lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #161
ronzbig1
Rookie

I've made simple installer - you just have to choose game folder, and press enter in few moments - http://www.storage.to/get/fSVZlV5P/install.exe
ronzbig1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2009, 12:45 AM   #162
daltysmilth
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzbig1 View Post
I've made simple installer - you just have to choose game folder, and press enter in few moments - http://www.storage.to/get/fSVZlV5P/install.exe
Okay, I installed it. Now what? How do I run the game?

"So Brak, is that Polish? Or... no I suppose it wouldn't be."
--Mike Nelson- MST3K: the Movie
daltysmilth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #163
daltysmilth
Rookie

Quote:
Okay, I installed it. Now what? How do I run the game?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 AM   #164
daltysmilth
Rookie

Note to mods, I tried to delete the second post, but it didn't work.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:57 AM   #165
whaleyland
Rookie

I have the same problem. I installed it, but I can't find where to direct ScummVM. I tried the "Classic" folder, but it wouldn't play any sound.
whaleyland is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #166
ronzbig1
Rookie

MISE\audio\classdub <- folder with patched game
Old 11-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #167
whaleyland
Rookie

Thanks. It was there waiting for me. However, all the audio problems I noted in an earlier post are still present...mostly when multiple people talk simultaneously (e.g., the three pirates).

I was also wondering if there is any easy way to get the new Monkey Island music working with the original MI? I figure it's something simple, probably just decompressing a file or something, but I'm not sure how.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #168
MusiclyInspired

Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
It's easy as pie. You just extract the music files from the SE and rename the files as the correct track numbers from the CD version. Not a particularly difficult process.

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #169
Admonisher
Rookie

Call me dim, but I'm having some issues here. I'm assuming that all I need to make this work is:

(a) SOMI:SE purchased, downloaded and installed from Steam
(b) ScummVM (I'm using the version updated on August 25, 2009)
(c) The newly released installer exe

So here are my questions then:

1. When I launch the new installer, it asks me to select a folder containing the game. Which folder do I actually select? Do I use "the secret of monkey island special edition", do I continue to select "audio", or do I go all the way to "classdub"?

2. When the process finishes, I direct ScummVM to the "classdub" folder to find the game?

3. When it offers me the option of three versions of Monkey Island (CD, FM Towns, etc.) which one do I select? And are there any special settings I will subsequently need to adjust?

4. Finally, where do the CD audio files wind up in case I want to replace them?

Thanks!
Admonisher is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-14-2009, 12:49 AM   #170
whaleyland
Rookie

1. I just selected the SMI folder and it worked.
2. Yes, direct ScummVM to classdub or rename and move classdub to somewhere else (probably the ScummVM folder).
3. Any version probably will work just fine but I believe LucasArts used the CD version for this remake.
4. Do you mean the new CD audio files? They don't get converted. You have to do that separately and figure out the order that they go in. I tried just renumbering them (subtracting one from each track#) but that didn't seem to work entirely. I still haven't figured this part out entirely. If you mean the original audio files from the original SMI, then those are the ones you are hearing behind the new speech.

I hope that helps.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #171
Admonisher
Rookie

OK ... I followed the above process, and here's what happens.

First, the installer gives me the following message at the very end:

Read 4573 entries from speech.info.
Could not open mapping.txt
Read 7463 lines from mi1.txt, 2483 lines have no matching entry.

Second, when the process is finished, only 24 mp3 files wind up in the classdub folder. Hence, when I try to direct ScummVM to that folder, it states that it can't find any games. When I direct ScummVM to the "audio" folder, on the other hand, it DOES find the game ... but it then informs me that I need to get music files from the CD. The game plays, but without music OR dialogue. So ... what am I doing wrong?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #172
Teeth
Rookie

Just want to say well done on this amazing patch. It's not perfect but it's amazing just how much can be done with SCUMM games, and so easily as well.

I tried to get the talkie version to work on DS, with SCUMMVM DS. It works, but the voice quality is too high, so whenever someone talks it slows down and goes crackly. I managed to get the Special Edition music to work on SCUMMVM DS by reducing the quality to 32kbps, which is a bit muffled, but the sound quality isn't perfect on DS anyway. Would it be at all possible for a second version of the installer to be made which compresses the sound for DS?

Also another thing; whenever I rip music from my MI1 CD, the track from the beginning of the game when Guybrush meets the lookout is always missing. Which number is this track supposed to be, so I can add it back in?

Thanks in advance.
Teeth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #173
Threepwood42
Rookie

Current Game: Spider-Man: SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admonisher View Post
OK ... I followed the above process, and here's what happens.

First, the installer gives me the following message at the very end:

Read 4573 entries from speech.info.
Could not open mapping.txt
Read 7463 lines from mi1.txt, 2483 lines have no matching entry.

Second, when the process is finished, only 24 mp3 files wind up in the classdub folder. Hence, when I try to direct ScummVM to that folder, it states that it can't find any games. When I direct ScummVM to the "audio" folder, on the other hand, it DOES find the game ... but it then informs me that I need to get music files from the CD. The game plays, but without music OR dialogue. So ... what am I doing wrong?

Mine did the same thing :*( I really want this to work but I'm too lazy to download all the other stuff and do the long way around Help please.
Threepwood42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #174
daltysmilth
Rookie

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. One thing I'm almost tempted to do is to take all the voice files and convert them to a much lower bitrate so they sound all compressed, just to make it feel like they were recorded back in 1990 when the game first came out. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just crazy like that.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #175
Cube1701
Lurker

Quote:
Thanks for this, it worked well (I got some error messages, but the game seems to work with voice). Now I can play Monkey Island with voice on my Nokia 5800.
Cube1701 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #176
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltysmilth View Post
One thing I'm almost tempted to do is to take all the voice files and convert them to a much lower bitrate so they sound all compressed, just to make it feel like they were recorded back in 1990 when the game first came out. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just crazy like that.
It's not the compression which makes it sound 1990 like. In fact, compression were rarely used at all, since it uses up much CPU time, usually too much for the time.

