Shaddaa: A dream reveals some reality

The basics are good. The dream segueing into the present with Mira finally recognizing the person in it smoothly done. The idea that the Exile needed to be redeemed from the dark side and her actions then had done so well done.

Pick of the Week

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 09-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #1056
The Betrayer
Forumite

Current Game: The Godfather II
Helpful! 
My fic isn't over yet. I'm going to do the professional story too. Thanks for the review.

OMNIA MUTANTUR NIHIL INTERIT.
The Betrayer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2009, 12:38 AM   #1057
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Betrayal View Post
My fic isn't over yet. I'm going to do the professional story too. Thanks for the review.
As I would expect and anticipate.

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 09-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #1058
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Astor Kaine
Conspiracy

Coruscant after the formation of the new Republic: A police officer is caught up in a web of intrigue.

The basic story is pretty good, AK, but there are some procedural problems in the last scenes. There is an old Dragnet TV show (All episodes based on factual events) that springs to mind. Sergeant Friday is walking into a Laundromat, and catches a man slip wiring a coin machine. When he shouts he is a police officer, the man draws a gun and fires at him. Friday shoots the man. In the episode the investigation turned ugly when there is no sign of the bullet the assailant had fired. At that point Friday was relieved of duty pending investigation.

First: A street cop is not going to arrest a sergeant at this point. The facts may not be in, but he is still a police officer. He would have been held at the scene while other specialist officers arrived. Among them would be homicide, Internal Affairs (Due to an officer involved shooting) and forensics. Only after these had arrived would anything be done about him specifically. Homicide would determine what they could, and IA would have escorted him down town, still uncuffed. At that time, he would be suspended for the duration of investigation, and his sidearm taken. He would still not be arrested or detained.

Second, it is a common stance under law enforcement that flight implies guilt. While the kid trying to make the bust is overstepping his authority, the sergeant is now believed to be the murderer, because logically an innocent man would not flee.

The Rise of Darth Scorcher
onebaddude

After formation of the New Republic: A new menace arises.

The basics are good, but we know nothing of any note about the main character.

As I have said before, things go a little too well for the bad guy. He hides his fall, takes control of the Imperial remnant (Which has been tried by other ascending Darths who failed miserably) then sits like a spider waiting for a new Jedi to come along and become his apprentice.

Also if there was a replacement for Palpatine there should be more about him recorded. How he fought the Rebel Alliance for example, and how he died. You have added him as your non-canon character, but there is less about him than about the main one.

Not bad for a first attempt. Welcome to the forum.

Alternate history: U.S.A. vs. France
Ping

Not much yet. However there are some glaring flaws in the logic.

New Orleans was ceded to the Spanish in the Treaty of 1763, and the city did not return to French rule until 1801. Then in 1803 the city was ceded to the US along with the Louisiana purchase. So your French government would have to be fighting two wars; one against the Spanish, and also with the US. Fighting Spain would be no biggie, the Spanish Empire started crumbling not long after the Armada.

Napoleon was only a general in 1798; he would not hold his coup d’etat until a year later, and would not become Emperor until 1804. Part of the reason Napoleon as First Consul sold the Louisiana purchase to the US was because of staggering debts caused by the Monarchy and the first Republic.

Welcome to the forum

Over at kotorfanmedia Satiar sent me an email asking that I review this work. If the blurb isn’t what you wanted, kid; let me know.

kotorfanmedia

Not Always Made to Last
Satiar

KOTOR After the Star Forge: The relationship ends gently, and both feel a bit relieved.

The piece is wonderful work. The sadness of a relationship ending, but friendship even at a distance remains for both. Poignant is the best way to describe it.

Pick of the Week

Light Side Female Revan

Into Darkness Chapter One
Jayd

Originally reviewed 23 June 06. That review is below.
During the confrontation in the Rakatan Temple in KOTOR I: Revan takes a middle road not offered in the game.

Well written, intriguing suggestions. Worth a second glance.

The problem with a game such as KOTOR is that you are faced with what are essentially binary solutions. If you do this, you slide toward the dark side, if you do this instead, you slide toward the light. Real life is more like what Jayd portrays.

That is what bothers me. Back in the 60s, a lot of people compared the Lord of the Rings to the Second World War, which was raging when Tolkien wrote it. When asked Tolkien replied that the attitude of the ‘ends justifies the means’ would have had someone putting on the ring to defeat Sauron, then someone else would have had to kill this new terror quickly.

His last comment was the most telling. ‘To be the good guy means refusing to take that easy road‘.

As Jayd asked, I read it and the rewrite is as powerful as the original. All I can say is…

Reprise Pick of the Week

Light Side Male Revan

SW KOTOR: Fall
Darth Zether

PreMandalorian Wars: A vision of the future sets what will later be KOTOR in motion.

It wasn’t until I found out about Alek that I figured out who the main character was. It was interesting and the only thing that bothered me about the KOTOR universe in that the Dark Side version still had the same name since everyone else seems to have some ludicrous name assigned.

Leaving that aside the piece is well wrought, and the call to arms very strong. I have always thought that standing aside showed not restraint but cowardice on the part of the council I honestly believe if they had explained their reasoning, the Jedi might not have gone to war and fallen.

Light Side Male Exile

Chapter I: Awaken
Green Dragon

TSL on Peragus: The Exile begins his mission.
The telling is generic, though the asides to himself were interesting.

Hiding
Attonrand

TSL enroute to Telos: Atton may be hiding something new.

The piece started out pretty generic, but changed abruptly. The change surprised and delighted me. Very well done.

