lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Confirmed Truth Behind Revan & Malak
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #81
Ping
Elementary.
 
Ping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 784
Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
What about the time Saul expects Malak to kill him for reporting Calo Nord's failure, and he doesn't?
The impression I was getting was since Saul failed indirectly, and not directly, was why Malak spared him.


"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #82
Lord Foley
Junior Member
 
Lord Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
What about the time Saul expects Malak to kill him for reporting Calo Nord's failure, and he doesn't?
That may have been mildly surprising, but it doesn't leave him any less one-dimmensional. It proves only that he doesn't have an infantile temper, it doesn't really show any human emotion or motive. He's still all malice, power-hunger, and revenge, even if he can control himself to more effectively crush his enemies.


"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #83
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
That may have been mildly surprising, but it doesn't leave him any less one-dimmensional.
Sure it does. Everyone says that he's a Chaotic-Evil dumb**** with no sense of actual talent or intelligence in any regard at all (it complements the average fangirl's need to elevate Revan by downgrading the main villain).


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #84
Lord Foley
Junior Member
 
Lord Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Sure it does. Everyone says that he's a Chaotic-Evil dumb**** with no sense of actual talent or intelligence in any regard at all (it complements the average fangirl's need to elevate Revan by downgrading the main villain).
Well, I never really saw Malak that way to begin with. I mean, if Revan the supposedly brilliant tactician had him as his right-hand man, I can't imagine he was anything close to incompetent. What Malak is lacking to me is any really human motive or emotion. He seems preoccupied with being evil for no reason other than dominating everyone. I find that to be something of a let down in character development, especially since this person had been a Jedi Knight until fairly recently.


"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #85
Knight Of Honor
Rookie
 
Knight Of Honor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Foley View Post
Well, I never really saw Malak that way to begin with. I mean, if Revan the supposedly brilliant tactician had him as his right-hand man, I can't imagine he was anything close to incompetent. What Malak is lacking to me is any really human motive or emotion. He seems preoccupied with being evil for no reason other than dominating everyone. I find that to be something of a let down in character development, especially since this person had been a Jedi Knight until fairly recently.
In most fairytales or adventure stories we never really get to dive deep into the main villain characters. They mostly serve only as an obstacle for the hero. Just like we dont really get to know much about Sidious in the Original Trilogy. Sure i agree they should have extrapolated more on Malaks character. But i like Malak. He has been a Jedi all his life, he knows stuff! A superficial fool could NEVER be a Sith Lord.

IMO Malak showed some character! We even get to see a shred of his human side just before he died.

But remember that Malak was still pretty young, and with all the power he had, you have to expect some boasting and some talk of crushing enemies.


If we are all clones, why am i the only one with a sense of humor?
Knight Of Honor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #86
Lord Foley
Junior Member
 
Lord Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Of Honor View Post
In most fairytales or adventure stories we never really get to dive deep into the main villain characters. They mostly serve only as an obstacle for the hero. Just like we dont really get to know much about Sidious in the Original Trilogy. Sure i agree they should have extrapolated more on Malaks character. But i like Malak. He has been a Jedi all his life, he knows stuff! A superficial fool could NEVER be a Sith Lord.

IMO Malak showed some character! We even get to see a shred of his human side just before he died.

But remember that Malak was still pretty young, and with all the power he had, you have to expect some boasting and some talk of crushing enemies.
Well I mean, that's fair enough, but it doesn't really make anyone unjustified in thinking Revan is a more interesting and developed character. Even if we don't see any direct development of him, a lot of different characters give accounts of how he acted.


"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #87
Weavel
Rookie
 
Weavel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastila's SW Databank entry
Bastila was instrumental in the last great Republic riposte against Darth Malak and Darth Revan, splitting the pair and conquering one of the Sith Lords. The Jedi Council had learned sketchy details about the Sith plot involving the Star Forge, but needed more information in order to stop it. They crafted a devious and controversial plan into which Bastila Shan figured prominently.

