lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Homeschool?
Yes 5 12.50%
Yes: only co-op 0 0%
yes: only at home 1 2.50%
Both 2 5.00%
Used to 5 12.50%
No: would like to though 0 0%
No: I have never and have no interest 22 55.00%
Ya know Yoda Homeschooled! 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll


Thread: Homeschool
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Te Darasuum Mandalor
Forumite
 
Te Darasuum Mandalor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: I be at Sea!
Posts: 688
Current Game: POTC: New Horizons
Homeschool

Who here homeschools or would like to or used to?
Te Darasuum Mandalor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
True_Avery
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,002
Can't say plainly because I think both are flawed, with homeschooling being more-so out of the two.

School sucks. It is an unfortunate part of life, but there you are. You have bullies in both student and teacher form, people judging you all day, and so on. Most people have at least a few friends or acquaintances to hang out with, and you at least have 1 or 2 memorably fun teachers. Between the peer pressure, grading, and misinformation, its can be difficult to come out really educated.

So, most parents assume: lets do it ourselves. I admit, this DOES work as my two cousins were pulled out of their school because one of them was being jumped every day and beaten to a pulp. They now learn at home, and one of them has already skipped 2 grades.

However, I think Homeschooling on principle is... flawed. Most people would assume school is where you learn, but frankly I learned more browsing the internet and 1 year of High School than I did in both middle school and elementary school combined.

What I think public and even private schools offer is the social experience. If you're holed up at home all day working, you miss, despite how ****ing annoying it is, a lot of lessons that school can give. A few kids in High School I met that skipped Elementary and Middle were... incredibly awkward around other people because their super religious mothers had decided to hole them up in their home until High School.

The social experience of school is like being rubbed against sandpaper, but it makes you "tougher", more polished, if it doesn't completely break you, I think. And, if your son or daughter is one to succumb to peer pressure... I highly doubt introducing them to people at High School is going to help their issue at all.

Sure, school has drugs, gangs, and so on but, again, and introduction to this world late, I think, hurts more than it helps. Now, if the school is just overly terrible about this kind of thing, like with my cousins school, then please pull them out before they do something drastic.

But, I've seen too many kids arrive into High School and later after a life of homeschooling and witnessed how utterly ignorant they are. Yes, they have a fine education but knowing every word in a book isn't going to help you in a social environment. Not to mention many of the most religiously ignorant people I've ever met were the fine outcome of a life of homeschooling with a bat**** mother and/or father.

This is just my opinion. My mother was about to pull me into homeschooling after I was deemed too mentally troubled for regular school, but luckily I placed into a rehabilitation class and am better for it. My school life sucked, but I'd still take it over a comfortable homeschooling because I value those experiences more than most.

There are some special cases though. I have a hard time trusting people after a few incidents, and I'd personally recommend pulling your son or daughter if they come out of the closet and plan to at school. Happened a few years back around here and the boy was beaten to death by a gang of kids with baseball bats after school, and you still hear of kids being jumped a lot.

Last edited by True_Avery; 01-18-2010 at 03:07 PM.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
It depends on the school system, TA. If we still lived in Chicago, I'd be home-schooling my kids because the system in Chicago is utterly atrocious. Just going to school in some of the high schools in Chicago and a number of bigger cities is plain dangerous with the gangs and guns. I wouldn't let my children go to unsafe schools. I disagree that later exposure to negative things like violence is bad. I think as we mature we actually gain skills that allow us to deal with those things more effectively.

With the wide variety of good solid home-schooling programs available, along with lots of opportunities for social activities outside of the home school, there is no reason for home schooling to be inferior to any public school system, and many private schools.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
JuniorModder
Junior Member
 
JuniorModder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 371
Being homeschooled allows me to grow much closer to my family, and have deep, mature conversations that wouldn't be able to be had if I was in Public school. I'm allowed to to less work at homeschool because my teacher (my mom) can pay attention to me, and me alone, getting rid of the whole idea of homework.

