lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Autism
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #41
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2
2. As I said, Medical Insurance companies are the ones who are ripping us off bit by bit, and that is what makes pills so damn expensive. These pills keep kids, say Bipolar, from going depressed, or getting too energetic. That's why pills are such a big deal.
Oh really? So then it's not Big Pharma that makes the expensive meds, but the mean ole insurance company that causes them to be oh-so-expensive? Gee, wouldn't it be nice if you could just grow them on trees in your own backyard. So, who's supposed to subsidize "your" meds? Everyone else (through taxes or higher med costs of their own)?

@Jae--I agree. It's also why BO's calculated insult to doctors was so stupid. There are doctors that break the law, but there are people in a whole slew of other professsions that do also. To suggest that they do operations JUST to line their pockets was unnecessarily and incorrectly offensive. That's politics, though, I guess...


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #42
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
i did not say the pharm companies were innocent, they charge us too, in fact I had a problem getting my prescription from the local meds store, so I had to go clear it up as they wanted to charge me more than I agreed for. So they BOTH are the problem.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #43
Shem
Master of the Force
 
Shem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,914
Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Well, I'll join in and admit that I have Asperger's also!


Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #44
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
Aspergers is a beautiful experience which only few can be in it, but that doesn't mean they/we are better than you or others.
This strikes me as very weird. I don't consider my physical disabilities to be anything other than, well, disabilities. What makes the Asperger experience beautiful?


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #45
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis View Post
This strikes me as very weird. I don't consider my physical disabilities to be anything other than, well, disabilities. What makes the Asperger experience beautiful?
You'd have to be Autistic to know I've always been smarter than those in my class, mostly because I think it has been my Aspergers syndrome. It is thought to affect a person's intelligence, usually positively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
Well, I'll join in and admit that I have Asperger's also!
Welcome to the club!
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #46
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
You'd have to be Autistic to know I've always been smarter than those in my class, mostly because I think it has been my Aspergers syndrome. It is thought to affect a person's intelligence, usually positively
You seem so sure of that. If you go around expressing this opinion in real life like you have here you're in for a lifetime of misery, because people will stop at nothing to make you look stupid. You've been warned.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #47
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
You'd have to be Autistic to know I've always been smarter than those in my class, mostly because I think it has been my Aspergers syndrome. It is thought to affect a person's intelligence, usually positively
I don't intend to dismiss your opinion out of hand, but the "you've got to be it to know it" response doesn't say much to me. The corollary of that would be that you would be unable to evaluate other viewpoints. If that's true then I see no possible justification for saying the autistic experience should be described as beautiful (at least, no more than anyone else's). If intelligence is the sole criterion then many people have the same "beautiful experience" without Asperger's, something I guess you'd contest.

I am still curious if you would mind at least attempting to describe why you would say that having Asperger's is a beautiful experience. It's just this kind of terminology reminds me of a case a while back of a blind couple who thought being blind was the best experience, and proceeded to try to have a blind child (something I consider to be effectively maiming another person).


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #48
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
You seem so sure of that. If you go around expressing this opinion in real life like you have here you're in for a lifetime of misery, because people will stop at nothing to make you look stupid. You've been warned.
That's your opinion, not all people are what you say they are, in fact most I find are okay. As the wise man says "Don't judge people before you meet em" . So pretty much life is not a down in the dumps as you say it is, life is a wonderful experience, no matter what brings you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
I don't intend to dismiss your opinion out of hand, but the "you've got to be it to know it" response doesn't say much to me. The corollary of that would be that you would be unable to evaluate other viewpoints. If that's true then I see no possible justification for saying the autistic experience should be described as beautiful (at least, no more than anyone else's).
I am still curious if you would mind at least attempting to describe why you would say that having Asperger's is a beautiful experience. It's just this kind of terminology reminds me of a case a while back of a blind couple who thought being blind was the best experience, and proceeded to try to have a blind child (something I consider to be effectively maiming another person).[/QUOTE]

Usually the best things can't be or are hard to describe. Autism is not a stereotype, while it has taken decades for scientists to really explore its characteristics. Being Blind and Being Autistic are different. They affect different parts of your body, so I add up that you guys think that Autism is just another sad disease that makes people crazy, it is not.

