lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Widescreen in Patched TSL...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Widescreen in Patched TSL...

For those widescreen TSL users. You know that the UniWS patcher program only supports the Un-Patched TSL version. Not the updated. Well, I have figured out how to do it.

Thanks to squizzy for the resolution patcher. Which is unable to be downloaded anymore as the website went down.

You will need to download this:
Squizzy_Resolution_Patcher.7z (1.8 MB)

1. Run the swkotor2 config utility.
2. Set the value to 800x600 NOT 1024x768.
3. Hit apply then OK.
4. Unzip the file you downloaded above.
5. Now this is where you have to be careful. Make a backup of your swkotor2.exe, Mss32.dll, and swkotor2.ini.
6. Now copy all the files in the 7z file to your TSL Main Directory and run the patcher. Default path is C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\SWKotOR2
7. Once the patch is finished, open up the game, navigate to the Main Menu > Graphics Options > Screen Resolution and select your custom widescreen resolution. I can vouch for 1920x1080 resolution as I use it, but as for other widescreen resolutions, I've read that anything above 1280x720 (note the game natively supports 1280x720 by changing key values in the swkotor2.ini) works fine.

If the above is not enough, do the next step.

8.After running the patcher, go into swkotor2.ini and, under BOTH "Display Options" and "Graphics Options", change the "Width" and "Height" values to whatever you patched the resolution to ("1680" and "1050" in my case), save and exit.

Enjoy,
-ZM-

EDIT: Due to a recurring problem regarding the patch and Windows 7 PC's, I have decided to post directions on how to solve this. Please ignore the following if you do not experience this.

Certain people running windows 7 have encountered an error with their swkotor2.ini files. Basically what is happening is the permissions are not correct for the game to correctly run. Which makes the swkotor2.ini file appear really short, like this:
Quote:
[Display Options]
FullScreen=1
Disable Movies=0
Disable Intro Movies=0
Sort Modules=1
Width=1920
Height=1200
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60

[Sound Options]
Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]
EnableHardwareMouse=1
FullScreen=0

[Game Options]
TooltipDelay Sec=
Which in the case of this patch, would cause it to work incorrectly. Here is what needs to be done:
Navigate to your SWKotOR2 folder but don't go inside it. Right click and select properties.
Then navigate to the security tab and click the Administrators entry.
In the permissions box you should have Full Control checked. If not check it.
Now open the game and load a level. Then completely close the game. This is to put the appropriate entries into the swkotor2.ini file.
Finally open up the swkotor2.ini and navigate to the width and height values under Graphics Options and change it to the desired resolution.

If all works well, your swkotor2.ini file should be significantly longer and the problem is solved.

~ I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Last edited by ZimmMaster; 03-07-2011 at 10:57 AM.
ZimmMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
We're not supposed to openly discuss this because of one of the files that comes with that patcher.

I will admit, though, that I've been using it for years now (and yes, I own a LEGIT COPY of TSL) and that it works beautifully, though the HUD gets stretched and fugly. I didn't know about having to set the resolution to 800x600 with swconfig first, though. I'll have to try that the next time I install the game.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
We're not supposed to openly discuss this because of one of the files that comes with that patcher.

I will admit, though, that I've been using it for years now (and yes, I own a LEGIT COPY of TSL) and that it works beautifully, though the HUD gets stretched and fugly. I didn't know about having to set the resolution to 800x600 with swconfig first, though. I'll have to try that the next time I install the game.
Yeah, as of now there is no fix for the HUD and the minimap is now innacurrate. Also, as to having the resolution at 800x600, that is what I did and it works for me. But I'm sorry about the files problem. If you and the moderators prefer. I can take down the current link and put up a new one that does not have the swkotor2.exe in it. Would that be satisfactory?

~ I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Q
The one who knocks

I dunno, I'm not a mod. I certainly don't have a problem with it, even with that file, because it's the only way to play TSL in widescreen.

There is, however, a fix for the minimap over at the Widescreen Gaming Forums, made by Sweet(?), aka Stevedroid.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 01-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
I dunno, I'm not a mod. I certainly don't have a problem with it, even with that file, because it's the only way to play TSL in widescreen.

