lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Autism
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Autism

I'm surprised no one had posted this thread, so I will. In some news shows, they have had specials which discuss Autism. I know Larry King has on CNN, but only a few others have as well. Autism is a genetic disease that occurs before birth, and plagues them for life. I know that there is many variants of Autism. Aspergers is one of them. Some people confuse Autism with down's syndrome, but if you study people who do have very closely, you will notice the difference. Many cannot talk, have a weird personality, and/or are influenced easily by other people, especially by adults. I know there are many other symptoms of Autism, but I'm not good with names. Some parents feel Autism is a curse, others a blessing. Many parents are just not equipped for the challenge.

I read in the Newspaper that people are studying how Autism works, and maybe how to treat it. There has been a debate about it for years, whether to pay attention to it or not. Hopefully we can stabilize our economy, however impossible as it seems, and then it may be possible to fund a program to research some more of it. Like a grant or something. I think a few colleges have applied for a grant to study Autism but I'm not exactly sure

I don't have a direct source, but I have gathered information from various sources over the years. Yes criticize me if you must, but I have done my best. I will research more if i have the time. I would like to know your thoughts on the issue. I have added this as a summary of what I know of the illness
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Tobias Reiper
Spah creepin' around here
 
Tobias Reiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Right behind you.
Posts: 396
Current Game: Various Games.
LucasCast staff 
I actually have Asperger's syndrome, and lemme tell you right nao, if I was given the option to take it away, I'd refuse.
This syndrome keeps things entertaining, and comes with some advantages.
People usually find my oddness entertaining, as well.


"There is no way to be better than everyone else, but being kind and having a sense of humor certainly helps." -Me, my quote on life.
Tobias Reiper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
One of my favorite people in the world is touched by Autism. She is really a second cousin, but in my family she is closer than a niece to me. If something happens to her parents I will become her guardian and I have invested a great deal of my time and income to insure that no matter what she is cared for properly the rest her life.

While I could not love her more if she were completely normal, I would give anything to spare her the difficulties she has endured and will endure due to Autism. Beyond that I have nothing to add to this debate since I am hardly unbiased and it is too emotional of a topic for me.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets
 
VarsityPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 1,252
Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
^ That's really cool.


I am minorly annoyed by each term however. Not because I have anything against autism and/or people with aspberger's, but for other reasons.

My aunt (a character to say the least) has tried to falsely diagnose me with autism on several occasions. Basically, any personality flaw I have is subject for such.

I obsess to easily? Autism
I'm good at math? Autism
I'm too shy to converse with people occasionally? Autism.

Seriously it's quite annoying.

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper
I actually have Asperger's syndrome, and lemme tell you right nao, if I was given the option to take it away, I'd refuse.
Wow, I have that too. I was diagnosed when I was 6. I read in a news article that autistic kids can be smarter than normal. Hmm.

Anyway, Aspergers is not a common variant. Although I do know another person who has Aspergers. He's kind of like me, but younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet
I obsess to easily? Autism
I'm good at math? Autism
I'm too shy to converse with people occasionally? Autism.
I do that too, maybe your aunt's right Being Autistic isn't a bad thing, it's actually a really good experience, although It holds me back on some stuff, it gives me great advantages on the other.

I think I got Autsim from my mom because she has it too.my grandmother says she diagnosed it, but she is a doctor so I gotta take her word for it
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
There is a ton of medical and psychological research going on in the field of autism. There are many university and medical center studies that are getting a lot of federal and state dollars to research this condition. There are probably more dollars going to research things like heart disease and cancer because those diseases kill people, and so any research on life-threatening diseases will get priority from the NIH in the US and equivalent gov't agencies in other countries.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
oh well. True Cancer does kill, my friend died of it (RIP), but still, Autism is my first priority
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
oh well. True Cancer does kill, my friend died of it (RIP), but still, Autism is my first priority
Sorry about your friend.
While it may be your first priority, when the gov't evaluates where to put research dollars, they look at reducing mortality and morbidity. Diseases that kill or seriously impair people get more funding dollars than those that don't. Autism does get quite a few research dollars, but since it doesn't kill, it's not nearly as widespread as things like heart disease or cancer, and people can live and function with this condition in the milder forms, it's not going to get as much attention.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #9
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Hmm. Well, for some people it can be hard to live with Many confused me with ADHD because I have so little symptoms and high functionality (my school district was one, but I think they were just being cheap so they didn't have to pay for my school), but the diagnosis will stand for life. Sometimes it can get out of hand, and you can make baaad decisions, like drugs, get violent, or anorexic (refuse to eat) A lot of kids can go to Juvie hall or Residential for that stuff because:

a. their parents don't care

b. they are tired of their kids

c. the kids purposly seek the attention.