JM
JuniorModder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Pho3nix
#rekt
 
Pho3nix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,372
Forum Veteran 
As a Finn, I've always viewed the concept of home schooling as something, well, strange. Since I believe the biggest part of why school is fun is because of the friends you hang out with, they pull you through boring classes and so forth. And to be perfectly honest, I think I used the school as a form of escapism where I could forget about the turmoil of my parents divorce and the constant bullying I experienced outside of the school environment. Elementary school in particular got me through some tough times.

Going to school without the social aspect feels utterly horrible. :/

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A House
Posts: 4,043
Current Game: SWTOR
I don't see how anyone would want to be home-schooled, you'd just end up socially awkward, and with a jaded educational experience. The point of going to school is to meet people, form your own social network, and to get your education from a variety of opinionated minds. I'd say that more than the factual accuracy of what you learn, you're better off with an array of viewpoints on the subject than just one. From just a teacher standpoint numerically speaking it's logical to think that you'd gain more knowledge from having a multitude of teachers with different backgrounds and specialties versus having one teacher, whom also at one point may or may not have wiped your ass for you. I'm not trying to attack people that have been home-schooled, because I actually have a few friends that have been home-schooled and they're successful at what they do. I'm just saying that I can't help but wonder how different they'd be if they went to a public/private school.


"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorModder View Post
Being homeschooled allows me to grow much closer to my family, and have deep, mature conversations that wouldn't be able to be had if I was in Public school. I'm allowed to to less work at homeschool because my teacher (my mom) can pay attention to me, and me alone, getting rid of the whole idea of homework.

JM
You're 13, even if you just started being homeschooled you wouldn't have enough experience in a public or private school to make those kinds of judgments.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
True_Avery
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,002
Agreed with Mav and Pho3nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
It depends on the school system, TA. If we still lived in Chicago, I'd be home-schooling my kids because the system in Chicago is utterly atrocious. Just going to school in some of the high schools in Chicago and a number of bigger cities is plain dangerous with the gangs and guns. I wouldn't let my children go to unsafe schools.
I know, and like I said I recommend taking them out like my Aunt did with my cousins in that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
I disagree that later exposure to negative things like violence is bad. I think as we mature we actually gain skills that allow us to deal with those things more effectively.
Differing definitions on Mature, then. I do not think maturity is something to gain simply by aging. Keeping a kid at home all his teenage life does not make a mature kid, I think. Later exposure to something to protect children like fragile wine glasses, I think, causes immaturity while the harsh sandpaper of experience polishes you.

This isn't to say I think you should throw your kid into a gang and force him to play GTA, but kids are not anywhere near as fragile as I think many people believe. Yes, it hurts to grow up but you need to get rubbed to grow calluses.

If an 8 year old in Africa can go to school and support her brothers and sisters alone, then most kids can live through the horrors of public schooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
With the wide variety of good solid home-schooling programs available, along with lots of opportunities for social activities outside of the home school, there is no reason for home schooling to be inferior to any public school system, and many private schools.
Social activities and having to go to school, I think, are different.

In your case and my cousins case I agree to take them out if the school is unreasonably bad, but I think having to go do something you don't particularly enjoy is a life building exercise. You are GOING to have to deal with d***s in life, and you are GOING to eventually have to work in a bad job with bad people.

A social activity is going and hanging out. School is as much a life building exercise for college and work as it is an education system. Despite peer pressure and all that jazz being "terrible", those people do end up being better socially in life because they have more experience with people, good or bad.

It is circumstantial, but I overall think home-schooling prepares you less for life and is inferior in every way except for the increased potential to be book smart.

My primary issue with Home Schooling is you are introduced to differing opinions later in life. One of the main reasons I recommend being social young is you are introduced to other's opinions, reasoning, outlooks, religions, etc. You see lifestyles, and differing people, social norms, and out of the norm.

It breeds ignorance, phobia, and an inability for someone to break out of what they have considered to be the world their entire life up till that point. Like I said, the most ignorant people I met in high school were the home schooled kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorModder
Being homeschooled allows me to grow much closer to my family, and have deep, mature conversations that wouldn't be able to be had if I was in Public school. I'm allowed to to less work at homeschool because my teacher (my mom) can pay attention to me, and me alone, getting rid of the whole idea of homework.
Mature conversation apparently isn't possible in public schooling, which entirely depends on the group you're in which depends on how socially adept you are... which home school, I think, does not prep you for.

