lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Atheists sue to keep 'In God We Trust' off Capitol Visitor Center
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #81
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
Does this have to with people not believing in god being the reason not to carve 'in god we trust' in a government building, or is it because there are others who have different beliefs?
I don't think it has to be one or the other. Anyone who values the First Amendment has cause for concern.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #82
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
I really cannot believe I just read this entire thread. I really need to get a life.

Not trying to resurrect, and my apologies for necromancy, but after all the argument here, I wonder what official result is, and whether or not the building is all Goddy.

Some good arguments here, some fair and some less so.

The only thing I have to add - a motto is a slogan, a tag-line: It is trying to sell you something. Companies change tag-lines all the time, but only very rarely do they change their mission statement.

"In God We Trust" is a slogan, not a mission statement.

It is all well and good to blithely say that no harm is done, and maybe none is, maybe we should all trust in God more.... all of that still ignores the fact brought up in the OP - it is obviously, categorically, shadelessly unconstitutional, and a pork-barrel to boot. I hope it did not happen.
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #83
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Well as for calling it a superstition, some people follow Christian values but do not believe in the supernatural nature of god or even the concepts of heaven and hell. They look at the religion as a moral guide rather than "Do this to get to heaven." There are several religions that do not require superstitions.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Atheists sue to keep 'In God We Trust' off Capitol Visitor Center