Pick of the Week

Spam Wars
AngryFan

TSL Aboard Ebon Hawk bound for Nar Shaddaa: The Sith and Jedi hostility is nothing compared to mods and forumites…

An amusing little piece. It started out a bit generic, Atton and the Exile playing pazaak, then the skifter hit’s the table. From there it went off at a tangent, and never really came back. It was fun.

Not-So-Pure Pazaak
Attonrand

TSL Aboard Ebon Hawk: Well at least they’re not fighting…

The piece was a lot of fun. The pair did everything but fight. And the ending as Atton would say, was pure pazaak.

Pick of the Week

Not So Epic Endings
DarthRevanrlz

TSL on Malachor V: This would have been a better ending.

Dialogue only works sometimes, and it did in this case. As another reviewer commented, I could hear the raised voices, flailing arms, and angry faces in my head. The back and forth became amusing, even arguing over what to call Kreia-Traya caused me to smile. Being hung up on admitting she is his mother even making him search his feelings over and over made me laugh.

This would have been a better script for the end, of course most of us would agree that anything might have been better.

Pick of the Week

Exile vs. Sion
Revan The White

TSL on Malachor V: The fight between Sion and the Exile takes several weird turns.

The piece was light and amusing. Interrupting a saber duel so Sion can take a voice call from Atris was choice.

Pick of the Week

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 09-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #1059
Darth Scorcher
Rookie

Thanks for the review, although honestly I'm not tempted to continue the series since I haven't had much feedback other than yours, but still, thanks.

You will succumb to my dark power! I have forseen it!
Darth Scorcher is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #1060
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Scorcher View Post
Thanks for the review, although honestly I'm not tempted to continue the series since I haven't had much feedback other than yours, but still, thanks.
if you look at my more recent stuff you will see few comments. It's like pulling teeth sometimes. So don't let that deter you

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 09-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #1061
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

kotorfanmedia

Light Side Female Exile

They Break in the Head
Inuki

TSL Aboard the Ebon Hawk: Atton explains where one of his injuries came from

An interesting blending of Star Wars and Asimov’s Three Laws of Robotics. We see too many droids killing people to really accept it, though the theory makes sense for a civilian populace.

Light Side Male Revan

The Altar of Judgment - 1: Cornered
Bobgens001

PostKOTOR: Revan and Bastila go on a mission that doesn’t start smoothly

The work is well done, the situation laid out smoothly, even the humor fit well. Fearing what you were and what you might become again is a constant in the Star Wars universe spicing it just a little.

Pick of the Week

Light Side Male Exile

Heart of the Huntress
Bakhu

TSL on Malachor V: Mira has to tell him how she feels… just not yet.

The interplay between Mira’s emotions and the events going on around them is a fun read. Having as much competition as she does is no help to the emotions she wants to express. The last line is perfect, a logical unemotional reason to remain.

And as Doctor McCoy said at another such rational pint, in a pig’s eye.

Pick of the week.

From One Exile to Another Chapter 1: I Looked Upon him with Love

DarthGriz98

TSL On Telos: The handmaiden carries out her part of Kreia’s plan, and discovers that she does love the Exile.

The piece was interesting albeit short. The flow could have been better, and the fight scenes were too abbreviated. Nothing that polishing would not cure.

Chapter One - Snap Shots from the Past
Wintera

Originally reviewed 21 July 2006. Review below

Prelude to KOTOR: The events from before finding the Star Map to the direct confrontation with Mandalore.

An excellent work. The author had my attention from the first. My only problem is ‘who’ is the master she spends time with at the start? Unfortunately, I do not have time to read all of the other postings.

Reprise Pick of the Week

The Bounty Hunter and the Scoundrel, Chapter 1
Kandon Kuuson

PostTSL: With the Exile now off to find Revan the characters miss specific people.

As an introduction this was outstanding. Having the male and female characters paired off, yet unsure if the other returns their affections is well done. Especially that bit of jealousy from Brianna at the end…

Pick of the Week

The Horn Mystery
Kandon Kuuson

Post Yuuzan Vong wars: Corran Horn learns more about his elusive ancestor.

Forgetting words, ‘He looked at tool of information” Which should have been ‘He looked at the tool of information’ and ‘While I bring up the necessary information’ which should have been Wait while I bring up the necessary information’. Don’t feel too bad. It’s something I do when a story is flowing well.

As another noted, Keiran Halcyon was from only four centuries previous, not 4 millennia. But not a bad idea.

The General Returns to War
Ocelott

Originally posted 22 Dec 2006, that review is below;

Set after TSL: The exile finally meets Revan again.

The scenes are well laid out, the story flows smoothly.

The self denigrating way Danna (Revan) speaks is instantly appealing. My favorite line is Revan’s ‘Go figure. You create an evil empire, kill a few million people, and you start to get a bad rep.”

Reprise pick of the week

Dear Diary
Evil Shall Giggle

TSL After Telos: Atris rereads her diary

The piece was cute because even in her diary, Atris is too bluntly honest with herself. She imagines what could have happened, then what actually did. Each time stepping a little further away from the Exile, then mourning his departure alone rather than admit it.

Nice to see our favorite ice maiden had a a heart after all.

When We Say Good Bye
Shara

PreTSL: After being sentenced to Exile, he had to say goodbye

The piece is excellent in a number of ways. As another commented, it was curious to see Atris jealous of a female Revan for taking away ‘her’ man. Another excellent work.

Pick of the Week

Live a little
Shara

PreTSL: With a little effort, friendship will grow.

An interesting view, especially taken with the story by the same author above. We see here what might be the beginning of a relationship between Atris and the Exile. Perhaps all someone had to do was really give her the attention she unwittingly craved.