Of course, this is starting to get into ADHD and Bipolarism

EDIT: Oh, and she passed a while ago. Good friend too. While it is sad, I've come to accept it

Last edited by Ghost; 02-03-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Pho3nix
#rekt
 
Pho3nix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,370
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper View Post
I actually have Asperger's syndrome, and lemme tell you right nao, if I was given the option to take it away, I'd refuse.
This syndrome keeps things entertaining, and comes with some advantages.
People usually find my oddness entertaining, as well.
While I'm sure Asperger's syndrome is medically supported and all, I find it ludicrous to diagnose "weirdness" in people.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
No personal attacks on anyone here, please. All of us have a bit of abnormality in them somewhere.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets
 
VarsityPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 1,252
Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
I do that too, maybe your aunt's right
it
It is possible, but I highly doubt it. Besides, such a thing would be difficult to diagnose I imagine, for anyone but a doctor, I mean. My aunt is not a doctor by the way, she's... I don't know... probably a tad autistic herself, and a definite hypochondriac.

I just refrain from diagnosis of any mental issues. Well, self-diagnosis anyways.

On the other hand, I'd rather not be told what's going on in my mind by someone other than myself. [opinion]I just see it as an excuse to justify certain behaviors.[/opinion], but I'm certainly not educated in those fields.

So it's moot point.

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
touche. Autism is hard to diagnose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix
I find it ludicrous to diagnose "weirdness" in people.
I prefer to say it as unique or singularity, more kind. . Many would get mad at what you just said, but I've heard it before so its nothing new to me
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Asperger's is becoming the next ADD.

@JMII: I'd get a second opinion if I were you. I wouldn't let a family member be my doctor any more than I would let one be my attorney. Emotions have a tendency to cloud a person's judgment.

@VP: It sounds like your aunt's the nut in this situation, so just ignore her until you turn 18, then you can say whatever you want to her, like "STFU" for instance.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #15
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
I have had multiple opinions. Five psychologists have seen me. 3 have said I have Aspergers. 1 said ADHD, and the other said Bipolar. I take the majority
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #16
purifier
Forumite
 
purifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: DisneyLand
Posts: 721
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper View Post
I actually have Asperger's syndrome, and lemme tell you right nao, if I was given the option to take it away, I'd refuse.
This syndrome keeps things entertaining, and comes with some advantages.
People usually find my oddness entertaining, as well.
Actually TR...I found some of your philosophical view points, that you've mentioned here in the past, most intriguing. You've brought up some things, philosophically, that I,ve never even considered before. That could be, one of the advantages you have with Asperger's syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
All of us have a bit of abnormality in them somewhere.

What ya mean "All of us have a bit of abnormality in them somewhere", why I'll have you know Momerator, that I'm just simply insane without any abnormalities, thank you very much (though not yet certified). As a matter-of-fact...my 6 foot, white fluffy, carrot eating friend here agree's with me - Isn't that right Sam?......*looks around room*........Sam?!?

Now where in the hell did he hop off too?
Damn'it! He's never around when you need him.

Moderator note [02-03-2010 06:56 PM]

--Jae



SITH HAPPENS

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 02-03-2010 at 06:56 PM.
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
Tobias Reiper
Spah creepin' around here
 
Tobias Reiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Right behind you.
Posts: 396
Current Game: Various Games.
LucasCast staff 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purifier View Post
Actually TR...I found some of your philosophical view points, that you've mentioned here in the past, most intriguing. You've brought up some things, philosophically, that I,ve never even considered before. That could be, one of the advantages you have with Asperger's syndrome.
There's plenty that has gone on in my life to make you think, Asperger's is a part of that, yes.