Here is why:

Autism does affect the brain, but there are different variations of it as I said in the opening post. High Functioning Autistic People, Aspergers being in this category, usually are very intelligent, have special talent, and they are also have been known to have big heads. Low Functioning Autistic People have symptoms similar to down's syndrome, but are a little higher functioning. They have little to no vocal communication skills, but can communicate with visual signs, some are lucky to have average vocal skills, people say they walk funny, they also are known to have tantrums more often than the normal two-three year old. However, some scientists are beginning to wonder if the lower functioning Autistic people are actually smarter than the higher functioning, but have no way to express it. The show House has one episode focused on Autism

Source: http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/autism-symptoms

Last edited by Ghost; 02-10-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #49
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,973
I don't think it makes anyone crazy; it's a syndrome that reduces CHA to a greater or lesser degree while (possibly) boosting INT. --Yes, I'm going to burn for that. >_<

There isn't anything wrong with having Asperger's; I was just curious why you thought having a disability was beautiful, because that association strikes me as very, very strange.


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 01:44 AM   #50
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
That's your opinion, not all people are what you say they are, in fact most I find are okay.
Sure they are; to your face. If I recall correctly, people with Asperger's have a hard time reading body language, putting them at a severe disadvantage when determining another's intent. I think they call it "mind blindness", and it makes people with Asperger's very easy to dupe. I could be mistaken about this particular symptom, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II
As the wise man says "Don't judge people before you meet em" .
Whatever. I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II
So pretty much life is not a down in the dumps as you say it is, life is a wonderful experience, no matter what brings you down
Huh? What are you talking about? You're clearly misunderstanding me, here. I'm not being negative; I'm being realistic.

If you don't believe me, then go ahead and broadcast how "smart" you are. You'll learn eventually that people don't appreciate it and will make a fun game out of proving you wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
IMO, autism is overdiagnosed, and has in many ways become the next "fad" disorder. There's a "burden complex" among a lot of parents who think having a "special needs" child makes them oh-so holier than thou. Which only puts more pressure on reasonable doctors to misdiagnose kids in order to make a living. It's all just disgusting.

Of course, the kids who lord their mild autism or aspergers over others like they're superior humans piss me off to no end. People need to stop being so obsessed with being such special little snowflakes.
I agree. When it comes to physiological problems, a diagnosis can be definitively proven or dis-proven. Not so with things psychological, which is why, after 25 years in and out of "treatment", I've come to believe that the "mental health profession" is 10% medicine and 90% fraud.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 02-10-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #51
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets
 
VarsityPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 1,256
Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Generally: What I am disgusted with are how quick we (as a society, parents, schools, peers) are to give pills for this, pills for that--for everything in general.
Yep, the quick-fix pill. It's amazing how many people are obsessed with that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider
IMO, autism is overdiagnosed, and has in many ways become the next "fad" disorder. There's a "burden complex" among a lot of parents who think having a "special needs" child makes them oh-so holier than thou.
Another common belief of mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
We have to live with the results of someone having adverse side effects that may be worse than the medications we prescribe, so we are cautious about using the correct drug for the correct time and at the correct dose.
I take it from the use of "we", that you're a doctor, Jae? Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Not all doctors likely care as much as you do. I was prescribed a nasal spray to deal with vasomotor rhinitis, which as it turns out, was the addictive/habit-forming kind (Flonase, I believe), though he did insist otherwise. Now, I can't say whether he was scheming to misdiagnose me, or just did so out of ignorance/some other reason, but essentially he prescribed me something I didn't need. Now, I realize seasonal colds are a little different compared to mental disorders, but still. There is malpractice out there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q
If you don't believe me, then go ahead and broadcast how "smart" you are. You'll learn eventually that people don't appreciate it and will make a fun game out of proving you wrong.
Seriously. An issue of humility though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon MK
Aspergers being in this category, usually are very intelligent, have special talent, and they are also have been known to have big heads.
I read some prose written by a person with asperger's and they described it as... well "Hell". Can't find the page for the life of me though.