Pick of the Week

Burning Heart
Darkness and Light

Post TSL: The Exile didn’t know what he would give up to find Revan

The piece is all dialogue, and heartrending. I was bothered that the author never revealed who was supposed to be his wife. But we know he misses her deeply.

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 09-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #1062
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
Quote:
Welcome to the forum
Heh, thanks. I didn't expect to have a review with praise or anything, but still, what you pointed out is good to help me write a better story . This just means I'll have to do my research more carefully .

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #1063
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
Heh, thanks. I didn't expect to have a review with praise or anything, but still, what you pointed out is good to help me write a better story . This just means I'll have to do my research more carefully .
The thing to remember about alternate history is to use something that could easily happen because of events. As an example, Harry Harrison wrote Stars and Stripes forever which started out as a good premise (England going to war with us because of the Trent Affair) but then had the South reconciling too easily after the battle of Shiloh (And an attack on Confederate Mobile by the Brits) to fight the British invaders.

From what I've seen of the Southern commanders, I would have sat back and waited for the North to either be defeated, or kick into high gear so that they face a war on two fronts, not reconcile and fight together.

In fact, if I could find out more about the Sweetcomb&Long Land battery, I would be able to proceed with my own alternate history of that period. The device mentioned above was the first attempt at what we call a tank.

The period you picked would not have made Napoleon's job easier, as the Nile Campaign might have.

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 10-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #1064
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Music of the Force
Writer

Submission to the Getting the Crystals contest.

During AOTC: A young Jedi goes in search of her own crystal, and faces her dark self.

I know when Writer is posting, it is usually good and I wasn’t disappointed. The piece flows well, and seeing the brash young girl go off and end up stranded was perfect. Her travails both mental and physical were reduced, but remembering how much ‘fun’ it was to do a multiple posting for the contests I could understand that.

The idea that Sith hunters would be around still was a bit confusing. Since the Sith had been reduced in numbers by the rule of two, it would be like building a palisade around a modern city to stop Indian attacks. But having that person as a foil at the start helped the story along.

If I voted this would get one.

Pick of the week

T'katlu
Endorenna

During the Mandalorian wars: A prisoner is released by Malek to pursue her destiny at his command.

The story is good, it flows well, and the gaining of the stones is well done. Turning it’s own spines against it was a good move, though it could have been immune to the poison as most venomous things are.

Another I would have voted for.

The Brush and Palette For Words That Are Gone Unsaid
Mr BFA

NonSW fiction: A dissertation on obsession.

The piece is good in a very disturbing way. The main character is obsessed with this young girl, and the scene stark as it is, revolves around her and the feelings she creates in the viewer.

Star Wars: The Ides of Fall
JediMaster12

KOTOR on Endar Spire: Revan fights through the escape

Except for one point, calling the weapon a melee blade, the piece is well done. The flashes of déjà vu were the most interesting part, along with the impetus of a light saber slicing through the last door to get them moving.

kotorfanmedia

Light Side Female Revan

Tao Fel: Chapter 1 - The Smuggler
Sonn4Jam3s

KOTOR aboard Endar Spire: Our hero makes it to the escape pods and off the ship.

A generic retelling, though having her be a heavy drinker obsessed with Trask’s touchy (The word is tushy actually) was amusing. She goes from teasing Trask to now noticing Carth’s looks without a pause. Fun read.

Light Side Female Exile

The way the universe ends part I
ThePicPic

TSL after Malachor V: For the first time in seven years, the Exile feels Revan’s presence, and must go to his aid.

The writing is good if a bit rushed. You ran across the deaths in both adventures as if flipping through a set of pictures, Bastila, Bao Dur, Michal, all gone but not telling us how they died.

On the technical side, considering the Star Forge could churn out ships like an assembly line, how had the Sith without the same technology created something that would create an even larger fleet in that short a time? If you read my post
The economics and lag time of ship building. Post #145 you will see that using normal building methods, it would take three to four years per ship of the Frigate or cruiser classes while the Star Forge was building them in days.

Dark Side Male Revan

The Galaxies War:Ch.1: Aftermath
Darth Raelic

PostKOTOR and present: As Revan plots his return to power, Darth Sidious tells Vader of what had occurred in the past.

The piece was disjointed, making the reader jump from premise to premise. This is a flow problem, easily corrected by polishing. Beyond that it was an intriguing read.

Technical 1: Concerning ‘It was a weapon that the Sith used often.’. Working against booby traps (Or IEDs as they have taken to calling them) The first few usually will take out the man disarming them. However if the Sith use the technique often, the Ordinance people would have found a way to avoid or negate them. Watch a series named UXB from the BBC where they cover the evolution of the timed detonation bombs during WWII, and you will see what I mean. After all the Republic has fought the Sith before, and have been at it this time for over two years.

Technical 2: Since the Chancellor doesn’t have any authority over the Jedi, how could he have been the one to order Revan’s reprogramming?

Light Side Male Exile

A Hero Rises Ch.1-Struggle
Lord Revan 107

TSL aboard Ravager: The confrontation between Nihilus and the Exile.

The piece was interesting though the battle scene was a bit forced. I did like the idea of a Visas/Exile romance.

Exile's Journal, Chapter 1
Mantle of the Force

TSL on Peragus: The Exile begins his journey in a rather amusing manner.

Amidst a generic retelling of the first events, there is humor. Having the newly freed Exile run straight into the first door was cute, then screaming ‘Ah Zombie!” when Kreia sat up. A pity I don’t have time to read the follow on pieces with a beginning like that.