There is, however, a fix for the minimap over at the Widescreen Gaming Forums, made by Sweet(?), aka Stevedroid.
Really? I did not know that. I searched for one but had no luck. Do you know any links?

Old 01-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Q
The one who knocks

Not offhand, no. Just search that forum for anything having to do with KotOR2 and you should find it.

-Toker
Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Not offhand, no. Just search that forum for anything having to do with KotOR2 and you should find it.
OK, thank you. I will. I did not think to check the forums.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:51 AM   #8
X-Plosiv
Lurker

Thanks, i did like you said, but my native resolution in game is max 1024x768, so I did update like you said, then .ini allowed me to put 1440x900, since otherwise I could not get it
X-Plosiv is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
If it is not too much to ask and if it is alright with the Moderators, can this thread get stickied please?

Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Lord of Hunger
Hunger, The Lord Of

Current Game: Shogun 2: Total War
I've followed the instructions for this patcher and it's simply not taking. I'm using Windows 7 Pro. Help?

As of 3/14/10, TSL is restored. The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification by Stoney and Zbyl has been finished and can be downloaded here.

Lord of Hunger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
Q
The one who knocks

It's never worked from the in-game menu for me. After running the patcher, go into swkotor2.ini and, under BOTH "Display Options" and "Graphics Options", change the "Width" and "Height" values to whatever you patched the resolution to ("1680" and "1050" in my case), save and exit.

-Toker
Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hunger View Post
I've followed the instructions for this patcher and it's simply not taking. I'm using Windows 7 Pro. Help?
I don't have Windows 7, so I can't be of much help. Can you tell me exactly what you did?

Quote:
It's never worked from the in-game menu for me. After running the patcher, go into swkotor2.ini and, under BOTH "Display Options" and "Graphics Options", change the "Width" and "Height" values to whatever you patched the resolution to ("1680" and "1050" in my case), save and exit.
That is strange. It worked for me. The values changed automatically. But if this is the case. Do you think I should add your directions as one of the steps?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
Q
The one who knocks

As an "if the above doesn't work" option, sure. That's how I've always gotten it to work.

-Toker
Old 01-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
Lord of Hunger
Hunger, The Lord Of

I used Evil Q's instructions and they fixed the problem. Thanks Evil Q!

My question is, when will someone create some HUD fixes? I could use one for 1920x1080 resolution.

As of 3/14/10, TSL is restored. The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification by Stoney and Zbyl has been finished and can be downloaded here.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #15
Q
The one who knocks

As I indicated earlier in this thread, there is a minimap fix over at the Widescreen Gaming Forums. I believe that there are files for both 16:9 and 16:10, so you'll want the one for 16:9 for 1920x1080.

Unlike KotOR1's static HUD, KotOR2's is dynamic and grows with the resolution. Unfortunately, Obsidian did not take widescreen aspect ratios and uber-high resolutions into account when designing it, so there's no real fix for the huge fugliness, aside from using hotkeys. It's not that bad, and you'll get used to it.

-Toker
Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #16
Lord of Hunger
Hunger, The Lord Of

Wow, why didn't I notice your statement about the minimap fix earlier? I swear I am so oblivious at times....

As for the HUD itself, I can get used to that. I just hope that there is a fix at some point.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #17
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Wow, why didn't I notice your statement about the minimap fix earlier? I swear I am so oblivious at times....

As for the HUD itself, I can get used to that. I just hope that there is a fix at some point.
I certainly do as well. I'm getting tired of the stretched GUI and having to deal with it. But it looks like unless someone completely remakes the TSL GUI, it will nto be done.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
Lord of Hunger
Hunger, The Lord Of

Perhaps the patcher could be modified to insert the highest resolution of the existing HUD? It's better than nothing, TBH.

Btw, if you want I can create a video of the Widescreen for YouTube to showcase this fix. Not to worry, the FPS would be far better than the video I did for your Animation Fix.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #19
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Perhaps the patcher could be modified to insert the highest resolution of the existing HUD? It's better than nothing, TBH.