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 03:24 AM   #52
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
You'd have to be Autistic to know I've always been smarter than those in my class, mostly because I think it has been my Aspergers syndrome. It is thought to affect a person's intelligence, usually positively
Whether you mean it this way or not, this comment comes across as incredibly arrogant. You may be in that position now. One thing I've learned in life, however, is that there is always someone who is brighter, better, more talented, wiser, more gifted, more 'X', than I am. It would be unwise to assume that you're always going to be the most intelligent person around. I would recommend the entire book of Proverbs to you, but particularly verses 17:28 and 26:12.

Edit: @VarsityPuppet: Yes, I'm a doctor. And off on a tangent, Flonase is a corticosteroid, and isn't considered addictive. Now, the over-the-counter 'neo-sinephrine' sprays can be 'addictive', in that you get a rebound swelling once the spray wears off about 4-ish hours later, so people get caught in the vicious cycle of swelling, relief, more swelling, needing more of the spray to get relief, more swelling, more spray, etc. It's not technically a true addiction because the rebound swelling does go down after a relatively short time, but people don't like that feeling at all. Since I suffer from vasomotor rhinitis myself (rather annoying condition, if pretty innocuous otherwise), I've found Flonase or Atrovent sprays to be very helpful, Atrovent happens to work better for me. I've used both for years depending on the time of year (only bothers me during allergy season now), and I can go on or off of them at any time, following my allergist's recommendations, with no adverse effects.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.


Last edited by Jae Onasi; 02-10-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 04:19 AM   #53
Shem
Master of the Force
 
Shem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,914
Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
You'd have to be Autistic to know I've always been smarter than those in my class, mostly because I think it has been my Aspergers syndrome. It is thought to affect a person's intelligence, usually positively
Not necessarily true and this is coming from someone who knows what type of mind you have.

What you have is talents that a lot of people don't have. That part is positive. Here's the negative part. You also have weaknesses that a lot of people don't have and you just exploited it by your comment alone.

What you exploited was your lack of tact in your statements. You came off as arrogant like Jae pointed out. I bet you didn't even think twice you were being that way when you originally said it. In fact, you probably were oblivious to that fact until pointed out just now in a sense if you didn't read Jae's statement first.

Making friends and forming close relationships is actually harder for you than your typical average human being. But at the same time those you have bonded with you really formed really strong bonds with.

You probably offend many without realizing it and I bet there were times you find out later and those moments from time to time have surprised you when you did find out trying to figure out what you did wrong.

If anything, be grateful for your strengths that comes with Asperger's and some humility for them while studying other people in their interactions with each other and learn to blend in without sticking out too much with small things like mannerisms.

There are gifts and curses with Asperger's. That's why it's a considered a disability because it does have its weaknesses. The key is to realize those and work on them as it will take years to get better at those.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
Welcome to the club!
It's a club I've officially known I'm in for the last 9 years. I went 25 years of my life not knowing it. Like a lot of kids these days, they get diagnosed very early in life and have support throughout their childhood. That wasn't me. I grew up without that type of support. And I admit there were times I felt isolated and alone as I realized I was different, but didn't understand it.

You see, I graduated high school in 1994, the year the Asperger's was an official diagnosis. That's why I didn't know it when growing up.

My goal in life is that if you get a chance to know me is that is is hard to see that I have Asperger's. I really want the average person I come across to not notice it. I guess that comes with years of practice of not knowing before the age of 25 doesn't go away easy as I still try to come off as just an ordinary person even though if you meet me in real life, I'm about 6'7" and 275 LBS.


Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!