"There is no way to be better than everyone else, but being kind and having a sense of humor certainly helps." -Me, my quote on life.
Tobias Reiper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #18
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
many people suspect Aspergers make people more smarter, and I think that is true. I'm in 8th grade and I do Geometry for math, thank you Aspergers
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
purifier
Forumite
 
purifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: DisneyLand
Posts: 721
LF Jester 
QUOTE by TR....
Quote:
There's plenty that has gone on in my life to make you think, Asperger's is a part of that, yes.
Well, I would look it as a positive then, I'd say that's a fine quality and a great ability to have IMO - as far as "Asperger's Syndrome" goes.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
many people suspect Aspergers make people more smarter, and I think that is true. I'm in 8th grade and I do Geometry for math, thank you Aspergers

Funny you should mention that, I thought I read somewhere - were they believe that Einstein and Newton possibly had "Asperger's Syndrome."

It would make a lot of sense.


SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #20
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Yeah, people said Einstien was a litte "off" but thats just how he was. Idk if newton has Aspergers though, but it would not surprise me if he did
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Newton was exposed to mercury, which affected him mentally as time went on.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #22
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
ahh, but he did not seem that mentally ill in records, or maybe I misread something
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 AM   #23
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Well, now I wasn't aware asperger's syndrome and autism were anything the same or similar.

I do hate how certain general behaviors and traits automatically gets you labelled as one thing or another.

Have a friend who is autistic. It's not something of his behavior he can control. He has an insanely high grasp of math, and can replicate a 3-d model by sculpting, whatever he's set upon, almost to a tee. I.E. He has molded the dirt and mud in his back yard after the Hollywood highway system, he has also remade what was a photo of Mars' surface. He can't really have a normal conversation and his ways of examination are unusual, aggressive and direct.

(Wonders if generations of breeding super highly analytical people might make a genetic factor.)

Interesting and unusual people. I'm aware it is a condition of the brain, perhaps an abnormality that varies in severity. Some are amazingly and highly functional, others can only paw at walls and crawl around and can't talk--or something similar like that (all cases are different).

Certainly, I'm interested to know the realities (layman's as possible, please) of this. If I am mistaken, please do enlighten me. In general, I think high functioning autistic people can do things average people could not hope to do in logical activities and such.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #24
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Asperger's used to be considered seperate from autism. However, researchers now think Asperger's is a mild variant of autism.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #25
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
I thought that they always knew it was part of autism
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #26
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets
 
VarsityPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 1,252
Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
I do hate how certain general behaviors and traits automatically gets you labelled as one thing or another.
I know, right? I've tried for over an hour to come up with a satisfactory voicing of my opinions on such, but I... just can't. It all pisses me off. Categorizing ****...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilQ
@VP: It sounds like your aunt's the nut in this situation, so just ignore her until you turn 18, then you can say whatever you want to her, like "STFU" for instance.
Oh, yes, she is a total nut. I won't pretend to know what's wrong with her mentally, so I'll say that she's f***ed up in the head.

I'm already older than 18, but I haven't seen her lately anyways. Easier for me, as much as I'd feel empowered by cussing her and my uncle out.

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #27
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post
I'm already older than 18
Oops. Sorry.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #28
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
ahh, but he did not seem that mentally ill in records, or maybe I misread something
No, just an Oedipus complex.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2010, 04:33 AM   #29
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post
I know, right? I've tried for over an hour to come up with a satisfactory voicing of my opinions on such, but I... just can't. It all pisses me off. Categorizing ****...
Oh, It's people running around with a know-it-all mind "diagnosing" everything. A "diagnosis" or knowledge is not an understanding. Of anything. Period. Some people just need to be put back down in their place.

Ever notice how effective this is for reasoning when suggesting putting kids on medications? I think there are several doctors that are in the pockets of pharmaceuticals who also profit off of this. It's like everyone needs to be on pills or something. If not by one's own deficiency, by someone else's standards. It's disgusting.

Also I frown upon people who do a charade to get special attention/treatment as it really is an insult to those with real disabilities. This alone is an entire subject that could fill another thread. However, I don't typically like spending my time looking down on others.

It amazes me how every little thing is a "disability": I haven't met many people who wouldn't (very) generally fit into something. Men it's ADD/ADHD, or women it's bi-polar. If everyone has it, then it doesn't qualify as a handicap or a disability.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #30
Tobias Reiper
Spah creepin' around here
 
Tobias Reiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Right behind you.
Posts: 396
Current Game: Various Games.
LucasCast staff 
^Bah, that bunch just wants to sell us more pills.
Listen, if you're a parent who has a child with ADD or anything like it and the Doctor tries to give you pills, refuse, if your kid is already on Pills, throw them out the window as far as you can.
Your child does not need them, and I did not either. I can function properly without them, in fact, often I'd get called up to the offices and get told that they were putting me in a class that was difficult enough for me, because the classes I were in were too much of a cakewalk.
So really, if I had excellent grades in school without popping pills every morning, why can't anyone else?
Simple Answer:No reason at all. They all can do it if they work hard enough, just as I and dozens of other people have.