Ambush
Johnny

During the Mandalorian wars on Dxun: In the nick of time, the Jedi appears.

The piece had it’s good points, the setting of the scene, the sudden arrival of the Jedi, but it had some that confused me. As a simple military example, why is the loss of one recon unit of half a dozen men going to cause a full retreat from the planet?

Black Onyx
Katara Ironarm

PostKOTOR on Korriban: Revan plots her return to glory

The piece grabbed hold of you and dragged you through the events. Having Carth be Lord Sion after killing Bastila was choice. Describing Revan’s emotions as she plots not only against the Republic but also her new apprentice was just icing on the cake.

Pick of the week

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 10-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #1065
Writer
Not switching to DTV

Current Game: TrackMania Nations
Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:

Music of the Force
Writer

During AOTC: A young Jedi goes in search of her own crystal, and faces her dark self.

I know when Writer is posting, it is usually good and I wasnít disappointed. The piece flows well, and seeing the brash young girl go off and end up stranded was perfect. Her travails both mental and physical were reduced, but remembering how much Ďfuní it was to do a multiple posting for the contests I could understand that.

The idea that Sith hunters would be around still was a bit confusing. Since the Sith had been reduced in numbers by the rule of two, it would be like building a palisade around a modern city to stop Indian attacks. But having that person as a foil at the start helped the story along.

First off, thanks for the positive review!

I don't fault you for not understanding the presence of the Sith Hunters. If I had a lot of my other writing concerning them up and around, you may have better understood. At this point in history (roughly the start of the Clone Wars), Reibe is the only known surviving Sith Hunter. Furthermore, she was thought to be dead until shortly before 'The Phantom Menace'.

At present, Reibe's 'function' in the greater scheme of galactic happenings is that she's sort of presented herself as a 'Force-wielding thug' for the Republic to throw around. She occasionally takes missions from the Jedi, but she primarily acts as a Republic covert operative. In the Clone Wars, she did much the same, though her operations dealt more with the Seperatists than with commonplace thugs.

Essentially, she's around and most Jedi know her by name (and don't trust her as far as they could reach). But they don't know why she's suddenly back in action after having been missing for five hundred years, and her appearance combined with the fact that the Sith are in the process of making a comeback understandably concerns them.

One final thing I wanted to point out here: this story marks the first time that Reibe's foresight was dead wrong. That was fun

Mom tells me I need brain food... but if writing ain't that, I don't know what is!

My work in progress:
Hidden Histories: The Galaxy Hacker

Have a read, give a review, yah?
Writer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #1066
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Thanks mach for your words of critique. I for one just decided out of the blue to write this fic and hopefully get me back on track with some others after a long hiatus of grad school taking over my life.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #1067
The_Catto
The Rhythm Schism

Current Game: KotOR
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:

The Brush and Palette For Words That Are Gone Unsaid
Mr BFA

NonSW fiction: A dissertation on obsession.

The piece is good in a very disturbing way. The main character is obsessed with this young girl, and the scene stark as it is, revolves around her and the feelings she creates in the viewer.
Thanks for the review Mach, but I don't think I put across the idea as well as I could have...

The main character isn't obsessed with the young girl (cause let's face it, that'd be just creepy and weird) .. He's obsessed with this gothic woman who reminds him of the painting of the young girl in the room. What the idea of the painting represents: darkness, being alone ... you know .. all that jazz.

The woman reminds him of that painting and he combines the two, per se, and tries to understand what he's feeling for the gothic woman and to understand why she is the way she is... if that makes any sense what so ever.

Thanks again for the review

The_Catto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #1068
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Quote:
T'katlu
Endorenna

During the Mandalorian wars: A prisoner is released by Malek to pursue her destiny at his command.

The story is good, it flows well, and the gaining of the stones is well done. Turning itís own spines against it was a good move, though it could have been immune to the poison as most venomous things are.

Another I would have voted for.
Thank you. I thought about the critter being immune to its own poison, so I had her thrown the spine in a way that pierced its brain. You're right, though--I should've made it clearer. >_<

Oh, well. That's what I get for finishing things at three in the morning.

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2009, 02:07 AM   #1069
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorenna View Post
Thank you. I thought about the critter being immune to its own poison, so I had her thrown the spine in a way that pierced its brain. You're right, though--I should've made it clearer. >_<

Oh, well. That's what I get for finishing things at three in the morning.
Don't worry; how many people who read your stuff are critics?

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 10-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #1070
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Alora's Salvation
Shuttle Atlantis

Set in Jedi Academy II: Having been defeated yet again, Alora contemplates changing her future

Considering how most of the Dark, Jedi, Sith, Reborn whatever act, this is a refreshing change. To consider that maybe you had wasted your life and needed to find another path is something you expect of a Jedi or any real person.

Good work, and welcome to the forum.

kotorfanmedia

Light Side Male Exile

War Stories
Inuki

TSL Aboard Ebon Hawk en route to Korriban: A sleepless night draws out the reason for it.

The piece is soft, gentle, almost loving in it’s treatment of nightmares caused by a war. We always knew the Exile and Bao Dur had them, but it’s surprising to discover that Atton had been in the same hell at Malachor, and has as many nightmares as the others.

Pick of the Week

Heavenly Rewards
Elena

TSL after Malachor V: Fleeting glimpses of Mira’s life after the mission

The piece is a little too sad for me. Mira drifts through it as if she is still in a coma until the end, going through the motions of life rather than having one.

En Media Res
DarkSpiral

TSL on Nar Shaddaa: The crew takes the Ebon Hawk back from the slavers

The fight scene was brisk and well laid out. The snippy attitude of Brianna a bit much, but her reaction to Visas is perfect for a jealous woman.