But, my main question is, how hard is your mother on you in your homeschooling?

My aunt rings my cousins out like crazy in home school, more so than any teacher I've ever seen. Half the reason my cousin is skipping 2 grades is because she's probably doing upwards of 3 times the amount of work a normal kid does because my Aunt will absolutely not let her become the screw up she grew up to be.

Last edited by True_Avery; 01-18-2010 at 02:57 PM.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I think social activities are part of the public/private school experience, and should be a part of the home school experience as well, and that's why I added social activities to my comments. I think if a parent home schools, it's essential to involve the kids in some kind of outside group activity so that they gain some of the social maturity that you describe. Social activities cannot be optional for home-schoolers, or they have a higher probability of having the problems you fear.

Some kids can do terrific in a public school situation. Some kids do much better in a home school situation. Some parents are great home schoolers, some parents should not be allowed to crack open a teaching manual. The advantage to home schooling is that as a parent-teacher, you know your kids very well, and you can tailor the curriculum to their particular interests and talents. For instance, my son loves wild birds and my daughter loves reptiles. If I were homeschooling, I'd teach science/reading/math modules that involved those things. You can't get that kind of personalization in public school.

There are advantages to public schools--the public school system we're currently in has a phenomenal music program and a fantastic sports program. My kids are never going to be the football/baseball types, but they both like running, and our system has a decent cross country program. I'm taking great advantage of the music program because it's so tremendous here. If my kids stay in the program long enough, it's possible they'll be able, depending on their talent level, to get some music scholarships. That's not something they'd be able to get home schooling. However, not every system has those kinds of opportunities, and some systems are just plain bad. When you're talking about school systems with a 50% failure rate at graduating kids, then home-schooling sounds like a terrific alternative.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
True_Avery
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,002
Yeah, I'd really only recommend home schooling if the schools are utterly terrible... which is an ongoing trend in the US, unfortunately.

Still, despite the schools being terrible, I can't blame them completely because I think even if the school is terrible, if you have a support structure at home you can take it. I think bad parenting is responsible for more dropouts than our system, so unfortunately some kids are screwed regardless of public or home schooling.

The personalization aspect is a great advantage of home school though, I agree. My private class in middle school had many kids in it, but a lot of teacher aids to help everyone. It was very personalized, so I got more out of it than I think I would have gotten in normal classes.

If I could put everyone in my middle school class I would. It was like, the perfect mix of great public schooling and homeschooling. I imagine its like private school, but every person I've seen come out of private school hated it.

Last edited by True_Avery; 01-18-2010 at 03:17 PM.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
What a tough call. Psycho school environment or psycho mom.

I grew up with both.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
True_Avery
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
What a tough call. Psycho school environment or psycho mom.

I grew up with both.
And did you come out alright?
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I can see the Prom being real exciting had I been homeschooled.

Not to mention, thinking about getting my butt whipped in ever intercollegiate sport. Do they have one on one football?

Add On: There is only one reason to go to school for an adolescent male and I certainly hope you are not getting that at home school.



Last edited by mimartin; 01-18-2010 at 03:40 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
And did you come out alright?
Well, I can't trust anyone nearly enough to form meaningful relationships, I firmly believe that love is a lie and I think that life is pretty ****ing pointless.

Does that answer your question?


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin

Add On: There is only one reason to go to school for an adolescent male and I certainly hope you are not getting that at home school.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #16
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A House
Posts: 4,043
Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
Well, I can't trust anyone nearly enough to form meaningful relationships, I firmly believe that love is a lie and I think that life is pretty ****ing pointless.

Does that answer your question?
See, you came out fine! *brofist*


"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #17
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorModder View Post
Being homeschooled allows me to grow much closer to my family, and have deep, mature conversations that wouldn't be able to be had if I was in Public school.
That's an unfair claim to make, especially if you predominantly have experience of only one system of education.

I can't speak for the American education system, but when I was at school, we had plenty of deep, mature conversations. It's pretty hard to discuss certain topics without it turning into a mature discussion (especially certain areas of modern history which I won't bother mentioning).