"There is no way to be better than everyone else, but being kind and having a sense of humor certainly helps." -Me, my quote on life.
Tobias Reiper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #31
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper View Post
^Bah, that bunch just wants to sell us more pills. Listen, if you're a parent who has a child with ADD or anything like it and the Doctor tries to give you pills, refuse, if your kid is already on Pills, throw them out the window as far as you can.
Your child does not need them, and I did not either.
That's a really stupid attitude. I have ADHD, although I got the hyperactivity under control without the need for pills long ago, Stratera helps me focus in boring classroom environments. Just because it gets over-diagnosed doesn't mean it doesn't exist, in addition most Doctors aren't just out to fill you full of pills to pad their wallets.

HHHHHUUUURRRRRR BOOOTSTRAPS!!!
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #32
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Oh, It's people running around with a know-it-all mind "diagnosing" everything. A "diagnosis" or knowledge is not an understanding. Of anything. Period. Some people just need to be put back down in their place.

Ever notice how effective this is for reasoning when suggesting putting kids on medications? I think there are several doctors that are in the pockets of pharmaceuticals who also profit off of this. It's like everyone needs to be on pills or something. If not by one's own deficiency, by someone else's standards. It's disgusting.

Also I frown upon people who do a charade to get special attention/treatment as it really is an insult to those with real disabilities. This alone is an entire subject that could fill another thread. However, I don't typically like spending my time looking down on others.

It amazes me how every little thing is a "disability": I haven't met many people who wouldn't (very) generally fit into something. Men it's ADD/ADHD, or women it's bi-polar. If everyone has it, then it doesn't qualify as a handicap or a disability.
......

Are you a doctor? Because only Doctors can truly classify disabilities. Calling Autism an "insult" for being called a disability or handicapped is wrong. Heres why: When you are in wheelchair, that is a disability, but with Autism, Bipolar, and ADHD, they struggle every day, even those who say they don't. Many mentally handicapped children go into drugs, especially Bipolar kids. I went to a school which dealt with drugs and achohol abuse as well as other disorders,(also was a school for smart kids) and pretty much all of them had disabilities including ADHD, Autism, and Bipolar.

I'm not saying other types of handicapped like spine injury are lesser, but Autism is much more serious then you assume. And your "special treatment" as you say they get, is not always true. Some can function without it. Usually the "special attention" is only temporary.

On your part of "doctors make a profit" part of your little speech, actually the insurance companies are what make the profit. See, they are all about money. And the pills give both the Doctors and the Insurance companies money. Because most of my medical bills are paid by my insurance, like my pills for instant, but then they get paid eventually. Most Doctors are trained in these disorders to handle them with care, but they aren't all in it for the money.

I'd suggest you read some books on Autism, it would give you more than one opinion on this

Last edited by Ghost; 02-05-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #33
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA
I think there are several doctors that are in the pockets of pharmaceuticals who also profit off of this. It's like everyone needs to be on pills or something. If not by one's own deficiency, by someone else's standards. It's disgusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper View Post
^Bah, that bunch just wants to sell us more pills.
Doctors get zero revenue from selling pills. At most we get a rep bringing us some samples for our patients and perhaps some brand-name pens at conferences. We doctors do not 'push pills' for the sake of getting people on medications. In fact, prescribing medication without an appropriate diagnosis is malpractice. We prescribe based on research presented in medical journals and at conferences about various diseases, and we don't take that responsibility lightly. We have to live with the results of someone having adverse side effects that may be worse than the medications we prescribe, so we are cautious about using the correct drug for the correct time and at the correct dose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper
Listen, if you're a parent who has a child with ADD or anything like it and the Doctor tries to give you pills, refuse, if your kid is already on Pills, throw them out the window as far as you can.
This is, frankly, horrible advice and should not be followed by anyone. Stopping certain medications abruptly can cause severe health and mental problems. Medications should not be stopped suddenly without consulting a medical professional. Medications should be taken as prescribed. If you don't like the diagnosis by the first professional, get a second or third opinion as needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper
Your child does not need them, and I did not either.
It would be wise for you to at least get your medical degree, do your residency, and see the patient, first, before you determine a child does not need medication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper
I can function properly without them,
Just because you are able to function without medications does NOT mean others can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper
in fact, often I'd get called up to the offices and get told that they were putting me in a class that was difficult enough for me, because the classes I were in were too much of a cakewalk.
And your experience as one person means everyone else is going to react the same? That assumption is unwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper
So really, if I had excellent grades in school without popping pills every morning, why can't anyone else?
Because everyone else has different body chemistry, anatomy, and physiology. Have you studied all that for a minimum of 8 years of college and professional school? No? I didn't think so. That's why individuals should consult medical professionals who are thoroughly trained in this condition rather than getting medical advice from a stranger on a Star Wars forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper
Simple Answer:No reason at all. They all can do it if they work hard enough, just as I and dozens of other people have.
Wonderful for you. Not everyone has brain chemistry and physiology that are exactly the same as yours. "Working hard enough" may be entirely ineffective for those whose brains simply don't have enough of or the correct balance of certain chemicals.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.


