lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: JK is Back
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
jrrtoken

JK is Back

Or at least it is on Steam.

The entire series is now available for download; yes, that includes Dark Forces, which incorporates some of the best FPS level design, par none.

Alternatively, for JK virgins, you can buy the entire series in one bundle for only $20, which is quite a bargain considering that they all ooze quality.

Linkity, dinkity, lock
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
The Seeker

*squeals girlishly* OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG. I'M SO BUYING THIS RIGHT NOW! Dark Forces on XP?! *faints*

And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

OMG Jedi Knight 4!!!
The Seeker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
We really need to get the band gang back together and play some JK2/JA. No pure server / no force bull****!

RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
The Seeker

Problem is most of the old gang are all grown up with jobs and families and stuff now. I mean, I was 15 years old back in the JK MP days. Good times that should be revived but I don't know how feasible it is.

OMG Jedi Knight 4!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
MrWally
Gunslinger

Forum Veteran 
Man... this is really tempting. Too bad I already spent $120 yesterday and bought KotOR on Steam last week... >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seeker View Post
*squeals girlishly* OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG. I'M SO BUYING THIS RIGHT NOW! Dark Forces on XP?! *faints*
Actually, according some forums posts on Steam this is just the original version bundled with DOSBox.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I hate Steam, I just picked up the JK pack as well as the LA adventure pack. Can't beat the deals though.

Never played any of the JK games so I'll give them a try pretty soon. I'd be up for some multiplayer too.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gιygαs View Post
Actually, according some forums posts on Steam this is just the original version bundled with DOSBox.
On their forum, the thread about dark forces mentions DOSbox shortcuts and whatnot so I'm thinking it is.

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
The Seeker

Yeah it is DOSbox but bottom line is that it actually works perfectly. No modding, or file swapping or tweaking. Just jump in and play. Good times so far.

OMG Jedi Knight 4!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
jrrtoken

Well, my faith in LucasArts delivering quality products became quashed yet again; I found out that DF2 doesn't have any of its CD-based music in the Steam version. Not to mention, it also crashes everything I try to menu save; it lacks 3D hardware acceleration, and I'm forced to play all of the cutscenes in windowed-mode. Of course, LA would have the resources to correct all of this; they own the source code, naturally, and have all of the manpower to rewrite several components to make the SITH engine OpenGL/AL-compliant, but they lack the will to do so. Unfortunately, it's become a rather recent trend to expect this, particularly from LucasArts.

Yet once again, you have my sincerest regards, LA.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

This is exactly what i was waiting for when they LA announced the whole Steam thing.
i cant *wait* to play Dark forces! I found a 3 level "super sampler" disc at a recycle shop, and i really want to play the rest.

Quote:
DF2 doesn't have any of its CD-based music in the Steam version.
what do you mean?
... the game has no music??

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.

Last edited by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan; 09-16-2009 at 09:28 PM.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #12
MrWally
Gunslinger

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
Well, my faith in LucasArts delivering quality products became quashed yet again; I found out that DF2 doesn't have any of its CD-based music in the Steam version. Not to mention, it also crashes everything I try to menu save; it lacks 3D hardware acceleration, and I'm forced to play all of the cutscenes in windowed-mode. Of course, LA would have the resources to correct all of this; they own the source code, naturally, and have all of the manpower to rewrite several components to make the SITH engine OpenGL/AL-compliant, but they lack the will to do so. Unfortunately, it's become a rather recent trend to expect this, particularly from LucasArts.

Yet once again, you have my sincerest regards, LA.

Is anyone else having these problems? I was considering buying this since I never played Dark Forces 1 or 2 and haven't gone through JKII:JO in years, but I'm not going to get them if they're buggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2009, 02:06 AM   #13
Samuel Dravis

I don't know about the Steam versions, but IIRC the CD versions of JK and MotS both worked pretty well on my XP64 system. At least I don't remember it crashing a lot, although I think the menu was a bit buggy. Nothing unplayable though.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #14
MysticSpade
awaiting the Unknown

i actually still have my retail version of JA with lightsaber keychain...LoL

XBL GT: MysticSpade
MysticSpade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2009, 03:43 AM   #15
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxStar View Post
We really need to get the band gang back together and play some JK2/JA. No pure server / no force bull****!
Do what this man says.

Please.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2009, 03:53 AM   #16
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
no force bull****!
so you mean that you dont want force powers or that you don't want stupid force usage.

WANT, or DO NOT WANT, that is the question.

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:49 AM   #17
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
so you mean that you dont want force powers or that you don't want stupid force usage.

WANT, or DO NOT WANT, that is the question.
I'll just say that playing Jedi Academy online requires purchasing a special textbook on etiquette.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #18
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
what do you mean?
... the game has no music??
Essentially, yes, the music files aren't even included with the Steam version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWally
Is anyone else having these problems? I was considering buying this since I never played Dark Forces 1 or 2 and haven't gone through JKII:JO in years, but I'm not going to get them if they're buggy.
Both DF1 & 2 are completely playable; knock yourself out. DF1 uses DOSBox, so it runs flawlessly. DF2, while playable, is subject to crashing when doing anything else other than simply playing the game (Changing settings, saving via the menu, etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
I don't know about the Steam versions, but IIRC the CD versions of JK and MotS both worked pretty well on my XP64 system. At least I don't remember it crashing a lot, although I think the menu was a bit buggy. Nothing unplayable though.
DF2 is entirely playable, even on Win7 64-bit; It's just extremely temperamental.