A Gathering Storm, Chapter 1
Calan Qel Droma

PostTSL aboard Ebon Hawk after Malachor V: The Exile gives his last orders

The piece flowed well, the orders succinct and specific. The possibility of Brianna being the love interest was unrequited, but we understand as he speaks with Visas. Nicely done.

A Wound in the Force, Chapter 1
KingZephiel

PreMandalorian war: A parting as one goes to war

The basics are good, the argument more for form than anything else. The primary reason I hated the way the Jedi Council reacted to the war was after teaching for years that a Jedi’s duty is to the people, the council wasn’t willing to protect them.

Dissolve
Jen

PreKOTOR: With Revan Dead, the Exile sees life ahead and can’t stand it.

Several others have commented, and Freesourceful over at KFM did a basic review of it, yet still I have to comment…

You did great. The angst over the different treatment between the two is heartrending. Revan might be what parents scare their children with in later years, the Exile was merely erased from history, and that makes it even worse. Male or female, it doesn’t matter, to see someone you had followed to war vilified while you don’t even get a footnote can be painful.

Pick of the Week

Scars of Fate: Ch. 1
Lord Revan 107

TSL Aboard Ebon Hawk at Dxun: The battle from Visas’ view

The piece rolls right over you, as Visas did to her opponents. The idea of using the other person’s sight was interesting, seeing herself from the Exile’s view gave the author a chance to describe not only him but Visas as well.

Pick of the Week

'Exile's Revenge' Chapter 1: Mical
DarthNemesis2

PostTSL: Mical trains to rejoin the Exile

The piece is interesting in that unlike a lot of us, DN2 allows time to pass. It isn’t the few hurried weeks of Revan’s retraining or Luke’s on Dagobah. A year and a half is allowed to pass.

What I enoyed most was the idea that Vandar makes the same mistake Yoda warned against in TESB. To think the council, at his advice, sat out the Mandalorian Wars and it’s aftermath because he misread a vision. A vision not of the wars that had been fought, but a conflict beyond them both.

Technical: according to canon the Capital of Corellia is Cornet

The True War, The Search for Revan Act 1,Prologule
Xavier Timor

PostTSL: The Exile give his final orders before setting out to find Revan

Word usage problems, fith instead of fifth, most instead of must. This is an editing problem, nothing more.

The piece is bittersweet as you might expect. A parting that may end in death between a man and his comrades. The idea that a Jedi can be also a Mandalorian has not been used often. One person claimed they were diametrically opposite so it is impossible, but I for one like the idea.

Death of a God
WinterOnasi

TSL Aboard Ravager: Manda’lor tells the Exile the truth of his past.

The piece flows well and I liked not only a Mandalorian Jedi, but a Visas/Exile relationship as well. But when WinterOnasi writes something, it’s like a fine cook. It’s all good.

Technical point: The prow is another word for bow of a ship, the front. The bridge appears to be in the superstructure, not in the prow.

Pick of the Week

Pazaak Problems
Percules

TSL on Nar Shaddaa: A friendly little game ends up as a full fledged brawl

This has been exhaustively reviewed by Hekata, so I see no reason to belabor the point. The basics are good if a bit trite. The ending scene was a bit over the top in cuteness. As a first work it was pretty good.

Path of the Exile: The Gift
A.R.Minion

TSL Aboard Ebon Hawk enroute to Dxun: A small gift heals so many wounds.

Improper word usage. It is encumberance, not cumberance. Conceit should be replaced with perhaps acceptance. These are but a few of those I noticed.

The basics and the very idea are good. The interplay between Visas and her emotions set the scene very well. A simple act of kindness spreading to affect so much more.

Pick of the Week

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 10-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #1071
Shuttle Atlantis
Banned

Quote:
Alora's Salvation
Shuttle Atlantis

Set in Jedi Academy II: Having been defeated yet again, Alora contemplates changing her future

Considering how most of the Dark, Jedi, Sith, Reborn whatever act, this is a refreshing change. To consider that maybe you had wasted your life and needed to find another path is something you expect of a Jedi or any real person.

Good work, and welcome to the forum.
This story has been retitled 'Imperfect Destiny' I REALLY don't know how to change the title of a thread here. Someone please help.

I actually wasnít trying to make Alora much different from other dark Jedi. Iíve seen a number of characters who go out and become monsters, realize what theyíve done, and then come crawling back with regret. In the game, Alora shows nothing to indicate she might want to become a Jedi. Sheís arrogant, self absorbed, and ruthless.

Iíve changed the plot, but I want to keep the character the same. She is going back to help the Jedi, but she does not intend to join them. She helps them because their interests cooincide. Another element of the plot Iíve changed is that the Jedi do not know that Tavion intends to revive Ragnos until Alora tells them.

To reflect the title, I'm having Alora meet with several plot-changers which don't end up as she anticipated. For the next chapter, she'll rest easy at the end only to have an unfortunate complication in the next chapter lead to an unfortunate turn of events. Some of these 'imperfect' destinies may be for better or for worse.

Thanks for the review.
Shuttle Atlantis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #1072
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuttle Atlantis View Post
This story has been retitled 'Imperfect Destiny' I REALLY don't know how to change the title of a thread here. Someone please help.
Users can't change the title of a thread, you'll have to ask a moderator/s-mod/administrator to do it.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #1073
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

kotorfanmedia

Light Side Female Exile

For What It Was Worth
Chronokinetic

TSL after Malachor V: The Exile looks back on her recent life

The piece is nice and introspective. As she meditates, she sees her opponents, and considers their ends. Oddly enough the only one she shows feeling for, Sion, is primarily because he had lived too long, and pities him.