I wasn't homeschooled, so I can't comment on whether it's good or bad, even though I personally don't rate it at all. And although there were rough parts to my education, on the whole I enjoyed attending school, as I made friends there who I am still in regular contact with, and discovered passions for subjects that I still love to this day.







Last edited by Astor; 01-18-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #18
Te Darasuum Mandalor
Forumite
 
Te Darasuum Mandalor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: I be at Sea!
Posts: 688
Current Game: POTC: New Horizons
I've been homeschooled since third grade and honestly, I find it the supirior education. I live in VA which has the best schools in the country, same with homeschooling in my area. But that's just me. Homestly, I take coatlilian, and believe that I wouldn'd be missing anything prom related. Also, you can make alot of friends through it that have alot in common with you!
Te Darasuum Mandalor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #19
Litofsky
Galaxial
 
Litofsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,546
Speaking from personal experience, school has taught me how to be with/handle other people. Interpersonal communication is one of the most critical subjects to learn as a human being, and that's really the basis of school (besides, y'know, preparing another generation for the workforce).

While I can see the benefits of being homeschooled (lack of bullying, negative pressure [assuming that your parent isn't a nut], increased motive to help you succeed, and many more), I don't think that it's worth one's social skills being stunted.
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #20
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A House
Posts: 4,043
Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcharlton View Post
I've been homeschooled since third grade and honestly, I find it the superior education. I live in VA which has the best schools in the country, same with homeschooling in my area. But that's just me. Honestly, I take coatlilian, and believe that I wouldn't be missing anything prom related. Also, you can make a lot of friends through it that have a lot in common with you!
Woot homeschooling! Also, what is coatlilian?


"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #21
Te Darasuum Mandalor
Forumite
 
Te Darasuum Mandalor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: I be at Sea!
Posts: 688
Current Game: POTC: New Horizons
It's like dancing and dinner and ettquite and outings. Kinda like prom. When your older, you can invite dates.
Te Darasuum Mandalor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #22
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
See, you came out fine! *brofist*
I have to agree with Mav's sarcasm here if you can't even agree with Jim Morrison's sentiment that life is to "(get your) kicks before the whole **** house goes up in flames".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcharlton View Post
I've been homeschooled since third grade and honestly, I find it the supirior education. I live in VA which has the best schools in the country, same with homeschooling in my area. But that's just me. Homestly, I take coatlilian, and believe that I wouldn'd be missing anything prom related. Also, you can make alot of friends through it that have alot in common with you!
****in lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcharlton View Post
It's like dancing and dinner and ettquite and outings. Kinda like prom. When your older, you can invite dates.
so like a cotillion?



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #23
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Woot homeschooling! Also, what is coatlilian?
After trying to work it out myself, I believe it's actually cotillion, which, according to wikipedia, is traditionally a Debutante's ball.






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #24
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
While public school (or pubic school in mimartin's case ) does have an advantage of being "free", you often get what you pay for in the end. I'd tend to agree that it's the parents that make or break the value of homeschooling (even schooling in general). Good homeschoolers are going to look beyond simply book learning and will find other social outlets for their kids in order to avoid "stunting" their development. A hostile learning environment is no better than a "closed off" one and probably worse. There are often better places to find friends than school or even work (social networking, local activities, etc...).


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #25
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.
 
Darth InSidious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Eleven-Day Empire
Posts: 5,765
Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcharlton View Post
Homestly, I take coatlilian,
View page
YouTube Video

Like this?



Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #26
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,979
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I'm with my bro, marty, on this one. Best thing about regular school? The chicks. Beacuse, really, unless you're a creepy pedo, where else are you gonna get it on with teenage girls?

Priorities people!


The thing about school that I discovered, at least for myself, was that there was absolutely no point trying to force me to learn anything I didn't want to learn. If there was something interesting being taught, like history or something, then I'd be in class and listen and do all I could to learn whatever it was and ace everything... otherwise, with stuff that I didn't care about, I just didn't bother with, sometimes not even showing up to class, it didn't matter.

Another thing I've noticed, and I think people are just beginning to understand this only in recent years (at least in Australia) is that the academic side isn't as important for children's learning as their social environment.

