lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dead but not really dead?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-10-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
Tobias Reiper
Spah creepin' around here

Current Game: Various Games.
LucasCast staff 
Dead but not really dead?

Okay, I just realized this about 5 minutes ago, but how does this make sense at all:
Atton, Mira, and I all go out to Dxun. We encounter the Zakkeg and Mira goes down during the fight.
After Atton and I finish off the Zakkeg she gets back up.
Later, on Dantooine, we encounter a large group of Mercs, who attack us outside the Dantooine cave.
Mira goes down, and Atton soon follows. Then I go down as well, and I receive the message telling me the entire party is dead and I need to load a save game or go to the menu.
So why is it that they can get back up all the time unless I go down as well?
Are we traveling with a bunch of Michael Myers here?
Can somebody explain?

"There is no way to be better than everyone else, but being kind and having a sense of humor certainly helps." -Me, my quote on life.
Tobias Reiper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
Rtas Vadum
Behold The Envoy...

Current Game: TES 4: Oblivion/3: Morrowind
Helpful! 
To be honest, that is just the way the game works, or rather how the engine functions. Some other games award the player experience through quest completion, whereas KOTOR and TSL does awards it every single time an enemy dies.

Though TSL does question that fact, mostly through some of Zez's dialogue when you meet him on Narr Shaddaa, and at the Restored Enclave. Giving that the Exile gains his/her power back from killing enemies, and all those deaths are the reason that he/she is getting so powerful. Along with the reason they believe the Exile to be a threat to all.

Rtas Vadum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2010, 04:19 AM   #3
JED Master
Lurker

Current Game: Jedi Knight: DF2
Smile

Note: this is my first post since coming back from 2003... good times... good times...

as for you, I sure wish I knew what you were talking about but Im guessing your party members arent as good at raising the dead as you are.

Jedi knight
EDiting program
Version: Dark forces II
Skill rank: Master

Kinda old (1999) but makes up for it in simplicity and sheer level size.
Have it? Want a custom map? Message the master.
JED Master is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper View Post
Okay, I just realized this about 5 minutes ago, but how does this make sense at all:
Atton, Mira, and I all go out to Dxun. We encounter the Zakkeg and Mira goes down during the fight.
After Atton and I finish off the Zakkeg she gets back up.
Later, on Dantooine, we encounter a large group of Mercs, who attack us outside the Dantooine cave.
Mira goes down, and Atton soon follows. Then I go down as well, and I receive the message telling me the entire party is dead and I need to load a save game or go to the menu.
So why is it that they can get back up all the time unless I go down as well?
Are we traveling with a bunch of Michael Myers here?
Can somebody explain?
Simple gameplay mechanics, it's not a story aspect of things.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Simple gameplay mechanics, it's not a story aspect of things.
Yeah. This is because the KOTOR games are loosely based on the D20 system, where you're unconscious as long as some of the party are still alive (as long as you don't have -10 hit points - then you're dead - at least I think that's how it works).

That's why the game ends when all of the characters are knocked out.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Te Darasuum Mandalor
Forumite

Current Game: POTC: New Horizons
I've always wondered the same question! However, its not canon that they go down in the fight though.
Te Darasuum Mandalor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Ghost

Current Game: NBA 2k11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcharlton View Post
I've always wondered the same question! However, its not canon that they go down in the fight though.
it does not have to be canon. Unless you did not notice, Kotor/TSL is a ROLE PLAYING Game, so pretty much each choice is not really the canon one. You probably chose some responses that the Female exile never said. Well, also, yes they did not go down in canon, but it does not matter
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > Dead but not really dead?