lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The economics of America's doomsday...solid trunk or load of bunk?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
The economics of America's doomsday...solid trunk or load of bunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon View Post
Someone mind telling me why the US is destined to go to hell?
Preferably without references to religious apocalypses.
This deserved its own thread I think. It, perhaps, will delve off into another topic and would have derailed the dissolving USA 2010 thread.

This is meant to deal with the realities and projections as ther currently are, not as certain people project for one reason or another (salivating for America's dissolving comes to mind most immediately).

Now, from my point of view I do not see that USA is necessarily doomed. While my economics knowledge is admittedly limited, I simply do not see that America has been plainly shot in its vitals with a silver bullet and is waiting to fall down and die. I do believe if certain things stay as they are that America may very gradually fall. That day is not yet here.

I'll try to keep up, but murph, If I know anything about you this is going to be a huge discussion about the economics and pragmatism of the matter. So by all means rail away as that's what this thread is about.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Look at the rest of the world...does their economy look like its in good shape? No.

This is just paranoia that happens with every recession/depression. Keep your heads up.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
Look at the rest of the world...does their economy look like its in good shape? No.
Actually, the US happens to be right in the centre of the recession storm that's brewing over the world. And while impacted, China and India haven't suffered nearly as much as most other nations and they still maintain high GDPs. At least, I can say that we don't have any recession fear-mongering over here. But China and India alone represent a significant fraction of the world's population by themselves, so yeah, they're kind of a in a good shape.

As for whether this recession is the end of America: I don't quite think so. Besides, how does a country fall from just a devastated economy praytell? The only two best examples I can see would be the British Empire losing its colonies and the USSR dissolving into different sovereign nations. America would have to give up Iraq and Afghanistan like hot cakes, if anything. The US mainland is far too well integrated to just dissolve.

Now on the other hand, if America cuts of Alaska, they'd have a lot to gain with no Sarah Palin.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Actually, the US happens to be right in the centre of the recession storm that's brewing over the world.
The U.S. is basically the center of the global economy...so that's to be expected.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > The economics of America's doomsday...solid trunk or load of bunk?