Last edited by Jae Onasi; 02-05-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #34
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper View Post
^Bah, that bunch just wants to sell us more pills.
Listen, if you're a parent who has a child with ADD or anything like it and the Doctor tries to give you pills, refuse, if your kid is already on Pills, throw them out the window as far as you can.
Your child does not need them, and I did not either. I can function properly without them, in fact, often I'd get called up to the offices and get told that they were putting me in a class that was difficult enough for me, because the classes I were in were too much of a cakewalk.
So really, if I had excellent grades in school without popping pills every morning, why can't anyone else?
Simple Answer:No reason at all. They all can do it if they work hard enough, just as I and dozens of other people have.
Sir, this is perhaps the most irresponsible and most ill thought out post I have ever seen here at Lucas Forums, speaking as an individual from a country where the medication is free for individuals with autism, I fail to see why doctors would give out medication unless they thought patients needed them.

I presume my father who has cardiac hyper-tension (and is also a Doctor) should stop taking his medicine and he would still be fine? (Actually he would only live for a few days, before suffering a pulmonary embolism). Furthermore often mentally ill people think they do not need to continue with medication as they feel better; often their families do not share their sentiments.



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2010, 05:05 AM   #35
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Just a note: That homeschool thread in ahto: I was just being a cyinical *** hole. (Why so serious?) Though on a side note, I'm glad people *do* care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
......

Are you a doctor? Because only Doctors can truly classify disabilities.
Are *you* a doctor? No? Then you're no more qualified than I am.

Quote:

Calling Autism an "insult" for being called a disability or handicapped is wrong.
That's *not* what I said. Clarification: I was lobbying on behalf of those with autism in the face of those who would try to 'ride' the system. Reread what I said.

Perhaps you should ask clarification instead of going off like that?

Don't confuse what I'm saying: there are people who truly HAVE disabilities. Then there are people who although having problems, do not have disabilities. Fitting into one category or another, yes. Over time these ones have shown they have problems because they don't care to move past them.

I'm on your side!

Clear enough?

Quote:
Heres why: When you are in wheelchair, that is a disability, but with Autism, Bipolar, and ADHD, they struggle every day, even those who say they don't.
I never said they didn't struggle nor that they weren't problems. However, if you look at the symptoms of ADHD/ADD and bipolar, they could fit almost anyone. If almost anyone could have it, then it is not a disability. It's a problem, but if it is not a set of uncommon or unusual handicaps then I do not see how it qualifies as a disability. Furthermore, the struggles for these people CAN be worked around and controlled so that they lead a productive life.

I'm willing to make exceptions for cases of those who were naturally born with a chemical imbalance or are hardcases of abuse/emotional disturbance/etc.

For ADHD/ADD: How can you tell me it's legitimately a disability when under select cases I.E. playing video games, or cards, or drawing, etc. they can do it for hours and hours on end without taking a break? They can't focus on anything else like that, but they can do it on video games or fun activities? This shows me they CAN continuously focus on a task, but have selective attention and are at least aware of it enough to differentiate from one task to another. Even with meds, the eventual truth is these kinds of people are just going to have to move past their setbacks and function just like everyone else. Yes, it is more difficult for them--but at the same time most of them could have have some advantages most people don't. Enthusiasm, creativity, perspective.
These people don't have the same hindrances that autistic people do.