Btw, if you want I can create a video of the Widescreen for YouTube to showcase this fix. Not to worry, the FPS would be far better than the video I did for your Animation Fix.
I believe that would be fine. I do own FRAPS now though. But no video editing software (looking for one). I am also aware on the improvement of your videos as I've seen them myself. PM me with your progress when you have the time.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #20
Lannister
Lurker

Sorry for resurecting this old thread but i tried to use your patch with my Laptop (max. Resolution 1366 x 768) but that fails because the config utility of TSL does not accept my video card drivers although they are certified Lenovo/AMD divers (ATI 5730)... I can only run the game at 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768.... do you have a solution ?

Cheers in advance,
L.
Lannister is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #21
Q
The one who knocks

1) Can you run the game at all?

2) I'm assuming that you're using a modern version of Windows (i.e., Vista or 7), so did you install the game according to the large-print instructions at the top of the second post in this thread?

3) TSL supports 1280x768 natively. All you have to do is set the with and height values to 1280 and 768 under BOTH "Display Options" and "Graphics Options" in the swkotor2.ini file.

-Toker
Old 12-11-2010, 05:12 AM   #22
Lannister
Lurker

I can run the game, however, when i use the 1280 x 720 resolution I don`t have any dialogue Options anymore......

Is there any help for me ?

Cheers,
L.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #23
Q
The one who knocks

It's 1280x768. You don't have to use the patcher to set the resolution to this. All you have to do is change the width and height values in the .ini file.

-Toker
Old 12-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
Lannister
Lurker

man thanks a lot, I alway typed in 720 p , with 768 everything works fine ingame....
Apart from the movies (Cutscenes) they are still in a very small window (like 320 x 200) or something do you also know a workaround for this ?

And Cheers again, really much appreciated...
Old 12-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #25
Q
The one who knocks

Look for the "high-quality" movie and music patches on FileFront. They're a monster download, so be prepared.

-Toker
Old 02-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #26
danvis
Lurker

Hey guys, I also apologize for bumping this thing up but I really tried everything and still can't get it to work.

I installed TSL on win7, but I can't seem to adjust the resolution to 1900X1200.

I tried everything from the patch of Squizzy to the patch of uniws and nothing works. I tried following the steps here but ran into few problems:

1. My .ini only includes width and height parameters under display options.
2. It won't let me save the .ini after I made the changes.

Can anyone assist please?
danvis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #27
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by danvis View Post
Hey guys, I also apologize for bumping this thing up but I really tried everything and still can't get it to work.

I installed TSL on win7, but I can't seem to adjust the resolution to 1900X1200.

I tried everything from the patch of Squizzy to the patch of uniws and nothing works. I tried following the steps here but ran into few problems:

1. My .ini only includes width and height parameters under display options.
2. It won't let me save the .ini after I made the changes.

Can anyone assist please?
It might help if you posted your swkotor2.ini.

As for saving the .ini, I encountered this myself. Easy workaround is open the ini, make your changes, save it somewhere else (e.x. the desktop), then move it to the swkotor2 folder.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #28
danvis
Lurker

Thanks a lot for the quick response!

As for the .ini

[Display Options]
FullScreen=1
Disable Movies=0
Disable Intro Movies=0
Sort Modules=1
Width=1920
Height=1200
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60

[Sound Options]
Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]
EnableHardwareMouse=1
FullScreen=0

[Game Options]
TooltipDelay Sec=

As you can see I've already edited width and height to what I need in display, but no such parameters in graphic - should I add them myself? Also the game itself will still open in 800X600 (a windowed version), and inside I can't change it to 1920X1200.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #29
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the quick response!