Last edited by Shem; 02-10-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #54
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Whether you mean it this way or not, this comment comes across as incredibly arrogant. You may be in that position now. One thing I've learned in life, however, is that there is always someone who is brighter, better, more talented, wiser, more gifted, more 'X', than I am. It would be unwise to assume that you're always going to be the most intelligent person around. I would recommend the entire book of Proverbs to you, but particularly verses 17:28 and 26:12.
You're right on the arrogant part, but some things have to be experienced first hand. It's just my opinion, but why the big argument over it?Never did I say or ment that I was the smartest thing around. Sure I was saying I was smarter than I would have been without Aspergers, but that doesn't mean I am the smartest thing in the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varisty Puppet
I read some prose written by a person with asperger's and they described it as... well "Hell". Can't find the page for the life of me though.
Sometimes Aspergers can be a gift, or a curse. People do tend to make fun of you because of it, and it can lead you in the wrong direction if you let it control you entirely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
I was just curious why you thought having a disability was beautiful, because that association strikes me as very, very strange.
Everyone has a different view of it, but it gives you gifts and curses. Nobody ever said it was perfect, but it is a learning experience that's for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q
If I recall correctly, people with Asperger's have a hard time reading body language, putting them at a severe disadvantage when determining another's intent.
Some of that is true, but some also are good at reading people's body language. Say Poker. It's all about reading your opponent. And being smart with your bets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q
I think they call it "mind blindness
Source? Few scientists say that, it may impair the brain, but it is not blind, for if it was then no Autistic person could do anything, for even the low-functioning can read signs, write things, and sometimes talk. Doctors do it with them in the recreation centers here in San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q
If you don't believe me, then go ahead and broadcast how "smart" you are.
I only said that maybe twice that I was smarter, don't have to take it personally that I am just saying what gifts I was given by Aspergers, which helped explain part of what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q
You'll learn eventually that people don't appreciate it and will make a fun game out of proving you wrong.
Again, I only stated something that was given by Aspergers. Interpret that anyway you want but I will stand my ground on this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem
You also have weaknesses that a lot of people don't have and you just exploited it by your comment alone.
I may not be that good at debating, but I still can stand my ground. I may have weaknesses that others don't have, but that doesn't stop me from stating my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem
You probably offend many without realizing it and I bet there were times you find out later and those moments from time to time have surprised you when you did find out trying to figure out what you did wrong.
Everybody does that once in a while, because sometimes we do say things that state out point, but do offend others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem
If anything, be grateful for your strengths that comes with Asperger's and some humility for them while studying other people in their interactions with each other and learn to blend in without sticking out too much with small things like mannerisms.
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it, but let me tell you this right now. I have always had trouble blending in, no matter where I go, and somehow in the end I stick out from everybody else. That's something that is a drawback I have, maybe it is part of the Aspergers. So you are correct that everything has a drawback. I do try to work on it, but still I have things to work on.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #55
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
Sure I was saying I was smarter than I would have been without Aspergers,
You can't really be sure of that, though, can you? Seeing as it's something you've always had, you've no way of knowing if you really are smarter than you would have been if you were 'normal'.






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #56
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
Not true, while it is more common than other disorders, it is a very low chance that you could have it. Larry King discussed this on CNN.
Yes I think it's clear I don't care what Larry King thinks on anything. I'll take the opinions of my mother, the therapist, my aunt, the psychologist, and my uncle(who has more degrees than either of us).

Quote:
Source? Autism is more important than you think.
I said "I think", as in: it is my opinion. And "more important" than what? More children in this country have bad vision than autism.

Quote:
All parents think their child is important, or even more important than others, so Autistic Kid Parents are not much different than normal parents. They have to go through a lot, especially with low-functioning Autism.
As I am aware, but that does not make them better parents. Just as having a hard job does not make you a better worker, nor does chewing overcooked meat make you a better eater.

Quote:
Only qualified doctors can be truly sure it is Autism, usually psychiatrists.
I'm quite certain that anyone who disagreed with you you would call "unqualified", and you would be equally quick to call those who agreed with you "qualified", but that's just IMO.

Quote:
Really, because usually Autistic children are either bullied, harassed, or made fun of because they are "weird" to other kids. I've seen this at many schools which hold both Autistic and Normal Kids. So, in fact, they don't Lord it over other people. Aspergers is a beautiful experience which only few can be in it, but that doesn't mean they/we are better than you or others.
Kids are bullied for being white, for being black, for being gay, for being smart, for being stupid, for being girls, for being boys, for wearing certain clothes, for watching certain shows, for eating certain food, or just because somebody has nothing better to do.