The Steam forums are also a beehive; apparently everyone has these problems.

And for those wanting a better DF1 experience, see here.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #19
boinga1
Pimpin' ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxStar View Post
Do agree. Playing JK/MOTS has made me giddy. Also playing DF for the first time.

Edit: Commemerative Invasion of Poland Post.
boinga1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth
I'll just say that playing Jedi Academy online requires purchasing a special textbook on etiquette.
ive played on MP quite a bit, and have seen the worst; such that would flood this post with asterisks and earn a permaban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastrami
Essentially, yes, the music files aren't even included with the Steam version.
WHAT.

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 AM   #21
MysticSpade
awaiting the Unknown

whenever i played we didnt use force powers outside of push and saber throw

XBL GT: MysticSpade
MysticSpade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2009, 06:29 AM   #22
jrrtoken

I can't take it anymore; JK1 is so incomplete without the music, not even when taking in mind the dozen other compatibility issues. For $5, I've received an incomplete, broken 12-year-old game. What's even worse, is that the original discs included not only the elements in question, but they also didn't force you into a restrictive DRM scheme, so you could install the game on any system, rather than one with an internet connection.

What's really irks me is the fact that this is a 12-year-old game; LucasArts had plenty of time to understand and resolve the hundreds of compatibility issues that plague the game. I also blame Valve for not enforcing higher quality standards in their releases; if they had set stricter compatibility and quality standards, much like with GOG.com, then there would've been a great fewer number of problems. GOG.com also don't force you to install any draconian DRM system, and it also provides you with a bounty of extras, including game soundtracks, artwork, or wallpapers. So, if you want but an older game, always check GOG.com first; you'll be getting a much better product in the long run.

If you're as agitated as I am with JK1, then ask Valve for a refund. Send LucasArts a message: If you don't give us a complete, functional copy of a game, then you won't receive our money for it. Don't create a petition or vow to not buy any LucasArts game again, becuase you will eventually. All of the other games in the JK Collection bundle run absolutely perfectly on my computer, and I love those games dearly, but JK1 is a total waste of money. Hell, if you're that desperate to play JK1, then just go and pirate it; at least you'll be getting the full, original game at very little monetary expense.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #23
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I can't agree that Steam is "draconian" DRM, I think it's reasonable to expect everyone to have a computer with an Internet connection, but I'll give you the rest. It does seem like a rather rushed job and it is too bad Valve accepted it the way it is.

Can something be done about adding the music back in? Not that I care enough or know how to do that, but I'd add some files if someone else figured it out.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #24
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Can something be done about adding the music back in? Not that I care enough or know how to do that, but I'd add some files if someone else figured it out.
You'd probably have to rip the music from the CDs, via some utility, and then modify the executable to not scan CD drives for the music, and instead point it towards a certain directory. It wouldn't be terribly difficult if you owned the source code (Which, apparently, LucasArts claims that it went "missing". Go figure. ), and then modified a few scripts to point the game to the ripped music files, instead of having it search the CD drives for the files.

While that seems fairly easy for LA to accomplish, it's essentially impossible for any fan-made project, unless if you want to reverse engineer and rewrite the whole SITH Engine. Again, that's why I'd still say that simply "finding" the isos would be dramatically easier, as that is really the only path to get the complete game, in its entirety.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #25
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
I highly dislike digital downloads.....they could release the collection in disc form....please?
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #26
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Thanks for briefing the problems PastramiX, I'll probably buy the pack anyway despite the issues...

Music or not, It'll be great to re-experience some JK moments =)

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2009, 05:43 AM   #27
txa1265
Father Jedi

Forum Veteran 
Well ... here is what I've seen with the Steam versions:
- JKII / JA work great
- Jedi Knight - cutscenes are in small-window then flashes back to full-screen. Full save crashes, quick-save is fine. T for Talk doesn't seem to work.
- Dark Forces - controls are a sort of hybrid of old & new with no apparent way to change.

Overall ... meh. Dark Forces is solid, but I had just removed the CD install of JK from my netbook since I had gotten this ... and now regret it!

Dopelar effect (n.) The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
txa1265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #28
acdcfanbill

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
You have to use dosbox to rebind controls. Their forum have a short tut for it.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=967990

Old 09-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #29
txa1265
Father Jedi

Forum Veteran 
Thanks for the link ... I had trolled around the Steam forums after my post and saw some similar things.

JK / MotS are the really big disappointments to me.

Dopelar effect (n.) The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
txa1265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #30
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Glad I still have my old disks!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #31
jrrtoken

Highest exaltations to Kukulkan; brave hackers made the ultimate sacrifice by fashioning a ddraw wrapper to force 3D acceleration.

Drink the anti-aliased elixir from this most holy font, my friends!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #32
acdcfanbill

Cool, it's good to see the steam releases have garnered some interest and especially some fixes for the problems plaguing JK1 on newer systems. Too bad Lucasarts didn't feel they could have helped us out, but this is just as good.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #33
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Well cool, I'll finally be able to play DF again. Some buttwipe stole my original CD of it years ago... and I haven't gotten one since. Ebay burned me when I tried. >:v[
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yoda’s Swamp > JK is Back

Tags
brilliance, dark troopers, fmv cutscenes, loosing virginity, sex in game form