Dark Side Male Revan

Hope and Regret
Nyghtraven

PreKOTOR: Revan is warned by a vision, and makes plans to stop himself from being captured.

Remember to fill in sentences. You forgot The in ‘possibility that Revan knew of their planned trap unnerved her greatly, but Master Vandar had convinced her that they had to go ahead with the plan and hope (it) worked‘. An editing problem easily corrected next time.

Technical note: While someone might have a bridge station, it is rare to refer to them just as that station. If you did, you would still use the, of it would be the Navigation officer for example.

The piece flows well, and Revan struts his stuff as a tactician. Having the self destruct go off is a bit of an overkill, but it ends the threat nicely. One of those I wish I could read all the way through.

Pick of the Week

Light Side Male Revan

The Truth
Chronokinetic

KOTOR after Leviathan: Is it the truth or what you believe that is more important?

The piece drags you down into Revan’s darkness as he finds out who he really is and shatters everything else. Terri Pratchett in a satirical aside at the ‘freedom’ of the press commented that it is the freedom to dump gasoline on a fire. Here we have the two most important things our hero must consider; as horrible as he might have been, can he really be the hero? Or is it the care and support of his friends that will help him achieve this goal?

Thought provoking.

Pick of the Week

Knights of the Old Republic: Dark Forces, Chapter One
Malpense The Dark

TSL just after Malachor V: The crew deals with the pain of victory

The piece is soft and smooth as you read it. Another reviewer waxed poetic. You get to see the carnage that makes me remember Wellington’s quote; the only thing worse than a battlefield lost, is a battlefield won.

Pick of the Week

Light Side Male Exile

From the ashes, Chapter 1
TheKickback

Alternate Universe: The Exile awakens on Peragus

The piece is interesting in that Kreia is replaced by Nomi Sunrider. The premise as explained in the after word does make sense, and should make interesting reading from here on.

Confiding in a Creature Not So Often Loved...
RevanRand16

PostTSL: Revan returns from the Unknown Region, and needs someone to talk to

The story is sweet primarily because the main character is still pensive about what has happened i the recent past. The ending is good if a bit generic.

The Exiles (one-shot)
Zuraffo

PostTSL: When the Exile vanishes again after Malachor V, Atton finds him

The piece is interesting in that it shows what sometimes happens after the adventure. The hero instead of riding off into the sunset sometimes is unwilling to accept the accolades he doesn’t feel he deserves. Atton is a perfect foil, because he let go, but wasn’t willing to let go of everything.

All Left Unsaid
TKA001

TSL aboard Ravager: The battle with Nihilus costs too much

The piece is stark in it’s chiaroscuro way, and having Visas die by her own hand to kill the Dark Lord is a shock.

How Long Will You Wait?
Trillian4210

PostTSL: As the years pass, Carth Onasi and Brianna hold to their loves, but it is hard work

The piece is excellent in it’s detail of the emotions being felt by the two lovers who wait. The attraction each feels for the other starts as this shared burden, but could have blossomed into more as each pulls against that restraint. It ended at just the right time; too soon for them to have fallen completely, but so close that it was a Wellington commented on Waterloo, a near run thing.

Pick of the Week

Identity
Katara Ironarm

TSL on Telos: The Handmaiden meets the Exile, then joins the crew

It is a bit hurried to me, though what it does in great detail is sketch in her sisters and their reactions. Brianna’s reaction to the Exile is good be cause he goes from some twit to something else smoothly.

Knights of the Old Republic III: The True Sith, Chapter 1
Master Chef 505

PostTSL: The partings of both the Revan and the Exile and the aftermath

I was torn as were a number of the previous reviewers. For the length, little of substance was given to the reader, yet there was detail. Seeing Mission get drunk was cute, considering what she’s like in the story I can see her as a nasty drunk. The pain felt by Visas was little explored, but the pain in both Bastila and Brianna in their loss was an excellent counterpoint.

KOTOR III: The Hidden Threat, Chap. 1 The Beginning
Darth Nicho

From the Mandalorian wars to post TSL: Another characters is called to service

The comment regarding battle scenes was well done; Another possible option for understanding it would be the movies of Akira Kurosawa, where the Samurai are the main warriors. A battle scene in real life is like snapshots from hell, and as I commented in one of my own works, all a soldier in this situation sees is what is directly in front of him.

Using game terms detracts because the reader immediately knows what you have done and feels a bit cheated. Even mentioning styles (You didn’t) do the same because all the styles mentioned are is a way to describe different strikes and blocks and giving the character additional pluses for specific actions. As an example, watch the sword fighting scene in the Princess Bride between the masked man and Inigo where both are commenting on the different styles they are using as they fight.

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 10-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #1074
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

The Next Crusade
SirBoomstick91

Seven Years after KOTOR: Revan finally returns

The piece is a bit rough, needing some editing. The primary problem was forgetting words in sentences, something I tend to do when I am letting it flow.

I like the reunion primarily because of Bastila’s reactions. Slapping him was generic and trite, yet fit perfectly.

Welcome Back.

Light Side Female Revan

Gone For Good Chapter 1; Stir
PhoenixGate

Beginning of KOTOR: A team of room mates escapes from the Endar Spire

Avoid using game terms. For an example, Do you know what difference there is between light, medium and heavy armor? As much as the game just assigns a different point value to them, each is comprised of specific material and in some cases components. Most would merely call it armor and leave it at that.