As for the .ini

[Display Options]
FullScreen=1
Disable Movies=0
Disable Intro Movies=0
Sort Modules=1
Width=1920
Height=1200
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60

[Sound Options]
Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]
EnableHardwareMouse=1
FullScreen=0

[Game Options]
TooltipDelay Sec=

As you can see I've already edited width and height to what I need in display, but no such parameters in graphic - should I add them myself? Also the game itself will still open in 800X600 (a windowed version), and inside I can't change it to 1920X1200.
I think I know your problem. For one thing, your .ini is WAY too short. It should look something like this:
Show spoiler

This also explains your lack of ability to use the patch. The height and width values are missing from your graphics options. Now, here is what I think you should try as this worked for me:

Navigate to your SWKotOR2 folder but don't go inside it. Right click and select properties. Then navigate to the security tab and click the Administrators entry. In the permissions box you should have Full Control checked. If not check it. Now open the game and load a level. Then completely close the game. This is to put the appropriate entries into the swkotor2.ini file. Finally open up the swkotor2.ini and navigate to the width and height values under Graphics Options and change it to the desired resolution. See my ini to know where to look. Let me know how this works.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:59 AM   #30
danvis
Lurker

That worked perfectly, thanks a lot!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #31
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
That worked perfectly, thanks a lot!
I'm very glad I was able to help. This appears to be a consistent problem. So I'm going to add this to the top post.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #32
Esoteric_Monk
Lurker

Figured I would post here, to see if anyone had any advice for this issue. I originally posted in this thread, http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...=1#post2769066. Thank you, by the way, for this resolution solution.

Basically my native resolution is 1680 x 1050. With the vanilla KOTOR2 there's not an option for that, so I came looking for a similar widescreen fix as in KOTOR1 and found this thread. Everything works just fine, except for the movies.

Now, with KOTOR1, the movies were actually blown up to fit my resolution. This made them a bit pixelated, but it wasn't anything terrible, as I've played the game before. So imagine my surprise when this wasn't the case for KOTOR2. Yes, I downloaded and installed the high res versions, which look great in the BINK player.

If I go into windowed mode, the movies are the proper size; however windowed mode looks crappier than normal, so that's not an option for me. This affects all "movies," including the beginning logos and such. Very strange.

It's not a huge deal, as again I've played the KOTOR games before, but certainly I would love to find a solution. Any advice or direction to go in is welcome, thank you.
Esoteric_Monk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #33
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric_Monk View Post
Figured I would post here, to see if anyone had any advice for this issue. I originally posted in this thread, http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...=1#post2769066. Thank you, by the way, for this resolution solution.

Basically my native resolution is 1680 x 1050. With the vanilla KOTOR2 there's not an option for that, so I came looking for a similar widescreen fix as in KOTOR1 and found this thread. Everything works just fine, except for the movies.

Now, with KOTOR1, the movies were actually blown up to fit my resolution. This made them a bit pixelated, but it wasn't anything terrible, as I've played the game before. So imagine my surprise when this wasn't the case for KOTOR2. Yes, I downloaded and installed the high res versions, which look great in the BINK player.

If I go into windowed mode, the movies are the proper size; however windowed mode looks crappier than normal, so that's not an option for me. This affects all "movies," including the beginning logos and such. Very strange.

It's not a huge deal, as again I've played the KOTOR games before, but certainly I would love to find a solution. Any advice or direction to go in is welcome, thank you.
I encounter this myself running the hack at 1920x1080 resolution. As far as I know, this is NOT caused by the hack. It is a restriction with the movies. Let me explain:

The game's movies are natively 640x480 resolution. What the movie patches do is raise the resolution up to 1600x1200. Which is the game's highest native resolution. In order to see the movie patches in game your resolution has to be at least 1600x1200. In yours and my cases, we don't meet that requirement. It is a common mistake that took me a while to figure out.

Required res: 1600x1200

Your res: 1680x1050

My res: 1920x1080

You see now? Our width values meet the requirement, but our height values do not. It sucks, yes I know, but I'm not aware of anything that can be done.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #34
Q
The one who knocks

You can get Rad Video Tools and resize each movie to your native resolution.

Be warned that it takes forever, though, even if you have a Core i7, so be sure to back up your work so you won't have to do it again.