I have seen people who are diagnosed "bipolar" but when examining their background I've noticed 2 basic but major differences though there is definitely probability of overlap:

1) Those who actually have chemical imbalances in the brain and are a hair's breadth away from being bat **** nuts. These I'd call legitimate disability: Most of them want to get better or at least function on some level of regularity of society. May be unable to, however, because it is beyond their control. (The best artist I ever knew had this problem and schizophrenia on top, but he went on to do great things and even inspired me to keep trying for better.)

2) Others flip out when pressed for a task or stressed in other ways and they also do it more constantly and severely than most people. These latter bipolars don't have the same sort of disadvantage/internal chemical issues that the other bipolars have. They seem just fine for the most part.

EXCEPTION: For some it stems from home issues and abuse--understandable (I'll give the stronger of cases ones a pass, the marginal ones lenient only to a point). However this is not necessarily the majority of these cases, or we'd have a huge problem with child abuse/neglect in this country. These ones may have a tainted point of view because of their experiences. They have hardship mental and emotional scars from horrible treatment they never deserved and may never quite see things rationally because of it.

Where it *isn't* hardcases of abuse/dysfunction, it is that they don't have good control over their emotional outbursts and are very unstable/insecure.
It eventually boils down to "do they care to actually work around it?" All the meds and good counsel in the world can't do for them what they won't do themselves. They don't control their outbursts and as a result do not function to a level of most others in society. Like the ADD/ADHD crowd, these people do not have the same hardship as Autistic people--or their abused/neglected counterparts.

Quote:
Many mentally handicapped children go into drugs, especially Bipolar kids. I went to a school which dealt with drugs and achohol abuse as well as other disorders,(also was a school for smart kids) and pretty much all of them had disabilities including ADHD, Autism, and Bipolar.
The hole in that argument is: Drugs and alcohol are a coping mechanism to turn to for these people as well as people who don't have these issues.

Quote:
I'm not saying other types of handicapped like spine injury are lesser, but Autism is much more serious then you assume.

Please point out where I specifically invalidated autism? I was on YOUR SIDE. Go back and reread the post--I never invalidated autism (I was actually lobbying in favor of it while frowning at people who try to ride the system). Please try to clarify what another says instead of assuming what they're saying.

Generally: What I am disgusted with are how quick we (as a society, parents, schools, peers) are to give pills for this, pills for that--for everything in general. If medication is needed, then by all means give them the meds they need. For all others whom are not at least a strong to definite/terminal case--other methods should be sought first. There are so many drugs we give kids nowadays. Although they are considered safe, the long term consequences won't be known for some time. I suggest that instead of risking this damage on patients like guinea pigs, that all other methods be tried first in real earnest.

Quote:

I'd suggest you read some books on Autism, it would give you more than one opinion on this
:¬::¬::¬:
You are, again, still assuming I was invalidating autism. I wasn't.

It was a side discussion that I am disgusted how there are so many drugs out there for kids, and how everywhere I turn nowadays: your kid has this problem, get them this drug. Your kid has that problem, have your doctor prescribe them this. I guess I stand corrected about doctors in the mean time.

I could be being unreasonable but, drugs shouldn't be turned to first or second.

Last edited by Darth Avlectus; 02-12-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #36
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
1. Drug's are not the only part of the problem. A lot of kids have to have these pills every day, and no I am not a doctor, but my mom is. Want to talk to her?

2. As I said, Medical Insurance companies are the ones who are ripping us off bit by bit, and that is what makes pills so damn expensive. These pills keep kids, say Bipolar, from going depressed, or getting too energetic. That's why pills are such a big deal.

3. You may be right on your opinion of ADHD, but they still do struggle. Yes I see those kids play vid games all day, but that does not mean they are below the spectrum.

4. As I said, pills are necessary, they aren't what tells who you are, they are what helps you with your "issues", and help you get better.

So I wasn't trying to piss you off, but I guess I may have misread your post. I am sorry for that
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #37
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
1. Drug's are not the only part of the problem. A lot of kids have to have these pills every day, <snip>

2. As I said, Medical Insurance companies are the ones who are ripping us off bit by bit, and that is what makes pills so damn expensive. These pills keep kids, say Bipolar, from going depressed, or getting too energetic. That's why pills are such a big deal.
So then, what? If they are the stronger cases then they need medications--I'm not really contesting that.