The captive Revan underwent a memory wipe, and was given a new identity. This new persona was paired with Bastila Shan in the search for Darth Malak and the Star Forge.
Bastila kept a wary eye on Revan, always alert at signs of the dark side. Such an awareness opened her to the dark side more than she intended. The quest for the Star Forge, which spanned worlds, kept Revan and Bastila working side-by-side, and thrust Bastila into difficult and challenging roles as a Jedi.Source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Republic Chronicles Part X: Proving Grounds from the old K2 Website

Rather than helping his Master, DARTH MALAK lets the Jedi drag Revan from the throne after attempting a mind-wipe which was only partially successful. Returning to the Council with a comatose Revan, Jedi Masters healed Revan's mind, and implanted a loyal Republic personality.

From what I can see, Kreia's statement that the Jedi wiped his mind and replaced it with a new persona is not a retconn and is referenced in not one, but TWO offical sources, Bastilla even says as much : "What greater weapon is there than to turn your enemy to your cause?"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Erikson on the TOR forums
Wow. Great thread. It's fantastic to see all the excitement around the KOTOR lore. There is much that we obviously arenít revealing but I did want to clear up any misconceptions about what I was talking about in the interview.

* Revan and Malak went into deep space and met the Sith Emperor. They were turned and sent back to prepare the way for the return of the true Sith.
* Being Sith and away from the Emperorís direct influence neither Revan nor Malak followed orders exactly as they were supposed to. Then, of course, Malak betrayed Revan.
* The Jedi took in Revan and returned him to the light, though as it was not a natural turn for him when he went dark, there was much they couldnít undo and they decided to remove his memories and hopefully his taint with it. Yes, Revanís return to the light (and his gender as male) are canon.
* Later Revan returned to deep space to confront what he knew was out there but how much he actually remembered and how clearly he remembered it is still a mystery, as are the events that followed. What we do know is that it took hundreds of years for the Sith to re-emerge as originally planned.

This also works fully with TSL, and is along the same lines as the TSL>K1 retconning of Revan's fall.

Kreia says that Revan fell to the darkside only so that he could prepare the Republic for the True Sith invasion. Who wants to bet that Revan, after finding Traya after her fall to the darkside, simply came out and told her "Oh and by the way, I met the Sith Emperor, he wants me to prepare the republic for his invasion, but, hehehehe, I'm NOT going to."

Kreia herself says she doesn't know everything about it, and that she is also not telling you everything.

TSL doesn't **** up KotOR, nor does TOR **** up TSL, both simply add more depth to the previous entry in the franchise.

Last edited by Weavel; 02-16-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Weavel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-17-2010, 06:21 AM   #88
Knight Of Honor
Rookie
 
Knight Of Honor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Foley View Post
Well I mean, that's fair enough, but it doesn't really make anyone unjustified in thinking Revan is a more interesting and developed character. Even if we don't see any direct development of him, a lot of different characters give accounts of how he acted.
I do agree. Revan is one of my all time favorite characters as well. But i hear so much negative Malak criticism around, and i just think its really unfair.


Weavel
TSL doesn't **** up KotOR, nor does TOR **** up TSL, both simply add more depth to the previous entry in the franchise.

TSL do add more depth. Love it! But with TOR they are starting to **** KOTOR & TSL a little. Im afraid this massive project will kill the KOTOR magic, and turn the franchise into a huge cliché, just like the rest of the Star Wars EU.


If we are all clones, why am i the only one with a sense of humor?
Knight Of Honor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #89
Dak Drexl
Senior Member
 
Dak Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,078
Helpful! 
I don't see what all the fuss with canon is about. Though we all wish it was, we all know that Star Wars is not real (me being one of the more disappointed by this harsh reality :P). None of this actually "happened", so why does everyone care so much about what one guy says "happens"? In my opinion, it's whatever you want it to be. The whole "canon" thing seems to ruin it for a lot of people. I don't care what someone else makes something up to be and I certainly don't let that affect my judgement of it. It's whatever I want it to be. Why all the fuss about canon?
Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > The Confirmed Truth Behind Revan & Malak

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.