-Toker
Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #35
Esoteric_Monk
Lurker

Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimmMaster View Post
I encounter this myself running the hack at 1920x1080 resolution. As far as I know, this is NOT caused by the hack. It is a restriction with the movies. Let me explain:

The game's movies are natively 640x480 resolution. What the movie patches do is raise the resolution up to 1600x1200. Which is the game's highest native resolution. In order to see the movie patches in game your resolution has to be at least 1600x1200. In yours and my cases, we don't meet that requirement. It is a common mistake that took me a while to figure out.

Required res: 1600x1200

Your res: 1680x1050

My res: 1920x1080

You see now? Our width values meet the requirement, but our height values do not. It sucks, yes I know, but I'm not aware of anything that can be done.
Son-of-a-gun, would you look at that. Thank you, Zimmer, for following up with me. I guess I'll just have to deal with the little boxes.

Quote:
You can get Rad Video Tools and resize each movie to your native resolution.

Be warned that it takes forever, though, even if you have a Core i7, so be sure to back up your work so you won't have to do it again.
Hehe, this would take days on my poor comp. It's got muscle, but that muscle is four years old.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #36
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Son-of-a-gun, would you look at that. Thank you, Zimmer, for following up with me. I guess I'll just have to deal with the little boxes.
It's no problem, I'm just glad I could help.

Quote:
Hehe, this would take days on my poor comp. It's got muscle, but that muscle is four years old.
My computer is not that old, but it would likely take longer than a couple days for me. At least while it's bogged down with gigs of music and video while I'm waiting for my new iPod.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #37
Esoteric_Monk
Lurker

Cool Guy

^Haha, too true.

Hey, I've got a rather strange update that actually fixed this issue! So I went into my Nvidia control panel, where you can set custom resolutions, and poked about to see if it would take the resolution of the in-game movies.

It didn't, but that wasn't too much of a surprise to me, as my monitor doesn't support it. I then just played around with some other resolutions, one of them being the highest HD res I could go: 1080p (1920 x 1080). Naturally, this doesn't look too great on a 2.1 in monitor, so I set it back to standard and went on my merry way.

The next day I log into the game and noticed the starter "movies" (the logos and such) were full size, not small. Then as I played I came to an in-game movie of the Ebon Hawk lifting off from a planet and wouldn't you know, it was full size! Well, technically not the full size of the movie, but certainly it fit my screen like a nice widescreen edition, black bars and all.

I'm not sure if this could be repeated, but I'm certain whatever I did had to have kicked something into gear. I hope this may lead you, and anyone else, on the right path.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #38
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
^Haha, too true.

Hey, I've got a rather strange update that actually fixed this issue! So I went into my Nvidia control panel, where you can set custom resolutions, and poked about to see if it would take the resolution of the in-game movies.

It didn't, but that wasn't too much of a surprise to me, as my monitor doesn't support it. I then just played around with some other resolutions, one of them being the highest HD res I could go: 1080p (1920 x 1080). Naturally, this doesn't look too great on a 2.1 in monitor, so I set it back to standard and went on my merry way.

The next day I log into the game and noticed the starter "movies" (the logos and such) were full size, not small. Then as I played I came to an in-game movie of the Ebon Hawk lifting off from a planet and wouldn't you know, it was full size! Well, technically not the full size of the movie, but certainly it fit my screen like a nice widescreen edition, black bars and all.

I'm not sure if this could be repeated, but I'm certain whatever I did had to have kicked something into gear. I hope this may lead you, and anyone else, on the right path.
Do you know if the movies themselves were resized? Or did you just adjust the scaling on your monitor?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #39
Esoteric_Monk
Lurker

Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimmMaster View Post
Do you know if the movies themselves were resized? Or did you just adjust the scaling on your monitor?
The movies are fitting to my native resolution, albeit with the widescreen black bars, automatically, just like KOTOR 1 did. I'm back to my regular scaling and resolution, all I did was muck about as I described above.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #40
K-keen
Lurker

Most new drivers don't support 640x480 by default, so the game try's to show them at that res and will default to what ever the game is set to due to 640x480 not being available. All you need to do is add 640x480 as a custom res through your drivers and the movies should work full screen.
K-keen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Trouble Shooting > The Work Bench > Widescreen in Patched TSL...