Te writing style is relatively good, and the idea of having a team of characters from the outset interesting. Each of the three women is different enough that it has you wondering which one is the main character. It also gives Carth’s paranoia bone a bit of a twist too.

Light Side Male Exile

Her
VargasTheBeast

TSL On Telos: The Exile is sure it can’t be her…

The piece is really too short to get a grip on it. The thing that bothered me a little is that even after several years, this version of the Exile can’t understand why he was punished by the council.

Trials of the Jedi, Prologue
MakeriasChild

TSL at Malachor V: A last minute rescue

The piece is a bit stilted, the light side Exile coming off a bit darker than I would have anticipated.

Dying
Revan Sama

TSL no specific section given: Brianna tries to hold onto her love

The biggest question has yet to be answered. When is this happening, and why is he dying?

The Unknown Regions, Chapter 1- I brought him back
Iceman99

Post TSL: The Exile begins his journey into the Unknown Region

The story began a little odd, going to Dantooine and ending up on Coruscant instead. The scenes were disjointed, and hurried. Try to smooth it out a bit.

Republic in Arms, Chapter 1
Demicus

TSL At Onderon: The Ebon Hawk arrives, causing a battle

Technical note: A military vessel is paid for and maintained by the government, not her captain. While extra weapons, shielding etc can be installed, again it is done at government sanction, not because the captain wants it. Also, remember that no matter how much you over engine a craft, it is never going to outfly smaller vessels unless there has been a radical engine technology used. As an example the Dreadnought; going from reciprocating engines to turbines gave the ship a 5 knot advantage compared with other ships of her design, which allowed two battle cruisers to outrun the German armored cruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau at the Battle of the Falklands.

The piece is disturbing because what you have done is caused an escalation from what the game showed in the political situation. Having a Republic fleet in a standoff would have been a perfect time for Valku to have his coup because it is proof of his contentions that the Republic would force Onderon to remain in the Republic; and would rally his people to support him.

In a little remembered bit of history, the Communists were able to use the invasion by English and American troops in early 1918 to bolster their own bid for power in Russia, claiming it was an attempt to return the Czarists to power. It caused people who had no feeling either way to choose.

Impression, Force
Tankygirl

TSL on Dxun: Visas confronts the Exile

The piece feels like it was a free flow when you wrote it. Yo0u made the same kind of mistakes I do when that occurs;

Remember to finish words. Destroy(ing) and fool(ish), remember tense, so you have someone slid not slides. Be sure of word usage, there were odd words like rocks in a stream disrupting the flow.

The basics are good, only needing polishing.

Reunion
The Tygre

Eight years PostTSL: The Exile and Revan finally return from the Unknown Regions

The piece had some problems, not finishing words, forgetting conversation breaks, that kind of thing. Editing problems, nothing more.

The scene is well portrayed, the reunion a bit stiff, but flowing well into settling into a normal life.

Pick of the Week

Silence
The Tygre

TSL on Malachor V: Kreia sees the future

The piece as others have commented, is inconsistent. The voice as one commented is not her because she’s speaking in a manner inconsistent with that character.

The basics are good, the idea interesting.

Love and Redemption: Hero's Return Part 1
Forgotten Honor

One plus years postTSL: With Revan’s return the two teams are reunited to prepare for the True Sith.

The piece is short, but every character gets their chance in the limelight. The preparations look simple, but having mission, a child running around setting up resistance movements seemed a bit much.

Blue Light
MoonMythology

TSL: Visas goes over her life, and the sight within the Force that she uses

The piece is interesting primarily because it is odd for a woman that is blind to describe by colors.

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 10-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #1075
SirBoomstick91
Lurker

Thanks for the review, I'll try to watch out for that kind of stuff in the future, but I only have one complaint about the whole thing:

Quote:
Light Side Female Revan
Excuse me?

lol
SirBoomstick91 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #1076
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBoomstick91 View Post
Thanks for the review, I'll try to watch out for that kind of stuff in the future, but I only have one complaint about the whole thing:

Excuse me?

lol
I forgot to post the kotorfanmedia link. The first story in that section was from the Light Side Female Revan category

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 10-24-2009, 03:14 AM   #1077
SirBoomstick91
Lurker

Oh... I see. For a little bit, you had me going.
SirBoomstick91 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #1078
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Dark Legacy: Death Watch
Te Mirdala Mand'alor

Modern day: A Mandalorian declares war on a secret society

We’re already three postings into the story, and we have yet to know much about our hero. His parents are explained, even his friendship with a Yuuzhan Vong, but that is background, nothing more.

The basics are good except for one glaring technical problem. The Basilisk was explained adequately, having someone build a modernized version .just shows a love of history.

Technical: The ship is called both a dreadnought and a battle cruiser. Taking on a Mando’a fighter and some coral skippers as well reinforces the idea that it is a powerful warship. Either ship type suggests a massive vessel yet it appears to have only one crewman. Automation will do a lot of things, but with the technology we have seen so far in Star Wars running a ship that large with only one person or even a small core crew is not one of them . How large is the ship in question?

kotorfanmedia

Light Side Male Revan

Vignettes
TheJediSentinel

KOTOR aboard Ebon Hawk after departing Dantooine: The crew expresses itself

The beginning was a bit slow, with Carth berating Bastila, but then it picked up and I was alternately smiling and snickering. Mission’s way of dealing with the little tiff caused me to laugh out loud, and the interplay between Bastila and Revan was amusing on too many levels to count.

Pick of the Week

This week completes the Light Side Male Exile section. Going on to Dark Side Female Revan

Parrot
Moonmythology

PostTSL: The Exile says to himself what he could never bring himself to say to her…

The piece is good work. We needed more of a time line though. Is he still off with Revan? Has he returned to find her gone?