Otherwise, all other options ought to be exhausted first because drugs are not always the best solution. What is best accords to the situaiton and the individual.

I'm not saying drugs aren't needed--they should, however, not be the preferred choice to deal with most every case.

Quote:
and no I am not a doctor, but my mom is. Want to talk to her?
You were intent on busting my chops because you disagreed with me--so I gave it right back to you. Nothing personal but please try to understand another's sentiment before laying into them.

Quote:
3. You may be right on your opinion of ADHD, but they still do struggle. Yes I see those kids play vid games all day, but that does not mean they are below the spectrum.
I reiterate: it _IS_ a problem, but you cannot tell me it is absolutely a disability, or that it is beyond the control of the individual.

I never thought I'd say this: I agree w/ TA that students at some point need to step the **** up.

When it comes to underachievement, that's a problem that is not just of parenting, but a societal one as well. We seem to practically embrace and celebrate taking the easy way out, or are used to things being quick and easy.

Quote:
4. As I said, pills are necessary, they aren't what tells who you are, they are what helps you with your "issues", and help you get better.
Well, you're the one telling everyone else to leave a proper diagnosis to the doctor. Practice what you preach and I won't have a problem.

As a doctor would say: Case by case according to what is best for an individual.

Quote:
So I wasn't trying to piss you off, but I guess I may have misread your post. I am sorry for that
Very well.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy

Last edited by Darth Avlectus; 02-06-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #38
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
IMO, autism is overdiagnosed, and has in many ways become the next "fad" disorder. There's a "burden complex" among a lot of parents who think having a "special needs" child makes them oh-so holier than thou. Which only puts more pressure on reasonable doctors to misdiagnose kids in order to make a living. It's all just disgusting.

Of course, the kids who lord their mild autism or aspergers over others like they're superior humans piss me off to no end. People need to stop being so obsessed with being such special little snowflakes.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #39
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Okay, I don't want to argue anymore with you GTA, you've made your point and so have I. Lets leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider
autism is overdiagnosed
Not true, while it is more common than other disorders, it is a very low chance that you could have it. Larry King discussed this on CNN

Quote:
and has in many ways become the next "fad" disorder.
Source? Autism is more important than you think.

Quote:
there's a "burden complex" among a lot of parents who think having a "special needs" child makes them oh-so holier than thou
All parents think their child is important, or even more important than others, so Autistic Kid Parents are not much different than normal parents. They have to go through a lot, especially with low-functioning Autism

Quote:
Which only puts more pressure on reasonable doctors to misdiagnose kids in order to make a living.
Only qualified doctors can be truly sure it is Autism, usually psychiatrists.

Quote:
Of course, the kids who lord their mild autism or aspergers over others like they're superior humans piss me off to no end.
Really, because usually Autistic children are either bullied, harassed, or made fun of because they are "weird" to other kids. I've seen this at many schools which hold both Autistic and Normal Kids. So, in fact, they don't Lord it over other people. Aspergers is a beautiful experience which only few can be in it, but that doesn't mean they/we are better than you or others.

Quote:
People need to stop being so obsessed with being such special little snowflakes.
Its not an obsession, it's a serious issue that many have addressed. This debate is over that issue. As Jae said we all have a little abnormality in us.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #40
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider
Which only puts more pressure on reasonable doctors to misdiagnose kids in order to make a living.
There are plenty enough sick people out there that we reasonable docs don't need to intentionally misdiagnose in order to 'make a living'. Secondly, misdiagnosing leads to a. lawsuits and b. loss of license and c. loss of career. Thirdly, intentionally misdiagnosing to gain more revenue is called fraud, and will get us put in jail along with getting slapped with hefty fines, so we don't do that. OK, there are a rare few try to do that, but they get caught eventually.
If there is going to be a misdiagnosis, it's far more likely that it's because the doctor was skipping doing tests in order to see more patients in a day, and thus missing critical signs of disease. There are 2 people in my entire career of working with hundreds of doctors who I would report to the state boards, and both were running patients through the mill and not doing tests they should have been doing. As a result, they didn't diagnose the diseases that were patently obvious to any 2nd year medical student if they'd just taken the time to look properly. I have read a story about cataracts being over-diagnosed by a surgeon in Chicago, so that the surgeon could get the revenue by doing the surgeries, but that guy ended up in jail after getting caught doing that a few years later.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Autism

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.