And my opinion of you thinking it's a "beautiful experience" can be summed up in:


Quote:
Its not an obsession, it's a serious issue that many have addressed. This debate is over that issue. As Jae said we all have a little abnormality in us.
Which is irrelevent to my point. People are different, they always have been, they always will be. What makes you special is not that you were born with 3 legs, 40 fingers, or a mental condition. What makes you who you are is your accomplishments. The things you do with your life. A condition which was not of your making is not something to be proud of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae
There are plenty enough sick people out there that we reasonable docs don't need to intentionally misdiagnose in order to 'make a living'. Secondly, misdiagnosing leads to a. lawsuits and b. loss of license and c. loss of career. Thirdly, intentionally misdiagnosing to gain more revenue is called fraud, and will get us put in jail along with getting slapped with hefty fines, so we don't do that. OK, there are a rare few try to do that, but they get caught eventually.
If there is going to be a misdiagnosis, it's far more likely that it's because the doctor was skipping doing tests in order to see more patients in a day, and thus missing critical signs of disease. There are 2 people in my entire career of working with hundreds of doctors who I would report to the state boards, and both were running patients through the mill and not doing tests they should have been doing. As a result, they didn't diagnose the diseases that were patently obvious to any 2nd year medical student if they'd just taken the time to look properly. I have read a story about cataracts being over-diagnosed by a surgeon in Chicago, so that the surgeon could get the revenue by doing the surgeries, but that guy ended up in jail after getting caught doing that a few years later.
Because certainly, no doctor ever misdiagnosed a kid with ADD because their parents wanted to put their kids on some pills. Yes, doctors certainly never do unethical things because they always get caught. I'm sorry, but your statement is just silly, just plain and simply it's silly. The idea that everyone who breaks a rule or skirts the line is going to get caught and even if they do, get seriously punished is silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
You'd have to be Autistic to know I've always been smarter than those in my class, mostly because I think it has been my Aspergers syndrome. It is thought to affect a person's intelligence, usually positively
Hmmm, I guess I have aspergers too since I've always been smarter than many of my classmates! Maybe it's just me, but I have no intention of either discussing any conditions I may or may not have, or even caring if there are others I don't know about. I want to be defined by my actions, not by the fact that my brain has a different chemical balance than others.

Quote:
Welcome to the club!
Aspergers is not a special club. This is exactly my problem with kids today, you define yourself by what's wrong with you not by your accomplishments, and even when you accomplish things, it's "in spite of" or "because of" your problem. Come on!


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #57
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
Source? Few scientists say that, it may impair the brain, but it is not blind, for if it was then no Autistic person could do anything, for even the low-functioning can read signs, write things, and sometimes talk. Doctors do it with them in the recreation centers here in San Diego.
This is to what I was referring. I was reciting from memory, but it looks like I was correct. Apparently, it says that the opposite of mind-blindness is empathy, of all things. How interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
Again, I only stated something that was given by Aspergers. Interpret that anyway you want but I will stand my ground on this matter.
It's not how I interpret your behavior that you need to worry about nearly as much as how those within striking distance will interpret them. If you want to get your ass kicked both physically and psychologically on a regular basis, then be my guest. You need to realize, however, that you're setting yourself up for it for the simple reason that most people won't give a tinker's damn that you have Asperger's. Hell, most people have never even heard of Asperger's, let alone know anything about it. They'll just see you as someone in desperate need of an attitude adjustment, and they'll react accordingly.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 02-10-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #58
Shem
Master of the Force
 
Shem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,914
Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
One of the things that I had a hard time understanding growing up was sarcasm. That took a lot of patience to finally understand it. Once I got a better grasp of it, I was introduced to the internet and understanding it there was very difficult for a while and it is a bit still of a small struggle compare to what I did deal with.