Pick of the Week

Trials of the Jedi, Part I
Imatach

A decade PreKOTOR: The young Jedi get on with an average life.

Some misspelling errors. Gatting instead of getting, the instead of they garuntee instead of guarantee.

Some technical notes. First, if you are going to have them practice without light sabers, why use vibroblades? Shoving aside an activated vibroblade would be like shoving aside a running chainsaw. Second, the Jedi are priests and monks of a religion. Because of that they would not have private quarters large enough for a party and kitchenette. You have them living in the equivalent of a modern college dorm.

Nothing
Jaina Solo

TSL Aboard Ebon Hawk: The Exile wrestles with his past, and Kreia’s mystery

It was an interesting take on his memories, seeing the battlefield aftermath before the Mass Shadow Generator went off. More interesting was the idea that Kreia would tell him the truth, if only to erase it from his memory as soon as she was done.

A Jedi's Pet, Part I
Imatach

TSL on Peragus: Two extra characters… just for spice.

The piece is fun, though I would like an explanation as to why you have bodies inside the room (Maybe the gas leak) but the Tach and Sysha survived. The sarcastic comments were cute, and having both Kreia and the Exile able to hear them was amusing. A pity I can’t read it all.

Distorted
TKA001

TSL on Korriban: A look at the tomb of

You probably did this in a free flow as it came down, because after the meeting with Dustil, you began to miss conversation breaks. No biggie, I do it all the time. An editing problem nothing more.

The piece is nicely dark and disturbing even though only two incidents in the tomb are covered.

Youngling
Chemist

Several years PreKOTOR: A young Mical meets the heroes and villains of the wars to come.

The piece was interesting and others have already criticized it, so I will only comment on style.

First, in a monastic setting those who join an order are not stripped of everything. Wealth, something that would set them apart and cause jealousy, yes. But since the Force is such a personal thing, everyone reaching and achieving on a different curve, stripping them of identity is insulting. This does not mean calling them by title or merely boy or girl would not happen, just that it would not be a ‘you are youngling, and he is apprentice’ caste structure.

Second, all we see these younglings doing is playing like a bunch of average kids. Perhaps like a modern day elementary school there are recess periods which would make more sense but a modern school has to balance the energy of someone not used to sitting around for hours at a time so that they learn but don’t start causing problems in class. But even that, considering the things they could be learning in a possible Jedi training atmosphere would more likely channel that energy more efficiently than a simple recess.

I do like that you made the Disciple a person rather than a cardboard cut out.

In Five Hundred Words or Less . . .
AdlynJ

PreKOTOR: A teenaged Exile is questioned about his essay.

The piece is dark and serious there for a while, but perfect in that the phrase did give him the right to use only four words. His arguments were well reasoned and cogent, his statement that you have to see both sides of the equation reasonable.

I especially loved his explanation as to why he spent time with the younglings because it is the one part most writers ignore, or carry too far, suggesting they are taken as babies in one published book. Take a child from everything he’s known and dump him into another completely different, and the comment about fight or flight fits perfectly.

Pick of the Week

The Weight of Glory: Prologue
Elwin Ransom

TSL on Malachor V: The remnants of our heroes try to escape

The piece is comma heavy as the author admitted. As much as you hate editing, it’s a necessary part of the craft, kid.

It’s more interesting in that in most of the works you read only a few or none die. This is a stark realistic version of what could happen, the few shattered remnants escaping with their lives. Turning Atton from the follower to a take charge guy was a brilliant move, since you don’t see him doing that much.

Another I wish I could read from cover to cover.

Pick of the Week

Stay
Princess Jaden

Aboard Ebon Hawk after Dantooine: Visas expresses her emotions

The idea of the Exile being something other than human is a twist not usually used. An interesting choice as well. It was really too short to get a feel for it, but what I did see was good.

The Stow Away: PILOT
LauraMuffin

TSL on Telos: A new character joins the crew in a secretive manner.

It’s expletive(an interjectory word or expression, frequently profane) rather than explicative(Explanatory word). The writing is smooth, so no complaints there.

The only part that bothered me is that this resonates with Sasha from KOTOR. There is no rhyme nor reason for the Telos Academy to start running what looks more and more like a prison, so how and why did she end up there? Hopefully you will explain that eventually.

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Old 10-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #1079
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Thanks for the review machievelli.
Hmmm, perhaps I should have added more detail about the living aspects of the ship. They were supposed to take the place of a crew (along with a few droids).
The ship itself is a medium sized ship (about one third the size of a Star Destroyer), and is covered in weapons and powerful shields. Since canonically, no Dreadnaughts are seen or mentioned during the legacy era comics, I'm free to design it as I wish.

Last edited by Trench; 10-30-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #1080
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Mirdala Mand'alor View Post
Thanks for the review machievelli.
Hmmm, perhaps I should have added more detail about the living aspects of the ship. They were supposed to take the place of a crew (along with a few droids).
The ship itself is a medium sized ship (about one third the size of a Star Destroyer), and is covered in weapons and powerful shields. Since canonically, no Dreadnaughts are seen or mentioned during the legacy era comics, I'm free to design it as I wish.
Remember finances as well when you go into that detail. A ship the size od the Millenium Falcon would cost about $1,000 a month to operate not taking into major repairs from battle damage. That does include preventative maintenance fuel and dockling fees. The ship you describe would cost around 5-10,000

What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Return From Exile
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Coruscant Entertainment Centre > The Critic's 2 cents