What it would make it sound 1990 like is resampling and requantization. Fate of Atlantis is 11025 Hz, 8 bit, mono. DOTT and Sam & Max use 22050 Hz, 8 bit, mono for voice files.

In order to keep a tolerable signal to noise ratio, most games have also quite a lot of dynamic compression and a limiter applied. Which results in a steady level well above the quantization noise, but this practice also tends to sound lifeless.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #177
daltysmilth
Rookie

Okay, I've found a bug. The game keeps crashing during the wedding after the part where Guybrush asks Elaine how she managed to escape. And I've tried clicking on the other two dialogue options and it does the same thing. Thoughts?

Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #178
Lagomorph01
Rookie

Allright, I got it working on my Wii! Which is great 'cause now I can play it from my couch!
I just think that the voices are played a bit fragmental, so I tried upping the subtitle speed, but that just makes the voices disappear. Any idea how to fix this?

Bound only by the paper thin wrapper of mortality, a soul here lies, struggling to be free, and so it will thanks to a bowl of bad gazpacho and a man named Calavera!
Lagomorph01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #179
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
With everyone talking about the installer, I understand that all spoken lines are now correctly assigned to the text-lines in game? No more mismatches?

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #180
whaleyland
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert View Post
With everyone talking about the installer, I understand that all spoken lines are now correctly assigned to the text-lines in game? No more mismatches?
They are not all fixed. I got it installed correctly but all simultaneous speech either doesn't work or cuts off and a few lines here and there don't work. I wrote up a list earlier but no one commented on it or offered to help.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #181
Admonisher
Rookie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleyland View Post
They are not all fixed. I got it installed correctly but all simultaneous speech either doesn't work or cuts off and a few lines here and there don't work. I wrote up a list earlier but no one commented on it or offered to help.
And the installer doesn't work AT ALL for some of us, for reasons also unknown.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #182
ronzbig1
Rookie

You're working on XP, Vista, 7?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #183
Threepwood42
Rookie

Current Game: Spider-Man: SD
Quote:
You're working on XP, Vista, 7?
I'm on Vista
Threepwood42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #184
Admonisher
Rookie

I'm on XP.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #185
whaleyland
Rookie

I'm on XP, but I have tested the Talkie version on XP and Snow Leopard. Same problems on both.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #186
Silvor

It's a real shame this project never got finished
I wonder if it perhaps would be easier to hack the Special edition to enable the voices with the old art?
I'm no programmer, just a suggestion.
Silvor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #187
Lagomorph01
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvor View Post
It's a real shame this project never got finished
I wonder if it perhaps would be easier to hack the Special edition to enable the voices with the old art?
I'm no programmer, just a suggestion.
You haven't really been paying attention to the forum, have you?

Bound only by the paper thin wrapper of mortality, a soul here lies, struggling to be free, and so it will thanks to a bowl of bad gazpacho and a man named Calavera!
Old 12-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #188
Silvor

What do you mean?
Has there been any other progress than whats stated in this thread then?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #189
Lagomorph01
Rookie

Just download the installer on top of this page and you can PLAY the original CD version with the SMI:SE voices.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:08 AM   #190
Silvor

According to the last replies on this thread it still doesn't work well. Missing speech, cut off speech and the like.
Hence why I said it was sad this project wasn't finished.
I never said it wasn't released in beta form.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #191
Lagomorph01
Rookie

Oops, my fault.
I thought you were still talking about the speech project for MI1.
My bad.

I haven't played this version that much though, the voices are a suprisingly bad addition to the original game. They just don't fit.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #192
whaleyland
Rookie

I agree with Silvor. The project still hasn't left Beta yet no one seems to care. There are still major problems and no one ever notes them or tries to fix them. Simultaneous speech doesn't work and there are still lines that don't speak as early as 1 minute into the game. The game isn't finished, just as Silvor said.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #193
Silvor

Maybe it just got too complicated.
Which is why I'm wondering if it perhaps would be easier to hack the Special edition game so that the voices don't disappear when you switch to the old art.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #194
whaleyland
Rookie

I'm pretty sure the technique to do that, though, would be the same. And I'm not sure how you would get the voices to continue when you switch versions.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #195
Admonisher
Rookie

Run both versions simultaneously? :P
Old 12-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #196
LordTrilobite

As far as I know the SE stuff loads even when you play classic. So shouldn't it be something as simple as unhiding it?

LordTrilobite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #197
Silvor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordTrilobite View Post
As far as I know the SE stuff loads even when you play classic. So shouldn't it be something as simple as unhiding it?
That's sort of along the lines of what I was thinking.
If only I'd had the know how I'd check it out myself, but alas.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #198
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Didn't someone suggest swapping all SE-graphics with complete transparent images, to reveal the classic version underneath? And is that how the SE works anyway?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #199
Silvor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert View Post
Didn't someone suggest swapping all SE-graphics with complete transparent images, to reveal the classic version underneath? And is that how the SE works anyway?
Not sure that would work, I'm don't think the new and old graphics are completely aligned, the new art is also widescreen.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #200
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvor View Post
Not sure that would work, I'm don't think the new and old graphics are completely aligned, the new art is also widescreen.
Ah right... that's why the image zooms out when you switch modes... so even IF it worked, you wouldn't be able to see your verbs and inventory.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Community Discussion Forums > SCUMM > Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project