Of course symbols like or were not big when I first started using the internet in 1995. And when people did do little appreciations, I totally overlooked them in a sense where I didn't really see what they were using them for.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
It's not how I interpret your behavior that you need to worry about nearly as much as how those within striking distance will interpret them. If you want to get your ass kicked both physically and psychologically on a regular basis, then be my guest. You need to realize, however, that you're setting yourself up for it for the simple reason that most people won't give a tinker's damn that you have Asperger's. Hell, most people have never even heard of Asperger's, let alone know anything about it. They'll just see you as someone in desperate need of an attitude adjustment, and they'll react accordingly.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

@Johnathon-Mk II: Let me remind you of something that I know about you already by seeing your comments. Some of it is Asperger's just because I see some of myself in them and some of it is the attitude you *CHOOSE* to have. I would strongly suggest a bit more humility if I were you, especially since some people will have a hard time understanding you or have the patience to and I believe our personal relationships with our peers is very important in coping in this world.

But you don't have to do anything I suggest. It's your choice. So look at what I'm saying as a strong suggestion and remember that Asperger's is listed as a disability, not something gifted people have.


Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #59
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
alright, I'll try to remember that. Thanks Shem.

@ Q, you're right on the part that not many people understand autism, so I agree there.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #60
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
You're right on the arrogant part, but some things have to be experienced first hand. It's just my opinion, but why the big argument over it?Never did I say or ment that I was the smartest thing around. Sure I was saying I was smarter than I would have been without Aspergers, but that doesn't mean I am the smartest thing in the universe.
You don't have the perspective to make that call. A lack of empathy is one of the effects of autism spectrum disorders.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2010, 01:08 AM   #61
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
You're right on the arrogant part, but some things have to be experienced first hand.
No, some things don't have to be experienced first hand. We can learn just fine from the mistakes and successes others experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-MK II
It's just my opinion, but why the big argument over it?Never did I say or ment that I was the smartest thing around. Sure I was saying I was smarter than I would have been without Aspergers, but that doesn't mean I am the smartest thing in the universe.
a. you don't know if you would have been smarter with or without the Asperger's. Intelligence is controlled by multiple genes and a host of environmental factors.
Why the big argument? First, it's not an argument. It's advice. Second, I prefer people not put themselves into a position where they can be teased or bullied. We're pointing it out here in the hopes that you'll take our advice on arrogance and save yourself some teasing/bullying. If you act like you're intellectually superior in your class or with the people around you, it's not going to go well for you. That's not meant to be an insult, that's meant to be friendly advice. Take it for what you will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnmax221
You don't have the perspective to make that call. A lack of empathy is one of the effects of autism spectrum disorders.
I agree on this in general. Not every single person with Asperger's/autism may experience this, but it is certainly a feature of the disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider
Because certainly, no doctor ever misdiagnosed a kid with ADD because their parents wanted to put their kids on some pills. Yes, doctors certainly never do unethical things because they always get caught. I'm sorry, but your statement is just silly, just plain and simply it's silly. The idea that everyone who breaks a rule or skirts the line is going to get caught and even if they do, get seriously punished is silly.
That's why I qualified my statement by saying no reasonable docs would do that. Are there unethical ones out there? Sure. I don't consider them reasonable docs. Do they get caught eventually? A lot of them do. The guy who was over-diagnosing cataracts got caught because he billed Medicare for a lot more cataract surgeries than his colleagues did. It took awhile to catch him, but not only were the penalties for him very steep (Medicare wanted all of his fees back, plus penalties), but he lost his license permanently, and did jail time for it. That doesn't even begin to touch the civil suits that followed by outraged patients. With so much of billing computerized now, it's very easy to track which docs are using what diagnostic and treatment codes, and track who's billing more of certain procedures than average. Those docs get flagged for investigation and their charts get audited. If the insurance companies find that the doc isn't following accepted standards of care, guess what? The insurance company takes their payment back, along with penalties, and sometimes bounces that doc from their plans. If patients think they're getting over-treated, they report that doc to the state board. The state board investigates. If they find something wrong, that doc can lose his license temporarily or permanently. No reasonable doc is going to risk getting slapped with fraud charges and license revocation.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.