If you have a sound social environment, you have less to worry about and end up learning more depending on what kind of kid you are. In my early years of school I struggled socially and was stressed with trying to learn stuff... at times it seemed way too hard. Then, all of a sudden in high school, my social life ended up being really good. Girlfriend, good friends, lots of fun... I found learning stuff to be a lot easier since I was a lot more relaxed.

Granted, I learned what I wanted and said "to hell" with the rest, but that's just me as an individual and no fixed schooling structure is going to keep me conforming to state standards

I can understand why some people home school, though. Parents feel if they cut the social aspect out of school (since many see it as a distraction for their kids) then they'll just focus on the academic side of things...


...I am so glad I was never home schooled. I know for sure that I would have missed out on a lot of great experiences and a lot of fun.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #27
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I'm with my bro, marty, on this one. Best thing about regular school? The chicks.
At that age they're also the worst.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #28
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A House
Posts: 4,043
Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
At that age they're also the worst.
Duct tape is a wondrous material...



"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #29
Quanon
Senior Member
 
Quanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lost in my own unconsiciousens
Posts: 2,600
Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
As a Finn, I've always viewed the concept of home schooling as something, well, strange. .....
Going to school without the social aspect feels utterly horrible. :/
In the same boat here. I don't think it's easy here in Belgium to be allowed to school your children at home. Because, parents are to biased with their own opinions on certain subjects.

In school you at least get a "neutrale" view. I think it's very uncommen in Europe. The school system ain't perfect, but it beats most other countries

Well only on a few certain aspects. Sports and all are often far better handled in the USA, then it is around here...

Can't say much more, cause it is "alien"


TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #30
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Meh, Homeschool is for wusses who can't handle the real life. I like Reg school because, as Lynk said, the ladies, and also it helps me with social skills. I don't know what the point was of creating this thread
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #31
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be
 
Endorenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,140
Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
I've been homeschooled since kindergarden. My mother decided to homeschool my sisters and me because, frankly, the schools in the area didn't offer decent educations. Until I was in the second grade, my mother had my sisters and me in a local social program offered to homeschoolers, just so we wouldn't be afraid to be around people. At that point, the entire program went downhill, so she pulled us out and just educated us at home. From then on, we did plenty of church activities to continue socializing.

My oldest sister has gotten a Bachelor's Degree in commercial writing. She graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 average, and she's getting her Master's Degree right now. Socially, she's done just fine. My other sister just started college last year; she's also doing well socially and academically.

As far as my own education goes--well, I think I have a decent one. My mother, before she started teaching my siblings and me, was an OBGYN and did well in school/college/medical school/residency. She teaches science and math very well; she didn't know much about history, but to teach us, she read literally hundreds of detailed books on the subject. She's followed that pattern since; if she doesn't know something, she uses the internet, library, and anything else she can to learn it so she can teach it to me.

Also, she's very strict about my education; I simply don't get away with D's and F's. If I get a bad grade, I also get the joy of relearning whatever I made that grade on.

As far as my social life...well, it's not great. When I was in junior high, we had to move to a different state, and we have yet to find a church without a snotty youth group. At the church we're going to now, the youth group pretty much shuns me--I don't know why, so I just sit there and read a book until the lesson starts. I have one friend; I only see her on Wednesday nights. Still, I can handle talking to people when the need arises; I will admit that I'm a little uncomfortable talking to boys, but when I have to, I can.

A few people have mentioned that a lot of homeschoolers aren't exposed to other religions and ideas. The main reason I started hanging around on forums (and the reason my mother encouraged me to do so) is so I won't be completely naive concerning other people's views. Also, my mom's been teaching me about other religions and ideas for years, long before I even knew how to use the internet.

I know I'm not going to be as hardened as someone who's gone to public or private school. I also know that I'm getting a lot more science than I would if I were going to public or private school, and I'm probably getting a little more math 'cuz I'm continuing it through the summers.

In the end, homeschooling varies from parent to parent. Some homeschoolers just read a few books and call it school; others are a lot better.

Anyway...I'm gonna go do my homework.


Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #32
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon View Post
Because, parents are to biased with their own opinions on certain subjects.
Luckily here in the U.S. that is not that case. Parents are open-minded and put the best interest of their children ahead of any biases or prejudices.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #33
JuniorModder
Junior Member
 
JuniorModder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 371
Just to let you know, I only started homeschooling when I was 3rd grade, so I'm not completely ignorant ya know. :P

I didn't mean to say that you couldn't have deep conversations in public school, I'm saying you don't have a lot of time to have them with you're parents. They agree with me. My parents are pretty lax, so I get the education I need, and get to keep my wholesome projects (mods, stop motion animation, voice acting) going.

For me, homeschool gives me the perfect amount of schoolwork, to the point where I don't have the problem of not wanting to learn something.

And the whole "not social thing" is total crap. I've got plenty of friends, and being with homeschoolers filters out most types of people that I don't want to know. No offense, but I have no interest in talking to "normal" people. I have friends from church, cooking class, and neighbors.

So in my opinion, homeschool is the best. I don't have to wake up obscenely early, don't drown in homework, get to keep up with my various projects, get dress however I like, get to eat whatever I want, I can help my mom by babysitting while I do school, get to go about doing school at my own pace and at my terms, avoid jerk bullies, and have a social life that is perfect for me.

That is my opinion, if you have a different opinion, "De Gustibus non Disputandum est" (About Tastes there is no argument in Latin)

JM
JuniorModder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #34
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A House
Posts: 4,043
Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorModder View Post
So in my opinion
We know, since you typed it and all.


"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #35
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
goddamn normals and their "world"



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #36
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
Meh, Homeschool is for wusses who can't handle the real life. I like Reg school because, as Lynk said, the ladies, and also it helps me with social skills.
Obviously.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #37
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,431
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorModder View Post
No offense, but I have no interest in talking to "normal" people. I have friends from church, cooking class, and neighbors.
Yes, I'm sure all your friends are just as extraordinary as you.


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #38
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
He's only 13. He'll figure out sooner or later that "normal" people don't suck any more than the people he hangs out with now.

Everyone achieves their own unique level of suckitude, and he's going to have to figure out that the "not normal" people suck just as bad as the "normal" ones before he can move on. That's going to involve the loss of his innocence (which obviously hasn't happened yet) and it won't be pretty, given his level of naiveté. No better time than the present, though.

@JM: On some level or another your parents are full of it and they're lying to you.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #39
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorModder View Post
So in my opinion, homeschool is the best. I don't have to wake up obscenely early, don't drown in homework, get to keep up with my various projects, get dress however I like, get to eat whatever I want, I can help my mom by babysitting while I do school, get to go about doing school at my own pace and at my terms, avoid jerk bullies, and have a social life that is perfect for me.
In short; the professionals disagree with you, the only conclusion they have really made is;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfield (2005)
“So far at least, the results do not indicate home-schoolers are at a disadvantage”
However I found the following study interesting for it's observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaqish (2007)
Historically, homeschooled students seem to have outperformed, on average, non-homeschooled students. However, in recent years, more people are choosing to go into homeschooling for their children for one reason or another, and this may have changed the demographics of home educated students in a manner that impacted the differences of performance on standardized tests between the two groups. But how much change is there in regard to performance on standardized tests is there? To answer this question in part, two datasets of response vectors for homeschooled and for non-homeschooled children for the same form of an ACT mathematics test were obtained. (p. 2)

He then conducted a careful statistical analysis of a large sample of students while controlling for the four background variables of grade level, gender, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status (SES). After employing control of the background variables, Qaqish found a slight difference in scores. “On average, non-homeschoolers performed better than homeschoolers, by about two items, out of sixty items, on the ACT mathematics test that was analyzed” (p. 11). He then posited the following: “This result may be due to the different teaching/learning media used in teaching each of the two groups, to different teacher/student interaction, or to the number of years homeschooled before taking the ACT mathematics test. More investigative research is needed in this regard” (p. 11).
Source; Online Educational Journal (for the U.S.)

“On average, non-homeschoolers performed better than homeschoolers”



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #40
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A 13 year old wise beyond his years
but I have no interest in talking to "normal" people.
Oh, well, good thing none of us are normal here.

Prov. 26:12


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.


Last edited by Jae Onasi; 01-18-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Homeschool

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.