Last edited by Jae Onasi; 02-11-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #62
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Ugh. You guys are taking my statements way too seriously. A. I don't act superior in class, go ahead and criticize me for just saying that, I said I was smart, but that doesn't mean I was the smartest in my class. b. I've seen kids who act superior in class to others, and they get the **** beaten out of em. I don't say "Hi guys, you all are dumbasses, and I am smarter than you. Hahaha" which is just stupid and something which also says "Kick me please", but that doesn't mean I will act indifferent from the class.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2010, 01:39 AM   #63
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
Ugh. You guys are taking my statements way too seriously.
There's no other way to take it unless you qualify it with a smiley or something that indicates there's some humor or non-seriousness involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan-MK II
A. I don't act superior in class, go ahead and criticize me for just saying that, I said I was smart, but that doesn't mean I was the smartest in my class.
Actually, in post 45 you did say this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan-MK II
I've always been smarter than those in my class
This means to me that you do think you're the smartest in your class. It's very hard to read any other intent into that statement than "I'm the smartest in my class". That was why a number of us made the suggestions we did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan-MK II
b. I've seen kids who act superior in class to others, and they get the **** beaten out of em. I don't say "Hi guys, you all are dumbasses, and I am smarter than you. Hahaha" which is just stupid and something which also says "Kick me please", but that doesn't mean I will act indifferent from the class.
You can be defensive if you want, or you can take our advice, which is meant to help you. It's your choice. Getting mad at people here will do you no good, and could be problematic if your posts fall outside the boundaries of the rules. Keep it civil, please.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2010, 02:04 AM   #64
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Okay, you've made your point, I'll take your advice, but i'm too wired to say anything else. Good Night
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #65
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,063
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Wrote I was going to stay out of this thread, but since volunteer duty has made that impossible I’ll add another ½ cent.

Intelligence will only get someone so far in life, how one relates and deals with others is just as important to happiness as being intelligent. That is what makes my cousin’s condition so difficult to me. She amazes me at times with what she comes up with at her age. However, her inability to easily relate meaningfully with others saddens me as it seems like a lonely experience to me. With patience and stubbornness I have built a friendship with her, but most people are not as hardheaded and stubborn as I am. I think she trust me, because even though she is different, beyond being more patient with her, I have not treated her any differently than her brothers or sisters. She holds a special place in my heart, but she is no more or less import to me than the others.

Still if I had to power to make her more like her brothers and sisters, I would. Not because I think less of her, but because I believe it would make her life easier and happier. Since I don’t have that power, I will just make her life as happy as I possibly can.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #66
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
APA officially places aspergers within the autism spectrum. Some Aspies have also started an edit war on wikipedia, because they're mad about being classified, and seemingly have nothing better to do.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #67
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Anyone can edit Wikipedia, so the information can be off. Still, other information it gives is valuable
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #68
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Yes, but crybabies fighting over edits, and being for lack of a better term "Spergmaster Generals" is silly. Also it's important to note that it was the American Psychological Association who reclassified it.

Last edited by Samnmax221; 02-11-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #69
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,063
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
Anyone can edit Wikipedia, so the information can be off. Still, other information it gives is valuable
50 changes in the last few days with 1/2 being undo edits sounds like spam to me.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #70
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I would take the word of the APA over wiki any day.

@mimartin--not that you need my approval or such, but you should be very proud of making a positive difference in her life.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #71
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets
 
VarsityPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 1,256
Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Edit: @VarsityPuppet: Yes, I'm a doctor.
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
And off on a tangent, Flonase is a corticosteroid...
oh really? Whoever told me that then must have been mistaken then.. Oh well.

Either way, it's really weird, because I only just developed it recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider
I said "I think", as in: it is my opinion. And "more important" than what? More children in this country have bad vision than autism.
Myself being one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider
Maybe it's just me, but I have no intention of either discussing any conditions I may or may not have, or even caring if there are others I don't know about. I want to be defined by my actions, not by the fact that my brain has a different chemical balance than others.
QFT ^


Quote:
Originally Posted by =JonathonMKII
I don't say "Hi guys, you all are dumbasses, and I am smarter than you. Hahaha" which is just stupid and something which also says "Kick me please", but that doesn't mean I will act indifferent from the class.
In my experience, that's hardly ever the case, after the 6th grade anyways...
Most people will act like they're smarter than everyone, not necessarily broadcasting it to the world via verbal communication.


Last edited by Jae Onasi; 02-12-2010 at 01:37 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Autism

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.